ADVERTISEMENT

We Good

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I know its 4 games vs 4 mid-major/low-majors but we've all been watching college basketball/Pitt basketball long enough to know what we're watching. Besides your blue bloodish types, this Pitt team is about as complete as you can be:

PG - NBA guy next year

SG - People were offended when I said Leggett wasnt Burton like it was some sort of insult. That's a high standard. However, he's shown he's Burton-ish. Can shoot ok (not great, kinda like Burton), and can create his own getting into the lane and finishing, like Burton. I thought Leggett would be good, but he's better than I thought

SF - Austin/Jeffress - D and Rebound - they know their role ane are happy with it. Would like to get more offense here but we arent Kansas

PF - Hinson - elite shooter/scorer that every good team needs

C - Fede/GDG - great post D, rebounding, and can give you some offense

Bench
Jorge and Lowe are ACC-level bench guys who give you different things

Not going to predict the Sweet 16 because anything can happen in a random tournament but this is a Sweet 16-level team. Barring injuries or suspensions, this team has a chance to be really good and be playing as a Top 4 seed at PPG Paints. However, if that's the stretch goal, they need to win these next 3. Then we will know we may have something special.

I know its 4 games vs 4 mid-major/low-majors but we've all been watching college basketball/Pitt basketball long enough to know what we're watching. Besides your blue bloodish types, this Pitt team is about as complete as you can be:

PG - NBA guy next year

SG - People were offended when I said Leggett wasnt Burton like it was some sort of insult. That's a high standard. However, he's shown he's Burton-ish. Can shoot ok (not great, kinda like Burton), and can create his own getting into the lane and finishing, like Burton. I thought Leggett would be good, but he's better than I thought

SF - Austin/Jeffress - D and Rebound - they know their role ane are happy with it. Would like to get more offense here but we arent Kansas

Bench

Not going to predict the Sweet 16 because anything can happen in a random tournament but this is a Sweet 16-level team. Barring injuries or suspensions, this team has a chance to be really good and be playing as a Top 4 seed at PPG Paints. However, if that's the stretch goal, they need to win these next 3. Then we will know we may have something special.
Top 4 NCAA seed would mean a top 4 ACC team and while I think it’s possible, it’s way too early for that.

So albeit versus poor competition versus good competition but this is how the magnificent 6/7 stack up from this year versus last. Key takeaways:

1) As not as good as Austin has been offensively, compared to Nike, he is pretty similar through 4 games

2) Bub is basically producing Elliott and Cummings combined

3) Blake is Blake

4) Ishmael is Burton

5) GDG is vastly improved

6) Fede less productive versus worse teams offensively but more rebounds

7) This does not include Will, Lowe, and JDG who will be solid contributors.

Blake 2023 24 minutes per game

25/56 .464 13/33 .393 17/24 .708 20.5

Blake 2022

22/47 .468. 9/27. .333 10/12 .833 Blake 22

Austin 2023

9/25 ..36. 2/13 .153 2/6 .33 5.5 ppg

Nike 2022

2/14 .142 2/8 .25 0/1.000 1.5 ppg

Leggett 2023 27.8 minutes

20-44 .455 4/10 .40 16-19 .842. 15ppg

Burton 2022 30.5 minutes

20/38 .526 2/8 .25 12/16 .75 13.5 ppg

Carrington 2023 30.5 minutes

23-42 .548 14/27 .519 12/15 .80 6.25A 18ppg

Cummings 2022

12/32 .376 2/13 .153. 5/5 .100 7.75

Elliott 2022

12/33 .363 8/24 .333 8/10 .80 10 ppg

GDG 2023 18 mpg

15-24 .625 4/9 .444 8/13 .615 10.5 ppg

GDG 2022 12.5 mpg

3/9 .333 0/3 .000 6/11 .545 3 ppg

Fede 2023 23.4 mpg

13/21 .66 3/12 .25 7.3 ppg 8R

Fede 2022 20.75 mpg

9/10 .90 3/7 FT .43 5.25 Ppg 4r

I think we need to see more physicality out of the twins (AND/OR) keep Fede out of foul trouble to be that top 4 seed type team.

I think that’s one of the reasons that we didn’t keep opening up the lead against FGCU.

Don’t get me wrong - I think the FLOOR is NCAAs either way. I’m thinking the next level type stuff.

Top 4 NCAA seed would mean a top 4 ACC team and while I think it’s possible, it’s way too early for that.

Not predicting it but saying its possible. Comes down to beating the Florida's and Baylor's and not stubbing your toe.

PG - NBA guy next year

Bench

Leggett is a better 3 ball shooter than JB, but maybe not the mid range. Better defensively, and finishes through contact about the same.

I love JB. Leggett is a great replacement.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I think we need to see more physicality out of the twins (AND/OR) keep Fede out of foul trouble to be that top 4 seed type team.

I think that’s one of the reasons that we didn’t keep opening up the lead against FGCU.

Don’t get me wrong - I think the FLOOR is NCAAs either way. I’m thinking the next level type stuff.
Lol. They missed 14 FT and were physical. They also shot 29 percent from three. They will lose games they should win, but there were many reasons aside from bigs that that game was close.

Lol. They missed 14 FT and were physical. They also shot 29 percent from three. They will lose games they should win, but there were many reasons aside from bigs that that game was close.

Free throws were part of it from a raw score standpoint. But I also sat about 50 ft from the twins getting pushed around. It was a huge difference when Fede was in. That was my point

Leggett is a better 3 ball shooter than JB, but maybe not the mid range. Better defensively, and finishes through contact about the same.

I love JB. Leggett is a great replacement.
Agree with this. Though they are not the same player obviously, Capel did a great job in the portal essentially replacing Jamarius with Ish. Ish is strong and quick, and can get to the bucket. What is nice is this team has many scoring options, and it is going to take tight games like what are coming up to find out who we go to when the going gets tough. Hinson is likely the first option, but, I would expect Ish and Bub to be right there as well. I really am stoked to see how we perform and play team basketball against some good competition. What I like alot is that we are becoming more athletic each year under Capel, we are now getting guys from the portal and some elite high school kids who flourish in this up tempo style. Man I wish that Florida game was tonight!!

Agree with this. Though they are not the same player obviously, Capel did a great job in the portal essentially replacing Jamarius with Ish. Ish is strong and quick, and can get to the bucket. What is nice is this team has many scoring options, and it is going to take tight games like what are coming up to find out who we go to when the going gets tough. Hinson is likely the first option, but, I would expect Ish and Bub to be right there as well. I really am stoked to see how we perform and play team basketball against some good competition. What I like alot is that we are becoming more athletic each year under Capel, we are now getting guys from the portal and some elite high school kids who flourish in this up tempo style. Man I wish that Florida game was tonight!!
This is great, huh!!!

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I'd sign up for a win vs. Florida and a close loss to Baylor. This teams BEST BBALL is ahead of them!!!

Yea, I said Ish wasnt Burton but he may not be terribly far off. Their game styles are similar in that they are big strong guards with a "2 point game." The difference is that Burton had to score for us last year. Ish doesn't need to replace all those points himself with Carrington.

PG - NBA guy next year

Bench

PG - NBA guy next year

Bench

You may THINK you know what you're watching in November, but you really don't. You may have some ideas, but you really can't say you know.

What did you see last November?

PG - NBA guy next year

Bench

Still want to see guards and backup 5 under ACC pressure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT