ADVERTISEMENT

Vader: Capel and Pitt open with Statement Win against Florida State

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
First off, I think a big congratulations goes to Jeff Capel tonight, our entire coaching staff and assistants, and each player and member of this basketball team and program for the win tonight to establish early season momentum. This was a complete team effort to get the W regardless of the mistakes within the game. This was a statement win for game 1 and an exciting come from behind win over a legit ACC opponent that was a Sweet 16 team last year.

Game Ball- Ryan Murphy- I can’t say enough about his performance. Big shot after big shot was made, great poise, calm, and in complete control during the game. He held his own on defense and wasn’t a big liability on defense.

13 points, 4 rebounds 3 assists, 3-6 from 3 point range, 4-4 and clutch from the line. This team needed an offensive lift in a major way and Ryan Murphy delivered with flying colors in his first game at Pitt with a brand-new team. Hats off to Ryan and well done!

Team defense

Before the game had started I had mentioned I would be dialed in and focused the most on our team defense as I expected it to make a big jump this year. And defensively, this team completely shut down Florida State on offense in the first half and held Florida State to 39% shooting for the game. Without Devin Vessel who had a career game tonight shooting (6-7) for 14 points, the rest of Florida State’s entire team shot a paltry 31% for the game for 47 total team points. Pitt forced 14 turnovers and won the rebound battle by 5 rebounds.

This is a major turnaround so far since last year on defense and the newcomers also delivered and brought it on defense as we won the game by putting the clamps down on Florida State defensively and on the glass.

My expectation of what I wanted to see was to get our defense into the Top 25-50 in defensive efficiency at minimum this year. For the 1st game of the season, job well done, we our well on our way to achieve that.

Rebounding

Winning the rebound battle +5 against Florida State’s team of tall trees is also a statement. But Im not exactly encouraged by Hamilton and Brown getting 6 boards combined, the same number as freshmen Justin Champagnie who hauled in a big 6 boards in only 23 minutes of action in his first game.

Brown had a fair game at best. He shot the ball well and didn’t fumble the excellent entry passes by our guards like he did last year, but he stands around and watches the game a lot. And I mean a lot. Credit our help defense and team rebounding to assist him, but he needs to start attacking the glass for rebounds and stop thinking, or day dreaming, and watching the action. I personally think Brown also looked sleepy in parts of this game and almost tried to avoid contact in certain stretches on defense. Brown finished and made plays scoring the basketball from the entry passes given to him. So credit does go to him for doing so and making the baskets.

Encouraging signs

2 of our preseason team leaders, X and Trey, shot the ball (5-17 ) for 29% today. Xavier Johnson had 1 assist and Mcgowens had a whopping 6 turnovers. Unlike last year where if these 2 players didn’t win the game for us we didn’t have a chance; we just won the game today without either having a strong game. Both of them were average at best tonight.

The 2nd encouraging sign is I felt we didn’t get the breaks in this game and FSU did. Florida State hit 2 really ugly looking 3’s, Toney missed a wide open dunk, we had a number of good looking shots spin out instead of drop from a ½ inch or less on the rim. Florida State also shot (13-15) 87% from the line which will probably be close to their season high in free throw percentage. I mean we won this game without the breaks, which is a very good thing.

Justin Champagnie is going to have some big games this year. 8 points and 6 boards isn’t anything to sneeze at against Florida State. In his former career, he converts his shots at far too high of a percentage for how he shot tonight. If he can hit some 3’s, Big days are ahead for him because he will score on the inside and finish and he knows how to bust a zone defense down. I look for him to feast on teams like Syracuse this year.

Dumgoole had some nervousness. His shot was a little rushed, he didn’t have the proper arc, and was not “smooth” but he will adjust. Decent on defense game 1, didn’t make any major mistakes.

The 2019 class has already begun to make its mark and Coulibaly didn’t even get his chance yet. The class was underrated as I repeatedly said it was. The 4 newcomers only had 4 total turnovers combined. If it wasn’t for Mcgowens careless 6 turnovers tonight, the rest of the team including the freshmen actually took very good care of the basketball with a team combined 8 turnovers minus Trey.

Great win! Im really excited by this even though it was sloppy in the first half. Preseason I was hoping, not predicting, but hoping with our schedule when I looked at it and studied it we could come out of the gate 13-1 or 12-2 in our first 14 games. We just took down the 2nd hardest team and game in our first 14 games in my opinion.

Congratulations to Capel again and the entire team. Lets push the gas down to the floor and keep it going. Statement win tonight,

Go Pitt

First off, I think a big congratulations goes to Jeff Capel tonight, our entire coaching staff and assistants, and each player and member of this basketball team and program for the win tonight to establish early season momentum. This was a complete team effort to get the W regardless of the mistakes within the game. This was a statement win for game 1 and an exciting come from behind win over a legit ACC opponent that was a Sweet 16 team last year.

Game Ball- Ryan Murphy- I can’t say enough about his performance. Big shot after big shot was made, great poise, calm, and in complete control during the game. He held his own on defense and wasn’t a big liability on defense.

13 points, 4 rebounds 3 assists, 3-6 from 3 point range, 4-4 and clutch from the line. This team needed an offensive lift in a major way and Ryan Murphy delivered with flying colors in his first game at Pitt with a brand-new team. Hats off to Ryan and well done!

Team defense

Before the game had started I had mentioned I would be dialed in and focused the most on our team defense as I expected it to make a big jump this year. And defensively, this team completely shut down Florida State on offense in the first half and held Florida State to 39% shooting for the game. Without Devin Vessel who had a career game tonight shooting (6-7) for 14 points, the rest of Florida State’s entire team shot a paltry 31% for the game for 47 total team points. Pitt forced 14 turnovers and won the rebound battle by 5 rebounds.

This is a major turnaround so far since last year on defense and the newcomers also delivered and brought it on defense as we won the game by putting the clamps down on Florida State defensively and on the glass.

My expectation of what I wanted to see was to get our defense into the Top 25-50 in defensive efficiency at minimum this year. For the 1st game of the season, job well done, we our well on our way to achieve that.

Rebounding

Winning the rebound battle +5 against Florida State’s team of tall trees is also a statement. But Im not exactly encouraged by Hamilton and Brown getting 6 boards combined, the same number as freshmen Justin Champagnie who hauled in a big 6 boards in only 23 minutes of action in his first game.

Brown had a fair game at best. He shot the ball well and didn’t fumble the excellent entry passes by our guards like he did last year, but he stands around and watches the game a lot. And I mean a lot. Credit our help defense and team rebounding to assist him, but he needs to start attacking the glass for rebounds and stop thinking, or day dreaming, and watching the action. I personally think Brown also looked sleepy in parts of this game and almost tried to avoid contact in certain stretches on defense. Brown finished and made plays scoring the basketball from the entry passes given to him. So credit does go to him for doing so and making the baskets.

Encouraging signs

2 of our preseason team leaders, X and Trey, shot the ball (5-17 ) for 29% today. Xavier Johnson had 1 assist and Mcgowens had a whopping 6 turnovers. Unlike last year where if these 2 players didn’t win the game for us we didn’t have a chance; we just won the game today without either having a strong game. Both of them were average at best tonight.

The 2nd encouraging sign is I felt we didn’t get the breaks in this game and FSU did. Florida State hit 2 really ugly looking 3’s, Toney missed a wide open dunk, we had a number of good looking shots spin out instead of drop from a ½ inch or less on the rim. Florida State also shot (13-15) 87% from the line which will probably be close to their season high in free throw percentage. I mean we won this game without the breaks, which is a very good thing.

Justin Champagnie is going to have some big games this year. 8 points and 6 boards isn’t anything to sneeze at against Florida State. In his former career, he converts his shots at far too high of a percentage for how he shot tonight. If he can hit some 3’s, Big days are ahead for him because he will score on the inside and finish and he knows how to bust a zone defense down. I look for him to feast on teams like Syracuse this year.

Dumgoole had some nervousness. His shot was a little rushed, he didn’t have the proper arc, and was not “smooth” but he will adjust. Decent on defense game 1, didn’t make any major mistakes.

The 2019 class has already begun to make its mark and Coulibaly didn’t even get his chance yet. The class was underrated as I repeatedly said it was. The 4 newcomers only had 4 total turnovers combined. If it wasn’t for Mcgowens careless 6 turnovers tonight, the rest of the team including the freshmen actually took very good care of the basketball with a team combined 8 turnovers minus Trey.

Great win! Im really excited by this even though it was sloppy in the first half. Preseason I was hoping, not predicting, but hoping with our schedule when I looked at it and studied it we could come out of the gate 13-1 or 12-2 in our first 14 games. We just took down the 2nd hardest team and game in our first 14 games in my opinion.

Congratulations to Capel again and the entire team. Lets push the gas down to the floor and keep it going. Statement win tonight,

Go Pitt
Great win but I'm expecting a loss to Robert Morris next week. Hope I'm wrong on that prediction.

We can be undefeated going into Louisville next month. FSU was in receiving votes category. Not sure where Kansas state was but did not see them in that category. We also have two more games than they do before we play them, which should help the team get valuable reps. WVU at home I see as a revenge game and Robert Morris I think will be first road win in years.

Great win but I'm expecting a loss to Robert Morris next week. Hope I'm wrong on that prediction.
How do you figure PITT loses to Robert Morris?

Just curious.

I cant figure out how that would be possible unless they dont show up.

How do you figure PITT loses to Robert Morris?

Just curious.

I cant figure out how that would be possible unless they dont show up.

It is the inaugural game for Robert Morris's new Gym so that could be a factor in their favor towards a possible although unlikely upset.

However, expect Pitt to go into the game favored by about 15 points (+/- 3-5 pts).

Yeah, I expect Pitt to make a statement against RMU that they are back to being big brother....

It is the inaugural game for Robert Morris's new Gym so that could be a factor in their favor towards a possible although unlikely upset.

However, expect Pitt to go into the game favored by about 15 points (+/- 3-5 pts).
10 ft hoop height...15ft to foul line... I think you will notice these are the same dimensions as Pitt's gym back at Hickory...

Team defense

Rebounding

Encouraging signs

Go Pitt

I mean, they might lose to RMU- just like they might lose any game- but expecting a loss to RMU seems ridiculously pessimistic.

We can be undefeated going into Louisville next month. FSU was in receiving votes category. Not sure where Kansas state was but did not see them in that category. We also have two more games than they do before we play them, which should help the team get valuable reps. WVU at home I see as a revenge game and Robert Morris I think will be first road win in years.
WVU will be a very very tough game.

Reactions: jctrack
Vader, agree for the most part with your assessment except for the part about most of the breaks going FSU’s way. They definitely had one 3-ball down the stretch that I was like, how did that garbage go in. Other than that, it was fairly even, a few of TBrown’s catch and converts bounced and rolled around the rim and luckily fell the right way.

One really big break for Pitt down the stretch was when the FSU guy jabbering with Champagnie got hit with the technical and we got the 2 pts we otherwise wouldn’t have at a time when the score was close and time was ticking down. The FSU guy likely deserved it but when they showed the replay, his back was to the camera and all you saw was Justin doing all the jawing.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Yeah, I expect Pitt to make a statement against RMU that they are back to being big brother....
No disrespect to RMU, but of the 6,000 fans at that game, I would have to imagine most are Pitt fans even if they have an allegiance to RMU. Would I be off base on that assumption?

One really big break for Pitt down the stretch was when the FSU guy jabbering with Champagnie got hit with the technical and we got the 2 pts we otherwise wouldn’t have at a time when the score was close and time was ticking down. The FSU guy likely deserved it but when they showed the replay, his back was to the camera and all you saw was Justin doing all the jawing.

I didn't see exactly what happened live, but since Champagnie's technical was a non-shooting one and the FSU player's was a shooting one, that means that all Champagnie did was jawing, and the other guy obviously did more than that. Especially since they went to the replay to make that call.

I mean I guess you could say it was a break that our player kept his composure a little better than their player did, but is something like that really a break?

Reactions: cabe23
I didn't see exactly what happened live, but since Champagnie's technical was a non-shooting one and the FSU player's was a shooting one, that means that all Champagnie did was jawing, and the other guy obviously did more than that. Especially since they went to the replay to make that call.

I mean I guess you could say it was a break that our player kept his composure a little better than their player did, but is something like that really a break?

I'm watching the replay and visually, the FSU guy didn't go anything more than Justin. The announcers suspected he got called for what he actually said. Teddy was pretty close by and could have heard it.

Reactions: jctrack
I'm watching the replay and visually, the FSU guy didn't go anything more than Justin. The announcers suspected he got called for what he actually said. Teddy was pretty close by and could have heard it.

But here's the thing. The original call was a simple double "regular" technical. They only went to the monitor after Capel was yelling at them to check it. And after they looked at the monitor they changed the call on the FSU player to a flagrant technical. So if he got it for what Teddy heard him say, why no call originally and what would they have seen on the monitor (do they even get sound on those feeds?) that would have made them change the call?

Yeah I thought it was a really nice break that we got 2 pts at a critical time not necessarily for anything good that we did on the court but something dumb done by an opposing player. Even more of a good break if Champagnie and the FSU guy were equally at fault and only the FSU guy got hit with the shooting technical. But like I said, I couldn’t tell one way or the other based on what they showed on TV.

Reactions: sschmerin
But here's the thing. The original call was a simple double "regular" technical. They only went to the monitor after Capel was yelling at them to check it. And after they looked at the monitor they changed the call on the FSU player to a flagrant technical. So if he got it for what Teddy heard him say, why no call originally and what would they have seen on the monitor (do they even get sound on those feeds?) that would have made them change the call?

No idea. Watching the replay on TV really didn't explain it. Hamilton didn't seem to have any kind of a beef though.

Do we know for sure that the original call was a double T? I didn't see that call personally, but someone around me said that was the call. The announcers first said it was a double T. But I never actually saw that on the replay.

They players were saying fsu player elbowed Champagnie in the neck

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
No idea. Watching the replay on TV really didn't explain it. Hamilton didn't seem to have any kind of a beef though.

Do we know for sure that the original call was a double T? I didn't see that call personally, but someone around me said that was the call. The announcers first said it was a double T. But I never actually saw that on the replay.
I think the announcers got it wrong

the FSU free throws were for the foul called before the technical .
The FSU player has to have the only tech
Or FSU would have shot 4 free throws

Reactions: Pitt5593
I found this on line, I think it might explain the situation, but to be honest I am not sure.

"When multiple technical fouls are committed during the same dead
ball period, at least one of which is a single contact dead ball technical
foul or a single flagrant 2 technical foul, play will resume as if the last
committed single contact dead ball technical foul or single flagrant 2
technical foul was the only foul committed"

I think that's our situation. Multiple technical fouls during the same dead ball period, one of which was a contact dead ball technical while the other was not. So then play will resume as if the last committed single contact dead ball technical was the only foul committed. Which means, I think, that they ignore the non-contact technical and enforce the contact technical. If there had been only one technical, a contact technical on Florida State, then we would have shot the two technicals, and then the game would have proceeded with FSU shooting their foul shots. And that is how they proceeded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT