ADVERTISEMENT

What are some of the oldest and best rivalries in the WPIAL?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
What are some of the oldest and best rivalries in the WPIAL? Growing up, Highlands and Valley was the big rivalry near me and that dated back to when they were Har-Brack and New Ken High. Now, they don't even play each other.

What are some of the oldest and best rivalries in the WPIAL? Growing up, Highlands and Valley was the big rivalry near me and that dated back to when they were Har-Brack and New Ken High. Now, they don't even play each other.
Belle Vernon vs TJ is a solid rivalry. Although it seems that TJ has the upper hand on that one.

New Castle vs. Butler used to be one of the best, now both schools are usually down, although NC has a good year here and there, Butler I'm not sure what happened, it's a big school and I think they dropped off the map, and totally out of the WPIAL? NC is now definitely a basketball school.

Belle Vernon vs TJ is a solid rivalry. Although it seems that TJ has the upper hand on that one.
For a while, it was BV and Ringgold. That was triggered by Scott Zolak's transfer and his dad speaking openly about how poor Scotty was never going to get a decent scholarship if he stayed at BV. For a long time that game was as much about inflicting pain as anything.

I think North Catholic vs Central Catholic was a big game at one time.

I went to Shaler in the 70s, we thought our big rival was North Hills. When I got married and moved to North Hills, I learned that North Hills always considered North Allegheny to be their big rival. I guess Shaler should have claimed to be Unrivaled.

New Castle vs. Butler used to be one of the best, now both schools are usually down, although NC has a good year here and there, Butler I'm not sure what happened, it's a big school and I think they dropped off the map, and totally out of the WPIAL? NC is now definitely a basketball school.
Butler is still pretty big, but graduates about half the kids they used to. Regardless, there's no reason they should be as bad as they are.

For a while, it was BV and Ringgold. That was triggered by Scott Zolak's transfer and his dad speaking openly about how poor Scotty was never going to get a decent scholarship if he stayed at BV. For a long time that game was as much about inflicting pain as anything.
At the time, I was bummed that he transferred. But in retrospect, the BV football program was not good in the mid 80's. His dad was probably right.

It all worked out - Scott's back up at BV got a chance to play D3 and Scott got a D1 offer to Maryland and eventually a sweet pro gig carrying a clipboard.

The basketball game at BV that year was pretty rough. The students were unmerciful.

He & I weren't friends, casual acquaintances at best (I didn't play football),. but he was a good guy. Ran into him at Mario's Southside in the late 90's. He remembered me and we chatted for about a half hour - more than we ever did in HS. As a broadcaster (radio color for New England), he got to enjoy a great ride, working several Super Bowls.

Was going to make this another thread but since we are on the topic of rivalries, Fayette County now has only 2 remaining WPIAL football schools: LH and Frazier. Geibel dropped football (10 years ago I think, missed the memo on that one). Uniontown, Brownsville, and AG have been playing as independents. Now, with Connellsville's move back up to 5A, spurred by the new full-counting rule of all home school, cyber school, vo-tech, etc students, they are going independent. This probably makes sense for Con, AG, and Uniontown but how bad does Brownsville have to be, as a 1A or 2A to run away from WPIAL competition? They went 1-7 this past year as an Independent, getting blown out 7 times and only beating Carrick. They can get blown out just the same in the WPIAL.

The WPIAL is probably just too big. Fayette and Greene County should be part of District 5. It would be a "narrow district" stretching from the WV line past Breezewood to McConnellsburg but they can have East/West conferences

Butler is still pretty big, but graduates about half the kids they used to. Regardless, there's no reason they should be as bad as they are.

Strangely, Butler is one of the top soccer schools. They dont fit into that suburban upper class soccer demographic so I wonder if the best athletes in that school just choose to play soccer over football.

Charleroi Monessen is the oldest

Aliquippa Ambridge probably the most famous??
Quips Bridgers for sure but kinda lopsided these days. Down that way Rochester/Monaca. Think maybe the bridge spanning the Ohio is named after the winner each year. Something like that.

Reactions: TreesHero
Quips Bridgers for sure but kinda lopsided these days. Down that way Rochester/Monaca. Think maybe the bridge spanning the Ohio is named after the winner each year. Something like that.

I forgot about Rochester. What happened to them? They used to be at Heinz every year.

Strangely, Butler is one of the top soccer schools. They dont fit into that suburban upper class soccer demographic so I wonder if the best athletes in that school just choose to play soccer over football.
Possibly yes because the football team had been bad for so long? Also the Butler school district does cover some more suburban sprawly areas like Butler Township outside the city?

I dont live up there, these are total guesses.

At the time, I was bummed that he transferred. But in retrospect, the BV football program was not good in the mid 80's. His dad was probably right.

It all worked out - Scott's back up at BV got a chance to play D3 and Scott got a D1 offer to Maryland and eventually a sweet pro gig carrying a clipboard.

The basketball game at BV that year was pretty rough. The students were unmerciful.

He & I weren't friends, casual acquaintances at best (I didn't play football),. but he was a good guy. Ran into him at Mario's Southside in the late 90's. He remembered me and we chatted for about a half hour - more than we ever did in HS. As a broadcaster (radio color for New England), he got to enjoy a great ride, working several Super Bowls.
Yeah.....there's a lot to unpack there. Like, the backup that should have played was better than the guy that did but he blew his knee out. Much better looking, too. And I played in that basketball game, LOL.

Reactions: OH Pete
Although my name is NatronaHeightsPanther, I went to Valley and played for Valley 1998-2001. We didn’t beat Highlands until 2001, but we got them at their place in the Heights. I remember being sore for a week. That Valley team had a lot of talent, Donny Booker, BJ Flenory, Justin Glenn…but Michigan commit Scott McClintok and BelleVernon got us in the playoffs.

Reactions: cbpitt2
I am a Valley grad so Valley-Burrell and Valley-Highlands were always intense.
Economically, some of these towns have been hit hard and they are a shell of what they once were. Another factor that has ruined a lot of these rivalries was the state going to 6 classifications - all to appease the schools out East.

I would say Burrell vs Valley was a bigger rivalry…😁

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I am a Valley grad so Valley-Burrell and Valley-Highlands were always intense.
Economically, some of these towns have been hit hard and they are a shell of what they once were. Another factor that has ruined a lot of these rivalries was the state going to 6 classifications - all to appease the schools out East.
I’m Burrell grad.. class of ‘88.. when were you there?

Was going to make this another thread but since we are on the topic of rivalries, Fayette County now has only 2 remaining WPIAL football schools: LH and Frazier. Geibel dropped football (10 years ago I think, missed the memo on that one). Uniontown, Brownsville, and AG have been playing as independents. Now, with Connellsville's move back up to 5A, spurred by the new full-counting rule of all home school, cyber school, vo-tech, etc students, they are going independent. This probably makes sense for Con, AG, and Uniontown but how bad does Brownsville have to be, as a 1A or 2A to run away from WPIAL competition? They went 1-7 this past year as an Independent, getting blown out 7 times and only beating Carrick. They can get blown out just the same in the WPIAL.

The WPIAL is probably just too big. Fayette and Greene County should be part of District 5. It would be a "narrow district" stretching from the WV line past Breezewood to McConnellsburg but they can have East/West conferences
Laurel Highlads and Uniontown was big until both became too small to matter. They should have combined those two school districts 50 years age.

Butler will never, ever be competitive in 6A. If the WPIAL doesn't allow the school to be relegated to 3A or 4A, hey should just kill the program. It's embarrassing.

Laurel Highlads and Uniontown was big until both became too small to matter. They should have combined those two school districts 50 years age.

The current LH school district area was part of Uniontown school district until 1965 when I am guessing they seceeded for the same reasons TJ spun off from Clairton.

Butler will never, ever be competitive in 6A. If the WPIAL doesn't allow the school to be relegated to 3A or 4A, hey should just kill the program. It's embarrassing.

I dont know why they cant just let them play 3A or 4A without being eligible for the playoffs. Same with Connellsville and others. Maybe the WPIAL should pass a rule that you can play down (if approved) but ineligible for playoffs

I dont know why they cant just let them play 3A or 4A without being eligible for the playoffs. Same with Connellsville and others. Maybe the WPIAL should pass a rule that you can play down (if approved) but ineligible for playoffs
Just like they have a success formula, the WPIAL should have a relegation formula for programs that win 0 or 1 game a year to drop down up to 2 classifications.

The problem is Greene County has been very successful in other sports both in the WPIAL and statewide.

Waynesburg Central - Wrestling/Track
West Greene - Softball/Girls BBall
Carmichaels - Girls Softball

If you're talking about just football, it probably wouldn't be the worst idea. But, there is a big imbalance in school size between just the Greene and Fayette schools. Frazier is the only 1A school in Fayette and Greene has 4. Sure, you can add Brownsville to the mix but Uniontown is 3A and Connellsville is 5A.

The problem is Greene County has been very successful in other sports both in the WPIAL and statewide.

Waynesburg Central - Wrestling/Track
West Greene - Softball/Girls BBall
Carmichaels - Girls Softball

If you're talking about just football, it probably wouldn't be the worst idea. But, there is a big imbalance in school size between just the Greene and Fayette schools. Frazier is the only 1A school in Fayette and Greene has 4. Sure, you can add Brownsville to the mix but Uniontown is 3A and Connellsville is 5A.

Greene County is probably too far west anyway. And Frazier being 1A seems to be competitive in all the sports. Plus they are right on the Fayette border, so not terribly far from possible road games. But the other Fayette schools should probably be District 5 and if Frazier and LH have to be included in that so be it. LH will get back to sucking now that their famous 74 yard for the season WR is gone.

I think you should have to play in a certain District for all the sports. The Fayette schools are more similar to the District 5 schools.

Just like they have a success formula, the WPIAL should have a relegation formula for programs that win 0 or 1 game a year to drop down up to 2 classifications.

Its a PIAA rule but that is because their main purpose is to have a fair state playoff system. The Brownsville's and Butler's aren't worried about the playoffs. The WPIAL could very very easily set up some system which allows them to play down but also makes them ineligible for the playoffs. Make them eligible for the conference championship but other teams games against them dont count for that team's playoff positioning. So 3A or 4A Butler cant knock a Highlands out of the playoff hunt. Clearly, something can be done.

Yes. I had Mr. Hawkins for health. He also was our AT through my junior year.
Yes. Roman Guzik. Can’t remember what class he taught.
I just saw Mr. Hawk with his daughter at Giant Eagle! He’s 98 and still lives off Caltalpa Ave. He said he’s hoping Rosa’s opens back up before he dies! 😂

I had Guzik for Chemistry, with his white coat..lol

Reactions: rayrayH2P
One of the confounding things about Butler FB: the school district has probably the preeminent
TF program in the WPIAL. Yet FB is perennially bad

I graduated from Uniontown High in 1975. Growing up in the Sixties, the Red Raiders were a powerhouse football program, winning and competing for state titles.

But, with the closure of the mines and the mills and the resultant population loss, it will never be what it once was.

Combining is an interesting idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT