ADVERTISEMENT

Wahab to G’Town

h6ACD7D26

Like I said earlier,if Pitt brings anyone in this class they will probably be graduate transfers,and got at it in 2020,they don’t lead for anyone that’s remaining in this class

Bummer. He looks like a good one and he would have helped us immediately. I just don't get walking into a log-jam at the Center position. I've seen it in the NBA - there are really few 6'10" guys who can play with another guy just like that at the same time. One of them just won't have the skillset to play that far from the basket. But congrats and best wishes to him.

Reactions: ronturner
This kid decided to be sit the bench behind Omer Yurtseven on a team with 2 other Centers in his own class rather than play 30 MPG here at Pitt.

Samuels
Akok
Cockburn
Lawrence
Wahab
Coulibaly (going to Tulane apparently)
Chase Johnson

Capel cant get anybody to play Center for him. Guys, there are some red flags whether you want to admit it or not. Lets be real here.

When you write all the names it becomes apparent this isn't a no big deal situation

Reactions: lilspainishflea
This kid decided to be sit the bench behind Omer Yurtseven on a team with 2 other Centers in his own class rather than play 30 MPG here at Pitt.

Samuels
Akok
Cockburn
Lawrence
Wahab
Chase Johnson

Capel cant get anybody to play Center for him. Guys, there are some red flags whether you want to admit it or not. Lets be real here.
I was thinking the same thing! Something up over in Oakland.... maybe they don’t think Capel going to be there that long.

Samuels
Akok
Cockburn
Lawrence
Wahab
Chase Johnson

Let’s see - Howland, Dixon, Stallings, and now Capel all struggled to win recruiting battles. The red flag is PITT. It is difficult to recruit here. It just shows how stupid this fanbase was for getting angry with Dixon even though he won 25 games a year on average.

Capel has been playing catch up in nearly all recruits, which take years to establish. He will secure re-classifications and grad transfers for this year. He got talent to come to an 0-19 team and will do the same this year. After April, then scream the sky is falling. Maybe these kids did not want to go to the ACC. Maybe they want to play against lesser competition to look better. Saying it is "PITT" shows recruits that the fan base has a loser mentality and doesn't even appreciate what we have to offer. PITT is and will always have IT! H2P!!! Brown is a stud and next up. Go high or go home.

Like I said before, nothing has been set in concrete yet. He hasn't signed his LOI so his "commitment" is irrelevant and meaningless. But it is beginning to be a bit concerning that Capel has yet to close on even 1 recruit for next year, let alone a highly-rated recruit. He needs to have time to clean up the mess that Stallings left behind, that's for sure. And he was able to pull in Trey and X last year. So he can do it. But nothing to show so far this year is not good.

Reactions: gary2
Let’s see - Howland, Dixon, Stallings, and now Capel all struggled to win recruiting battles. The red flag is PITT. It is difficult to recruit here. It just shows how stupid this fanbase was for getting angry with Dixon even though he won 25 games a year on average.
This isnt really fair. Howland won the Big East and went to the Sweet 16 in his third year. And I know everyone is antsy, but Capel hasnt even been here 1 full year. He was hired around March 30th last year. And Pitt was coming off the worst season in acc history last year. Id also throw in Capel landed two 4 star last year and neither one of them was Xavier Johnson. Just my thought, but I think slater maybe is trolling Pitt and maybe Corey Evans with Wahab, maybe. Lets see if Slater changes that Coulibaly pick at the last hour from Tulane. I bet he does.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Capel has been playing catch up in nearly all recruits, which take years to establish. He will secure re-classifications and grad transfers for this year. He got talent to come to an 0-19 team and will do the same this year. After April, then scream the sky is falling. Maybe these kids did not want to go to the ACC. Maybe they want to play against lesser competition to look better. Saying it is "PITT" shows recruits that the fan base has a loser mentality and doesn't even appreciate what we have to offer. PITT is and will always have IT! H2P!!! Brown is a stud and next up. Go high or go home.
If Pitt wants to land big-time recruits, then they have 2 options. 1) Provide elite facilities for the players. Dorms, Practice Facilities, etc. and/or 2) Play the $ame Recruiting Game the Big Boys Play

Capel has been playing catch up in nearly all recruits, which takes years.
I like Capel but let’s stop making excuses for him. Chris Mack was hired at the same time he was and they have one of the top recruiting classes in the country coming in next year.

I like Capel but let’s stop making excuses for him. Chris Mack was hired at the same time he was and they have one of the top recruiting classes in the country coming in next year.

Agree to some extent but this isn’t exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Louisville has elite facilities and play$ the recruiting game. Pitt would rather keep company with the Boston College’s of the world.

That's an excuse. What's the problem with recruiting players to Pitt? Conference? No. Academics? No. Facilities? No. Urban setting? In most cases, no. If coaches can recruit quality players to Morgantown, Starkville, MS, or Blacksburg, VA, they surely can recruit them to Pittsburgh.

It seems that we aren't doing what successful programs do to recruit top players. You can debate all you want whether that's right or wrong, but the proof is in the results.

Reactions: gary2
The only thing I can add is it is demoralizing as hell when you know your program is heading in the right direction and you can get into the top 5 or in this case, the top 2, and yet can't win the battle. It just brings you back to past failures and makes you wonder if things will ever change considering we have a recruiter who is universally lauded in that area. I am not sure we are going to make a competitive team by convincing kids to reclassify every year.

Anyway, onto the next guy. One thing is clear tho, Vader and others are blowing alot of smoke up our rear end. I am tired of getting my hopes up, I will Believe we have a recruit interested when we finally get a signed LOI.

A highly rated center prospect chooses to play for Patrick Ewing. There's nothing weird about that. Omer Yurtseven isn't much of a factor, he'll be there for one year and then he'll go pro (he has 2 years of eligibility, but I'd be astonished if he uses them both). Wahab might be making a mistake - it's entirely possible that coming to Pitt, getting a lot of PT as a freshman and having the opportunity to learn from Tim O'Toole would do more for his game, but Patrick Ewing is Patrick Ewing. It sucks, it's a bummer, but the sky is not falling.

A highly rated center prospect chooses to play for Patrick Ewing. There's nothing weird about that. Omer Yurtseven isn't much of a factor, he'll be there for one year and then he'll go pro (he has 2 years of eligibility, but I'd be astonished if he uses them both). Wahab might be making a mistake - it's entirely possible that coming to Pitt, getting a lot of PT as a freshman and having the opportunity to learn from Tim O'Toole would do more for his game, but Patrick Ewing is Patrick Ewing. It sucks, it's a bummer, but the sky is not falling.

I agree, though I'm still somewhat skeptical of how successful Ewing will be there in the long term. Hopefully he will do well, was one of my favorite players as a kid.

No one needs to make excuses for Capel. You can't judge a recruiting class until its assembled.

Even with knowing he's not getting a flood of recruits right away and this is going to be a multi year thing, still bummed he didn't get one of three big guys so far. My gut and what seen so far still says he can coach, he has a plan and is all in here.

At this point in time the red flags are being uncurled , but until the fat lady sings let’s not give up !

These recruits have been pursued by these schools for several yrs and no one JC is trying to recruit to Pitt is a Duke level guy so he has no prior relationship with these kids .

Pitt just isn’t in the conversation right now and comparing them to Louisville is like comparing Pitt Fb to PSU or OSU programs . Pitt hasn’t been a high quality championship team for almost 8 yrs now . All these kids know is that Pitt bb has been very average at best an horrible as it was the last 2 yrs over half of their lifetime. It’s kind of ironic that JDs last 5 yrs sure looks good right now !

2020 is the real make it or break it yr ...there’s no excuses in 2020 .

Next yr Pitt needs 2 grad transfers in the post and a shooting guard more than they need a decent high school center . The program needs to improve and bringing in the type freshman big men that are left might not be the answer .

Dixon was a colossal failure his last 2 years and choke in the 3rd year prior to his exodus!

Reactions: dirge999
No...colossal failure is what occurred under Stallings. Dixon made 2 NCAA’s and an NIT during his 3 years in the ACC. We would be thrilled with that right now.
That wouldn't have continued with him much longer either. The recruiting was getting worse each year.

Football is that way too.

It shouldn't be. Why is it?

One thing that gives me hope is that Capel doesn't appear to be reaching or settling he is shooting for quality. If we had 2 commitments from borderline ACC players people would be questioning that. I say let's wait and see. Same thing was happening last spring with people complaining about lack of football recruits. We will be fine we're in good hands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT