ADVERTISEMENT

What is most disgusting about this whole thing is...

Here's a better analogy.
In the town next to us some big money guys set up a high end hooker business in a local hotel. They eventually busted the big money guys.

Six months later it reopened with new big money buys of course.

So the police set up a sting,busted the new big money guys, plus every customer of the hookers. Both the big money guys plus the customers of the hookers were arrested, names released and published in the local papers. Guess what noone is interested in that service at this time so the hooker business folded up.

If the players and or players families are made an example of there wont be many players willing to take the risk of criminal prosecution or maybe no college basketball. If there arent players willing to take the money and the risk the pay for play business will just fold up!
If I'm an elite recruit and you hand me a bag with 50k in it and we're not in a sting operation and I don't place the money in the bank how are you going to prove anything ? It's your word against mine . Assuming I don't go out and buy an expensive new car or do something else that's stupid and tracible . Same as $100 handshake no ones asking for a receipt .
Prostitution , drugs ,gambling and in this case paying for recruits will always exist . The smart ones get smarter and thrive . You think prostitution doesn't exist now in your community
now ?

Last edited:
Go after all the criminals involved and see if the lower levels can flip on the higher levels for deals, but I agree completely that the players and families should be prosecuted. I'm not sure why anyone would think they should skate.
So your going to threaten 1000's of kids with jail time ? How does this make society better and you'll sleep better at night ?
How about not letting kids into schools unless they academically qualify !
Why is winning bb and Fb games so important to colleges ?
Because a lot of adults and universities make a fortune off these kids !

So your going to threaten 1000's of kids with jail time ? How does this make society better and you'll sleep better at night ?
Most of the kids aren't getting much of the money. Their parents/uncles/coaches are. You go after criminals who are breaking federal law. If you can get them to plead out to help catch bigger fish? Great.

Most of the kids aren't getting much of the money. Their parents/uncles/coaches are. You go after criminals who are breaking federal law. If you can get them to plead out to help catch bigger fish? Great.
Will never go that far , the big fish are the shoe companies and agents because that's where $$$ is and will br where the emphasis will be placed by law enforcement .

It wouldn't be 1,000 it would be the players and players families who took money relating to this investigation.
They broke the law!
I am one who would only like kids who qualify to be admitted to colleges to play sports. The remainder can enter a minor league system yet to be established for basketball and football.
These players do ok since they get a free education and a chance to escape from their current situations to the life of an NBA player.

Last edited:
If they could enforce both the above and under table payola, perhaps. But by definition under the table is unseen and unregulated. Like the $100000 and $150000 being bandied around here! That's where the issue is already and Pitt already is not keeping up. Even if we had boosters willing to do that, Pitt's leadership would never go for it. That stuff won't end. This scandal won't stop it. The FBI uncovered this incident; the NCAA didn't, and won't in the future either. Adding an obligation above the table for Pitt, particularly a high amount, only exasperates our plight. But that's just my take...
Duke are you kidding me they are right there with the rest of them

It wouldn't be 1,000 it would be the players and players families who took money relating to this investigation.
They broke the law!
I am one who would only like kids who qualify to be admitted to colleges to play sports. The remainder can enter a minor league system yet to be established for basketball and football.
These players do ok since they get a free education and a chance to escape from their current situations to the life of an NBA player.
The findings of this investigation are just the tip of the iceberg and just starting . If they follow the shoe money they'll easily find 1000 kids over the yrs who took money . It won't just be bb players .
Offering a free education to kids who are academically qualified is a wonderful thing for any kid and his family , but if the only reason your accepted to a school is to play bb or Fb ( and try to stay eligible ) is like Pitt offering me a four yr scholarship to play Fb . At 5'8" 155 lbs 6.0 forty, I don't think I'd get much out of that
opportunity .

Forgetting the big picture implications for all of college sports, staying right on the same campus. So how is it when this comes out about Louisville basketball, there isn't immediate light shed on their football team and particularly their all world QB? And the QB before that? Louisville is ok and all but for them to get talent like that screams payola. Yet not a word is uttered?

Vitale was the head coach of Detroit University. They went to the elite 8 or something like that. Then he got hired by the NBA pistons. Then he was fired a few years later.

He should call Pitino and congratulate him on being a career cheater who only got caught two or three times. And yes, Pitino taught all of assistants how to cheat.

As soon as Dick Vitale retires basketball will be better off. He is a jerk.

I'd gladly take his results at Pitt! I'd love to have a vacated national championship, I'd still wear the championship t shirt, brag about it and watch it again on DVD.

ADVERTISEMENT