ADVERTISEMENT

Vader Recruiting- Capel strikes Gold with 2020 recruiting class

Are you trying to say that almost every coach cheats, but some just do it better than others? Whether it be more high powered boosters at their disposal or they are more tied into the show industry.
I would say playing in the gray area. Cheating means breaking rules and policies and there just aren't enough and they are explicit enough to cover all the loopholes and gray areas especially in AAU and Circuits that handlers can navigate on behalf of the coaching staffs. It's impossible to regulate everything including texts and how money is given directly to families and players by coaches and boosters through intermediaries.

Are you trying to say that almost every coach cheats, but some just do it better than others? Whether it be more high powered boosters at their disposal or they are more tied into the show industry.
No, I do believe there are some honest coaches. I think that’s part of what made Belein leave the college game. But it’s naive to think he’s the first head coach in ncaa history who actually DIDNT know what his assistants are doing. And if he is, he shouldn’t be in a HC position.

No, I do believe there are some honest coaches. I think that’s part of what made Belein leave the college game. But it’s naive to think he’s the first head coach in ncaa history who actually DIDNT know what his assistants are doing. And if he is, he shouldn’t be in a HC position.
He did not have fully honest assistant coaches.

I know man. Calipari, Sean Miller, Will Wade pitino, etc etc etc they all have complete knowledge of everything their assistants do according to this forum.

But the guy who became known as the BAGMAN at Duke who recruited Zion Williamson, BAGley etc was too naive and dumb at Oklahoma to control some rogue assistant who he had no idea what this guy was doing!

Cmon, you’re actually insulting Jeff Capel’s intelligence. He’s now using that rogue assistant defense all head coaches use. Every head coach knows what their assistants are doing and what they’re into recruiting wise. If they don’t, they aren’t fit to be a head coach. And BTW, this is me agreeing with you why he won’t do it... he trusts these guys. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t cheating. Although if we cheated to get last place 2 years in a row... oh wait stallings did that. Oh boy. And now I’m rambling.

I’ll agree with you, probably not cheating. Just saying other programs thought we did for those two.
No one has their head in the clouds here. It would be insanely stupid not to recognize things go on in college sports. Love to see your evidence that he was the Bagman as you say. Surely, everyone who lost out on Zion and Bagley etc. has clear motive to plant that kind of story.

Who made your word Bible because you think only your opinion matters? Spoiler alert it's not and everyone on here knows you hate JC so when you're being negative nobody really cares. You seem to have some intelligence but your negativity for JC overruns is sometimes. Its hard to tell if your a real Pitt fan sometimes.
Love the ignore button. Love it.

No one has their head in the clouds here. It would be insanely stupid not to recognize things go on in college sports. Love to see your evidence that he was the Bagman as you say. Surely, everyone who lost out on Zion and Bagley etc. has clear motive to plant that kind of story.
So Zion was offered 100k to go to Kansas but went to Duke for free? Cmon.

Duke has been getting elite recruits for the last 35+ years under Coach K. Before, during, and after Capel was a coach there. What about the Duke kid from NJ that got busted with the jewelry? That happened awhile ago.

Duke has been getting elite recruits for the last 35+ years under Coach K. Before, during, and after Capel was a coach there. What about the Duke kid from NJ that got busted with the jewelry? That happened awhile ago.
He opened a jewelry store in Newark.
Better than basketball.

I think it was gary2 who posted his name a few weeks ago as someone Pitt should go after.

At a glance, he seems like he has better shooting numbers than Murphy but has also demonstrated some more ability to play the point. I’d be into it as a grad transfer.

If Odukale can give us 25% of what Denzel Valentine did, we'll be in an okay place.
It took Valentine a couple of years to become an impact player. Of course he played on a pretty loaded team so he didn't have much opportunity to contribute early--he was a classic Izzo 4-year developmental player who went from 1.5 ppg as a freshman to 1st team All-American as a senior.

Great write up but you left out Jalen Hood-Schifino who is arguably Pitt's best and highest ranked recruit since Steve Adams - exciting stuff moving forward for sure though - H2P!
He's 2 years away from taking the floor at the Pete. I think the focus of the thread is on the guys who will be playing for Pitt next year.

Reactions: MajorMajors
https://youtu.be/X73zy6vTmm

Regarding Horton, this video to me explains the hype we have for him at the 2 guard position, guy has great range and plays without fear shooting from long range. If we get 15-17 ppg from him I would be happy.
So you're keeping youre expectaiotns low for him.
FWIW, ESPN has a list of the top transfers in all categories (grad transfers, midyears, transfers from last season who will be eligible next season, transfers from this spring who will have to sit out next season, a list that obviously will be changing as more players enter the portal). In the category of transfers from last year who will be eligible this fall they have Horton ranked as the 25th best player. Five of the players ahead of him are also going to ACC schools.

At this point they have McGowans ranked second on the list of players who will have to sit out next season.
McGowens has the talent to blow up in the right program. He has an impressive list of interested suitors already.

Reactions: TWPitt
Why mention Rodney Gallagher then?
Fair question. The whole post is about the 2020 class and then he throws an 9th grader's name in at the end. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. You got me.

There’s no pressure... but we still suck.

JC has been about 50/50 on recruits here. Not sure he gets where he should be recruiting here yet. He clearly oversold him as the best player they’ve played this year. If you can’t agree with that, you must think JC shit smells like roses.
And you seem to think yours does too. Let's factor in what he was recruiting to when he took over. This wasn't a top 20 program. It was closer to a bottom 20 program.

Can someone knowledgeable speak to Hugley’s level of competition?
Plays in the largest division in Ohio. Cleveland league that is solid. Made a nice play-off run losing by a point to a very good team. He played good competition.

And you seem to think yours does too. Let's factor in what he was recruiting to when he took over. This wasn't a top 20 program. It was closer to a bottom 20 program.
Lol. They weren’t close to a bottom 20 program. Last years class was subpar full of misses and busts outside of Champagnie. And hopefully Drumgoole but he looked too stiff for the ACc in his limited time imo. Coulaliby could give some minutes off the bench. But Murphy and Hamilton were busts and his biggest coup so far is transferring.

You guys can say I’m wrong or I hate capel or whatever else but it doesn’t change reality

Lol. They weren’t close to a bottom 20 program. Last years class was subpar full of misses and busts outside of Champagnie. And hopefully Drumgoole but he looked too stiff for the ACc in his limited time imo. Coulaliby could give some minutes off the bench. But Murphy and Hamilton were busts and his biggest coup so far is transferring.

You guys can say I’m wrong or I hate capel or whatever else but it doesn’t change reality
Their 0-19 AAC record may have not been bottom 20 but it wasn't far from it. Capel is just now getting out from under that perception. In fact this thread is so long I really don't know what you are saying. If you are saying we won't know what we have until we start playing then I am in full agreement.

Do you have a link to Hugley's senior stats by game. I am curious how he did against the higher competitive teams he played.

Hugley stats vs Top teams

Loraine- 24 points, 18 rebounds, 4 assists

St. Edwards-19 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists

Cleveland Heights-32 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists

First Love-16 points, 11 rebounds

St. Mary-St. Vincent- 21 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists

Cleveland Heights (Playoffs) -16 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists

Mentor (Finals) -35 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists

Bulk of the stats are from Chet Mason(high school basketball coach), and reporters from Cleveland.com, Nates Barnes, Matt Goul and the News-Herald and a few other resources. A lot of the bad teams the game was over before halftime or earlier. The 2 toughest teams on the schedule were St. Edwards and St. Mary-St. Vincent followed by Mentor in the playoffs.

His best game was against Mentor for the Title with his 35 points 15 board herculean effort. His team lost by 2 in the Finals. Bob Krizancic, Mentor’s Coach, said Hugley was the 2nd toughest player he faced in his career after that game. Lebron James was #1. Bob has coached for 38 years and has over 600 wins.

For the person asking me about Gallagher and why I mentioned him. Rodney is a 5 Star Guard and a Pitt lean at this time. He is the highest rated player on our board regardless of class at this time. Generally speaking I don’t like taking about recruits multiple years out because so much can change and players develop at different rates.

Rodney Gallagher is an exception because he is a very rare Elite basketball talent that is likely playing at Pitt. From what I understand Jeff Capel has offered a total of 3 freshmen basketball players total in his entire career. Gallagher is the 3rd and Im surprised the offer didn’t “officially” come earlier. He is a massive talent.

Reactions: Drew1208

You’ve suggested in other posts that Drumgoole is much better than you’re letting on here but it fits your argument to trash him so you did the opposite in this post.

You’ve suggested in other posts that Drumgoole is much better than you’re letting on here but it fits your argument to trash him so you did the opposite in this post.
I had high hopes for him. He could still be a designated shooter. I think he needs to lose some weight and or loosen his hips more to be a solid player.

If he can turn into a 3 and D guy he’ll be a solid contributor. If his hips can’t let him guard his position at a decent rate he’ll stay and play.

There are levels between they suck and they’re great. Being critical of someone is in that area.

I reread what I wrote. Hopefully, and he may be too stiff. Holy cats! What a terrible analysis to jump all over me about!

Reactions: Sheriffjim
I had high hopes for him. He could still be a designated shooter. I think he needs to lose some weight and or loosen his hips more to be a solid player.

If he can turn into a 3 and D guy he’ll be a solid contributor. If his hips can’t let him guard his position at a decent rate he’ll stay and play.

There are levels between they suck and they’re great. Being critical of someone is in that area.

I reread what I wrote. Hopefully, and he may be too stiff. Holy cats! What a terrible analysis to jump all over me about!
I’ll take comfort in your adjustment.

Plays in the largest division in Ohio. Cleveland league that is solid. Made a nice play-off run losing by a point to a very good team. He played good competition.
That doesn't seem consistent with what has been posted in this thread. There was some higher level competition but there were a lot of bad teams in which he didn't play the 4th quarter. And against the 2 best teams he didnt do enough to keep it close.

That doesn't seem consistent with what has been posted in this thread. There was some higher level competition but there were a lot of bad teams in which he didn't play the 4th quarter. And against the 2 best teams he didnt do enough to keep it close.
It can be both. For a public school, their strength of schedule sounds pretty good - probably better than any team in the WPIAL and probably better than Jeffress’. It just doesn’t compare to the private or prep school schedules that Collier, Amadasun, or Odukale played against.

Doesn’t mean ass’ts were involved. Cheating is common, and I agree that Zion prob didn’t go to Duke for free, but the cheating could be ‘networked’ in other ways. I don’t think Heather in her infancy of this job, would chance hiring a ‘bagman’. And, I’m sure he was thoroughly vetted.

Hugley stats vs Top teams

Loraine- 24 points, 18 rebounds, 4 assists
Rebounds are consistent.

St. Edwards-19 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists

Cleveland Heights-32 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists

First Love-16 points, 11 rebounds

St. Mary-St. Vincent- 21 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists

Cleveland Heights (Playoffs) -16 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists

Mentor (Finals) -35 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists

Bulk of the stats are from Chet Mason(high school basketball coach), and reporters from Cleveland.com, Nates Barnes, Matt Goul and the News-Herald and a few other resources. A lot of the bad teams the game was over before halftime or earlier. The 2 toughest teams on the schedule were St. Edwards and St. Mary-St. Vincent followed by Mentor in the playoffs.

His best game was against Mentor for the Title with his 35 points 15 board herculean effort. His team lost by 2 in the Finals. Bob Krizancic, Mentor’s Coach, said Hugley was the 2nd toughest player he faced in his career after that game. Lebron James was #1. Bob has coached for 38 years and has over 600 wins.

For the person asking me about Gallagher and why I mentioned him. Rodney is a 5 Star Guard and a Pitt lean at this time. He is the highest rated player on our board regardless of class at this time. Generally speaking I don’t like taking about recruits multiple years out because so much can change and players develop at different rates.

Rodney Gallagher is an exception because he is a very rare Elite basketball talent that is likely playing at Pitt. From what I understand Jeff Capel has offered a total of 3 freshmen basketball players total in his entire career. Gallagher is the 3rd and Im surprised the offer didn’t “officially” come earlier. He is a massive talent.
He failed to get to 20 pts in 3 of the 7 games and had 21 and 24 in the other games. I have no idea how many shots he had to take to score those points. Hugley will be good but those points at his size as well as his AAU stats don't tell me he in a top 40 immediate impact player coming in.

He failed to get to 20 pts in 3 of the 7 games and had 21 and 24 in the other games. I have no idea how many shots he had to take to score those points. Hugley will be good but those points at his size as well as his AAU stats don't tell me he in a top 40 immediate impact player coming in.
Now when I said this...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT