ADVERTISEMENT

Vader: The New Hope: Capel Dials up Full Court Press on Recruiting, Part 2

It was reported online that Pitt coaches are at hoophall watching 3 big Pitt targets today. I have full evidence Pitt is recruiting these 3 hard, Dickinson, Timberlake, and Drumgoole. And I fully believe interest is mutual with all 3 and all 3 are very high on Pitt, which is my own personal opinion.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I will take ANY all-time great 3 point shooter. Mason was one of the best OF ALL TIME. If Drumgoole can shoot like that or like Stewart, sign me up.

As long as he can play defense, he's worth a look. Stewart couldn't play defense if his life depended on it. On this team, he would have sat on the bench for most or all of the game. 3 point shooting is just part of the game, and playing defense is where it starts.

Reactions: below0w
Dickinson and Brown are highly rated players.

Wahab would be good but seems like he wants to ride the bench at a crappy Gtown program.

Coulibaly, Hugley, the one Champaign kid, and Drumgoole are A10 level recruits. Wouldnt mind them as add-ons but need to shoot higher

Other opinions:

Drumgoole is a composite 4*. He has five P6 offers not including Pitt.

Coulibaly is a former composite 4*, still rated as a 4* by ESPN. He has eight P6 offers not including Pitt. He also has great tape against high level competition in international play (small high school, though).

Hugley and "the one" Champaign(ie) are 2020 recruits. Plenty of time to continue to evaluate, but both have 3 P6 offers not including Pitt.

Your opinion that these are A10 level recruits is based on what exactly?

Reactions: Ski11585 and gary2
They just announced on the hoophall broadcast that Pitt is one of 5 schools recruiting Dickinson the hardest per Dickinson. And Drumgoole looks good, he just buried another 3. Timberlake Looks good too.

Other opinions:

Coulibaly is a former composite 4*, still rated as a 4* by ESPN. He has eight P6 offers not including Pitt. He also has great tape against high level competition in international play (small high school, though).

Hugley and "the one" Champaign(ie) are 2020 recruits. Plenty of time to continue to evaluate, but both have 3 P6 offers not including Pitt.

I'd be very pleased with commitments from Drumgoole and Couibaly. I don't know enough about Hugley and Champaign just yet, but I assume that they too would be solid additions.

Yeah but there is always room for a "shooter". Look at Buddy Boeheim. I forget the kid from Louisville a few years back (Hancock?) even our buddy Jason Maile.

I think Parker Stewart would have really helped this team.

Buddy Boeheim averages 3.7ppg. We allowed him to get wide open looks. No one else will now and he can’t create his own shot. He is a spot shooter.

Ashton was a Big East All-Conference player. False equivalency.
Yeah - Ashton wasn't great at creating his own shot, but he had a very quick trigger when he had an open look.

I feel like you could crochet mittens waiting for Boeheim's release. It's like a push shot.

All these guys that Steel mentioned are mouth watering. I just don't want to get my hopes up until Capel starts closing the deal. Every day that passes without a commitment worries me.

Reactions: PittAU and Chaos
I posted in the wrong thread. 247 just changed Hughley weight to 260lbs and upped him to 4 star in the composite. Hes now 160 nationally. 247 reads this message board and adjusts accordingly LOL. I really want the Oak Hill duo Brown and Thomas. Thomas scoring ability is ridiculously good and I may want him the most, he really looks good. Dam NC State.

Other opinions:

Doooooooooood. I haven't been following these threads closely but DRUMGOOLE is an A-10 recruit? That's insane. He's probably my favorite Pitt level recruit of this whole cycle along with Chris Ledlum. I mean, did anyone watch him today? He's a star.

Doooooooooood. I haven't been following these threads closely but DRUMGOOLE is an A-10 recruit? That's insane. He's probably my favorite Pitt level recruit of this whole cycle along with Chris Ledlum. I mean, did anyone watch him today? He's a star.

He's a good shooter who can also drive to the hoop with good athleticism. I doubt both he and Brown would want to come here together, and it would be pretty damn hard to pick between the two. It seems like we're in a better spot for Drumgoole. He'd fit nicely at the 3 next year, spotting up on the wing and in the corner getting dished out 3s from the two guards.

