Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Spring Addition

John Hugley Season ending stats

24 ppg

13.4 rpg

4.6 assist per game

41% 3 point shooter

Statistically for a Pf / Center, John Hugley had a season for the ages. His numbers across the board were beyond dominant as he broke the single season all time points record, the single game assist record, and the single game points record all in the same year. He was unanimously named the player of the year as he was unstoppable most of the season scoring, rebounding, and passing his senior season.

Stylistically, John Hugley is needed in so many ways. Hugley is a physical bruiser that will rebound. He plays bully ball on both ends and I have said previously he has a lot of Chevy Troutman characteristics with his body, wingspan, and craftiness under the hoop. While being extremely physical could lead to some foul problems in the ACC, this team needs someone that can command and control the paint, push players out of the paint, pass from the paint and finish in the paint. As a large bonus Hugley can shoot very well for a big man from 3 point range.

John Hugley has an ACC level body right now. His conditioning, which has been a huge problem in the past is also far better now than in any point in his career. He has worked very hard and his numbers show it. His impact at Pitt will be felt and significant from day 1.

His high school coach, Chet Mason, is on record recently stating that Big John is one of the Top 25 best players in the entire country right now in Chet’s opinion. Statistically, Hugley had at worst a Top 25-50 Nationally rated performance his senior year. His passing ability for a big man at this stage is ridiculously Elite and much needed.

Femi Odukale Final Season Stats

17.5 ppg

8 rpg

9 assist per game

2.7 steals per game

59% Fg percentage

39% 3 point shooter

82% foul shooter

Like John Hugley, Odukale had one of the best senior seasons in the entire country in every single facet of the game while breaking the schools all-time single season assist record. Most players only dream about having a triple double 1 time in their entire career. Odukale was close to averaging a triple double for the entire season against Elite competition as he consistently beat the brakes right off the opposing teams defense.

For months Jeff Capel single handily pushed in all the chips to land this player much like he did with RJ Davis who he lost to North Carolina. There was no 1A choice and that includes Jalen Warley, this “was” the top choice made specifically by Jeff Capel. With what had backfired previously with RJ Davis and Capel going “all in” now came to fruition with Odukale.

Odukale is oozing with potential and is a complete stat sheet stuffer. A 6’5 athlete with a 6’11 wingspan that is versatile and plays the game at a ferocious pace. He is the primary disrupter on defense off the full court press and the trap and forces a lot of turnovers with his wingspan and speed while pushing the transition offense. He was the driving and consistent catalyst on offense all season long with his Elite level vision and passing for Springfield. As a surprise and major bonus, he shot just under 40% from 3 with his rapidly improving jump shot which he has worked very hard on.

He is already 19 years old and is much more seasoned and ready to play significant minutes early. I fully expect Odukale to make a significant impact next year and he has an NBA body right now.

It should also be noted that Odukale lives in the gym. He is relentless with trying to improve and like a typical New Yorker, plays with a moxy and swagger with a major chip on his shoulder for being under rated. He has and plays with a major junkyard dog old school nastiness and attitude that Jeff Capel loves.

“Early” Player comparison- Denzel Valentine Michigan State

My early prediction for next season is that Hugley, Odukale, and Horton will be significant contributors and Amadasun and Collier will be minor contributors. I expect Amadasun and Collier to help more on defense and on the glass with limited roles. Collier is still quite raw on offense and shooting after this season at Westtown but he will help with our press defense and substantially help in our 2-3 zone defense as Westtown plays a lot of 2-3 zone with traps.

I also think even with Will Jeffress likely coming to Pitt and with Jeffress shot making improvement “this” season, Jeffress is also behind Hugley, Odukale, and Horton at this time in terms of early impact. And while that is not a slight to Jeffress but rather, I am saying that Capel has hit a home run with these 3 players on next years team.

Last year there was quite a bit of debate about the 2019 recruiting class when I called the class “underrated”. Some people chose to throw in the towel after a meaningless all star game last year on our 2019 recruiting class. At seasons end, Justin Champagnie as a true freshman led the team in points and rebounds and Karim Coulibaly was starting to raise his level of play significantly as the season finished. Ill give Drumgoole a pass as a freshmen for the time he missed with the foot injury. The season prior Xavier Johnson, a true freshman, led the team in scoring.

I believe this 2020 class coming in currently (including Horton in 2020) is without question the best recruiting class with talent to date under Jeff Capel and Im not sure it’s even close. Jeff Capel has praised Horton all season long as arguably our best player and I think we have 2 studs in Hugley and Odukale coming in. Collier and Amadasun have more than enough “potential” and athletic ability to develop in time.

In closing, this team needs a lot of help and we are getting it next year. In my opinion, getting Odukale is absolutely huge. A majority of the players Jeff Capel has recruited have proven to be underrated whether they chose Pitt or another team and many of these players have risen in the final rankings over time (Grad Transfer roster fill-in players like Murphy and Hamilton do not count).

This trio of Horton-Odukale-Hugley should have everyone beyond ecstatic. Add Jeffress and the gland slam class for 2020 is completed. Then add in 5 star guard Rodney Gallagher and we are moving up significantly in the standings and rankings in the future.

This 2019-2020 season did not finish like many had hoped because of a severe lack of team depth, 3 point shooting, and team rebounding along with a lack of upperclassmen leaders. Next year I believe we are taking a significant step forward because of the new additions and the new additions ability to fix our biggest team weaknesses. I also think it is very possible at least 2 of these players either start or see major minutes while all 3 have significant contributions. I also expect Ithiel Horton to be a major weapon on offense. And I believe Horton is going to prove he is a very deadly outside shooter from 3 starting in game 1 next year.

Exciting times are ahead…

Spring Addition

24 ppg

13.4 rpg

4.6 assist per game

41% 3 point shooter

Statistically for a Pf / Center, John Hugley had a season for the ages. His numbers across the board were beyond dominant as he broke the single season all time points record, the single game assist record, and the single game points record all in the same year. He was unanimously named the player of the year as he was unstoppable most of the season scoring, rebounding, and passing his senior season.

Stylistically, John Hugley is needed in so many ways. Hugley is a physical bruiser that will rebound. He plays bully ball on both ends and I have said previously he has a lot of Chevy Troutman characteristics with his body, wingspan, and craftiness under the hoop. While being extremely physical could lead to some foul problems in the ACC, this team needs someone that can command and control the paint, push players out of the paint, pass from the paint and finish in the paint. As a large bonus Hugley can shoot very well for a big man from 3 point range.

John Hugley has an ACC level body right now. His conditioning, which has been a huge problem in the past is also far better now than in any point in his career. He has worked very hard and his numbers show it. His impact at Pitt will be felt and significant from day 1.

His high school coach, Chet Mason, is on record recently stating that Big John is one of the Top 25 best players in the entire country right now in Chet’s opinion. Statistically, Hugley had at worst a Top 25-50 Nationally rated performance his senior year. His passing ability for a big man at this stage is ridiculously Elite and much needed.

17.5 ppg

8 rpg

9 assist per game

2.7 steals per game

59% Fg percentage

39% 3 point shooter

82% foul shooter

Like John Hugley, Odukale had one of the best senior seasons in the entire country in every single facet of the game while breaking the schools all-time single season assist record. Most players only dream about having a triple double 1 time in their entire career. Odukale was close to averaging a triple double for the entire season against Elite competition as he consistently beat the brakes right off the opposing teams defense.

For months Jeff Capel single handily pushed in all the chips to land this player much like he did with RJ Davis who he lost to North Carolina. There was no 1A choice and that includes Jalen Warley, this “was” the top choice made specifically by Jeff Capel. With what had backfired previously with RJ Davis and Capel going “all in” now came to fruition with Odukale.

Odukale is oozing with potential and is a complete stat sheet stuffer. A 6’5 athlete with a 6’11 wingspan that is versatile and plays the game at a ferocious pace. He is the primary disrupter on defense off the full court press and the trap and forces a lot of turnovers with his wingspan and speed while pushing the transition offense. He was the driving and consistent catalyst on offense all season long with his Elite level vision and passing for Springfield. As a surprise and major bonus, he shot just under 40% from 3 with his rapidly improving jump shot which he has worked very hard on.

He is already 19 years old and is much more seasoned and ready to play significant minutes early. I fully expect Odukale to make a significant impact next year and he has an NBA body right now.

It should also be noted that Odukale lives in the gym. He is relentless with trying to improve and like a typical New Yorker, plays with a moxy and swagger with a major chip on his shoulder for being under rated. He has and plays with a major junkyard dog old school nastiness and attitude that Jeff Capel loves.

My early prediction for next season is that Hugley, Odukale, and Horton will be significant contributors and Amadasun and Collier will be minor contributors. I expect Amadasun and Collier to help more on defense and on the glass with limited roles. Collier is still quite raw on offense and shooting after this season at Westtown but he will help with our press defense and substantially help in our 2-3 zone defense as Westtown plays a lot of 2-3 zone with traps.

I also think even with Will Jeffress likely coming to Pitt and with Jeffress shot making improvement “this” season, Jeffress is also behind Hugley, Odukale, and Horton at this time in terms of early impact. And while that is not a slight to Jeffress but rather, I am saying that Capel has hit a home run with these 3 players on next years team.

Last year there was quite a bit of debate about the 2019 recruiting class when I called the class “underrated”. Some people chose to throw in the towel after a meaningless all star game last year on our 2019 recruiting class. At seasons end, Justin Champagnie as a true freshman led the team in points and rebounds and Karim Coulibaly was starting to raise his level of play significantly as the season finished. Ill give Drumgoole a pass as a freshmen for the time he missed with the foot injury. The season prior Xavier Johnson, a true freshman, led the team in scoring.

I believe this 2020 class coming in currently (including Horton in 2020) is without question the best recruiting class with talent to date under Jeff Capel and Im not sure it’s even close. Jeff Capel has praised Horton all season long as arguably our best player and I think we have 2 studs in Hugley and Odukale coming in. Collier and Amadasun have more than enough “potential” and athletic ability to develop in time.

In closing, this team needs a lot of help and we are getting it next year. In my opinion, getting Odukale is absolutely huge. A majority of the players Jeff Capel has recruited have proven to be underrated whether they chose Pitt or another team and many of these players have risen in the final rankings over time (Grad Transfer roster fill-in players like Murphy and Hamilton do not count).

This trio of Horton-Odukale-Hugley should have everyone beyond ecstatic. Add Jeffress and the gland slam class for 2020 is completed. Then add in 5 star guard Rodney Gallagher and we are moving up significantly in the standings and rankings in the future.

This 2019-2020 season did not finish like many had hoped because of a severe lack of team depth, 3 point shooting, and team rebounding along with a lack of upperclassmen leaders. Next year I believe we are taking a significant step forward because of the new additions and the new additions ability to fix our biggest team weaknesses. I also think it is very possible at least 2 of these players either start or see major minutes while all 3 have significant contributions. I also expect Ithiel Horton to be a major weapon on offense. And I believe Horton is going to prove he is a very deadly outside shooter from 3 starting in game 1 next year.

Are we involved with anyone else besides Jeffress in this class?

I think the most important thing in all this is that the trend in filling the roster is going in the right direction . Now all the we need to win now guys just need to let these kids come in and adjust to the college game without all the negativity towards the coaches and players .

I think the most important thing in all this is that the trend in filling the roster is going in the right direction . Now all the we need to win now guys just need to let these kids come in and adjust to the college game without all the negativity towards the coaches and players .
Yes please. THESE ARE KIDS.

Reactions: BPKY and jctrack
Spring Addition

24 ppg

13.4 rpg

4.6 assist per game

41% 3 point shooter

17.5 ppg

8 rpg

9 assist per game

2.7 steals per game

59% Fg percentage

39% 3 point shooter

82% foul shooter

Great write up but you left out Jalen Hood-Schifino who is arguably Pitt's best and highest ranked recruit since Steve Adams - exciting stuff moving forward for sure though - H2P!

Can someone knowledgeable speak to Hugley’s level of competition?

So Jeffress is likley coming to Pitt? If we can land him this would be our best class in a looooong time and balanced also

Spring Addition

24 ppg

13.4 rpg

4.6 assist per game

41% 3 point shooter

17.5 ppg

8 rpg

9 assist per game

2.7 steals per game

59% Fg percentage

39% 3 point shooter

82% foul shooter

Lets get Jeffress now. This is why we got Jeff Capel to coach at Pitt. I think the level of recruit is improving each year. I am really excited about Femi. I am surprised that he is not rated higher than he is. Perhaps it is just a case of coming on late with his ability to play the point. That body he has and the length are going to make us a very versatile player.

It is hard not be excited about Hugley and Horton as well. They both appear to be the real deal. Most importantly tho, they both address the most serious needs that the team has. We are getting a kid who can battle inside and a real shooting guard who can actually shoot. It has been a few years since we have had either.

Despite the transfers, the arrow is truly pointing up. The team is going to be young and talented and finally have a complete roster with real depth, especially if we do add Jeffress.

Coach Capel is the man. We have a five star point guard coming down the road and I expect more high profile recruits in the future. Keep the faith boys, Capel is going to deliver.

Additional notes and replies

Besides Jeffress, Adama Sanogo is still strongly considering reclassification. Ive heard rumors about Mac Etienne and a few others on a potential reclass, but Adama is still the most likely that we have a chance with. We need another guard (3 point shooter) obviously and look to be scouting the transfer market. With over 350 kids now on the transfer list which is still growing, there will be plenty to choose from to try and find a quality shooter.

I would think / hope we will land someone better than Ryan Murphy, who’s shooting leaves a lot to be desired with the amount of wide open clean looks he missed this year. Anyone that can make wide open jumpshots from 3 is a welcome addition. There will be plenty of clean looks from the perimeter with the passing ability from X, Odukale, and Big John next year. Horton will, not should, but will feast from 3 point range next year.

The competition John Hugley played against this season would be considered respectable or above average for overall high school competition / prep. He played a few Nationally ranked Top 25-50 ranked teams but that isn’t the norm. With no disrespect to his team or Coach, the teams from the Grind Session, the CHSAA, the WCAC, Nepsac, ect.. are on a significantly different level when looking at the whole schedule. The teams that Odukale, Amadasun, and Collier faced this year on a consistent basis are the crème of the crop at the high school level. Hugley played a few powerhouse teams and his team lost by 20+, but again that wasn’t the norm for the schedule he faced. Hugley carried his team, he had inexperienced young guards playing with him.

There is plenty of information on Odukale here. I would encourage spending some time watching some video and writeups. You can see with ease Femi’s potential, his passing ability, his athletic ability and length, and his much improved shooting ability. There are games on here where you will watch him sink 10+ free throws in a single game. There are also games on here where you will watch him bury a flurry of 3 point shots. And these are teams that are loaded with D1 talent.

If you are short on time, start with Putnam Science. They have at least 6 D1 players on their roster including two 4 star Top 150 guards. Femi posted big numbers against them, twice. At least one of these Putnam games was streamed live on the internet to watch, ballertv used to carry it and I believe it was on facebook too and I know it was on twitter. A number of the showcase games were also streamed live for the full games. They may or may not still be online.

https://www.thehoophustle.com/femiodukale

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13825767/femi-odukale

Besides Jeffress, Adama Sanogo is still strongly considering reclassification. Ive heard rumors about Mac Etienne and a few others on a potential reclass, but Adama is still the most likely that we have a chance with. We need another guard (3 point shooter) obviously and look to be scouting the transfer market. With over 350 kids now on the transfer list which is still growing, there will be plenty to choose from to try and find a quality shooter.

I would think / hope we will land someone better than Ryan Murphy, who’s shooting leaves a lot to be desired with the amount of wide open clean looks he missed this year. Anyone that can make wide open jumpshots from 3 is a welcome addition. There will be plenty of clean looks from the perimeter with the passing ability from X, Odukale, and Big John next year. Horton will, not should, but will feast from 3 point range next year.

The competition John Hugley played against this season would be considered respectable or above average for overall high school competition / prep. He played a few Nationally ranked Top 25-50 ranked teams but that isn’t the norm. With no disrespect to his team or Coach, the teams from the Grind Session, the CHSAA, the WCAC, Nepsac, ect.. are on a significantly different level when looking at the whole schedule. The teams that Odukale, Amadasun, and Collier faced this year on a consistent basis are the crème of the crop at the high school level. Hugley played a few powerhouse teams and his team lost by 20+, but again that wasn’t the norm for the schedule he faced. Hugley carried his team, he had inexperienced young guards playing with him.

There is plenty of information on Odukale here. I would encourage spending some time watching some video and writeups. You can see with ease Femi’s potential, his passing ability, his athletic ability and length, and his much improved shooting ability. There are games on here where you will watch him sink 10+ free throws in a single game. There are also games on here where you will watch him bury a flurry of 3 point shots. And these are teams that are loaded with D1 talent.

If you are short on time, start with Putnam Science. They have at least 6 D1 players on their roster including two 4 star Top 150 guards. Femi posted big numbers against them, twice. At least one of these Putnam games was streamed live on the internet to watch, ballertv used to carry it and I believe it was on facebook too and I know it was on twitter. A number of the showcase games were also streamed live for the full games. They may or may not still be online.

Thanks Vadar. Was looking for more info on Femi.

i hate over hyping Horton - all based on a few clips from Youtube and Capel's comments. None of us have seen him play in a Pitt uniform.

I think he'll be a very nice player, however if the kid isn't Klay Thompson from the get go I'm afraid of the reaction on this board and social media. For the sake of not running this kid out of town, let's pump the breaks on the expectation that he'll be our best player next year.

Do you feel Femi can back up at PG? If not, I think we need one. That is, unless Horton can.

Can someone knowledgeable speak to Hugley’s level of competition?

It’s big suburban schools up near Lake Erie. He’s playing against a bunch of Mt. Lebanons, USCs, and North Alleghenys. I spent some time in Willoughby and Mentor several years back and they have are very similar to what you find in some of the bigger Pittsburgh suburbs.

Also similar to Pittsburgh, I would be shocked if the best schools from that district didn’t get absolutely smoked by any City League school every time they played.

Highest level in the state of Ohio. Division 1
That's a great question. Here's a comparison. Dejuan Blair played at the highest level in PA and tore it up and won a championship. But really where he got major props and rankings, is in AAU against top 50 competition, he would put up 25 pts and 20 rebounds game after game.
Did Hugely play any AAU and what was his results??

It’s big suburban schools up near Lake Erie. He’s playing against a bunch of Mt. Lebanons, USCs, and North Alleghenys. I spent some time in Willoughby and Mentor several years back and they have are very similar to what you find in some of the bigger Pittsburgh suburbs.

Also similar to Pittsburgh, I would be shocked if the best schools from that district didn’t get absolutely smoked by any City League school every time they played.

Okay. That is much needed perspective.

Highest level in the state of Ohio. Division 1
That's a great question. Here's a comparison. Dejuan Blair played at the highest level in PA and tore it up and won a championship. But really where he got major props and rankings, is in AAU against top 50 competition, he would put up 25 pts and 20 rebounds game after game.
I don’t think so. And, I don’t think he will have the presence that Blair had. Blair was an animal.

17.4 MPG, 9.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG. 53.3% from the floor, 67.8% from FT line, and shot 2-9 from 3 combined at the Peach Jam and on the EYBL circuit.

Indy Heat is a pretty solid AAU program.

https://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/32972671

Do you feel Femi can back up at PG? If not, I think we need one. That is, unless Horton can.

Yes, I do. I am a little concerned how he would fare as a true freshmen against a legit ACC full court press with regard to turnovers, but in the halfcourt he should be fine. His handle is a little loose. But he just transitioned to point guard and has flourished doing so. 9 assists per game against the competition he went up against game in and game out this year is big time and there is zero sugar coating that.

With regards to Horton, Horton made 79 three point baskets as a true freshmen at 41%. He's already more than proven he can hit open shots which is what he will be counted on to do. Justin Champagnie depended on others to set him up with open looks to score and it worked well this year for Justin in that role. Horton's biggest strength is shooting. Others will set him up. He just has to make them.

Im going to further touch on Hugley's schedule. Brush played a complete mixed bag of teams this year. St. Vincent St. Mary and St. Edwards were two of the best teams in the entire country. They were Top 20 Nationally ranked teams and both of them could / would beat any team from any division from PA regardless of class including the powerhouse PCL league.

SVSM has 2 borderline 5 star guards a lone. Pitt is recruiting Sencire Harris in 2022 which is one of those players. A chunk of the teams Hugley went up against are Top 100-500 level teams. Teams like Loraine, Mentor, Cleveland Heights, First Love, etc.. These are decent teams. Some of the teams are also quite bad. But there are more than enough quality teams on his schedule for the remarks I had made that he faced respectable above average competition.

For example, Brush beat Kennedy PA this year by 35 points. Will Jeffress and Mcdowell beat the same team by 8 points.

For the person that had asked, Hugley's AAU stats were solid. But he is far better now including his conditioning as opposed to last summer. His body transformation has been pretty incredible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Protes and TWPitt
i hate over hyping Horton - all based on a few clips from Youtube and Capel's comments. None of us have seen him play in a Pitt uniform.

I think he'll be a very nice player, however if the kid isn't Klay Thompson from the get go I'm afraid of the reaction on this board and social media. For the sake of not running this kid out of town, let's pump the breaks on the expectation that he'll be our best player next year.
I get why Jeff is hyping him up... needs to in order to create a mystique after two bad seasons.

I also don’t get it. Certainly he has to realize playing in practice with no fear of playing time being redistributed gives you a sort of freedom no player can really enjoy. They also don’t get yelled at in practice during the redshirt year because they’re on the scout team and not really being coached.

I’ve never heard of a guy who sat out that coaches didn’t hail as the best player ever.

Reactions: Ski11585
Yes, I do. I am a little concerned how he would fare as a true freshmen against a legit ACC full court press with regard to turnovers, but in the halfcourt he should be fine. His handle is a little loose. But he just transitioned to point guard and has flourished doing so. 9 assists per game against the competition he went up against game in and game out this year is big time and there is zero sugar coating that.

With regards to Horton, Horton made 79 three point baskets as a true freshmen at 41%. He's already more than proven he can hit open shots which is what he will be counted on to do. Justin Champagnie depended on others to set him up with open looks to score and it worked well this year for Justin in that role. Horton's biggest strength is shooting. Others will set him up. He just has to make them.

Im going to further touch on Hugley's schedule. Brush played a complete mixed bag of teams this year. St. Vincent St. Mary and St. Edwards were two of the best teams in the entire country. They were Top 20 Nationally ranked teams and both of them could / would beat any team from any division from PA regardless of class including the powerhouse PSAL league.

SVSM has 2 borderline 5 star guards a lone. Pitt is recruiting Sencire Harris in 2022 which is one of those players. A chunk of the teams Hugley went up against are Top 100-500 level teams. Teams like Loraine, Mentor, Cleveland Heights, First Love, etc.. These are decent teams. Some of the teams are also quite bad. But there are more than enough quality teams on his schedule for the remarks I had made that he faced respectable above average competition.

For example, Brush beat Kennedy PA this year by 35 points. Will Jeffress and Mcdowell beat the same team by 8 points.

For the person that had asked, Hugley's AAU stats were solid. But he is far better now including his conditioning as opposed to last summer. His body transformation has been pretty incredible.
How’d they fair against First Love and how did Gordon play that game? I’m particularly interested in his success at pSU now that we need another guard.

https://youtu.be/X73zy6vTmm

Regarding Horton, this video to me explains the hype we have for him at the 2 guard position, guy has great range and plays without fear shooting from long range. If we get 15-17 ppg from him I would be happy.
I think he’s going to be a player but expecting 15-17 out of him you basically are putting him on an All ACC team. Hoping he hits the ground running

How’d they fair against First Love and how did Gordon play that game? I’m particularly interested in his success at pSU now that we need another guard.

Gordon was one that JC made a mistake on IMO. I think he’s going to be really good. Said it for a while. He keeps making big strides in his game.

I get why Jeff is hyping him up... needs to in order to create a mystique after two bad seasons.

I also don’t get it. Certainly he has to realize playing in practice with no fear of playing time being redistributed gives you a sort of freedom no player can really enjoy. They also don’t get yelled at in practice during the redshirt year because they’re on the scout team and not really being coached.

I’ve never heard of a guy who sat out that coaches didn’t hail as the best player ever.

JC could love the kid and think he’s the next Curry but it makes no sense to hype up the kid and put unnecessary pressure on him. I prefer under promise and over deliver. With that being said I believe he will have a good year. One thing we know is he is extremely important because as of now he is the only proven shooter on the team although it was at a lower level.

After watching that video tribute to him and what he did in Delaware he looks like he's the truth and he's had a whole year to practice his skills against the defense of X, Trey and Toney to get himself better. I'm beginning to believe why JC is high on him.
JC could love the kid and think he’s the next Curry but it makes no sense to hype up the kid and put unnecessary pressure on him. I prefer under promise and over deliver. With that being said I believe he will have a good year. One thing we know is he is extremely important because as of now he is the only proven shooter on the team although it was at a lower level.

After watching that video tribute to him and what he did in Delaware he looks like he's the truth and he's had a whole year to practice his skills against the defense of X, Trey and Toney to get himself better. I'm beginning to believe why JC is high on him.

No problem and Trey probably saw after getting outplayed in practice everyday he would not get near as much PT. The kid could and will probably be the real deal. But as was said by others JC does not have his job on the line, he basically said he’s pretty much the best 2G in the ACC. That’s a lot of unnecessary pressure on the kid IMO. Less talk and more action from JC. Show us don’t try to sell us.

I for one see no reason for JC to talk up a player sitting out unless that player deserves the recognition. Unlike KS who was well aware of how bad the talent was on his team and was struggling for his job with a new AD in place , there is no such pressure on JC . He has the full support of his AD and a nice extended contract , he has no reason to tell fish stories . If he’s full of it and Horton comes in and shits the bed JC loses a lot of credibility with the fans and media . Plus why would X say what he did about Horton ? I believe JCs evaluation he’s been around special players and why would he put a lot of undo pressure on the kid ?

I for one see no reason for JC to talk up a player sitting out unless that player deserves the recognition. Unlike KS who was well aware of how bad the talent was on his team and was struggling for his job with a new AD in place , there is no such pressure on JC . He has the full support of his AD and a nice extended contract , he has no reason to tell fish stories . If he’s full of it and Horton comes in and shits the bed JC loses a lot of credibility with the fans and media . Plus why would X say what he did about Horton ? I believe JCs evaluation he’s been around special players and why would he put a lot of undo pressure on the kid ?
There’s no pressure... but we still suck.

JC has been about 50/50 on recruits here. Not sure he gets where he should be recruiting here yet. He clearly oversold him as the best player they’ve played this year. If you can’t agree with that, you must think JC shit smells like roses.

Also, remember all the hype we heard about Murphy and working out with Steph curry and that his actual playing stats didn’t matter! Sheesh guys, this only happened 9 Months ago.

People can say what they want about Capel.
But to me, he doesn't really seem to blow smoke very much.
Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Reactions: Chaos and Tonyt66
FWIW, ESPN has a list of the top transfers in all categories (grad transfers, midyears, transfers from last season who will be eligible next season, transfers from this spring who will have to sit out next season, a list that obviously will be changing as more players enter the portal). In the category of transfers from last year who will be eligible this fall they have Horton ranked as the 25th best player. Five of the players ahead of him are also going to ACC schools.

At this point they have McGowans ranked second on the list of players who will have to sit out next season.

Reactions: Ski11585 and gary2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT