ADVERTISEMENT

What if we don't get any of the better..

220/22traveler

Scholarship
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2009
names we are currently in on and fill with a bunch of "settled for"'s. I know there are guys left but it sure seems like we have a better chance at none than all. Does Lyke still let this go on? Is it too late to pull the plug? He ain't gonna win with the roster as is and if he doesn't get anyone that looks like a difference maker then is next year just a throw away year? This is getting more depressing everyday. Someone give me something to offer just a flicker of hope. Please.
When I see some of the names of the guys we contacted and they pick a directional school, I think, well we Ave someone better lined up. I'm not falling for that again. I hate to be negative but I'm afraid it's not negative as much as realism.

Capel will be the coach next year absent some major scandal.

As far as getting a difference maker I don’t see that as likely.

The next year seems destined to be about in the same ballpark as all the others.

Capel will be the coach next year absent some major scandal.

As far as getting a difference maker I don’t see that as likely.

The next year seems destined to be about in the same ballpark as all the others.
I hate to break it to you all, but Capel will be here at least 2 more years. Pitt and Heather not eating the buy out!!!!!! Heather needs to go!!!!!! Let’s get a real AD !!!!!!!!

names we are currently in on and fill with a bunch of "settled for"'s. I know there are guys left but it sure seems like we have a better chance at none than all. Does Lyke still let this go on? Is it too late to pull the plug? He ain't gonna win with the roster as is and if he doesn't get anyone that looks like a difference maker then is next year just a throw away year? This is getting more depressing everyday. Someone give me something to offer just a flicker of hope. Please.
When I see some of the names of the guys we contacted and they pick a directional school, I think, well we Ave someone better lined up. I'm not falling for that again. I hate to be negative but I'm afraid it's not negative as much as realism.
Then it will be just like any other year for Capel at Pitt. And let’s face it-you can remove the “what-if” from your subject line. There’s no cavalry coming to the rescue.

I hate to break it to you all, but Capel will be here at least 2 more years. Pitt and Heather not eating the buy out!!!!!! Heather needs to go!!!!!! Let’s get a real AD !!!!!!!!

Any more time he is here and we'll see an empty Pete for most of the year, except for some visiting teams' fans of the better programs. Is the lost revenue from an empty Pete greater than any buyout for this guy?

Any more time he is here and we'll see an empty Pete for most of the year, except for some visiting teams' fans of the better programs. Is the lost revenue from an empty Pete greater than any buyout for this guy?
If it wasn’t then he’d be gone already !

Whose the next coach that’s going to fill up the Pete ?

And what will he cost ?

You have my word of honor that even if Capel wins the NIT, he is gone unless

a) Hugley comes back

or

b) he has a fantastic 2023 class signed in November

We are going to start 5 25 year olds. Even if those guys win the NIT, he would be brining back basically NOBODY and would be starting from scratch all over.

a) Hugley comes back

or

We are going to start 5 25 year olds. Even if those guys win the NIT, he would be brining back basically NOBODY and would be starting from scratch all over.
Right. So….how in hell was that a wonderful plan?

Right. So….how in hell was that a wonderful plan?
Well, the original plan was to land a good 2022 class. We started strong with Mintz then struck out on everyone else then he decomitted. So, what choice does Capel have? With the season he had this hear, he knows he has to make the NCAAT to keep his job so he has to land the best players he can get regardless of class. Just so happens that very few players with any eligibility beyond 22-23 will consider Pitt knowing a coaching change is likely. So his pool is limited

A starting lineup of

Cummings
Burton
Sibande
Hinson
Hugley

is better than last year. They can win 6-8 ACC games with that. Of course, Heather isnt firing him in June and paying a huge buyout. She had to understand there was a very good possibility that Capel wasnt going to be able to field a good enough roster.

Come on man. He doesn’t have to make the NCAA. He doesn’t even have to make the NIT. If he just does a bit better than last year, even by a couple games, even if that comes from winning a couple more of the OOC games they should never have lost, he’ll be back. He can’t totally crater; there will be a line that can’t be crossed, but it would have to be a record even worse than this previous season.

It’s hard to predict since Pitt leadership is currently in flux. But most signs point to it ending up even more socially conscious and indifferent to winning sports than it already was up to now. Pitt won’t want to fire this guy, the only exception being that they have booster funding in place for the buyout, AND they have a realistic POC (seen as an upgrade) committed for his replacement. That’s merely my opinion, but it’s from living in the Pgh region, talking to several folks who work at the university at levels where they are familiar with the prevailing winds, and simply following the news.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Come on man. He doesn’t have to make the NCAA. He doesn’t even have to make the NIT. If he just does a bit better than last year, even by a couple games, even if that comes from winning a couple more of the OOC games they should never have lost, he’ll be back. He can’t totally crater; there will be a line that can’t be crossed, but it would have to be a record even worse than this previous season.

It’s hard to predict since Pitt leadership is currently in flux. But most signs point to it ending up even more socially conscious and indifferent to winning sports than it already was up to now. Pitt won’t want to fire this guy, the only exception being that they have booster funding in place for the buyout, AND they have a realistic POC (seen as an upgrade) committed for his replacement. That’s merely my opinion, but it’s from living in the Pgh region, talking to several folks who work at the university at levels where they are familiar with the prevailing winds, and simply following the news.
A million percent wrong. Its NCAAT or done. The list of P6 coaches who have gotten a Year 6 after not ever making the NCAAT is a handful and a few of those guys had great classes coming in or as young players to save them. If he has a great class signed in November, then maybe

A million percent wrong. Its NCAAT or done. The list of P6 coaches who have gotten a Year 6 after not ever making the NCAAT is a handful and a few of those guys had great classes coming in or as young players to save them. If he has a great class signed in November, then maybe
We’ll see

That starting lineup is not better than last year. There are two players who haven’t played in a long time. There isn’t a shooter in that line up that will create space on the floor. Other teams will pack the lane making Pitt’s best player obsolete. 6-8 acc wins is laughable. Who are those wins coming against. Every acc has gotten better and Pitt has gotten worse.

Jeff Capel is a Bb coach , we’re past the time that he’s a black or white Bb coach . He will be judged on his record , but his future employment more importantly will depend on the amount of money owed to him , not whether it’s politically correct to retain or fire him . The color that matters most to Pitt is GREEN !

If there’s not reasonable improvement and that doesn’t mean NCAAS or bust and there’s favorable terms to fire him after next season he’s gone if not he’ll still be here .

With the amount of money that’s on the table this isn’t Heathers decision alone . She hired him , but I don’t think she has the total say on his future unless she can raise the money needed to pay the buyout . Obviously she couldn't‘ find the money this yr to act .

NIL money to the players is the future and it would be a lot cheaper to find ways for Pitt‘s boosters to fund this then to fund a buyout for an underperforming coach and then having to grossly overpay someone to take what has become a very unattractive job .

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Jeff Capel is a Bb coach , we’re past the time that he’s a black or white Bb coach . He will be judged on his record , but his future employment more importantly will depend on the amount of money owed to him , not whether it’s politically correct to retain or fire him . The color that matters most to Pitt is GREEN !

If there’s not reasonable improvement and that doesn’t mean NCAAS or bust and there’s favorable terms to fire him after next season he’s gone if not he’ll still be here .

With the amount of money that’s on the table this isn’t Heathers decision alone . She hired him , but I don’t think she has the total say on his future unless she can raise the money needed to pay the buyout . Obviously she couldn't‘ find the money this yr to act .

NIL money to the players is the future and it would be a lot cheaper to find ways for Pitt‘s boosters to fund this then to fund a buyout for an underperforming coach and then having to grossly overpay someone to take what has become a very unattractive job .
Conveniently, we will all be able to watch and follow what happens.

If I’m proven right, I’ll come here to gloat, and everyone here will be silent and refuse to acknowledge it

If I’m proven wrong, like everyone else I’ll stay away from thus thread like a frightened weasel and pretend I never posted it.

Btw your scenario, to unshackle the boosters and encourage generous NIL deals, IS the best course of action, especially now that it is perfectly above board. But Pitt has thought booster involvement with obtaining players to be ca-ca since the 1980s. For whatever reason they have much preferred the ugly messy and costly route of replacing coaches (and begging boosters to bail them out for the messiest ones, such as ponying up to pay Graham after the horrendous Haywood debacle, and of course, needing to run off Stallings). I guess it seems cleaner to them. But in this particular situation it isn’t merely a generic coach they’ll be running off, it would be a guy who has stood up publicly for the big social causes of the day, so I expect there will be a little more caution.

We shall see.

Conveniently, we will all be able to watch and follow what happens.

If I’m proven right, I’ll come here to gloat, and everyone here will be silent and refuse to acknowledge it

If I’m proven wrong, like everyone else I’ll stay away from thus thread like a frightened weasel and pretend I never posted it.

Btw your scenario, to unshackle the boosters and encourage generous NIL deals, IS the best course of action, especially now that it is perfectly above board. But Pitt has thought booster involvement with obtaining players to be ca-ca since the 1980s. For whatever reason they have much preferred the ugly messy and costly route of replacing coaches (and begging boosters to bail them out for the messiest ones, such as ponying up to pay Graham after the horrendous Haywood debacle, and of course, needing to run off Stallings). I guess it seems cleaner to them. But in this particular situation it isn’t merely a generic coach they’ll be running off, it would be a guy who has stood up publicly for the big social causes of the day, so I expect there will be a little more caution.

We shall see.
It’s obvious that JC and the lure of playing at the University of Pgh in the ACC alone isn’t enough to attract the level of players needed to win in the ACC . I can’t see any top tier coach wanting to leave a winning comfortable situation to assume the HC position at Pitt for any affordable amount of money . That leaves one solution, get the money to where it can do the most good and get the quickest return …….the PLAYERS ! It’s doable and it’s copacetic now .

It’s obvious that JC and the lure of playing at the University of Pgh in the ACC alone isn’t enough to attract the level of players needed to win in the ACC . I can’t see any top tier coach wanting to leave a winning comfortable situation to assume the HC position at Pitt for any affordable amount of money . That leaves one solution, get the money to where it can do the most good and get the quickest return …….the PLAYERS ! It’s doable and it’s copacetic now .
But the thing you seem be missing is that Pitt is near the bottom of the barrel for athletic donations to begin with. Perhaps you’re implying that there should be an effort to get donors to step up but what was already a disadvantage became a bigger one with NIL, at least as NIL stands currently.

But the thing you seem be missing is that Pitt is near the bottom of the barrel for athletic donations to begin with. Perhaps you’re implying that there should be an effort to get donors to step up but what was already a disadvantage became a bigger one with NIL, at least as NIL stands currently.
Redirect the money to the players as opposed to perks for the athletic department . Plus in the scheme of things we’re not talking enormous sums of money . 500k probably buys them the 2 or 3 guys they need .

That starting lineup is not better than last year. There are two players who haven’t played in a long time. There isn’t a shooter in that line up that will create space on the floor. Other teams will pack the lane making Pitt’s best player obsolete. 6-8 acc wins is laughable. Who are those wins coming against. Every acc has gotten better and Pitt has gotten worse.
PG - Nelly vs Femi - Femi slightly
SG - Burton vs Burton
SF - Sibande vs Jeffress - Sibande by a mile
PF - Hinson vs Gueye - even
C - Hugley vs Hugley- improved Hugley

Nike and burton in same line up is a train wreck waiting to happen. They are the same player. Ball dominant guards who pound the ball and take a lot of shots. If they are in line up together big John isn’t getting the ball. Only Time John touches ball is getting a rebound from one of their poorly rushed shots at the end of the clock. Also Mo equal to Hinson is a joke right? Hinson hasn’t played in 2 years and isn’t even a four. If anything Hinson should play the three with Nike or burton off of bench.

a) Hugley comes back

or

It depends on the buy out number. That number has varied. If the buy out number is reasonable, then Capel is history…

A starting lineup of

Cummings
Burton
Sibande
Hinson
Hugley

is better than last year. They can win 6-8 ACC games with that. Of course, Heather isnt firing him in June and paying a huge buyout. She had to understand there was a very good possibility that Capel wasnt going to be able to field a good enough roster.
Highly questionable whether that lineup is better than last year. Dont know how you can say that so matter of fact like when you’re listing 2 guys that essentially haven’t played in 2 years and has no rebounding or defensive presence in the post. Mo may not have rebounded much but he at least provided a defensive presence underneath and good shot- blocking.

And I haven’t even mentioned any outside shooting presence, or lack thereof.

It depends on the buy out number. That number has varied. If the buy out number is reasonable, then Capel is history…
After the doldrums we’ve had, basically a decade by now, something like winning the NIT (while I’ll agree is a yawner in the bigger picture of college basketball) would be outright incredible for Pitt in this time and place in our history. Given that, do most everyone here truly believe he would still be let go? I am astonished, if that is the case. In fact I think it would result in another extension.

I understand many fans look fondly back to the oughts and miss when Pitt basketball was in such a great place. But face facts, that’s ancient history now. Comparisons needs to be much more recent.

I'm not sure that gets him an extension however for me at least, winning the NIT would be wonderful. It shows we may have just missed the cut but are beating multiple quality teams. Given our recent history this would be great. Now, it doesn't take away from the need to make the NCAA tournament again soon!

After the doldrums we’ve had, basically a decade by now, something like winning the NIT (while I’ll agree is a yawner in the bigger picture of college basketball) would be outright incredible for Pitt in this time and place in our history. Given that, do most everyone here truly believe he would still be let go? I am astonished, if that is the case. In fact I think it would result in another extension.

I understand many fans look fondly back to the oughts and miss when Pitt basketball was in such a great place. But face facts, that’s ancient history now. Comparisons needs to be much more recent.
I'd give my left nut, surgically removed of course, for an NIT championship.

Nike and burton in same line up is a train wreck waiting to happen. They are the same player. Ball dominant guards who pound the ball and take a lot of shots. If they are in line up together big John isn’t getting the ball. Only Time John touches ball is getting a rebound from one of their poorly rushed shots at the end of the clock. Also Mo equal to Hinson is a joke right? Hinson hasn’t played in 2 years and isn’t even a four. If anything Hinson should play the three with Nike or burton off of bench.
Hinson averaged 10 in the SEC. Gueye averaged 9 in the AE. I don't think its a stretch to say they are equal.

Pitt averaged 800 less fans per game than Dixon's last year.. sold tickets wise. Averaged 8200 sold tickets a game in 21-22. About 9k JD's last year.

Averaged under 4k for KS.

It doesn't even matter at this point. He doesn't get a Year 6 if he doesn't make the NCAAT unless he has a good team coming back

I'm not sure that gets him an extension however for me at least, winning the NIT would be wonderful. It shows we may have just missed the cut but are beating multiple quality teams. Given our recent history this would be great. Now, it doesn't take away from the need to make the NCAA tournament again soon!
Yes, winning the NIT would be wonderful but if we lose all 5 starters and have no quality HS players signed, he's gone.

Hinson averaged 10 in the SEC. Gueye averaged 9 in the AE. I don't think its a stretch to say they are equal.
That was three years ago. They don’t play the same position. No one has seen him play. No one knows if his illness that he had will effect his play. To say he is the same as Mo with all of those circumstances is laughable.

Reactions: rockypanther
Pitt averaged 800 less fans per game than Dixon's last year.. sold tickets wise. Averaged 8200 sold tickets a game in 21-22. About 9k JD's last year.

That's BS. I was at many of the games last year. Most times, there were less than 2,000 in the stands, and many times 1000 - 1500 was the norm. Maybe in one game, there might have been 4,000. But that's not the norm under Capel. Most sold seats in the middle reserved sections were empty. And if you want to point to The Zoo, it was pathetic this past year. Half empty with maybe one exception and it reminded me of going to church many times. Very quiet.

Until this guy is gone, I won't be going to many games. I also know many of the people I talk to who have had season's tickets feel the same way. Many will keep their tickets but just not go, with hope that we can hire a real coach someday and start to see some competitive games again, like we used to see with Dixon. Their seat positions and priority status will be preserved.

I hate to break it to you, but this is the feeling of many, many Pitt fans who hold season's tickets for basketball.

That was three years ago. They don’t play the same position. No one has seen him play. No one knows if his illness that he had will effect his play. To say he is the same as Mo with all of those circumstances is laughable.

As far as any of us know and until we see him play in the ACC, Hinson is an unknown quantity. I doubt he'll be close to what we got out of Gueye. If he does half as well as Gueye, we'll be fortunate.

That's BS. I was at many of the games last year. Most times, there were less than 2,000 in the stands, and many times 1000 - 1500 was the norm. Maybe in one game, there might have been 4,000. But that's not the norm under Capel. Most sold seats in the middle reserved sections were empty. And if you want to point to The Zoo, it was pathetic this past year. Half empty with maybe one exception and it reminded me of going to church many times. Very quiet.

Until this guy is gone, I won't be going to many games. I also know many of the people I talk to who have had season's tickets feel the same way. Many will keep their tickets but just not go, with hope that we can hire a real coach someday and start to see some competitive games again, like we used to see with Dixon. Their seat positions and priority status will be preserved.

I hate to break it to you, but this is the feeling of many, many Pitt fans who hold season's tickets for basketball.

sold. tickets.

not attendance.

And we all know there were nowhere near 8200 bodies at every Pitt home game last year, nor were there 9000 at every home game those last couple years under JD. I think the Howland and Dixon era proved that if you’re gonna fill the arena at Pitt, you’d better have a league championship contending team every year.
Pitt isn’t an Indiana, OSU or Louisville that’s going to sell out regardless of the mediocrity of the on-court product. Dixon’s last couple years showed that not too many people in Pittsburgh are going to pay much attention to a bubble/low seed line kind of team especially with a tomato can OOC and no compelling rivalry in the conference outside of the fast-fading Cuse program.

sold. tickets.

not attendance.

I guess you didn't read my post. I mentioned that most of the seats in the middle sections on the lower bowl were empty during most games. That means they were sold but no one was sitting on those seats. And also now that I come to think of it, most seats in the end zones were not occupied. With Capel, we're lucky to get 1,500 actual butts in the stands, even with sold tickets in excess of 8,000.

Reactions: rockypanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT