ADVERTISEMENT

Vader's Post Game

Its the players!

Look at Trey Mcgowens. He was a flop last year at Nebraska just like I said he would be. They lost on opening night too and he wasn't some star player in his 4th year at college. He's still a bust.

Look at X. 3 turnovers in the first 5 minutes at Indiana and put on the bench for most of the first half because of it and you could see him sulking on the bench. Indiana barely won last night with all that talent. X didn't make them better. He did the same dumb mistakes at Indiana with far more talent than us as he did here in game 1.

Who is going to win with Terrell Brown? Nobody. Not Coach K or anybody. He isnt close to being a D1 Power 6 caliber player.

The 2 guys that stood out last night were AKC and Toney. And low and behold, those two were 2 of the highest offensive efficiency ranked players at Pitt last year. AKC is going to make Capel look bad with the way Capel under used him. Toney wasn't a team player at Pitt.

No Coach is going to win with 1 guard on the team in our current situation. Nobody.
Was it the players at Oklahoma too? Who is responsible for the roster? Must be nice to have no accountability for coaching, or recruiting. It’s year 4. This roster is 100% on Capel. And it’s a joke. And Judah Mintz won’t make much difference. The last place teams in the league always have a good player. Adding Mintz and Buchanan to this mess isn’t going to take us from a 1 win ACC team to a 9 win ACC team lol.

Reactions: rockypanther
Piling on is to be expected. But I am going to double down with what I say. If Big John and Femi play at a very respectable efficiency level all season with borderline good to great numbers, the turnaround with players like Mintz, Horton, Sibande, Burton etc.. will be far, far easier assuming we get these players back in the future.

And if people don't believe me, then look at Ashton Gibbs Pitt career. When Gibbs was surrounded by high quality players like Brad Wanamaker and Gilbert Brown, he was 1st Team All ACC player getting 1 seeds and 3 seeds. Without those players and when Gibbs had to shoulder the load, his stats and efficiency numbers heavily tanked as a senior!

Big John and Femi need to play at a higher efficiency level on offense. When you add in those players above to help them and take all the weight off of them, you could see their efficiency numbers in line with old school Pitt teams that earned high seeds, at a potential high level. What those 2 did, at least for 1 game, was very encouraging.

Nothing what I wrote preseason was off for what I expected except Chris Payton. The players who started were supposed to be very small depth pieces this year. Before the injuries, I had Jeffress around 10 mpg preseason as he is only 18. No where did I think Jeffress was going to make some big jump this year like other people did. People should reread what I wrote.

We have 1 guard on the team, Femi. That alone is going to provide all kinds of problems because we cant apply any type of extra defensive pressure with 1 guard. It sucks, but it is what it is. We will use the press and traps with Mintz and Burton and a healthy lineup of guards. With 1 guard, we are very limited.

Dude, you're pining to get players back who wouldn't even be in the 8-man rotation of a respectable ACC team. It sounds like a fan of a 65-win Pirate team saying, "Yeah, but if Colin Moran didn't get hurt..."

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
Its the players!

Look at Trey Mcgowens. He was a flop last year at Nebraska just like I said he would be. They lost on opening night too and he wasn't some star player in his 4th year at college. He's still a bust.

Look at X. 3 turnovers in the first 5 minutes at Indiana and put on the bench for most of the first half because of it and you could see him sulking on the bench. Indiana barely won last night with all that talent. X didn't make them better. He did the same dumb mistakes at Indiana with far more talent than us as he did here in game 1.

Who is going to win with Terrell Brown? Nobody. Not Coach K or anybody. He isnt close to being a D1 Power 6 caliber player.

The 2 guys that stood out last night were AKC and Toney. And low and behold, those two were 2 of the highest offensive efficiency ranked players at Pitt last year. AKC is going to make Capel look bad with the way Capel under used him. Toney wasn't a team player at Pitt.

No Coach is going to win with 1 guard on the team in our current situation. Nobody.

What I'm saying is coaching still matters to a degree. This lineup is going 6-14 in the ACC next year because he cant coach

PG - Femi
SG - Horton
SF - Mintz
PF - need to bring someone in
C - Hugley

6th man - Sibande

That team has talent but his teams dont defend, rebound, play with passion, or run any offense to speak of.

It’s the players is an excuse in year 1. In year 4, it’s not. If that’s truly your excuse, he should be fired immediately. 90 percent of the job is recruiting and development.
No one put a gun to Capel’s head to tell him to recruit X and Trey. The only player that Vader mentioned who was a stallings recruit was Terrell Brown, and Terrell Brown is better than anything we have off the bench for a big this year lol. He was fine as a 3rd center.

I don’t understand this argument - “it’s the players”. No kidding. But the coach gets paid, handsomely, to recruit, evaluate talent, compose a roster etc. and in all facets, Capel get a F grade. Maybe F minus.

Was it the players at Oklahoma too? Who is responsible for the roster? Must be nice to have no accountability for coaching, or recruiting. It’s year 4. This roster is 100% on Capel. And it’s a joke. And Judah Mintz won’t make much difference. The last place teams in the league always have a good player. Adding Mintz and Buchanan to this mess isn’t going to take us from a 1 win ACC team to a 9 win ACC team lol.

Mintz, Sibande, Burton, Horton is adding 4 players. Not 1 player. Ill stand on my own island here and say that team can make a massive turnaround because we need guards and they are all guards and we are playing a guards game in college.

Reactions: TWPitt
What I'm saying is coaching still matters to a degree. This lineup is going 6-14 in the ACC next year because he cant coach

PG - Femi
SG - Horton
SF - Mintz
PF - need to bring someone in
C - Hugley

6th man - Sibande

That team has talent but his teams dont defend, rebound, play with passion, or run any offense to speak of.
6-14 is optimistic. And there is 0.0% chance those players are all on the team. Of the bunch, I feel like Horton is the one most likely to be here lol, how sad is that.

Mintz, Sibande, Burton, Horton is adding 4 players. Not 1 player. Ill stand on my own island here and say that team can make a massive turnaround because we need guards and they are all guards and we are playing a guards game in college.
Burton and Horton are 4th option guards. SIbandie is a 3rd option guard. I’ll believe Mintz plays a second for Capel when I see it.

I say this with 100 percent certainty. If Femi Odukale at age 21 plays like he played last night all season, and the season plays out wins and losses wise, he will not be on the roster next season.

Awesome, we’re going to have guards!!! Hooray. That will be such an advantage over other ACC teams, who don’t have guards.

wait - those teams all have guards as well. And frontcourts. And coaches and staffs with a pulse…

Awesome, we’re going to have guards!!! Hooray. That will be such an advantage over other ACC teams, who don’t have guards.

wait - those teams all have guards as well. And frontcourts. And coaches and staffs with a pulse…

If Capel doesnt have a significant turnaround next year, he is gone. Underestimate Mintz at your own will.

If Capel doesnt have a significant turnaround next year, he is gone. Underestimate Mintz at your own will.
I don’t underestimate him. I think he will add 4-5 wins next year in league. We’ll go from
1-19 to 5-15. Is that a massive turnaround and acceptable for year 5 of the Capel era, you let me know….

Burton and Horton are 4th option guards. SIbandie is a 3rd option guard. I’ll believe Mintz plays a second for Capel when I see it.

I say this with 100 percent certainty. If Femi Odukale at age 21 plays like he played last night all season, and the season plays out wins and losses wise, he will not be on the roster next season.
Femi and Hugley are going to be red hot commodities for the portal with the numbers they will put up. I think Femi probably goes pro with his age. For Hugley, if he wants to play at a blue blood next year he probably could transfer up. I hope he stays though, given that Capel stuck by him.

Its the players!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. ROFLMAO.

Who’s responsible for having those players?

You’re too much man. Wow.

I don’t underestimate him. I think he will add 4-5 wins next year in league. We’ll go from
1-19 to 5-15. Is that a massive turnaround and acceptable for year 5 of the Capel era, you let me know….

No it isnt. But I think with Mintz, Horton, Sibande, and Burton with Big John and Femi, that team could compete for a .500 record in the ACC next year. And I am putting that in writing now.

No it isnt. But I think with Mintz, Horton, Sibande, and Burton with Big John and Femi, that team could compete for a .500 record in the ACC next year. And I am putting that in writing now.
At least 2, but more likely 3-4 of those players will not be wearing Pitt script next year.

Is that supposed to add some degree of believability? 95% of what you've "put in writing!" needs to be crinkled up and slam dunked into the nearest wastebasket.

Femi and Hugley are going to be red hot commodities for the portal with the numbers they will put up. I think Femi probably goes pro with his age. For Hugley, if he wants to play at a blue blood next year he probably could transfer up. I hope he stays though, given that Capel stuck by him.
I think Hugley would be smart to stay where he is. Over the course of the season I believe he’ll prove to be dominant against bad teams like Citadel and be solid to bad against good teams. He’s a middle of the road ACC big.

I think Hugley would be smart to stay where he is. Over the course of the season I believe he’ll prove to be dominant against bad teams like Citadel and be solid to bad against good teams. He’s a middle of the road ACC big.

I remember when you voiced your opinion loudly on Femi early on that we beat Umass to get him and that he was worse than Morton. I remember 5 games into his college career coming of a horrible broken arm injury, you declared victory with your Femi prediction. that he would bust.

Before you pump Femi to the NBA now, you can admit you were way wrong betting against a NY point guard.

I know you are going to come back and say Pitt stinks this year and Femi isnt a real leader after losing to the Citadel. But he is going to make you look bad.

Its the players!

The construction of the current roster was the responsibility of exactly who?

Capel was brought in to recruit. Most felt he was a better recruiter than technical coach.

Anyone blaming the players HE recruited is missing the obvious.

I think Hugley is a little better than that and I also think there’s gonna be some good teams sniffing around. And that’s not based on last night. We obviously didn’t see much of him last year. But he showed some flashes that made me think he has a higher ceiling than you do and I did say so at the time so it’s not a decency thing. We’ll see of course but he was the one guy I was excited about.

Mintz may be good. The others have limited upside and that won’t lead to a turnaround.

Of all the big time recruits he brought in to Duke, it's not capel or any coach they would bring in, it's Pitt,

Capel bringing big time recruits in to Duke under Coach K is like a 9-year-old helping his dad fix the truck.

His hands may have been all over it, but how much of it actually depended on him?

Reactions: FireballZ
You aren't on an island with that thought.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
Somehow “next year” never seems to arrive.

Keep Capel and my guess it never will. Turnover and turmoil seem his calling card.

Somehow “next year” never seems to arrive.

Keep Capel and my guess it never will. Turnover and turmoil seem his calling card.

Im going to see how this season plays out. Im going to see how the Citadel does against Duke coming up. Im going to see how the younger players progress along with Femi and Big John this year. Im going to see how this young team responds and handles adversity.

I don't judge a season or program or a player on 1 game. We literally had this discussion a year ago with early seasons losses and it is just that, early in the season as in 1 game.

Georgia Tech lost to Mercer and Georgia State last year in back to back games to open the season. Then they won the ACC Title.

Getting Horton back this year and Burton back at just 80% this year changes things for this season.

Its going to be very difficult to beat anybody, and I mean anybody, with 1 current guard on the team. Seeing if the young players progress is what is important. Move on to next game and improve and try to challenge West Virginia.

Reactions: lunzhegu and TWPitt
Im going to see how this season plays out. Im going to see how the Citadel does against Duke coming up. Im going to see how the younger players progress along with Femi and Big John this year. Im going to see how this young team responds and handles adversity.

I don't judge a season or program or a player on 1 game. We literally had this discussion a year ago with early seasons losses and it is just that, early in the season as in 1 game.

Georgia Tech lost to Mercer and Georgia State last year in back to back games to open the season. Then they won the ACC Title.

Getting Horton back this year and Burton back at just 80% this year changes things for this season.

Its going to be very difficult to beat anybody, and I mean anybody, with 1 current guard on the team. Seeing if the young players progress is what is important. Move on to next game and improve and try to challenge West Virginia.
Fair enough. I had hope for this season before it started.

The injuries without adequate replacements (open scholarship and everyone knew we needed a scorer), more legal problems and lack of more early period recruiting success, has made that hope hard to hold on to.

At least 2, but more likely 3-4 of those players will not be wearing Pitt script next year.
Are we bringing back the Block Pitt?!?!?!!?
Femi isn’t playing for Pitt next year. He’s a tall NY PG who’s old. Going somewhere to win or going to jump to the next level to make some money. And that’s not piling on because I’ve been saying it for weeks.
Yeah. If he has the season Vader is predicting he's gonzo. As he should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT