ADVERTISEMENT

VB vs Duke

plcp

Assistant Coach
May 29, 2001
Today at 1. I believe all Pitt sports won in the past three days, WBB, MBB, RASSLING, FB...

VB to make it a clean sweep.

UPDATE: All the tickets are gone. HAIL TO PITT! Beat Duke!

If anyone needs tickets, I have several extra that you can have for FREE. I can meet you at the Field House before the match starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: H2P28 and Fk_Pitt
Sweet Caroline between the 1st and 2nd set...BEAT DUKE!

I think they are finally getting back to their game.Great Job! I meant to say this earlier this year. But I think I can live with the shade of royal and gold the VB team is wearing.If the football remake is in those shades it will be a lot better.

Reactions: plcp
3,179 attendance. New record

I mentioned this before, but the 3K seating planned for the new sports arena in the athletic master plan is too small. It is too small for what wrestling and gymnastics are both getting now, and will be too small for volleyball if they keep winning. It needs to be 4-5K, minimum.

BTW, FSU came back from a 2 set deficit to beat Notre Dame 3-2, so next Friday at 6:30 really is a defacto ACC championship game. If Pitt wins @ FSU, they'll guarantee themselves a share of the ACC title even if they lose out @ Miami and vs GT... and Pitt won't lose to GT. They'll most likely win the ACC outright with a win on Friday.

With a loss, they'll have to make sure they win at Miami to get a share, and any title will likely be shared because FSU has two fairly easy games left at UNC and NCSU.

But next weekend is also big for Pitt's RPI. Pitt is currently at #9 in the RPI and FSU is #31 and Miami is #81. So this is the last real chance to get a top 50 win.

I think the ACC is looking like a 4 or 5 bid league at this point. ND losing today at FSU probably knocked them out, although they have shot with UL and Duke left on their schedule. Duke is bubbly. Pitt, FSU, Lousiville, and Syracuse are probably all in.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePanthers
-fun crowd
-the libero uniform (i.e. the blue one) is better than the white one. But the whites were also good
-Duke really blocked well in the first set. At one point, it was 8-1 in favor of duke in blocks, which is a very steep ratio. Pitt changed its strategy (to me it seemed like they went to the right side more in the second half of the first set) and eventually duke’s blocking fell apart. Duke went from being damn near impenetrable in the first set to not being there at all in the third set. I dont know the exact stats but Lund was ripping the shit out of the ball in the third set...really fun to watch.
-other than that, pitt was just better.

Reactions: Chaos and HOF Coach
Watching on my iPad, it seemed like the biggest difference was that Pitt has 5 very good hitters, compared to 2 for Duke. Duke really suffered when the rotation moved one or both of their big hitters into the second row. Pitt pretty much had 3 good hitters in the first row all of the time. It wasn’t that Duke was short. But, they had some tall players who could block but almost never got setup offensively.

I agree with those observations. Pitt’s defense didn’t seem to have much trouble digging the ball. Also, duke had some really, really, REALLY ugly errors on attacks. As in, they were essentially swings and misses....the type of stuff you would see in one of the adult leagues I play in.

3,179 attendance. New record

I mentioned this before, but the 3K seating planned for the new sports arena in the athletic master plan is too small. It is too small for what wrestling and gymnastics are both getting now, and will be too small for volleyball if they keep winning. It needs to be 4-5K, minimum.

No. You build it cozy. Volleyball and wrestling are not going to top 3K consistently

Volleyball and wrestling are not going to top 3K consistently

I haven't seen a more recent update, but as of late October an average attendance of 3000 per game would put a school 8th in the NCAA in volleyball attendance. An average of 2000 per game would put you just outside the top 20.

ADVERTISEMENT