Hugley stats vs Top teams

Loraine- 24 points, 18 rebounds, 4 assists

St. Edwards-19 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists

Cleveland Heights-32 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists

First Love-16 points, 11 rebounds

St. Mary-St. Vincent- 21 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists

Cleveland Heights (Playoffs) -16 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists

Mentor (Finals) -35 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists

Bulk of the stats are from Chet Mason(high school basketball coach), and reporters from Cleveland.com, Nates Barnes, Matt Goul and the News-Herald and a few other resources. A lot of the bad teams the game was over before halftime or earlier. The 2 toughest teams on the schedule were St. Edwards and St. Mary-St. Vincent followed by Mentor in the playoffs.

His best game was against Mentor for the Title with his 35 points 15 board herculean effort. His team lost by 2 in the Finals. Bob Krizancic, Mentor’s Coach, said Hugley was the 2nd toughest player he faced in his career after that game. Lebron James was #1. Bob has coached for 38 years and has over 600 wins.

For the person asking me about Gallagher and why I mentioned him. Rodney is a 5 Star Guard and a Pitt lean at this time. He is the highest rated player on our board regardless of class at this time. Generally speaking I don’t like taking about recruits multiple years out because so much can change and players develop at different rates.

Rodney Gallagher is an exception because he is a very rare Elite basketball talent that is likely playing at Pitt. From what I understand Jeff Capel has offered a total of 3 freshmen basketball players total in his entire career. Gallagher is the 3rd and Im surprised the offer didn’t “officially” come earlier. He is a massive talent.
Let’s see.. Do I trust Coach Bob Krizancic or our self proclaimed board gurus regarding Big John?

He failed to get to 20 pts in 3 of the 7 games and had 21 and 24 in the other games. I have no idea how many shots he had to take to score those points. Hugley will be good but those points at his size as well as his AAU stats don't tell me he in a top 40 immediate impact player coming in.

Its not that simple. The teams in the high school power leagues and the Top 50 National teams generally play shut down defense and a number of them press and trap. Without good guards the game is over before it starts. St. Edwards for example pressed Brush and Hugley’s team committed 25 turnovers as they couldn’t compete with the guards or the pressure to even set up the offense.

Here are the POY’s from these leagues and some former Pitt players

PCL Philly-Rahsool Diggins averaged 19ppg and 4apg as the PCL poy. Isaiah Wong won it last year at 21ppg and 3 as the PCL POY.

WCAC-Hunter Dickinson was the WCAC POY with 17PPG and 10RPG. Justin Moore won it last year with 17 points and 7 rebounds and 4 assists.

CHSAA-RJ Davis-26 points, 5 assists, Andre Curbelo last year 15 points 9 assists

Hugley’s numbers are Elite and better than Dickinson’s. Keep in mind, you are using the 2 best teams on Hugley’s entire schedule, teams that would heavily challenge to win any of these power leagues as they are 2 of the best high school teams regardless of division in the entire United States.

These are Pitt players that came from these 3 leagues above (or similar) and what they did.

Brad Wanamaker-PCL Philly player of the year. Averaged 17ppg and 8 boards per game as a senior in high school. NCAA college basketball All American Honorable mention as a senior.

Justin Champagnie-1st Team all Chsaa. Averaged 19ppg and 9rpg in high school. One of the top freshmen in the ACC.

Levance Fields-CHSAA player of the year. Averaged 18ppg and 7apg in the CHSAA. NCAA All American Honorable Mention

Xavier Johnson-WCAC POY-Averaged 18ppg and 4apg in high school

James Robinson-WCAC-Averaged 11ppg and 6 apg in high school, 1st team all met

Mike Young- St. Benedicts NJ-Averaged 15ppg and 5rebounds per game as a senior

Sam Young-Hargrave Miltary-23ppg and 11rpg and National Prep POY. 3rd team college All American and All American Honorable Mention

Talib Zanna-WCAC-1st team All Met, 14ppg and 11 rpb in high school. All ACC Honorable Mention

Hugley is right in line with some of our best recruits from the power leagues and overall best players in the last 20 years for what they accomplished in high school and what they accomplished at Pitt. Using the 2 best teams on Hugley’s entire schedule, 2 Top 20 Nationally Ranked teams overall including all divisions of play with St. Edwards and SVSM, Hugley averaged 20ppg and 12.5 rebounds per game. That is plenty to be exited about.

I know who it was. I remember opposing coaches praising Kevin Stallings for the job he was doing at Pitt too. Coaches praise means zilch.
You’re right to a certain extent. AAU/high school coaches praise is ultimately limited as far as being a determiner. They simply create what I’d call good will toward the prospect in the mind of recruiters/coaches but it’s up to the player to prove he is special. No one is accepting a coaches praise if it isn’t backed up by skill set, measurables, performance, etc.

Plays in the largest division in Ohio. Cleveland league that is solid. Made a nice play-off run losing by a point to a very good team. He played good competition.
Did you see that Mentor team Hugs' team lost to? all white guys in the 6'0 give or take range. One starting forward who was 6'4.

On the other hand, Hugs had a big game against them in the loss.
Hugley stats vs Top teams

Loraine- 24 points, 18 rebounds, 4 assists

St. Edwards-19 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists

Cleveland Heights-32 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists

First Love-16 points, 11 rebounds

St. Mary-St. Vincent- 21 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists

Cleveland Heights (Playoffs) -16 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists

Mentor (Finals) -35 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists

Bulk of the stats are from Chet Mason(high school basketball coach), and reporters from Cleveland.com, Nates Barnes, Matt Goul and the News-Herald and a few other resources. A lot of the bad teams the game was over before halftime or earlier. The 2 toughest teams on the schedule were St. Edwards and St. Mary-St. Vincent followed by Mentor in the playoffs.

His best game was against Mentor for the Title with his 35 points 15 board herculean effort. His team lost by 2 in the Finals. Bob Krizancic, Mentor’s Coach, said Hugley was the 2nd toughest player he faced in his career after that game. Lebron James was #1. Bob has coached for 38 years and has over 600 wins.

For the person asking me about Gallagher and why I mentioned him. Rodney is a 5 Star Guard and a Pitt lean at this time. He is the highest rated player on our board regardless of class at this time. Generally speaking I don’t like taking about recruits multiple years out because so much can change and players develop at different rates.

Rodney Gallagher is an exception because he is a very rare Elite basketball talent that is likely playing at Pitt. From what I understand Jeff Capel has offered a total of 3 freshmen basketball players total in his entire career. Gallagher is the 3rd and Im surprised the offer didn’t “officially” come earlier. He is a massive talent.
so now you have a 9th grader who will he in everyone’s top 20 or so in 3 years as “likely going to Pitt” 4 years from now?

Did you see that Mentor team Hugs' team lost to? all white guys in the 6'0 give or take range. One starting forward who was 6'4.

On the other hand, Hugs had a big game against them in the loss.

so now you have a 9th grader who will he in everyone’s top 20 or so in 3 years as “likely going to Pitt” 4 years from now?

Still don’t trust this kids dad to not mess it up with football.

Spring Addition

John Hugley Season ending stats

24 ppg

13.4 rpg

4.6 assist per game

41% 3 point shooter

Statistically for a Pf / Center, John Hugley had a season for the ages. His numbers across the board were beyond dominant as he broke the single season all time points record, the single game assist record, and the single game points record all in the same year. He was unanimously named the player of the year as he was unstoppable most of the season scoring, rebounding, and passing his senior season.

Stylistically, John Hugley is needed in so many ways. Hugley is a physical bruiser that will rebound. He plays bully ball on both ends and I have said previously he has a lot of Chevy Troutman characteristics with his body, wingspan, and craftiness under the hoop. While being extremely physical could lead to some foul problems in the ACC, this team needs someone that can command and control the paint, push players out of the paint, pass from the paint and finish in the paint. As a large bonus Hugley can shoot very well for a big man from 3 point range.

John Hugley has an ACC level body right now. His conditioning, which has been a huge problem in the past is also far better now than in any point in his career. He has worked very hard and his numbers show it. His impact at Pitt will be felt and significant from day 1.

His high school coach, Chet Mason, is on record recently stating that Big John is one of the Top 25 best players in the entire country right now in Chet’s opinion. Statistically, Hugley had at worst a Top 25-50 Nationally rated performance his senior year. His passing ability for a big man at this stage is ridiculously Elite and much needed.

Femi Odukale Final Season Stats

17.5 ppg

8 rpg

9 assist per game

2.7 steals per game

59% Fg percentage

39% 3 point shooter

82% foul shooter

Like John Hugley, Odukale had one of the best senior seasons in the entire country in every single facet of the game while breaking the schools all-time single season assist record. Most players only dream about having a triple double 1 time in their entire career. Odukale was close to averaging a triple double for the entire season against Elite competition as he consistently beat the brakes right off the opposing teams defense.

For months Jeff Capel single handily pushed in all the chips to land this player much like he did with RJ Davis who he lost to North Carolina. There was no 1A choice and that includes Jalen Warley, this “was” the top choice made specifically by Jeff Capel. With what had backfired previously with RJ Davis and Capel going “all in” now came to fruition with Odukale.

Odukale is oozing with potential and is a complete stat sheet stuffer. A 6’5 athlete with a 6’11 wingspan that is versatile and plays the game at a ferocious pace. He is the primary disrupter on defense off the full court press and the trap and forces a lot of turnovers with his wingspan and speed while pushing the transition offense. He was the driving and consistent catalyst on offense all season long with his Elite level vision and passing for Springfield. As a surprise and major bonus, he shot just under 40% from 3 with his rapidly improving jump shot which he has worked very hard on.

He is already 19 years old and is much more seasoned and ready to play significant minutes early. I fully expect Odukale to make a significant impact next year and he has an NBA body right now.

It should also be noted that Odukale lives in the gym. He is relentless with trying to improve and like a typical New Yorker, plays with a moxy and swagger with a major chip on his shoulder for being under rated. He has and plays with a major junkyard dog old school nastiness and attitude that Jeff Capel loves.

“Early” Player comparison- Denzel Valentine Michigan State

My early prediction for next season is that Hugley, Odukale, and Horton will be significant contributors and Amadasun and Collier will be minor contributors. I expect Amadasun and Collier to help more on defense and on the glass with limited roles. Collier is still quite raw on offense and shooting after this season at Westtown but he will help with our press defense and substantially help in our 2-3 zone defense as Westtown plays a lot of 2-3 zone with traps.

I also think even with Will Jeffress likely coming to Pitt and with Jeffress shot making improvement “this” season, Jeffress is also behind Hugley, Odukale, and Horton at this time in terms of early impact. And while that is not a slight to Jeffress but rather, I am saying that Capel has hit a home run with these 3 players on next years team.

Last year there was quite a bit of debate about the 2019 recruiting class when I called the class “underrated”. Some people chose to throw in the towel after a meaningless all star game last year on our 2019 recruiting class. At seasons end, Justin Champagnie as a true freshman led the team in points and rebounds and Karim Coulibaly was starting to raise his level of play significantly as the season finished. Ill give Drumgoole a pass as a freshmen for the time he missed with the foot injury. The season prior Xavier Johnson, a true freshman, led the team in scoring.

I believe this 2020 class coming in currently (including Horton in 2020) is without question the best recruiting class with talent to date under Jeff Capel and Im not sure it’s even close. Jeff Capel has praised Horton all season long as arguably our best player and I think we have 2 studs in Hugley and Odukale coming in. Collier and Amadasun have more than enough “potential” and athletic ability to develop in time.

In closing, this team needs a lot of help and we are getting it next year. In my opinion, getting Odukale is absolutely huge. A majority of the players Jeff Capel has recruited have proven to be underrated whether they chose Pitt or another team and many of these players have risen in the final rankings over time (Grad Transfer roster fill-in players like Murphy and Hamilton do not count).

This trio of Horton-Odukale-Hugley should have everyone beyond ecstatic. Add Jeffress and the gland slam class for 2020 is completed. Then add in 5 star guard Rodney Gallagher and we are moving up significantly in the standings and rankings in the future.

This 2019-2020 season did not finish like many had hoped because of a severe lack of team depth, 3 point shooting, and team rebounding along with a lack of upperclassmen leaders. Next year I believe we are taking a significant step forward because of the new additions and the new additions ability to fix our biggest team weaknesses. I also think it is very possible at least 2 of these players either start or see major minutes while all 3 have significant contributions. I also expect Ithiel Horton to be a major weapon on offense. And I believe Horton is going to prove he is a very deadly outside shooter from 3 starting in game 1 next year.

Exciting times are ahead…
Exciting times. You are spot on as always Vader

why? so the team can lose games and you can say you were right? dear lord

The poster I responded to was using sarcasm to attempt an assault on Vader's Star Destroyer. There was a battle in another thread in another universe that spilled over into this one.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
The poster I responded to was using sarcasm to attempt an assault on Vader's Star Destroyer. There was a battle in another thread in another universe that spilled over into this one.

yeah that was corrected it 2 posts above

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT