ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend Bubble Game Thread

Good start for Pitt. Rutgers (or Miss St) isn’t going to lose by as much as we want, but they avoid the big win. Florida Atlantic survives and get a chance to eliminate (along with Oregon) one of the 2 main bid stealers.

Pitt wanted 7 teams to lose today and one team to win: FAU win, and Rutgers, Mississippi St, Clemson, Vandy, Penn St (only to keep the NW win up there) Oregon and Arizona St.

I doubt we will go 8 for 8, but a 3 for 3 start is as good as you can do.

Great ending for Bama. Uo 14 with like 4 minutes, win by 23. Miss St NET will probably only drop 5-6 though since Bama is highly rated.

Good start for Pitt. Rutgers (or Miss St) isn’t going to lose by as much as we want, but they avoid the big win. Florida Atlantic survives and get a chance to eliminate (along with Oregon) one of the 2 main bid stealers.

Pitt wanted 7 teams to lose today and one team to win: FAU win, and Rutgers, Mississippi St, Clemson, Vandy, Penn St (only to keep the NW win up there) Oregon and Arizona St.

I doubt we will go 8 for 8, but a 3 for 3 start is as good as you can do.
I think all 8 have a pretty good shot of happening. Keep an eye as well on San Jose State and Ohio State as well don’t want either of them winning either and getting to Saturday and increasing their chances of being a bid stealer. A Utah State loss would be helpful as well to Boise.

Ohio State moves on. If they beat Purdue tomorrow then we can start to worry some especially seeing they play at 330 on Sunday 2 in a half hours before the selection show so the committee will be sitting there waiting to remove one team for Ohio State if they win the Big Ten Tournament just minutes before the brackets are revealed. Let’s hope it doesn’t get to that point and Purdue knocks them out tomorrow.

Ohio State moves on. If they beat Purdue tomorrow then we can start to worry some especially seeing they play at 330 on Sunday 2 in a half hours before the selection show so the committee will be sitting there waiting to remove one team for Ohio State if they win the Big Ten Tournament just minutes before the brackets are revealed. Let’s hope it doesn’t get to that point and Purdue knocks them out tomorrow.

Not super worried about OSU. They'd have to win 5 in 5 including a 1 seed tomorrow

And I would bet almost anything they would knock Rutgers out.

The tournament will have a Big 10 team in a spot(probably a non-Dayton 11), and Ohio St will just take that spot.
Nobody is better than rehabilitating their teams than the BIG. Meanwhile the ACC eats their own.

UAB beats North Texas so need to root for UAB to lose tomorrow to Florida Atlantic in the C-USA championship game. They are closest thing we have seen so far the last few days of a potential bid stealer as they are just 1 win away.

Clemson deserves to be in. They are better than half the Big 10 teams that are projected into the field. The ACC deserves 6 bids.
They mentioned at the beginning of the Duke-Miami game two both of these two are projected to be 5 seeds. Good grief, barring unexpected nonsense, the ACC should do damage in the tournament again. I would not want to be playing either of these teams, nor Clemson...

They mentioned at the beginning of the Duke-Miami game two both of these two are projected to be 5 seeds. Good grief, barring unexpected nonsense, the ACC should do damage in the tournament again. I would not want to be playing either of these teams, nor Clemson...
Despite our recent struggles I wouldn’t want to play us. Teams that can go off from three are the ones that tend to make runs. Back to back games making 45% of your threes can put you in the sweet 16 really fast no matter who you play

Miami and Duke are 2 seeds with 5 NETs

Reactions: SteelBowl70
The Big Ten is the college basketball equivalent of the high school team that just putters around the perimeter for two minutes because there isn’t a shot clock.

They still play D in the B10 though. The ACC is really just chucking up 3s

Clemson down 12 at half San Jose State down 13 at half Vandy up 5 on Kentucky at the half, UCLA up 3 on Oregon with about 10 minutes left. So far mostly all good results for those 4 games.

Amazingly according to all the brackets and from everything I have seen and heard today is that Clemson is still not in the tournament and still below Pitt and on the outside looking in if they don’t beat Virginia tonight. And right now it’s not looking good for them down 18 points to start the 2nd half.

Virginia still up 18 on Clemson now with about 12 minutes left. Hopefully this game stays a blowout if they continue to say that Clemson is still not in the tournament. This is not a good last impression that Clemson wants to leave with both the NET and the committee when they are right on the edge of getting in the tournament. This most definitely helps Pitt out a ton I think.

UCLA eliminating Oregon. uVA looking good to help out with Clemson. Vandy staying alive beating UK. Last 2 tonight are Arizona to beat ASU and Boise to beat Utah State.

UCLA eliminating Oregon. uVA looking good to help out with Clemson. Again the ACC eats its own. Vandy staying alive beating UK.
Vandy/UK is nowhere near over.
a 7-point game with 11 minutes left is an eternity.

This Vanderbilt team has now won 10 of its last 11 SEC games, including a sweep of Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi State, a sweep of Florida and beat Auburn.

They are going to be difficult to leave out at this point the way they finished their season regardless of what the NET thinks. They also look like a team that is going to be dangerous regardless of who they play in the tournament.

Clemson loses by 20 to Virginia which is a huge blow to their tournament chances. Clemson’s NET went up 10 yesterday with their blowout win over NC State it should go back down close to 10 losing by 20 tonight. Pitt’s NET I would expect to go up at least a few spots maybe to 65 after some of the results today.

This Vanderbilt team has now won 10 of its last 11 SEC games, including a sweep of Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi State, a sweep of Florida and beat Auburn.

They are going to be difficult to leave out at this point the way they finished their season regardless of what the NET thinks. They also look like a team that is going to be dangerous regardless of who they play in the tournament.
You make some good points and even if Vandy doesn’t win the SEC Tournament you can make a strong case for them to be on that last 4 In line at this point and they have the head to head win over Pitt in early December as well.

Vandy defeats Kentucky. The announcers calling this game seem to think Vandy should be in the tournament after this win tonight. Regardless still 3 potential bid Stealers alive going into the weekend with Ohio State, UAB, and Vanderbilt and you can throw Utah State still in the mix if they beat Boise tonight assuming they are still on the edge of that last four in/first four out line.

Jerry Palm was just on inside college basketball and he definitely said Clemson is out after their blowout 20 point loss to Virginia. There just isn’t enough on their resume he said to get in over a lot of these other teams.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Jerry Palm was just on inside college basketball and he definitely said Clemson is out after their blowout 20 point loss to Virginia. There just isn’t enough on their resume he said to get in over a lot of these other teams.
I’d love to hear him defend NC state

Reactions: MTkeeper23
Yea I’m with you there. I think Clemson should be in over NC State. They blew them out by 20 plus points twice the last 2 weeks and beat them 3 times this year. As I’ve mentioned before If head to head meetings aren’t gonna count for something in the conference then don’t play the damn games.

Saturday

FAU over UAB - UAB is a 1.5 point favorite and from what I saw yesterday, they do appear to be the better team.

Purdue over OSU - dont see OSU winning 4 in 4 here

SDSU over USU - USU probably locked up a bid last night but it wouldn't hurt to root for SDSU

Texas A&M over Vandy - That Vandy win may have been the worst result of the night. They clinch with a W today but might be in already, potentially over us with the head to head.

Memphis and Houston to win

Virginia to beat Duke - just throwing this out there as a UVa win could maybe send them to the 3 line making that win over them that much more impressive to the committee

The big one is FAU. UAB has one of the better players in the country in Jelly Walker and beat FAU by 9 a few weeks ago. FAU did win by 2 earlier. FAU rally isnt that good. They only played 2 "buy games" splitting with Florida and Ole Miss so their non-con was extremely weak. They went 3-2 vs the Top 4 CUSA teams and 15-0 vs the bottom 7 with many of those games being close.

Last edited:

NC State is a mystery to me. They have 2 wins over teams that will be in the tournament. Duke and Miami at home. They also beat Vandy who may get in.

Pitt has wins over UVa, Miami, NW and then of course NC State

Clemson has wins over Duke, Pitt, PSU and then the 3 over NC State.

For me, NC State is absolutely a clear 3rd in this group. I'm not sure how you can even argue it. OK, they have 0 Q3/4 losses. But they haven't beaten anyone. Clemson's 3 wins over them and Pitt’s road win with a similar resume has to knock them out. I probably wont have NC St in my final field.

Saturday

FAU over UAB - UAB is a 1.5 point favorite and from what I saw yesterday, they do appear to be the better team.

Purdue over OSU - dont see OSU winning 4 in 4 here

SDSU over USU - USU probably locked up a bid last night but it wouldn't hurt to root for SDSU

Memphis and Houston to win

Virginia to beat Duke - just throwing this out there as a UVa win could maybe send them to the 3 line making that win over them that much more impressive to the committee

The big one is FAU. UAB has one of the better players in the country in Jelly Walker and beat FAU by 9 a few weeks ago. FAU did win by 2 earlier. FAU rally isnt that good. They only played 2 "buy games" splitting with Florida and Ole Miss so their non-con was extremely weak. They went 3-2 vs the Top 4 CUSA teams and 15-0 vs the bottom 7 with many of those games being close.
You can’t call teams that win 30 games “not that good”. That’s just dumb

NC State is a mystery to me. They have 2 wins over teams that will be in the tournament. Duke and Miami at home. They also beat Vandy who may get in.

Pitt has wins over UVa, Miami, NW and then of course NC State

Clemson has wins over Duke, Pitt, PSU and then the 3 over NC State.

For me, NC State is absolutely a clear 3rd in this group. I'm not sure how you can even argue it. OK, they have 0 Q3/4 losses. But they haven't beaten anyone. Clemson's 3 wins over them and Pitt’s road win with a similar resume has to knock them out. I probably wont have NC St in my final field.
NC State living off the PR from beating Duke by 24 early when they were struggling and then being ranked. I agree they should be out.

I think Vandy is in if they beat A&M and maybe even with a close loss.

NC State living off the PR earned by beating Duke by 24 early and being ranked. I agree they should be out but.,

I think we need to assume Vandy will make it and likely UAB and hope there’s no spoiler in the AAC or BIG. Purdue, Houston, Memphis can squash that today.

If Vandy and UAB win, we are in DEEP trouble. Not that I think Lunardi is any good but he has the whole field clinched except 2 spots. He has Pitt, ASU, and OK St with 2 of those 3 getting the final 2 spots. He doesnt even have Vandy or Clemson there. So, not that this matters, but if UAB wins and Vandy wins, we wont be in his final field.

Interestingly, Lunardi dropped NC State to 3rd to last team in. Other bracketologists are dropping them as well. Still ahead of us but when you really dive into their resume as maybe people are now, there isnt much there. Could come down to Pitt/NC St for the last spot.

Yeah ACC might only get 4 teams in with one playing in Dayton. It’s possible that two 14-6 teams with 15 total ACC wins are out. That was unthinkable in the past.
Have they ever paired 2 conference teams in Dayton?

Yeah ACC might only get 4 teams in with one playing in Dayton. It’s possible that two 14-6 teams with 15 total ACC wins are out. That was unthinkable in the past.
Have they ever paired 2 conference teams in Dayton?

I posted 4 ACC teams back in November. Might be an all-time W. Looking like a max of 5 with likelihood of 4 and even a small possibility of only getting 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT