ADVERTISEMENT

Vader Recruiting- Capel strikes Gold with 2020 recruiting class

There’s no pressure... but we still suck.

JC has been about 50/50 on recruits here. Not sure he gets where he should be recruiting here yet. He clearly oversold him as the best player they’ve played this year. If you can’t agree with that, you must think JC shit smells like roses.
We’ll see !

I totally agree he hasn’t got the ball rolling downhill in regards to recruiting , but without cheating Pitt isn’t an easy sell .

Last edited:
Reactions: JRPITT
Who made your word Bible because you think only your opinion matters? Spoiler alert it's not and everyone on here knows you hate JC so when you're being negative nobody really cares. You seem to have some intelligence but your negativity for JC overruns is sometimes. Its hard to tell if your a real Pitt fan sometimes.
There’s no pressure... but we still suck.

JC has been about 50/50 on recruits here. Not sure he gets where he should be recruiting here yet. He clearly oversold him as the best player they’ve played this year. If you can’t agree with that, you must think JC shit smells like roses.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Yes, I do. I am a little concerned how he would fare as a true freshmen against a legit ACC full court press with regard to turnovers, but in the halfcourt he should be fine. His handle is a little loose. But he just transitioned to point guard and has flourished doing so. 9 assists per game against the competition he went up against game in and game out this year is big time and there is zero sugar coating that.

With regards to Horton, Horton made 79 three point baskets as a true freshmen at 41%. He's already more than proven he can hit open shots which is what he will be counted on to do. Justin Champagnie depended on others to set him up with open looks to score and it worked well this year for Justin in that role. Horton's biggest strength is shooting. Others will set him up. He just has to make them.

Im going to further touch on Hugley's schedule. Brush played a complete mixed bag of teams this year. St. Vincent St. Mary and St. Edwards were two of the best teams in the entire country. They were Top 20 Nationally ranked teams and both of them could / would beat any team from any division from PA regardless of class including the powerhouse PCL league.

SVSM has 2 borderline 5 star guards a lone. Pitt is recruiting Sencire Harris in 2022 which is one of those players. A chunk of the teams Hugley went up against are Top 100-500 level teams. Teams like Loraine, Mentor, Cleveland Heights, First Love, etc.. These are decent teams. Some of the teams are also quite bad. But there are more than enough quality teams on his schedule for the remarks I had made that he faced respectable above average competition.

For example, Brush beat Kennedy PA this year by 35 points. Will Jeffress and Mcdowell beat the same team by 8 points.

For the person that had asked, Hugley's AAU stats were solid. But he is far better now including his conditioning as opposed to last summer. His body transformation has been pretty incredible.
Do you have a link to Hugley's senior stats by game. I am curious how he did against the higher competitive teams he played.

Who made your word Bible because you think only your opinion matters? Spoiler alert it's not and everyone on here knows you hate JC so when you're being negative nobody really cares. You seem to have some intelligence but your negativity for JC overruns is sometimes. Its hard to tell if your a real Pitt fan sometimes.
Because I provide a different perspective I hate JC and am not a Pitt fan? I don’t take everything Pitt does in any sport as gospel. He’s done some very good things at Pitt and he’s fallen short in a lot of things. Anyone who believes otherwise is just a cheerleader.

If he upgrades his staff, he can be very successful here. If he fails, it will be because he doesn’t. Simple as that.

So if he succeeds then what maybe he shouldn't get rid of his staff.
Like I said you don't know everything you need to stop acting like you do. Your not the only man on here to know something. I personally been up on Pitt sports for 40 years and I still don't claim to know at all. Try some humility it goes a long way.
Because I provide a different perspective I hate JC and am not a Pitt fan? I don’t take everything Pitt does in any sport as gospel. He’s done some very good things at Pitt and he’s fallen short in a lot of things. Anyone who believes otherwise is just a cheerleader.

If he upgrades his staff, he can be very successful here. If he fails, it will be because he doesn’t. Simple as that.

So if he succeeds then what maybe he shouldn't get rid of his staff.
Like I said you don't know everything you need to stop acting like you do. Your not the only man on here to know something. I personally been up on Pitt sports for 40 years and I still don't claim to know at all. Try some humility it goes a long way.
Lol I’ve never once claimed to know it all. It’s been widely known here his brother doesn’t work hard and Milan is an overlap in responsibilities recruiting with him and his brother. Each piece on the staff needs to bring something unique. Now that we have bigs we can actually figure out if Timmy OToole knows what he’s doing.

Have you ever had someone work under you? You can be critical of performance while not wanting a wholesale change to what they’re doing.

Reactions: Ski11585 and Chaos
Lol how do u know he’s not cheating? VT fans believe he cheated for Toney and McGowens, FWIW. Typical fanboy.
It would be a great idea to cheat right after your AD turned her former bb coach and Fb coach into the NCAA for violating NCAA regulations !
Obviously Trey’s deal wasn’t for 4 yrs !

Also, remember all the hype we heard about Murphy and working out with Steph curry and that his actual playing stats didn’t matter! Sheesh guys, this only happened 9 Months ago.

I don't ever recall Capel talking Murph up. Board poster yes, Jeff Capel no.

I don't think Capel would blow smoke about Horton, but it is interesting how much he's been talked up.

You don't have to claim to know it all your words speak when do you know and everything or at least thinking you do. Now you know everything that's going on with the coaches and what they do and their responsibilities you must be right there with them or you just believe what someone is saying but you don't seem like that type you seem to think you know it yourself so if you're a inside just say that and we may all understand why you say the things you do.
Unless your Insider or have someone that's right there and telling you everything you maybe need to chill.
Lol I’ve never once claimed to know it all. It’s been widely known here his brother doesn’t work hard and Milan is an overlap in responsibilities recruiting with him and his brother. Each piece on the staff needs to bring something unique. Now that we have bigs we can actually figure out if Timmy OToole knows what he’s doing.

Have you ever had someone work under you? You can be critical of performance while not wanting a wholesale change to what they’re doing.

You don't have to claim to know it all your words speak when do you know and everything or at least thinking you do. Now you know everything that's going on with the coaches and what they do and their responsibilities you must be right there with them or you just believe what someone is saying but you don't seem like that type you seem to think you know it yourself so if you're a inside just say that and we may all understand why you say the things you do.
Unless your Insider or have someone that's right there and telling you everything you maybe need to chill.
1. They list what their responsibilities are on the court coaching. It’s on the website.
2. It’s not hard to figure out recruiting territories. Almost everyone here knows where these guys have connections.
3. Milan’s main connection is Boo Williams (who as a Nike guy will send his best guys to the best Nike Schools so his funding doesn’t get cut) Milan has never recruited at the HM level. Jason Capel’s best connection is also Boo. Seems redundant.
4. If you typed in actual sentences and not nonsensical run on sentences maybe we could have an actual discussion.

I don't ever recall Capel talking Murph up. Board poster yes, Jeff Capel no.

I don't think Capel would blow smoke about Horton, but it is interesting how much he's been talked up.
You're right. Capel didn't talk him up.

You're right. Capel didn't talk him up.
I may be misremembering. I thought he did in the athletic but maybe it was just the Vader’s and Dokish’s of the world who think Capel never misses.

Guess what, he does miss. He will miss. Every coach does.

Btw, remember when we thought Champagnie was out for the year? Thank god he wasn’t.

It's hard to have a discussion with a person who think they know it all. There's nothing to discuss you already know it. You can't insult me because you're nothing to me. LOL

1. They list what their responsibilities are on the court coaching. It’s on the website.
2. It’s not hard to figure out recruiting territories. Almost everyone here knows where these guys have connections.
3. Milan’s main connection is Boo Williams (who as a Nike guy will send his best guys to the best Nike Schools so his funding doesn’t get cut) Milan has never recruited at the HM level. Jason Capel’s best connection is also Boo. Seems redundant.
4. If you typed in actual sentences and not nonsensical run on sentences maybe we could have an actual discussion.

It's hard to have a discussion with a person who think they know it all. There's nothing to discuss you already know it. You can't insult me because you're nothing to me. LOL
I wasn’t trying to insult you. I was trying to engage in a conversation. You brought nothing to the table other than your cheerleading outfit. Thanks.

Reactions: Ski11585
I may be misremembering. I thought he did in the athletic but maybe it was just the Vader’s and Dokish’s of the world who think Capel never misses.

Guess what, he does miss. He will miss. Every coach does.

Btw, remember when we thought Champagnie was out for the year? Thank god he wasn’t.
If we keep Toney, I think we are on a nice trajectory.
We'll have to see how this next year goes with his 1st actual full team.
I remember actually before the FSU game Capel being pretty straight up about Murphy. Just saying let's see how he plays in a game.

Reactions: jctrack and TWPitt
If we keep Toney, I think we are on a nice trajectory.
We'll have to see how this next year goes with his 1st actual full team.
I remember actually before the FSU game Capel being pretty straight up about Murphy. Just saying let's see how he plays in a game.
I may be misremembering the cheerleaders who think Capel never misses.

Yes, next year will tell a lot.

I may be misremembering the cheerleaders who think Capel never misses.

Yes, next year will tell a lot.
Murphy & Hamilton was extreme desperation.
Looks like the ball is rolling where desperation has almost totally passed, which is nice to see.
It'd be nice to get a better level GT this year.
We'll probably go guard.

Murphy & Hamilton was extreme desperation.
Looks like the ball is rolling where desperation has almost totally passed, which is nice to see.
It'd be nice to get a better level GT this year.
We'll probably go guard.
Yeah that’s the issue, did we have an opportunity to pass those teams by this year by adding better players last year and we passed or missed on some guys then became desperate. I mean even Julian Champagnie would’ve been better than an open scholarship. So it seems like we almost are back to year 1 or basically hit the reset again, especially if we lose Toney.

I just don’t see how Toney leaves. He’s a nice defensive player and has an improving offensive game but he’s not gonna get more minutes at a HM than Pitt can offer. Hopefully we land Jeffress, can play him OOC see if he hits a wall pre ACC, fake an injury get a medical redshirt and we are better off in long run for it. Remember, Deandre Hunter redshirted. It’s not such a dumb idea.

Also, remember all the hype we heard about Murphy and working out with Steph curry and that his actual playing stats didn’t matter! Sheesh guys, this only happened 9 Months ago.

I really don’t remembering anyone overhyping Ryan Murphy but I do get your point.

Horton doesn’t have the ceiling McGowens does but his ability to shoot the ball and create shots should allow him to be much more consistent than Trey ever was, and help spacing for X a ton.

Yeah that’s the issue, did we have an opportunity to pass those teams by this year by adding better players last year and we passed or missed on some guys then became desperate. I mean even Julian Champagnie would’ve been better than an open scholarship. So it seems like we almost are back to year 1 or basically hit the reset again, especially if we lose Toney.

I just don’t see how Toney leaves. He’s a nice defensive player and has an improving offensive game but he’s not gonna get more minutes at a HM than Pitt can offer. Hopefully we land Jeffress, can play him OOC see if he hits a wall pre ACC, fake an injury get a medical redshirt and we are better off in long run for it. Remember, Deandre Hunter redshirted. It’s not such a dumb idea.
I don't expect Toney to leave at all.
I think next year's team will be better, but that depends on a lot of factors of individual players getting better.

I could see Jeffress redshirting.
I know posters on here and see a highly ranked player and think they'll come in right away and be great, but that's asking alot of a young kid.

FWIW, ESPN has a list of the top transfers in all categories (grad transfers, midyears, transfers from last season who will be eligible next season, transfers from this spring who will have to sit out next season, a list that obviously will be changing as more players enter the portal). In the category of transfers from last year who will be eligible this fall they have Horton ranked as the 25th best player. Five of the players ahead of him are also going to ACC schools.

At this point they have McGowans ranked second on the list of players who will have to sit out next season.

These lists - especially by larger outlets like ESPN - tend to be fairly bogus. What were the metrics? Performance at current school? Projected fit with new school? Remaining years of eligibility? They never disclose those and the predictions tend to be all over the place. They also tend to overvalue star ranking relative to performance and big name schools versus smaller schools.

Is Jahvon Quinerly (3.2 ppg at Nova and basically run off the team) better than Horton? What about Jordan Brown (3.0 ppg at Nevada)? Eric Williams scored the same amount of points but at an even lower level - Duquesnue - than Delaware. Jaylen Fisher played 9 games and is hurt all the time. Khavon Moore played 2 mins total, transferred to Clemson, and then averaged fewer than 2 ppg there.

I find it hard to believe that Horton, a guy who scored 13 ppg and shot 41% from 3P is really the 29th best sit out transfer, especially compared to a lot of high ranked recruits that simply didn't pan out at all.

Reactions: Drew1208
These lists - especially by larger outlets like ESPN - tend to be fairly bogus. What were the metrics? Performance at current school? Projected fit with new school? Remaining years of eligibility? They never disclose those and the predictions tend to be all over the place. They also tend to overvalue star ranking relative to performance and big name schools versus smaller schools.

Is Jahvon Quinerly (3.2 ppg at Nova and basically run off the team) better than Horton? What about Jordan Brown (3.0 ppg at Nevada)? Eric Williams scored the same amount of points but at an even lower level - Duquesnue - than Delaware. Jaylen Fisher played 9 games and is hurt all the time. Khavon Moore played 2 mins total, transferred to Clemson, and then averaged fewer than 2 ppg there.

I find it hard to believe that Horton, a guy who scored 13 ppg and shot 41% from 3P is really the 29th best sit out transfer, especially compared to a lot of high ranked recruits that simply didn't pan out at all.
Yeah, I agree, I don't think ESPN has much credibility in this area.
If it's not a story made to illicit reaction, then ESPN is most likely clueless.

Reactions: jctrack
This all sounds encouraging. But let's hope that we even have a football and basketball season this year. If we don't get this virus knocked out and make sure it doesn't come back, which it likely will, sports events may be canceled for a while and beyond this year.

Reactions: Chaos
This all sounds encouraging. But let's hope that we even have a football and basketball season this year. If we don't get this virus knocked out and make sure it doesn't come back, which it likely will, sports events may be canceled for a while and beyond this year.
I can’t see the virus canceling sporting events for a yr . The worst case scenario would be fan less . Not a big deal for the Panthers !!!!

Yeah, I agree, I don't think ESPN has much credibility in this area.
If it's not a story made to illicit reaction, then ESPN is most likely clueless.

Not much credibility in other areas recruiting areas either, IMHO. Their recruiting rankings for individual recruits out of HS always seem to be out of date, often doesn't reflect senior season HS year performance, have heights and weights that are no longer correct, not current with recent commitments, etc. To be fair, however, they do slightly better with their top 100 list players.

Lol how do u know he’s not cheating? VT fans believe he cheated for Toney and McGowens, FWIW. Typical fanboy.
Capel got burnt at Oklahoma because of the actions of one of his assistant coaches and he took the blame for it. That’s why he has the staff he has around him because he wants people that he can trust. He’s not going to upgrade his staff for that reason.
Of course your response will be that it’s naïve to think that he wasn’t in the loop with what his assistant coach was doing at Oklahoma. The fact that trust is so important to him and that he is still married to this group of assistants at Pitt would argue against that.

In last night's news---the anti-Malarial drug, Chloroquine, and Zpac (antibiotics) taken together (both drugs individually already on the Rx market -- so no long testing period to get FDA approval as with a new vaccine) are being reported as 100% effective against corona virus in early testing.

If that pans out, the only issues could be FDA approval for doctors to prescribe the two together (can any Pitt MD or Pharmacist confirm that is even necessary?) and for the pharma industry to emergency speed ramp up production of both so that the existing supply won't become overwhelmed by an increasing demand. This is the treatment I hear "celebrity" TV/radio docs touting in interviews last night and this morning. Hope this rapidly proves to be a near term effective solution while a vaccine (like the flu vaccine) is developed for the future.

Hoping and praying that this news proves for real and the pandemic can be shut down relatively quickly so we can all get back to the more enjoyable practice of discussing Pitt sports!!

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
In last night's news---the anti-Malarial drug, Chloroquine, and Zpac (antibiotics) taken together (both drugs individually already on the Rx market -- so no long testing period to get FDA approval as with a new vaccine) are being reported as 100% effective against corona virus in early testing.

If that pans out, the only issues could be FDA approval for doctors to prescribe the two together (can any Pitt MD or Pharmacist confirm that is even necessary?) and for the pharma industry to emergency speed ramp up production of both so that the existing supply won't become overwhelmed by an increasing demand. This is the treatment I hear "celebrity" TV/radio docs touting in interviews last night and this morning. Hope this rapidly proves to be a near term effective solution while a vaccine (like the flu vaccine) is developed for the future.

Hoping and praying that this news proves for real and the pandemic can be shut down relatively quickly so we can all get back to the more enjoyable practice of discussing Pitt sports!!

Yeah, I've been hearing about those drugs for about a week or more now. It will have everything to do with testing and tracing and availability for those infected. I'm not sure we have the capacity in place right now to do that. The testing and results will show a spike in infections in the coming week or 2. That will put a strain on the healthcare system.

I'm not downplaying the encouraging news about these drugs. I'm just saying for us to get this thing killed off in a couple of months, we all need to use common sense and self-quarantine, social distancing, washing hands constantly, just leave the house for the absolutely necessary things (prescriptions). Get home delivery of groceries. And the virus has mutated and will continue to mutate. I hope we're ready for that, too.

Reactions: cabe23
I wasn’t trying to insult you. I was trying to engage in a conversation. You brought nothing to the table other than your cheerleading outfit. Thanks.
Who knows who knows what. I appreciate reading your info and I don't mind your opinions. It's interesting to me and I do know at least what you are saying is pretty accurate in respect to the coaching staff especially the assistants.

Keep posting. Remember there is an ignore button fellas so just hit ignore instead of complaining about a poster.

Capel got burnt at Oklahoma because of the actions of one of his assistant coaches and he took the blame for it. That’s why he has the staff he has around him because he wants people that he can trust. He’s not going to upgrade his staff for that reason.
Of course your response will be that it’s naïve to think that he wasn’t in the loop with what his assistant coach was doing at Oklahoma. The fact that trust is so important to him and that he is still married to this group of assistants at Pitt would argue against that.
1000 percent correct.

Reactions: jctrack

If the meds are already out in the market any prescribing Dr can write scripts for them . Unless there’s major contradictions of taking the two drugs together which could subject the Dr to being sued for malpractice. Drs have always had the option of writing scripts for off label uses .

Reactions: tjb
I know man. Calipari, Sean Miller, Will Wade pitino, etc etc etc they all have complete knowledge of everything their assistants do according to this forum.

But the guy who became known as the BAGMAN at Duke who recruited Zion Williamson, BAGley etc was too naive and dumb at Oklahoma to control some rogue assistant who he had no idea what this guy was doing!

Cmon, you’re actually insulting Jeff Capel’s intelligence. He’s now using that rogue assistant defense all head coaches use. Every head coach knows what their assistants are doing and what they’re into recruiting wise. If they don’t, they aren’t fit to be a head coach. And BTW, this is me agreeing with you why he won’t do it... he trusts these guys. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t cheating. Although if we cheated to get last place 2 years in a row... oh wait stallings did that. Oh boy. And now I’m rambling.

I’ll agree with you, probably not cheating. Just saying other programs thought we did for those two.

Last edited:
I know man. Calipari, Sean Miller, Will Wade pitino, etc etc etc they all have complete knowledge of everything their assistants do according to this forum.

But the guy who became known as the BAGMAN at Duke who recruited Zion Williamson, BAGley etc was too naive and dumb at Oklahoma to control some rogue assistant who he had no idea what this guy was doing!

Cmon, you’re actually insulting Jeff Capel’s intelligence. He’s now using that rogue assistant defense all head coaches use. Every head coach knows what their assistants are doing and what they’re into recruiting wise. If they don’t, they aren’t fit to be a head coach. And BTW, this is me agreeing with you why he won’t do it... he trusts these guys. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t cheating. Although if we cheated to get last place 2 years in a row... oh wait stallings did that. Oh boy. And now I’m rambling.

I’ll agree with you, probably not cheating. Just saying other programs thought we did for those two.
Are you trying to say that almost every coach cheats, but some just do it better than others? Whether it be more high powered boosters at their disposal or they are more tied into the shoe industry or handlers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT