ADVERTISEMENT

Vader's Post Game

Burton and Horton are 4th option guards. SIbandie is a 3rd option guard. I’ll believe Mintz plays a second for Capel when I see it.

I say this with 100 percent certainty. If Femi Odukale at age 21 plays like he played last night all season, and the season plays out wins and losses wise, he will not be on the roster next season.

If Femi and Hugley leave and Mintz goes elsewhere, its lights out for Capel, he isnt going to be given the opportunity to coach this lineup

PG - Onye
SG - Santos
SF - Jeffress
PF - Payton
C - Collier

That team would go winless in the A10 and finish below .500 in the NEC

And Collier… he was the one guy he was high on heading into last year.. very wrong there. Unfortunately
What was absolutely frightening, with an entire year and half in our S&C program and what would be considered "practice", Jeffress and Collier were having trouble getting rebounds and converting layups against.....the Citadel. I mean it should be a dunk contest against them. Stumpy, crew cutted white dudes. And these guys were rushing shots, missing the rim, not dunking like me playing against Gannon varsity players when I tried to take it in for a layup in pick up games.

Reactions: gary2
If Femi and Hugley leave and Mintz goes elsewhere, its lights out for Capel, he isnt going to be given the opportunity to coach this lineup

PG - Onye
SG - Santos
SF - Jeffress
PF - Payton
C - Collier

That team would go winless in the A10 and finish below .500 in the NEC
UGH

What was absolutely frightening, with an entire year and half in our S&C program and what would be considered "practice", Jeffress and Collier were having trouble getting rebounds and converting layups against.....the Citadel. I mean it should be a dunk contest against them. Stumpy, crew cutted white dudes. And these guys were rushing shots, missing the rim, not dunking like me playing against Gannon varsity players when I tried to take it in for a layup in pick up games.
How does the S&C coach still have a job? He was here under Stallings and Capel kept him. Howland cleaned house when he got here and those players worked their a## off in the weight room as opposed to sleeping like they did under Willard.

Last edited:
Reactions: JokePa
How does the S&C coach still have a job? He was here under Stallings and Capel kept him. Howland cleaned house when he got here and those players worked their a## off in the weight room as opposed to sleeping like they did under Willard.
There nothing wrong with s & c. That's a ridiculous scapegoat when you have not enough talent.

There nothing wrong with s & c. That's a ridiculous scapegoat when you have not enough talent.
I am blaming Capel for retaining him, and that absolutely is part of the problem. One of many problems under Capel. You need someone that is going to set the tone in the off-season and hold these guys accountable. The entire staff from top to bottom needs fired. The ONLY good thing from the Capel Era was Justin Champagnie. Everything else (on and off the court) has been a train wreck.

I am blaming Capel for retaining him, and that absolutely is part of the problem. One of many problems under Capel. You need someone that is going to set the tone in the off-season and hold these guys accountable. The entire staff from top to bottom needs fired. The ONLY good thing from the Capel Era was Justin Champagnie. Everything else (on and off the court) has been a train wreck.
I wouldn't blame him for that. It's ridiculous. They work out hard enough. They just can't play well.

Go look at Gonzaga. You don't have to be jacked to play basketball and all our players got bigger and stronger.
It doesn't matter.
Id actually argue its the opposite.
They need less time in the weight room and more time on the court.

I wouldn't blame him for that. It's ridiculous. They work out hard enough. They just can't play well.

Go look at Gonzaga. You don't have to be jacked to play basketball and all our players got bigger and stronger.
It doesn't matter.
Id actually argue its the opposite.
They need less time in the weight room and more time on the court.

The S&C coach is the most overrated thing in college sports. I could google some workout plans for football and basketball and the teams wouldn't win any less games if I were S&C coach.

The S&C coach is the most overrated thing in college sports. I could google some workout plans for football and basketball and the teams wouldn't win any less games if I were S&C coach.
It's an insane topic. Tell me how many muscles Timme or Chet Holmgren have?
None. Because it doesn't help you play.
It helps maximize your potential, i guess.
But to think the s & c coach has any relevance to how good or bad a team is ridiculous. It can maybe marginally make you 1% better. Every team runs and lifts.

Piling on is to be expected. But I am going to double down with what I say. If Big John and Femi play at a very respectable efficiency level all season with borderline good to great numbers, the turnaround with players like Mintz, Horton, Sibande, Burton etc.. will be far, far easier assuming we get these players back in the future.

And if people don't believe me, then look at Ashton Gibbs Pitt career. When Gibbs was surrounded by high quality players like Brad Wanamaker and Gilbert Brown, he was 1st Team All ACC player getting 1 seeds and 3 seeds. Without those players and when Gibbs had to shoulder the load, his stats and efficiency numbers heavily tanked as a senior!

Big John and Femi need to play at a higher efficiency level on offense. When you add in those players above to help them and take all the weight off of them, you could see their efficiency numbers in line with old school Pitt teams that earned high seeds, at a potential high level. What those 2 did, at least for 1 game, was very encouraging.

Nothing what I wrote preseason was off for what I expected except Chris Payton. The players who started were supposed to be very small depth pieces this year. Before the injuries, I had Jeffress around 10 mpg preseason as he is only 18. No where did I think Jeffress was going to make some big jump this year like other people did. People should reread what I wrote.

We have 1 guard on the team, Femi. That alone is going to provide all kinds of problems because we cant apply any type of extra defensive pressure with 1 guard. It sucks, but it is what it is. We will use the press and traps with Mintz and Burton and a healthy lineup of guards. With 1 guard, we are very limited.

The problem is this year is going to be bad. So we’re just throwing away this year and we’re hoping he puts together a better team next year.

I blame Capel for really no involuntary changes. Jason Richards moved on, but that was his own deal.

Reactions: rockypanther

Pro sports too. I met former Steeler Mike Wagner once and somehow the conversation got on that and he just laughed when asked if thought an S&C coach made any difference.

Finally! This is 100000% true, look at Terrell Brown, dude got weaker each year. We need someone making Hughley a f'n man and getting us to be a bad@ss defensive stalwart again.

So much for all that digital ink projecting Mintz in blue and gold.

So much for all that digital ink projecting Mintz in blue and gold.

This decision by Mintz came in probably the last 24 hours. It was about 2 or 3 days ago his own grandfather was talking about him coming to Pitt.

But with a blowout loss, people calling for Capel to be fired everywhere, and zero crowd support at the game, its not all that shocking looking at it when we are down to 1 guard on the roster as it stands. And obviously Buchanan is not coming here either without Mintz.

This decision by Mintz came in probably the last 24 hours. It was about 2 or 3 days ago his own grandfather was talking about him coming to Pitt.

But with a blowout loss, people calling for Capel to be fired everywhere, and zero crowd support at the game, its not all that shocking looking at it when we are down to 1 guard on the roster as it stands. And obviously Buchanan is not coming here either without Mintz.
Capel has nobody to blame, but himself. Excuses are like a-holes. Everyone has one.

Had Capel had a babysitter for Horton (and based on the last few years, he definitely needs a staff of babysitters), or had signed more than 1 HS player, or had created a culture where players wanted to stay than leave, maybe we beat Citadel by 30 and Mintz isn't even thinking of leaving. Everything is ultimately Capel's fault.

Reactions: gary2
I remember when you voiced your opinion loudly on Femi early on that we beat Umass to get him and that he was worse than Morton. I remember 5 games into his college career coming of a horrible broken arm injury, you declared victory with your Femi prediction. that he would bust.

Before you pump Femi to the NBA now, you can admit you were way wrong betting against a NY point guard.

I know you are going to come back and say Pitt stinks this year and Femi isnt a real leader after losing to the Citadel. But he is going to make you look bad.
Hi @Vader_Storm how did this age? That leader Femi!!!

Not sure why this thread was bumped, but when I saw “Vader’s Postgame” the first thought that popped into my head was Coach K’s press conference after the Elite 8.

Has Vader disappeared?

He is busy. Just as it is tax season for accountants, the recent barrage of transfers means it is ORTG season for Vader. He is busy plugging numbers into his machine that will spit out metrics that will convince us all not to believe what we clearly see with our own eyes.

And when this happens, hundreds of Pantherlair's most loyal Vadermaniacs will like his posts and rush to his defense when he pontificates about what a solid, potential-laden team Coach Capel has assembled heading into the season. And then, after finishing a robust 14-17, we'll get to do it all over again next year.

He is busy. Just as it is tax season for accountants, the recent barrage of transfers means it is ORTG season for Vader. He is busy plugging numbers into his machine that will spit out metrics that will convince us all not to believe what we clearly see with our own eyes.

And when this happens, hundreds of Pantherlair's most loyal Vadermaniacs will like his posts and rush to his defense when he pontificates about what a solid, potential-laden team Coach Capel has assembled heading into the season. And then, after finishing a robust 14-17, we'll get to do it all over again next year.

Wow, you're very optimistic about next year with 14 total wins! I see it being a 10-21 season, maybe worse. We don't even know who is on the team. But we do know who isn't...so far. There will probably be more. And I doubt the players we might get in the portal will be any kind of difference makers. We got Gueye....that was an anomaly.

Some people just like to be told what they want to hear. This is why Vader has a fan club on the Lair.

Hi @Vader_Storm how did this age? That leader Femi!!!
You suck man. Digging this type of stuff up after like 5 months?? You must really have wanted to say “I told you so” and have a lot of time on your hands. Everyone has crappy takes. I was fully on the fire Narduzzi train after western Michigan. Looks pretty dumb now.

Wow, you're very optimistic about next year with 14 total wins! I see it being a 10-21 season, maybe worse. We don't even know who is on the team. But we do know who isn't...so far. There will probably be more. And I doubt the players we might get in the portal will be any kind of difference makers. We got Gueye....that was an anomaly.
15-16 8-12

ADVERTISEMENT