He's a good shooter who can also drive to the hoop with good athleticism. I doubt both he and Brown would want to come here together, and it would be pretty damn hard to pick between the two. It seems like we're in a better spot for Drumgoole. He'd fit nicely at the 3 next year, spotting up on the wing and in the corner getting dished out 3s from the two guards.
I'm missing something why the 2 of them cant play together at the 2 and 3. Brown was a former 5 star that had turf toe last year. He slid in the rankings playing with the injury and looks healthy now. Brown can shoot too. He was a 37% 3 point shooter at Adidas last summer. I dont understand at all all this opinion why both of them cant come to Pitt and play together. They both are athletic and can shoot. Why not?? Anyone? Vader???

Yeah - Ashton wasn't great at creating his own shot, but he had a very quick trigger when he had an open look.

I feel like you could crochet mittens waiting for Boeheim's release. It's like a push shot.
Ashton had that slick side step to create enough separation for him shot.

Folks always Undersold his ability to create his shot because it wasn’t flashy and athletic.
Just effective

I should have been more clear, my point was you don't have to create your own shot to be a good player.
Agree. There has always been a place on any team for a great shooter. Gibbs was an all-BE player for us without being able to do anything off the bounce.

Not defending SMF but why bag on a player like Mason when we spent about 10 years with a roster full of guards that could neither create nor shoot?

The kid was a good college player and a great shooter.

Ashton had that slick side step to create enough separation for him shot.

Folks always Undersold his ability to create his shot because it wasn’t flashy and athletic.
Just effective
That's not creating his own shot. That's giving himself space to get his shot up. Any strong perimeter shooter is able to do that, it's not like they get to stand alone in a gym and shoot uncontested. Any high-level spot up jump shooter can create a little space off the catch and get the shot up quick. Ashton was certainly that kind of player.

Ashton was a great shooter but couldn't shoot or create off the dribble, we all saw what happened his senior year when he became a primary ballhandler and had to shoot off the bounce.

Buddy Boeheim is shooting 30.8% from three point range and 29% overall this year. He can't shoot over anyone or get room to get off his shot. He can make a shot if he is wide open, sometimes. That's not a good recipe if you want playing time. Hence, there are several games where he didn't even play, and his Dad is the head coach.[/QUOTE]

I'm missing something why the 2 of them cant play together at the 2 and 3. Brown was a former 5 star that had turf toe last year. He slid in the rankings playing with the injury and looks healthy now. Brown can shoot too. He was a 37% 3 point shooter at Adidas last summer. I dont understand at all all this opinion why both of them cant come to Pitt and play together. They both are athletic and can shoot. Why not?? Anyone? Vader???

Because you dont want to sit either X or Trey.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Let me add my name to the list of posters that look forward to your updates. Very refreshing to read positive news. Can't wait to see the dam break and learn which of these names flow through to us.

With such a long list it begs the question of the realistic number we could take if all, or even many, decide to come to Pitt. If no one reclassifies, could we take the twins, Cam Thomas, Dickinson and Timberlake in 2020? Would they still be interested if we already had Coulibaly, Wahab, Drumgoole, Brown, RJ David and Hugley? Hell of a nice problem to have and probably a very unlikely scenario but it doesn't hurt to dream, right?

Would be interested in your thoughts on the elimination probability. If we get Wahab, does that eliminate Coulibaly? If we get Brown and Drumgoole, does that eliminate Timberlake? Thomas? If the twins say yes, who does that eliminate? And, by the way, does Ethan Morton's absence signal your acceptance that he's not coming here?

Dare to dream! Thanks Vader.

First let me mention that I didn’t leave players out for any particular reason. For example, Pitt is still recruiting Morton and a lot of other players, I just didn’t mention them in this particular thread post.

Pitt could take up to 6 in 2019. Let’s look at what we have as the building block

Pg-Johnson

Sg-Mcgowens

Sf-

W / PF- Toney

C- Brown

Bench G-Davis

That’s it. We have a strong building block, but have 8 ships to work with the next 2 years and playing time all over the place except at PG which is fairly locked up with the 2 freshmen for now. There is starter minutes and backup minutes there for the taking.

Second, players committing will 100% impact other players coming. I put a huge piece out on Timberlake weeks ago. One of the biggest things Timberlake wants is a chance to start and good PT as a frosh, it is very important to him. If Pitt starts landing 2’s and 3’s and there isn't open playing time, Timberlake is almost 100% going somewhere else most likely.

The only reason the twins should prep is because they want more exposure and offers to / from other teams as they build their skill sets. If they are set on say Pitt, it makes zero sense to prep. At worst case they redshirt a year playing under a real college coach, not a high school coach to get ready for D1 basketball. Pitt is in good position here.

Pitt needs talent everywhere. We are in a position to be selective, but not highly selective if that makes sense. Every player I mentioned is good and has talent to play at this level. None of these players are A-10 reaches. Pitt will certainly without question take Wahab and Coulibaly and there is a decent chance Pitt is getting both of them. The ball needs to start rolling and we need players under our wing. Of course, some of these players are better than others on the list. But if one of them is ready to say Im coming to Pitt, we are taking him.

Third, Drumgoole and Brown, 100% both will be taken if we can get both. This is the age of position less basketball. We couldn’t run these 2 together against a press team right now, but against a zone team like Syracuse, absolutely these two could play together on the floor because they can shoot. Both very well may visit at the exact same time in February together. We want both.

Third, the skill sets of these players are not the same. As Pitt continues to land players, we can be more selective with other targets that fit our needs. For now, we have needs everywhere. We need shooters from 3. Drumgoole and Brown offer that. We need big men badly. We need players that focus on defense. We need players that can rebound. We recruit for the most part high level athletes. And Capel is going to continue recruiting players with TTA (Toughness, Tenacity, Aggressive) attitude as I mentioned earlier.

Fourth, and this is a big question, where does Toney wind up down the road. Do we use him at the 4. Do we try to fully transition him to the 3. Does he play both. Toney is very underrated. He is the top player for the entire season in plus minus for the entire team at +159. Mcgowens is number 2 at +141, Johnson 4th. N’dir is ranked last in our regular rotation in plus minus. Toney also is a very good defensive player and our best rebounder. He is not, however, a good 3 point shooter right now.

Fifth, and let’s be realistic, Kevin Keatts is a player’s coach and players love him and he recruits well. He’s also becoming a major pain recruiting against him. They already have 2 very good combo guards committed and Seabron is far from being a full time PG in college, he is more a point forward 3. At what point do recruits look at the logjam down there and say Id rather start at Pitt as a true freshman with next to zero competition than play behind 3 guys ahead of me. Lecque plans to enter the nba early but he is behind for now getting there as early as he wants. We are going right at NC State for both Oak Hill kids. And they are a contender for another 5-star guard, Jaden Springer. Pitt is spending a lot of time watching Oak Hill and Brown / Thomas.

Most of these players are visiting Pitt in the future and a good number of them have already been to Pitt on unofficials. Every time a player comes down to visit, we have a chance to close. I cant tell you exactly how Capel wants to piece the puzzle together with the future roster. I can tell you who Pitt really wants. Landing a good number of the players I am writing about will vault us into the team everyone wants to become in the future. I like our chances…

Last edited:
First let me mention that I don’t leave players out for any particular reason. For example, Pitt is still recruiting Morton and a lot of other players, I just didn’t mention them in this particular thread post.

Pitt could take up to 6 in 2019. Let’s look at what we have as the building block

Pg-Johnson

Sg-Mcgowens

Sf-

W / PF- Toney

C- Brown

Bench G-Davis

That’s it. We have a strong building block, but have 8 ships to work with the next 2 years and playing time all over the place except at PG which is fairly locked up with the 2 freshmen for now. There is starter minutes and backup minutes there for the taking.

Second, players committing will 100% impact other players coming. I put a huge piece out on Timberlake weeks ago. One of the biggest things Timberlake wants is a chance to start and good PT as a frosh, it is very important to him. If Pitt starts landing 2’s and 3’s and there isn't open playing time, Timberlake is almost 100% going somewhere else most likely.

The only reason the twins should prep is because they want more exposure and offers to / from other teams as they build their skill sets. If they are set on say Pitt, it makes zero sense to prep. At worst case they redshirt a year playing under a real college coach, not a high school coach to get ready for D1 basketball. Pitt is in good position here.

Pitt needs talent everywhere. We are in a position to be selective, but not highly selective if that makes sense. Every player I mentioned is good and has talent to play at this level. None of these players are A-10 reaches. Pitt will certainly without question take Wahab and Coulibaly and there is a decent chance Pitt is getting both of them. The ball needs to start rolling and we need players under our wing. Of course, some of these players are better than others on the list. But if one of them is ready to say Im coming to Pitt, we are taking him.

Third, Drumgoole and Brown, 100% both will be taken if we can get both. This is the age of position less basketball. We couldn’t run these 2 together against a press team right now, but against a zone team like Syracuse, absolutely these two could play together on the floor because they can shoot. Both very well may visit at the exact same time in February together. We want both.

Third, the skill sets of these players are not the same. As Pitt continues to land players, we can be more selective with other targets that fit our needs. For now, we have needs everywhere. We need shooters from 3. Drumgoole and Brown offer that. We need big men badly. We need players that focus on defense. We need players that can rebound. We recruit for the most part high level athletes. And Capel is going to continue recruiting players with TTA (Toughness, Tenacity, Aggressive) attitude as I mentioned earlier.

Fourth, and this is a big question, where does Toney wind up down the road. Do we use him at the 4. Do we try to fully transition him to the 3. Does he play both. Toney is very underrated. He is the top player for the entire season in plus minus for the entire team at +159. Mcgowens is number 2 at +141, Johnson 4th. N’dir is ranked last in our regular rotation in plus minus. Toney also is a very good defensive player and our best rebounder. He is not, however, a good 3 point shooter right now.

Fifth, and let’s be realistic, Kevin Keatts is a player’s coach and players love him and he recruits well. He’s also becoming a major pain recruiting against him. They already have 2 very good combo guards committed and Seabron is far from being a full time PG in college, he is more a point forward 3. At what point do recruits look at the logjam down there and say Id rather start at Pitt as a true freshman with next to zero competition than play behind 3 guys ahead of me. Lecque plans to enter the nba early but he is behind for now getting there as early as he wants. We are going right at NC State for both Oak Hill kids. And they are a contender for another 5-star guard, Jaden Springer. Pitt is spending a lot of time watching Oak Hill and Brown / Thomas.

Most of these players are visiting Pitt in the future and a good number of them have already been to Pitt on unofficials. Every time a player comes down to visit, we have a chance to close. I cant tell you exactly how Capel wants to piece the puzzle together with the future roster. I can tell you who Pitt really wants. Landing a good number of the players I am writing about will vault us into the team everyone wants to become in the future. I like our chances…
Let the Backpedaling Begin.. Looks like the Force is not With You..

Mason couldn't get his shot off against anyone with average athleticism. He would have never left the bench in a P5 conference.

He wouldn't have seen the court at Duquesne if they were even an average team.

Would love to have haved Micah Mason. #4 in the history of college basketball in 3 Point FG%. If any of these guys can shoot like that I'll take them regardless of rank. I was clearly RIGHT on Mason. On a good team where he was an off the bench guy or the 5th scoring option, he would have been lethal.

I will take ANY all-time great 3 point shooter. Mason was one of the best OF ALL TIME. If Drumgoole can shoot like that or like Stewart, sign me up.

That's not creating his own shot. That's giving himself space to get his shot up. Any strong perimeter shooter is able to do that, it's not like they get to stand alone in a gym and shoot uncontested. Any high-level spot up jump shooter can create a little space off the catch and get the shot up quick. Ashton was certainly that kind of player.

Ashton was a great shooter but couldn't shoot or create off the dribble, we all saw what happened his senior year when he became a primary ballhandler and had to shoot off the bounce.
So-
Your counter is to demonstrate how he was able to create enough separation to get off his shot-
To prove he couldn’t create his own shot.

Mason couldn't get his shot off against anyone with average athleticism. He would have never left the bench in a P5 conference.

Hold up. Mason is the 4th best 3 point shooter that ever lived and you honestly believe he couldnt play for ANY major D1 teams even though the A10 was really good with Xavier, Temple, Shaka, and Archie.

If you can shoot like that, you can play just about anywhere.

Hold up. Mason is the 4th best 3 point shooter that ever lived and you honestly believe he couldnt play for ANY major D1 teams even though the A10 was really good with Xavier, Temple, Shaka, and Archie.

Who ranks 1, 2, and 3 on your list?

Whoa. I can't believe we are doing this. This isn't football. This is why Pitt and Pittsburgh basketball fans are the worst. P5 conference? What the hell does that mean? Xavier. Villanova. Gonzaga. They aren't P5 conference teams, and they have been as good as any programs the last decade. Nevada, Marquette, Providence, friggin Buffalo. Butler went to back to back Final 4's and Champ games.

Let's stop with the elitism here.

It doesn't work that way.

Using your logic, Isaac Williams, Calvin Songster and Trevor Osborne wouldn't have been D3 players. They all shoot the 3 better than your hero in this fantasy tale.

There wasn't any "elitism" in what I was writing- Mason wouldn't have gotten off the bench on the teams you mentioned as well.

You left out the only school that really matters in all of this: Duquesne.

Whoa. I can't believe we are doing this. This isn't football. This is why Pitt and Pittsburgh basketball fans are the worst. P5 conference? What the hell does that mean? Xavier. Villanova. Gonzaga. They aren't P5 conference teams, and they have been as good as any programs the last decade. Nevada, Marquette, Providence, friggin Buffalo. Butler went to back to back Final 4's and Champ games.

Let's stop with the elitism here.

Last edited:

I remember there was an old guy, a retired doctor I think, who used to shoot 3 pointers as a halftime show. Usually made about 48 of 50. I wonder why he turned down all those major offers he must have received.

Reactions: FireballZ
Part 2

Henry Coleman

A player I had mentioned in the past. His stock should continue to rise as he continues his strong play with his high motor. I really like this kids game but it will be difficult to pull him to Pitt. While many , many, insiders think he is Virginia’s to lose, his inside circle and his father, a Virginia Tech alum, are pushing Virginia Tech hard. He has been to Pitt on an unofficial. Talk has been quiet but I hope we can get him back for a 2nd visit. He is very, very, good with stock rising.

John Hugley

As I mentioned in a prior post, it is more important being concerned if Pitt can actually land Hugley, as opposed to Hugley being deemed as a good basketball player. Multiple major programs are on him including the entire Big Ten and Louisville. Not only has multiple Michigan State assistants been down to see him recently, Tom Izzo himself has now officially visited him this week. Not only does Pitt want him, so does a bevy of other schools coming after him. He has recently been to Pitt with his coach / handler as I reported. Pitt has offered and I think he will make his way back to Pitt a 2nd time. As I said, his stock is rising fast and many programs are now trying to enter the picture. Once he gets into a major strength and conditioning program, his game could really take off.

Demarr Langford

Talk has been very quiet on Langford, a Top 100 guard from Putnam. He is down to 4 schools with Uconn as the perceived leader. He is eligible to reclassify to 2019 and has previously mentioned his strong relationship with Jeff Capel and mentioned he could see himself playing at Pitt with our guards. While Pitt is not viewed as the leader, we are on the short list and Uconn is currently facing a scholarship shortage.

Dematha

Ive talked about the duo of Dickinson and Timberlake a lot for well over a month. Dematha is ridiculously strong this year because of these two players. They have picked off and beat many Top 25 Nationally ranked teams this year and play the hardest high school schedule in the entire country and play in the toughest high school basketball league in the country and only have 1 loss to date. As mentioned, they are ranked #3 in the country in high school. These two players are two of the best overall fits for what Jeff Capel wants or very close to it. They offer anything you could ask for and are built for shut down defense for the transition game. Pitt continues to be in prime position for both and a 2nd visit will take place at Pitt for both of them. They should be at the top of everyone’s wish list.

Pitt is also monitoring DJ Gordon with no offer to date and Noah Collier where Pitt currently is on the outside looking in.

Make no mistake about it, the dam is going to break on Pitt recruiting soon and it should be expected that multiple players will be committing to Pitt in the near future. It is going to happen, Im telling you it is. And these aren’t going to be reaches that we pray will be good like we saw under Dixon and Stallings the last 5 years. These are legit D1 quality basketball players with legit D1 offers Jeff Capel is going to win in the recruiting process. Buckle your seatbelt, Jeff Capel has pushed the recruiting gas pedal to the floor and the results will show soon enough...
That did not take long. LOL. Hugley is coming back a 2nd time to Pitt just like you said for the Pitt Duke game. Just read it on Twitter. Hopefully the handler comes too. New Pitt commit here with Hugley? I'll take him.

Reported on twitter DJ Gordon in For game tonight. Hopeful we put in a strong performace and get a commit. Also wonder who else is there tonight.

Reactions: Elsalvador
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT