ADVERTISEMENT

What is going on with Hamlin?

My guess is he redshirts, along with Ford, and we spend the offseason glowing at the potential of the secondary in 2018.

:p:p Damar Hamlin in 20 years, discussing his Pitt career:

what-needs-to-happen-in-unbreakable-2-306793.gif

That's really a dick thing to say. You don't know if he is good enough or still hurt. But you will still bash the player. Let's actually support the team and coaches. No one knows what's going on except them and the players. Maybe for once we can try to have a positive attitude. Maybe recruits will look at it as a positive. I know I wouldn't want to play for a fan base full of A holes who just want to bash you.

That's really a dick thing to say. You don't know if he is good enough or still hurt. But you will still bash the player. Let's actually support the team and coaches. No one knows what's going on except them and the players. Maybe for once we can try to have a positive attitude. Maybe recruits will look at it as a positive. I know I wouldn't want to play for a fan base full of A holes who just want to bash you.
I agree with your overall point. I'm just saying, it's much worse in other places. This is freakin' anonymous messsge board, you're gonna hear a lot of dumb shit. But would anyone want to go to A&M after knowing their coach received racist hate mail? Penn State where a kicker received numerous death threats?

But yes, we should remain positive. And yes, nobody knows for sure. Just from what narduzzi has said though it sounds like a combination of injury and guys like Mathis at corner and stocker and garner at safety just showing more to the staff.

Reactions: Jpripper88
My guess is he redshirts, along with Ford, and we spend the offseason glowing at the potential of the secondary in 2018.

Yea, I think they give him a year to see if the chronic hernia will heal. If not, he'd probably have to take a medical hardship or transfer to a lower level where his limitations that the hernia causes doesn't pose as big of a problem

Shows that recruiting stars don't mean immediate success (4* I believe). Just like lack of recruiting stars don't equal scrub players (Q. Henderson 2*).

Reactions: runthewildcat
That's really a dick thing to say. You don't know if he is good enough or still hurt. But you will still bash the player.

All I got was that, Hamlin is just not in a good position right now, I interpreted: to help the team right now on the field. Seemed all fair and not insulting to anyone.

Everyone is rooting for Hamlin to get healthy and succeed -- but it's TRUE --- right now Hamlin is not "Good" health wise to be put on the field.

Shows that recruiting stars don't mean immediate success (4* I believe)

http://247sports.com/Player/Damar-Hamlin-47223?Institution=4483

Yup a very HIGH 4 star, top 150-175 National player with Ohio State / Michigan / Bama / Florida State / offers from everyone.

College Football though: a low 3 star, true freshman Damarri Mathis or Hamlin's Same-year high school teammate, lowly-recruited 3 star Bricen Garner are guys who get on the field earlier healthy and contribute. Never know!

Hail to Pitt!

If he's not dressed and playing,
It's because he's not good enough to play and help.

The why is conjecture.

FYI - Just because a kid has 4 Stars slapped to his name does not mean he is going to be a good college player. See Pat Bostick.

He has battled a few injuries since he got to Pitt. From talking to someone who has a couple of connections although admittedly those connections are not necessarily gospel... but the expectation is that he is going to redshirt to try and get himself a development year, get healthy, etc...

There are still high hopes for him to be a good player at Pitt. Just battling the injury bug right now and can't seem to stay healthy.

I don't get why so many talk down Hamlin. I don't think patience is too much to ask.

And if he doesn't pan out, well, he won't be the first or the last.

If he's not dressed and playing,
It's because he's not good enough to play and help.

The why is conjecture.
He's hurt, he said been hurt since high school, and there's reason to be concerned that his injury is chronic and that he may never get healthy enough to play at a high level. There's no conjecture about the fact that he's not playing because he's not healthy. That's a fact. The coaches have been talking about it since the spring, when he was unable to practice.

That's not the same thing as saying he's "not good enough." Not even close.

I dont think Ford redshirts, he has only had a few practices, and again, even though Hamlin has had the multiple injury issues, these guys, if they are the stars we hope they are, wont last 4 years, so redshirting isnt a big deal.

I don't get why so many talk down Hamlin. I don't think patience is too much to ask.

And if he doesn't pan out, well, he won't be the first or the last.

Because he's from the wpial. Jester Weah who had 3 embarassing years received more support from posters here than Hamlin gets.

The word seems to be he not allowed to play this year at all.

I dont think Ford redshirts, he has only had a few practices, and again, even though Hamlin has had the multiple injury issues, these guys, if they are the stars we hope they are, wont last 4 years, so redshirting isnt a big deal.

Because he's from the wpial. Jester Weah who had 3 embarassing years received more support from posters here than Hamlin gets.

Weah was downright ridiculed on here for 2 years when he dropped everything thrown at him. He didn't get much support that I remember unless you consider being called a MAC level recruit as supportive.

Hamlin is more a victim of expectations. If we can get 2 very good years from him much like Ejuan Price who was also sidelined his first few years too because of injury so be it.

Last edited:
Did they ever hear back from the NCAA on his redshirt from last season? Maybe they are waiting on that? From what I've read, he missed some of camp and may still be dealing with the same issues. If he was dressed this weekend, that's a good sign. I didn't think he looked bad last season, although he looked WAY too small to be an every down contributor.

Did they ever hear back from the NCAA on his redshirt from last season? Maybe they are waiting on that? From what I've read, he missed some of camp and may still be dealing with the same issues. If he was dressed this weekend, that's a good sign. I didn't think he looked bad last season, although he looked WAY too small to be an every down contributor.
hear back on what? He played. you don't hear back on this until after the original eligibility is exhausted anyways so even if this was a possibility, we wont know until 2020..

There is zero reason to play him this year, even if he was 100%. if he is at safety, which he is, it would be a waste to have him at 3rd string. I believe he is at boundary and he is not passing Briggs or Campbell. I don't see him passing Garner or even stocker if he is at field so outside of a wave of injuries, he is not sniffing the field even if healthy. You redshirt him and have him compete for a 2 deep spot next year at safety..

He isn't getting a medical redshirt for last year. The fact some people though he could was ridiculous.

Nope. It was a dumb decision to play him last year.
we were running out of options. I don't fault duzzi for playing him, you have to play somebody. he redshirts this year or last, not much of a difference. got to get this kid healthy by next spring. if he is still 'limited' for what will be 3+ years, man, that's a sign to hang it up and get the hell out of football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT