ADVERTISEMENT

VT Backcourt

Murphy - No Star Recuit
Catoor - #511 Recruit

These 2 guys don’t look the part, but they are very good basketball players.
YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT 3s!!!!!!!!

I dont understand why some basketball coaches still don't understand this. Nobody plays defense anymore so this fear that the "unathletic kid" isnt going to be able to defend is irrelevant. The game is a 3 point shooting contest. That's what it's become. When evaluating these kids, too much emphasis is placed on athleticism, handle, creating....when that stuff doesn't always translate. I'm sure Femi looked great in AAU but he cant shoot. Would you rather have him or Hunter Catoor? Or that Roche kid from The Citadel. You have to be able to make 3s.

I have said there's got to be a shooting test/drill where you can evaluate just how good a kid can shoot it.

Plus, these guys (Catoor and Murphy) played for Mike Young @ Wofford. Very familiar with the offense and Young’s coaching style

The thing I HATE about when evaluating a player who can shoot but seems unathletic is when people say he can't play at that level because he can't defend. Who do they think he's going to be guarding? You don't play Duke or Kentucky every night. If the kid is an elite shooter, he can play P6 ball. Period.

Reactions: Drew1208
Plus their Ad didn't miss a beat after realizing Buzz was leaving. Identified their coach and got it done.

Tech has versatile players who can all shoot. What makes them special in my opinion is Aluma and Mutts. These guys are quick enough to drive slower players, yet skilled enough to go into the post and score against bigger defenders. They can also pull bigs away from the basket and hit threes. They are tremendous passers with a high basketball IQ. It really helps Techs spacing and makes the team as a whole extremely tough to defend. I have really enjoyed there ACC title run, and they are fun to watch!

Tech has versatile players who can all shoot. What makes them special in my opinion is Aluma and Mutts. These guys are quick enough to drive slower players, yet skilled enough to go into the post and score against bigger defenders. They can also pull bigs away from the basket and hit threes. They are tremendous passers with a high basketball IQ. It really helps Techs spacing and makes the team as a whole extremely tough to defend.
Agree both really know how to play. 2 legit playmakers from the 4/5 spots.

Tech has versatile players who can all shoot. What makes them special in my opinion is Aluma and Mutts. These guys are quick enough to drive slower players, yet skilled enough to go into the post and score against bigger defenders. They can also pull bigs away from the basket and hit threes. They are tremendous passers with a high basketball IQ. It really helps Techs spacing and makes the team as a whole extremely tough to defend.
VT had a bad record when we played them but I said back then they were the best team we played and 2nd best team in the ACC. I was right. This is a team that could mess around and end up in the Elite 8. Not that I'm predicting that but when they're hitting, they are as good as anyone

Aluma - No Stars
Mutts - #372

Kudos to Mike Young and his staff. Great job in identifying and developing kids.

YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT 3s!!!!!!!!

I dont understand why some basketball coaches still don't understand this. Nobody plays defense anymore so this fear that the "unathletic kid" isnt going to be able to defend is irrelevant. The game is a 3 point shooting contest. That's what it's become. When evaluating these kids, too much emphasis is placed on athleticism, handle, creating....when that stuff doesn't always translate. I'm sure Femi looked great in AAU but he cant shoot. Would you rather have him or Hunter Catoor? Or that Roche kid from The Citadel. You have to be able to make 3s.

I have said there's got to be a shooting test/drill where you can evaluate just how good a kid can shoot it.
but these 2 guys can also play d. It doesn't always take great athletic ability to play good d. footwork and instincts.

Reactions: TD_6082
Tech is easy to root for, well coached, smart high IQ players. And it’s very nice to see K take the L in his final ACC game.

I don't understand the K/Cal need to have an All-Frosh team every year. This is how I'd select

2 1 and dones

#35 player (3 year guy)

#50 player (maybe 4 year guy)

#75 guy (maybe 4 year guy)

That way you always have a lineup of 2 frosh studs and 3 upperclassmen

Watch how they run their sets and the timing of screens. Watch how open these guys get. The attention to detail is something that I’ve dreamed of for six years and haven’t seen.
These dudes couldn't be more different than Pitt dudes when it comes to beating the press or a double team

Reactions: 4upmc
VT had a bad record when we played them but I said back then they were the best team we played and 2nd best team in the ACC. I was right. This is a team that could mess around and end up in the Elite 8. Not that I'm predicting that but when they're hitting, they are as good as anyone
The team is extremely dangerous. They have everything you need to make a good run in the dance. I think only an ice cold shooting night will keep them from getting to the sweet 16. They will be a tough out.

Reactions: Chairman Moe
It's like every few posts you feel the need to remind everyone that you really have no idea what you are talking about.
No Kidding!! Just heard one of the guys on game day this morning saying that the teams that go far in the tournaments are those that can make opponents uncomfortable with good D. So yes, good teams play good D. It's insane to say otherwise.

No Kidding!! Just heard one of the guys on game day this morning saying that the teams that go far in the tournaments are those that can make opponents uncomfortable with good D. So yes, good teams play good D. It's insane to say otherwise.
They are talking about team defense. The notion that an elite shooter is going to give up 20 every night guarding the other team's worst perimeter player is absurd. A good team, a well coached team, a team that plays great help defense can help minimize a single player's defensive deficiency.

You simply have to be able to shoot the ball. If your team cant shoot, you have no chance.

Only Catoor & Murphy are good athletes and they can defend. Those guys aren't Kody Stattmann. They are good all around solid players with a high basketball IQ.

Figured they get zero star turned all everything and we have top 100 Gerald Drumgroole and Will Jeffress who can’t get on the floor and who shouldn’t be on the floor

Reactions: pittizit
Recruiting guys who know how to play basketball. It's really that simple. Instead of trying to mold an athlete
I think this is it. Even back during Dixon II and up to now, we are recruiting too many athletes who we hope can develop into basketball players. You can maybe take 1 or 2 of those guys but we conistently have 6'5 wing players who suck at basketball.

Reactions: Drew1208
I think this is it. Even back during Dixon II and up to now, we are recruiting too many athletes who we hope can develop into basketball players. You can maybe take 1 or 2 of those guys but we conistently have 6'5 wing players who suck at basketball.
I watch these kids at smaller schools that are going far.
It's just they know how to play and can ****ing shoot.

They are talking about team defense. The notion that an elite shooter is going to give up 20 every night guarding the other team's worst perimeter player is absurd. A good team, a well coached team, a team that plays great help defense can help minimize a single player's defensive deficiency.

You simply have to be able to shoot the ball. If your team cant shoot, you have no chance.
Team defense is composed of all of the players individually playing defense. If nobody plays defense, how can they play good team defense?

Team defense is composed of all of the players individually playing defense. If nobody plays defense, how can they play good team defense?
Exactly.

Sometimes all it takes is one really weak defender that causes everything to start to breakdown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT