ADVERTISEMENT

Vader: The New Hope: Capel Dials up Full Court Press on Recruiting, Part 2

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Let’s get to work….

Karim Coulibaly

Karim Coulibaly just turned 18 years old in December. He’s been a consistent double double machine for highly rated Scotland Prep this year. A nice lefty that can finish around the basket and has some but developing firepower from 3 point range. He was the #1 overall player in defensive rebound percentage at Adidas Gauntlet and was Top 15 in block percentage overall, 2 reasons the Pitt staff likes him. This is a player that also averaged a very well respected 14PPG and 10 boards per game in FIBA last year. Coulibaly is easily a very solid defender that can guard multiple positions. It wasn’t long ago he was one of the top performers in the prestigious National Prep Showcase where more schools tried to get involved, but Coulibaly remained loyal to the schools on him the longest. Pitt has been consistently recruiting him and Coulibaly has kept the same schools on his short list for over 6 months. When Coulibaly does not get himself in foul trouble which he does from time to time, he puts up numbers. As you can see, Coulibaly outperformed Wahab and Tre Mitchell on offense at Adidas. And I like players that are unselfish to help the team win, and he does this. He’s also consistent. He shot over 50% from the floor at Adidas and FIBA. The numbers support it. He is well underrated. And should be visiting Pitt soon. It wasn’t long ago he put up 43 points and 18 rebounds in a game last month. He just put up another 23 and 13 respectively

DpeqCt_V4AErycP.jpg

2019-bigs-png.36529

The Champagnie twins

Recent offers have gone out to the Champagnie twins and make no mistake about it, Pitt just didn’t start recruiting them. Pitt has been watching them, visiting them, and recruiting them fairly hard since last summer. The twins have been pretty red hot in the power CHSAA league and Loughlin is now a very good 15-1 on the year in the power CHSAA and Justin Champagnie has been posting multiple 30+ point performances and earning MVP honors. There are 3 very good reasons Pitt likes these 2 players, and it is the same reasons as the current Pitt freshmen. Its called TTA, the new Pitt DNA. Toughness, Tenacity, and Aggressiveness. It’s the way they play in New York and how Pitt plays under Capel. Boasting athletic ability and strong rebounding ability with a punchers attitude attacking the paint to score, these 2 can play and play with a very rugged toughness and are a package deal. And, there is another reason to like them. The twins are extremely young. Both turned just 17 years old in August going into their senior year in high school. They wont turn 18 until next summer after graduation. There is a chance they will reclassify to 2019 and both are pushing 6’7+. They should be visiting Pitt soon.

Gerald Drumgoole

It should come as no secret or surprise why Pitt is recruiting Drumgoole. He is from New York and he is one of the best shooters in the 2019 recruiting class and proved this in the EYBL as he was over 39% from 3 point range with very legit 3 point firepower. His dribble drive is still a work in progress but when the feet are set, splash, the 3 is going down and Pitt can use this. Drumgoole has pretty decent athletic ability for a 2 guard / wing. He also plays on the #1 overall high school team in the entire country, La Lumiere, and will be going up against heavy Pitt targets Hunter Dickinson and Earl Timberlake in the hoophall classic. Dematha is ranked the #3 team in the country. Drumgoole has a short list and a few nice offers. He offers good size at 6’6 for a guard /wing shooter. He could be Pitt’s future zone buster. He should visit Pitt soon, probably next month.

Qudus Wahab

The player everyone wants an update on. Ive maintained that I believe its been a 2 team race with Pitt for well over 6 weeks and I don’t think that has changed unless some big surprise happens last minute with him. Wahab was of one of the best defensive players in the entire country last summer and that has been the case this year at Flint. The only difference, Wahab is starting to put up 25+ point performances on offense. This is going to end up a major coup for whoever lands him and all should hope he selects Pitt in the end as he has high upside. Not all will be lost if we don’t get him because as I said last post, Hunter Dickinson is the big fish on the board. But a Wahab and Dickinson duo together would be a very, very, VERY, nasty duo combination for other teams to handle in the paint.

Stepinac

Its always a good thing to have connections, and Tim O’toole has them at his alma mater. Pitt is recruiting 2 players from Stepinac with point guard RJ Davis who’s recruiting is about to blow up and AJ Griffin, a 5 star guard. Pitt has been watching these 2 closely and appears to have turned up the heat on Davis who has been one of the top scorers in the entire state of New York. Multiple assistants have been in to watch these players. While Davis is on the smaller side of 6’0, he greatly makes up for it with strong shooting ability from all over the floor and really nice passing ability. He is a Major sleeper that many more schools will be involved with moving forward. With O’toole’s connection to Stepinac, Pitt is in a good place here.

Oak Hill

2 players Pitt has been monitoring and recruiting are Christian Brown and Cameron Thomas and Ive mentioned both before. Kevin Keatts and NC State look to further continue the recruiting damage in getting both of them after Seabron chose State. Brown is visiting Pitt and Pitt is trying to make a hard run at Brown and his teammate Thomas and I wondered how Seabron could further trickle things after he chose State in my last post. Brown was always thought to be staying in the south but Capel has other plans. It very well could be Capel vs Keatts in a battle of 2. Watch this very closely as Pitt is making a strong move on the chess board with both of them.

Now Thomas is a little more interesting. He is very high on State but likes Jeff Capel a lot. We are talking about one of the best scorers in the entire country regardless of class in 2020. There is a very realistic and very good chance he will be visiting Pitt too in the very near future, possibly with Brown. Paired up with X and Trey, Cam Thomas in the fold would provide Pitt with an extremely dangerous and filthy good backcourt in the future with the ability to score, especially with his teammate Brown at Pitt. Thomas can drive and easily fill it up from 3 point range and is a very dangerous scoring machine. Capel is starting to dial up the full court pressure with both players from Oak Hill and both are taking a very strong and very hard look at Pitt. Brown is extremely athletic and Thomas is extremely good. We all know, based off last years recruiting class, Capel wants athletes. Pitt again was in watching both of them and Capel has dialed up the full court press for both of them.

Part 2

Henry Coleman

A player I had mentioned in the past. His stock should continue to rise as he continues his strong play with his high motor. I really like this kids game but it will be difficult to pull him to Pitt. While many , many, insiders think he is Virginia’s to lose, his inside circle and his father, a Virginia Tech alum, are pushing Virginia Tech hard. He has been to Pitt on an unofficial. Talk has been quiet but I hope we can get him back for a 2nd visit. He is very, very, good with stock rising.

John Hugley

As I mentioned in a prior post, it is more important being concerned if Pitt can actually land Hugley, as opposed to Hugley being deemed as a good basketball player. Multiple major programs are on him including the entire Big Ten and Louisville. Not only has multiple Michigan State assistants been down to see him recently, Tom Izzo himself has now officially visited him this week. Not only does Pitt want him, so does a bevy of other schools coming after him. He has recently been to Pitt with his coach / handler as I reported. Pitt has offered and I think he will make his way back to Pitt a 2nd time. As I said, his stock is rising fast and many programs are now trying to enter the picture. Once he gets into a major strength and conditioning program, his game could really take off.

Demarr Langford

Talk has been very quiet on Langford, a Top 100 guard from Putnam. He is down to 4 schools with Uconn as the perceived leader. He is eligible to reclassify to 2019 and has previously mentioned his strong relationship with Jeff Capel and mentioned he could see himself playing at Pitt with our guards. While Pitt is not viewed as the leader, we are on the short list and Uconn is currently facing a scholarship shortage.

Dematha

Ive talked about the duo of Dickinson and Timberlake a lot for well over a month. Dematha is ridiculously strong this year because of these two players. They have picked off and beat many Top 25 Nationally ranked teams this year and play the hardest high school schedule in the entire country and play in the toughest high school basketball league in the country and only have 1 loss to date. As mentioned, they are ranked #3 in the country in high school. These two players are two of the best overall fits for what Jeff Capel wants or very close to it. They offer anything you could ask for and are built for shut down defense for the transition game. Pitt continues to be in prime position for both and a 2nd visit will take place at Pitt for both of them. They should be at the top of everyone’s wish list.

Pitt is also monitoring DJ Gordon with no offer to date and Noah Collier where Pitt currently is on the outside looking in.

Make no mistake about it, the dam is going to break on Pitt recruiting soon and it should be expected that multiple players will be committing to Pitt in the near future. It is going to happen, Im telling you it is. And these aren’t going to be reaches that we pray will be good like we saw under Dixon and Stallings the last 5 years. These are legit D1 quality basketball players with legit D1 offers Jeff Capel is going to win in the recruiting process. Buckle your seatbelt, Jeff Capel has pushed the recruiting gas pedal to the floor and the results will show soon enough...

The worst part about these posts is the nonsensical incorporation of Star Wars themes. We had ESB and now we work backward to ANH? It makes no sense!

Reactions: anon_3pggwev4hp028
Well, much of the optimism might only be Vader hype; but, DT hinted, without any specific players mentioned, (this was buried in a longer more general post) that he was hearing from (a) reliable source(s) that we are in very promising recruiting shape.

So, perhaps we should regard Vader's posts as having at least a little more credibility than some of us have been believing until now?

Let me add my name to the list of posters that look forward to your updates. Very refreshing to read positive news. Can't wait to see the dam break and learn which of these names flow through to us.

With such a long list it begs the question of the realistic number we could take if all, or even many, decide to come to Pitt. If no one reclassifies, could we take the twins, Cam Thomas, Dickinson and Timberlake in 2020? Would they still be interested if we already had Coulibaly, Wahab, Drumgoole, Brown, RJ David and Hugley? Hell of a nice problem to have and probably a very unlikely scenario but it doesn't hurt to dream, right?

Would be interested in your thoughts on the elimination probability. If we get Wahab, does that eliminate Coulibaly? If we get Brown and Drumgoole, does that eliminate Timberlake? Thomas? If the twins say yes, who does that eliminate? And, by the way, does Ethan Morton's absence signal your acceptance that he's not coming here?

Dare to dream! Thanks Vader.

Vader - did you catch Slater crystal-balling Christian Brown to Pitt last night? You are the reason I wasn't surprised, and actually know a few things about the player. Keep it coming my Lord, and duck the critics!

The Slater CB is a big one..Brown looked real good last night against IMG. Did a little bit of everything..junkyard dog, if you will. Slater also CB'd Coulibaly to Tulane, so that was "different".

Agreed, like most people on here, @Vader_Storm keep bringing these updates, as I truly look forward to them and that damn will break. Hopefully it starts on 1/30 with Wahab. Pitt will probably have 6 scholarships, so recruits are in high demand. Probs for 2020, Malik and Kene are gone, so maybe Pitt will bring in a Grad Transfer or two to balance out the classes. Should be a fun ride.

Interesting for sure. Again not sure why some get so bent out of shape over the dudes posts.

It definitely will be intersting to see the combination of talent that JC brings in

Lots of ships to give so how many will be for 19 and how many does he save for 20?

Regardless I have no doubt that this team will be much better next year as a result of the recruits JC brings in this year

Yeah, I'd rather Pitt never get a CB since it is not 100% correct all the time.

Slater is correct 80% of the time. The interesting thing is that anothet dude CB'd Brown to NC State at 3:00 yesterday then Slater CBd him right before their game at 7:30. I hate how productive NC State is on the recruiting trail.

Well, much of the optimism might only be Vader hype; but, DT hinted, without any specific players mentioned, (this was buried in a longer more general post) that he was hearing from (a) reliable source(s) that we are in very promising recruiting shape.

So, perhaps we should regard Vader's posts as having at least a little more credibility than some of us have been believing until now?
I don’t know if Vader is credible or not- but Capel is a proven high level recruiter. He’s going to bring in talented players.

What I have heard should not really have any bearing on Vader's credibility, one way or another.

Reactions: pittjas and jctrack
I'm sitting here listening to a song called conquest of paradise by vangelis. I'm reading these Vader posts and getting goosebumps and chills listening to this song of what Pitt can become in the next few years. It looks to me Dickinson and Hugley at the 5, Coulibly at the 4, the twins at the 3 and 4, Brown at the 3, Drumgoole the 2 and 3, Timberlake the 2 With many other players being recruited. With all these top targets looking at Pitt it looks impossible to strike out. I'm over Wahab whatever happens. Dickinson is my #1 guy. And I think we get the twins among others. Can Pitt land 5+ of these players? Dam the future looks good

I'm sitting here listening to a song called conquest of paradise by vangelis. I'm reading these Vader posts and getting goosebumps and chills listening to this song of what Pitt can become in the next few years. It looks to me Dickinson and Hugley at the 5, Coulibly at the 4, the twins at the 3 and 4, Brown at the 3, Drumgoole the 2 and 3, Timberlake the 2 With many other players being recruited. With all these top targets looking at Pitt it looks impossible to strike out. I'm over Wahab whatever happens. Dickinson is my #1 guy. And I think we get the twins among others. Can Pitt land 5+ of these players? Dam the future looks good

Dickinson and Brown are highly rated players.

Wahab would be good but seems like he wants to ride the bench at a crappy Gtown program.

Coulibaly, Hugley, the one Champaign kid, and Drumgoole are A10 level recruits. Wouldnt mind them as add-ons but need to shoot higher

Wahab would be good but seems like he wants to ride the bench at a crappy Gtown program.

Coulibaly, Hugley, the one Champaign kid, and Drumgoole are A10 level recruits. Wouldnt mind them as add-ons but need to shoot higher

Maybe. But let’s not forget how much you pined for Micah Mason.

Your evaluation tends to matter very little

Maybe. But let’s not forget how much you pined for Micah Mason.

Would love to have haved Micah Mason. #4 in the history of college basketball in 3 Point FG%. If any of these guys can shoot like that I'll take them regardless of rank. I was clearly RIGHT on Mason. On a good team where he was an off the bench guy or the 5th scoring option, he would have been lethal.

Would love to have haved Micah Mason. #4 in the history of college basketball in 3 Point FG%. If any of these guys can shoot like that I'll take them regardless of rank. I was clearly RIGHT on Mason. On a good team where he was an off the bench guy or the 5th scoring option, he would have been lethal.
If only it was a game of horse.

What was it you heard? I missed the other thread, I guess.
From his Cuse dribbles...

“** This team plays much like that team of Willard’s first year, but I do see the future with X and T and A with greater upside. But they need help. And if I’m to believe what I’ve been told as of late, those commitments of help will soon be on their way. But for now, I’ll forgo fuller discussion on that topic to the Vader’s of the world.”

When pressed he said it wasn’t specifically about Wahab. Just that someone who would know told him he heard good things recruiting wise.

Reactions: cabe23
Brown is Trey's friend and Brown played with Kofi I believe. Antigua and Keatts are involved. So...

You dont make any sense. You pump Mason and Parker Stewart for shooting ability. Stewart was the worst defender to ever wear a Pitt uniform. But then call a great shooter in Drumgoole an a10 player. Does this make sense to anyone? It makes zero sense to me.

Reactions: dwkuhn
You dont make any sense. You pump Mason and Parker Stewart for shooting ability. Stewart was the worst defender to ever wear a Pitt uniform. But then call a great shooter in Drumgoole an a10 player. Does this make sense to anyone? It makes zero sense to me.

I will take ANY all-time great 3 point shooter. Mason was one of the best OF ALL TIME. If Drumgoole can shoot like that or like Stewart, sign me up.

I will take ANY all-time great 3 point shooter. Mason was one of the best OF ALL TIME. If Drumgoole can shoot like that or like Stewart, sign me up.
LOL - He avg. 12 points while playing 36 mins. per game for a garbage team. He would have been glued to the bench for Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT