ADVERTISEMENT

Weight Classes

New York Panther

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2007
Why isn't there a weight class (or even two) between 197 and 285? There is essentially a 10 pound difference between all of the weight classes until 197, and then a 90 pound difference to 285. It seems that someone like Pitzer could benefit from not having to wrestle in the 285 pound class.

Why isn't there a weight class (or even two) between 197 and 285? There is essentially a 10 pound difference between all of the weight classes until 197, and then a 90 pound difference to 285. It seems that someone like Pitzer could benefit from not having to wrestle in the 285 pound class.
Agree. It makes no sense.

It does seem strange, but Pitzer would likely be a HWT no matter what. He is tall and lean still at 215 so he will likely be a 240lb athletic freak at HWT once he fills out.

Someone in the recruiting thread said Pitzer walks around o the mid 190’s right now. Don’t know if that is true.

Yeah id love if they had a 215 or 225 but I think people worry about spreading the talent around since there are less guys to pool from normally

Reactions: jctrack
Yeah id love if they had a 215 or 225 but I think people worry about spreading the talent around since there are less guys to pool from normally
This, I know a lot of smart folks who think 220 would be a death blow to the already-thin ranks of 285s.

Reactions: lucac
Someone in the recruiting thread said Pitzer walks around o the mid 190’s right now. Don’t know if that is true.
No way. He is huge. He is all of that 215. He looks bigger than everyone he wrestles at 215.

If you watch the match against TJ Stewart on Flo, the announcers made it a point to say that Stewart specifically entered the tournament at 215 so that he could wrestle Pitzer. They said Stewart weighed in at 200lbs to wrestle 215. Pitzer looked much bigger in that match to me.

This, I know a lot of smart folks who think 220 would be a death blow to the already-thin ranks of 285s.
So guys in the low 200s are forced to wrestle guys much heavier for this reason? That's some strange reasoning. Another way to address this problem could be to make the heaviest weight something like 265. Then it would only be a 70 pound rather than a 90 pound difference, although this would still be a big difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos
No way. He is huge. He is all of that 215. He looks bigger than everyone he wrestles at 215.

If you watch the match against TJ Stewart on Flo, the announcers made it a point to say that Stewart specifically entered the tournament at 215 so that he could wrestle Pitzer. They said Stewart weighed in at 200lbs to wrestle 215. Pitzer looked much bigger in that match to me.
he isn't just take my word for it. i sat with his father and grandfather at the semi's have been a friend of family for ages. He will put a lot of good weight on but is sub 200's currently. Recently started working out with a serious coach to begin his strength training.

Coming from a small guy, I actually think there should be a 220 weight class or around there. If adding a weight class isn’t an option, I think moving weights up a bit should be looked at. Humans continue to get bigger and bigger through the years. Raising weight classes could also help with less drastic weight cuts. How many 125 pound wrestlers are there that aren’t dealing with tough weight cuts?

I wouldn’t mind seeing something along the lines of 130, 138, 146, 154, 162, 171, 180, 190, 215, Heavy

Reactions: 4382
Coming from a small guy, I actually think there should be a 220 weight class or around there. If adding a weight class isn’t an option, I think moving weights up a bit should be looked at. Humans continue to get bigger and bigger through the years. Raising weight classes could also help with less drastic weight cuts. How many 125 pound wrestlers are there that aren’t dealing with tough weight cuts?

I wouldn’t mind seeing something along the lines of 130, 138, 146, 154, 162, 171, 180, 190, 215, Heavy
Very interesting.

As long as 57 kg exists then an NCAA weight class of 125 or 126 will also exist.

There is not enough depth to support a 190, 215, and HWT and you will have 3 watered down divisions all to give a handful of wrestlers their own division.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT