ADVERTISEMENT

Wayne Williams?

Gorachee

Walk-on
Feb 4, 2015
I saw an obituary in the paper for a Wayne Williams 61 from Schenley Heights. That would be the approximate age of Wayne Williams, the point guard from Schenley. I just wondered if anyone knew if they are one and the same. I always liked Wayne "The Rat" Williams.

I saw an obituary in the paper for a Wayne Williams 61 from Schenley Heights. That would be the approximate age of Wayne Williams, the point guard from Schenley. I just wondered if anyone knew if they are one and the same. I always liked Wayne "The Rat" Williams.
He played from 75-79.

Gorachee, Thank you for posting this as I may have missed it otherwise.
Wayne was 1 of my fav. Pitt athletes. He was not a natural PG by any stretch but learned to play the position as best he could for the benefit of the team. He was a tenacious defender who made it a art w/ the way he pulled, bumped, grabbed shorts, jersey's whatever he could to knock a offensive player off his game. Wayne played ball much taller than his size as his arm reach was crazy long(that of a 7 footer). Longer that both Ed Schurmann 6'11 & Kelvin Smith 7 footer who both were on a Pitt roster at the time.
Wayne would guard the other teams best offensive player often times guarding a forward regardless which forward, at the time. Wayne was the first one on the floor for a loose ball as he did whatever it took.
Wayne was a constant round the Field House long after his playing days were over & I was very pleased to be able to call him a friend as I often played ball w/ him on campus while I was a student.
Also it was because of the asshole Paul Evans that he got scapegoated & kicked off of campus for supposedly some kind of agent scandal, associating w/ active NCAA players, etc. That was the kind of shit that Evans did to past Pitt players that led to guys like Charles Smith, Sean Miller, etc. from not embracing their university in the way that many of them would have hoped to have w/ Pitt.
In any case it was a damn shame that Wayne . who grew up in the shadows of the University & Fitzgerald Field House was barred from a place that he loved & gave his blood, sweat & tears as a student athlete.
So sad to hear of his death. I would like to have all Lair members take a moment to look this man up as he was the best of what leaving it all out on the floor, field, court, mat meant. Wayne (Rat) Williams R.I.P. my friend.

H2 PITT & Wayne Williams

Gorachee, Thank you for posting this as I may have missed it otherwise.
Wayne was 1 of my fav. Pitt athletes. He was not a natural PG by any stretch but learned to play the position as best he could for the benefit of the team. He was a tenacious defender who made it a art w/ the way he pulled, bumped, grabbed shorts, jersey's whatever he could to knock a offensive player off his game. Wayne played ball much taller than his size as his arm reach was crazy long(that of a 7 footer). Longer that both Ed Schurmann 6'11 & Kelvin Smith 7 footer who both were on a Pitt roster at the time.
Wayne would guard the other teams best offensive player often times guarding a forward regardless which forward, at the time. Wayne was the first one on the floor for a loose ball as he did whatever it took.
Wayne was a constant round the Field House long after his playing days were over & I was very pleased to be able to call him a friend as I often played ball w/ him on campus while I was a student.
Also it was because of the asshole Paul Evans that he got scapegoated & kicked off of campus for supposedly some kind of agent scandal, associating w/ active NCAA players, etc. That was the kind of shit that Evans did to past Pitt players that led to guys like Charles Smith, Sean Miller, etc. from not embracing their university in the way that many of them would have hoped to have w/ Pitt.
In any case it was a damn shame that Wayne . who grew up in the shadows of the University & Fitzgerald Field House was barred from a place that he loved & gave his blood, sweat & tears as a student athlete.
So sad to hear of his death. I would like to have all Lair members take a moment to look this man up as he was the best of what leaving it all out on the floor, field, court, mat meant. Wayne (Rat) Williams R.I.P. my friend.

H2 PITT & Wayne Williams
Great post. I really liked Wayne as well. Great defender.

Great post. I really liked Wayne as well. Great defender.
The obituary did not say anything about him playing so I am not positive it is the same person. I did not know that about Evans barring him. I always liked him. I remember him as a great defensive player, too.

Wait, this is not the guy who used to have a top 20 players in the WPIAL. And would misspell every other word. Unintentionally. And the same guy who liked his women, like really young? That guy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT