ADVERTISEMENT

We Offered a Steel Valley MAC Commit

Steel Valley has 2 studs. Brookins and Smith. I hope they offer both. 2 very good players.

Yeah, just like Terrish Webb, Kevin Weatherspoon, Brandon Ford, Arthur Doakes, Grant Carrigan, Jevonte Pitts, Zach Challingsworth, Mike Caprara, Rori Blair, Noah Palmer, etc. Fans have seen these guys play IN REAL LIFE, and they're all studs.

Then, when we hire a new coach in five years, those same fans will throw Narduzzi under the bus for recruiting local reaches just as they do now for coaches in Pitt's past. but the new guy doesn't do that. His reaches are much more calculated. It's as predictable as the sun coming up.

The 2/10ths guy he pays to train him had nice things to say about him? Well, hell... we should have offered sooner. I wonder if he thinks any of the other guys who pay him for training are good, too. We have plenty of spots open.

The 2/10ths guy he pays to train him had nice things to say about him? Well, hell... we should have offered sooner. I wonder if he thinks any of the other guys who pay him for training are good, too. We have plenty of spots open.
He’s trained a lot of guys who went on to play D1 and then the pros. We actually should have listened to him regarding Skyy Moore.

You see him as a CB or S? The teammate OL correct…what’s his game like?
He's got upside at both positions. I like his IQ as a player. Plus - hes a winner!

The OL Smith, game is similar to Charles Spencer. Reminds me of the pcc kid who went to PSU and never reached his potential. He was originally from shaler I think. He had a real mean streak. Borderline dirty.

Smith's size and mobility are elite.

He's got upside at both positions. I like his IQ as a player. Plus - hes a winner!

The OL Smith, game is similar to Charles Spencer. Reminds me of the pcc kid who went to PSU and never reached his potential. He was originally from shaler I think. He had a real mean streak. Borderline dirty.

Smith's size and mobility are elite.
Thanks, just watched his film…no doubt he has talent.

If Smith is anything close to Charles Spencer sign me up.

Reactions: USN_Panther
He doesn't pay to be trained at 2/10ths.
True and he doesn’t have a clause how these trainers work and make $. I know a major BB trainer who has never charged any talented young player $ as most don’t come from $ and training them builds his brand. He trains pros as well. His $ are made by camps, clinics and mainly training rich kids whose parents think their kid can actually be a star. They have unlimited $ to spend and will do it for little Johnny

He's raw but you can't teach what comes naturally to him

Word on the street is if Pitt would have offered him early in the process, he'd have 20 power 5 offers.

Makes me think they might extend one to him very soon.
I was talking to a well respected coach and he was shocked that Smith wasn’t going to a bigger school. I told him he was going to Miami OH and his response was “he’s got to be going somewhere bigger.” You and I are in complete agreement on him.

I was talking to a well respected coach and he was shocked that Smith wasn’t going to a bigger school. I told him he was going to Miami OH and his response was “he’s got to be going somewhere bigger.” You and I are in complete agreement on him.
You think Pitt will offer Smith soon?

Do you have any idea how inaccurate that is or how silly it sounds? "The Street" sounds like a bunch of old guys who would have made it to the NFL if only it weren't for twisting their ankles in high school football.

Do you have any idea how dumb you sound when you say Cruce is getting hype from his trainer because he pays him? When in fact, Cruce doesn't pay a dime?

It is well known that college recruiting is a lazy business. Most schools don't offer unless until the big school in your area does. In our area, PITT is the gateway school that will sound off alarms to the rest of the ACC and 90% of the B10 that we need to start recruiting this kid.

"the word on the street" comment was used to illustrate among some area HS's and Colleges, this conversation has come up multiple times and most are shocked that his recruiting has completely taken off. I saw the same thing happen with Christian Barmore out of Philly a few years ago.

But, please tell me how "inaccurate" this is?

Do you have any idea how dumb you sound when you say Cruce is getting hype from his trainer because he pays him? When in fact, Cruce doesn't pay a dime?

It is well known that college recruiting is a lazy business. Most schools don't offer unless until the big school in your area does. In our area, PITT is the gateway school that will sound off alarms to the rest of the ACC and 90% of the B10 that we need to start recruiting this kid.

"the word on the street" comment was used to illustrate among some area HS's and Colleges, this conversation has come up multiple times and most are shocked that his recruiting has completely taken off. I saw the same thing happen with Christian Barmore out of Philly a few years ago.

But, please tell me how "inaccurate" this is?

My point wasn't that he's getting paid to say that. It was the fact that he works closely with him. Of course he's going to talk him up. Wanna bet he's talked up some other guys he's worked with over the years, too? And wanna bet some of them didn't even succeed in the G5 for FCS.

What's he going to say about a dude he's training? "Well, he works hard, but I have to be honest: He's not very good at football."

You're referencing a few examples out of thousands. Fans do this all the time. "Such and such was a 2-star who got drafted!" That absolutely happens. But the percentages are so fractionally low that it's just silly.

Also, maybe recruiting used to be lazy. But these guys have more tape/staff at their disposal than every before. To act like all it takes is a Pitt offer for 20 other P5 schools to scavenge... I mean, come on. This dude has been evaluated by hundreds of P5 staff members. I guarantee it.

My point wasn't that he's getting paid to say that. It was the fact that he works closely with him. Of course he's going to talk him up. Wanna bet he's talked up some other guys he's worked with over the years, too? And wanna bet some of them didn't even succeed in the G5 for FCS.

What's he going to say about a dude he's training? "Well, he works hard, but I have to be honest: He's not very good at football."

You're referencing a few examples out of thousands. Fans do this all the time. "Such and such was a 2-star who got drafted!" That absolutely happens. But the percentages are so fractionally low that it's just silly.

Also, maybe recruiting used to be lazy. But these guys have more tape/staff at their disposal than every before. To act like all it takes is a Pitt offer for 20 other P5 schools to scavenge... I mean, come on. This dude has been evaluated by hundreds of P5 staff members. I guarantee it.

You can believe what you want. I'll go by what my experiences in dealing with college coaches over the past 20 years.

If this trainer wants to keep his credibility with college coaches, then he won't talk up undeserving players. Because when he loses that credibility his credibility with recruits will soon follow and his client base will go away.

If this trainer wants to keep his credibility with college coaches, then he won't talk up undeserving players. Because when he loses that credibility his credibility with recruits will soon follow and his client base will go away.
See this is what they don't know...

The dude has at least 400+ clients.

Terry Smith isn't keeping him on speed dial because they both like to discuss politics and modern art. Terry goes through him to find talent. And, Terry isn't alone. When college coaches are advocating for your kids to get trained and get exposure through 2/10ths, I'd say his word is pretty important in those circles.

His $ are made by camps, clinics and mainly training rich kids whose parents think their kid can actually be a star. They have unlimited $ to spend and will do it for little Johnny
Yes, and there are a ton of these twits to be had !

Do you have any idea how inaccurate that is or how silly it sounds? "The Street" sounds like a bunch of old guys who would have made it to the NFL if only it weren't for twisting their ankles in high school football.
Did you ever consider that there are people on this board who are coaches that have been part of the recruiting process?

Did you ever consider that there are people on this board who are coaches that have been part of the recruiting process?

Dude, you cited like 3-4 "underrated" locals who Pitt should offer. Why? Because you saw them play and/or know of them. You'd be saying the same thing about a handful of Florida kids who are going to end up at Florida Atlantic if you lived down there. Just like the thread about Olsen last week. Just like we should have offered Zane Dudek. It never ends.

And the same people who like to play pseudo recruiting insiders on who we should offer are the ones who throw Paul Chryst under the bus for doing just that - offering too many locals who had no business playing P5 football.

Dude, you cited like 3-4 "underrated" locals who Pitt should offer. Why? Because you saw them play and/or know of them. You'd be saying the same thing about a handful of Florida kids who are going to end up at Florida Atlantic if you lived down there. Just like the thread about Olsen last week. Just like we should have offered Zane Dudek. It never ends.

And the same people who like to play pseudo recruiting insiders on who we should offer are the ones who throw Paul Chryst under the bus for doing just that - offering too many locals who had no business playing P5 football.
I never said we should offer Olsen. You are just making things up now.

I comment on local players that I have seen play live. There’s actually a current incoming recruit who I said is 2-3 years away at the earliest and I view as a reach.

Last edited:
I never said we should offer Olsen. You are just making things up now.

I comment on local players that I have seen play live. There’s actually a current incoming recruit who I said is 2-3 years away at the earliest and I view as a reach.

I didn't mean you specifically said we should offer Olsen; that part was a generalization of Pitt fans who get enamored with the locals. But the thread is there in plain sight. Clearly some did.

This board does the same song and dance with every local who isn't a blue chip. They naturally get hyped more than a similar guy from Maryland would get hyped because someone on the board knows them, or knows someone who knows them. The hit rate for these guys is no different than it is for the low 3 stars we pull from anywhere, but they will generate 10 times as much board discussion until 75 percent of them wind up transferring to Akron by year 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT