ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball vs GT 11-23

So what’s next for the team?

I see tOSU lost to unranked Indiana the other day and the D1 committee poll still has us 4th. I don’t know what that means or if it wasn’t updated after our Louisville loss.

What are we watching for next with regard to the team?

I see tOSU lost to unranked Indiana the other day and the D1 committee poll still has us 4th. I don’t know what that means or if it wasn’t updated after our Louisville loss.

I'm watching that they beat bc this Saturday to clinch a share of the acc title

Reactions: jctrack and Fk_Pitt

Selection Show on Sunday. I think they end up just outside the the top 4 - but they have a chance for sure .

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Volleyball might become my second favorite Pitt sport. Basketball cannot produce this kind of excitement and energy. The nonstop action is unreal. I never took to volleyball, but after watching this team, man alive do they make it fun and enjoyable.
I’m with you. At the highest level - it’s such an exciting sport. Only major team sport where a point is scored every time the ball is in play.

Keep Fisher , get into thst new arena, and Pitt should be a national power for years to come.

Reactions: jctrack and Chaos
it is an interesting sport in the sense that the women’s college game is the most entertaining version to watch. The college mens game is too fast, the guys are too good, and the rallys almost always end too quickly. Olympic level volleyball is pretty much too good to be interesting. Top level womens VB is right in th sweet spot between athleticism, grit, defense, and long rallys

Reactions: Chaos
Selection Show on Sunday. I think they end up just outside the the top 4 - but they have a chance for sure .

There are a lot of big games this weekend that can and will scramble things up. I think Texas and San Diego are locked into two of the top four seeds, and Louisville probably is going to be the 3rd. Wisconsin was 3rd in the poll this week and if the season was over they'd get one for sure. But they still have two matches left, against number 5 Nebraska and number 8 Ohio State. They could easily lose one or both of those. If Nebraska beat Wisconsin they are going to have a really good case for a top four. But then Nebraska also has to play number 9 Minnesota. If they win both that could be enough. But what if they beat Wisconsin and lose to Minnesota? And Ohio State also plays Minnesota. What if they beat both number three and number nine this weekend, will that be enough with the schedule they've played? I'd guess not, but who knows.

I think our only hope for a top four seed is complete chaos this weekend. If Wisconsin loses both matches and Minnesota beats Nebraska that might get us there. But we might also need Stanford to lose one this weekend, and they are playing two unranked teams.

I think it is wishful thinking they get a top 4. They will be a 2 seed most likely.
I actually like our odds. I think Pitt will be the #4 overall seed if a few matches in the final weekend go our way.

Pitt will finish #3 in RPI with a 4-2 record against the RPI top-25. Stanford will finish behind us with (potentially) a 3-4 record vs the RPI top-25. If the committee actually compares those two resumes side by side, I think that has to go to Pitt. (Pitt actually could end up with an additional top-25 win if BYU or FSU move up a few spots.)

For SD, I just think there are too many teams for them to jump in the RPI standings for the committee to make the case. We were in a pretty similar situation here in 2019 and we did not earn a top-4 seed that year. SD is currently 8th and expected to stay there, which is worse than Pitt was in 2019. Even if SD has the head-to-head win over Pitt, I don't think they can use that criteria to move SD past multiple other teams in the RPI. SD is currently only 2-1 against the RPI top-25, but would bump up to 4-1 if BYU qualifies (Pitt would be 5-2 in this scenario).

Having said all that, I think they will punish Pitt for the Towson loss, so even with the #3 RPI, they will rank us 4th, behind whoever is atop the Big Ten.

The two outcomes to watch will be UCLA at USC and Purdue at PSU. Right now Purdue is RPI #24 and USC is RPI #27. Stanford claims two top-25 wins if USC moves up, and a bunch of those Big Ten teams lose 1 or 2 top-25 wins if Purdue falls out.

it is an interesting sport in the sense that the women’s college game is the most entertaining version to watch. The college mens game is too fast, the guys are too good, and the rallys almost always end too quickly. Olympic level volleyball is pretty much too good to be interesting. Top level womens VB is right in th sweet spot between athleticism, grit, defense, and long rallys
I can tell you from experience that the HS game can be pretty exciting as well, especially when you have a family member involved.

Especially in the WPIAL and PIAA playoffs, you see some pretty good volleyball. Not every player is a 6'2 or bigger monster, but you'd be surprised how high some of these 5'8" girls can jump and hit.

It is a crazy fun game, and the girls really get into it. I now know my heart is good for another year due to the various stress tests I went through in the last couple weeks!

Reactions: Chaos and HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT