ADVERTISEMENT

What Pitt could learn from the U

Your right it really sucked . I’m not sure how all those coeds were able to get the stadium !

Did 3/4 of them leave after the 3rd so they could get an early start on their 25 mile trip back to Coral Gables?

I have absolutely tailgated for pitt games at Heinz for some really big games. There have been some really great atmospheres, they just don't happen all that often. PSU last year, ND and Cincy games in 09, Va Tech and Miami in 03, ND in the 05 opener. Problem is most other games at Heinz through the years have been dead.

I agree there's a lot pitt could learn from Miami. But they're not much different than us, just a few years ago their stadium made ours look like the most packed stadium in the ACC. They're back and having a great year though, they played a huge game last night, the fans showed up and were excited.

Pitt, Miami, and other schools that play in big cities will always have the same problems. If you win though, amazing how quickly you have a great atmosphere at your games. Pitt can look at any other school as a model, they can try anything they want, but all they need to do is recruit better, play big games, and win big games. That's really the only way to get people to the games.

That garbage NC State team had a guy named Russell Wilson at QB, clearly a proven bum.
NC State went 5-7 that season
Two of those wins were against FCS schools. Another was against a 2 win Maryland team
They were garbage, even with Russell Wilson

Do some research next time

Just like in real estate - it is all about the LOCATION. Trying to compare The U to Pitt is idiotic.
No , it shows that hiring the right coach is possible . Miami’s program was in disarray not that long ago and now they are deservingly #2 in the nation . Every major school in the country is recruiting kids from Fl and that includes Pitt and Miami . If Pitt was a better program they’d get more kids out of Fl , Ohio , NJ , NY
etc . Pitt isn’t restricted to recruiting kids only from Pa . Where were players like Hugh Green and Ricky Jackson from ? Pitt simply needs better recruits than the 2 & 3 * they’re getting and I don’t care where their from .
Is State Colege Pa prime real estate ?
You do realize Alabama is # 1 , I don’t know about you , but I don’t want to retire there . I heard they’ve got a pretty good coach though !

No , it shows that hiring the right coach is possible . Miami’s program was in disarray not that long ago and now they are deservingly #2 in the nation . Every major school in the country is recruiting kids from Fl and that includes Pitt and Miami . If Pitt was a better program they’d get more kids out of Fl , Ohio , NJ , NY
etc . Pitt isn’t restricted to recruiting kids only from Pa . Where were players like Hugh Green and Ricky Jackson from ? Pitt simply needs better recruits than the 2 & 3 * they’re getting and I don’t care where their from .
Is State Colege Pa prime real estate ?
You do realize Alabama is # 1 , I don’t know about you , but I don’t want to retire there . I heard they’ve got a pretty good coach though !
Pitt has nothing in common with those schools. I mean....seriously.....it is time to wake up, look in the mirror, and face reality. Pitt IS NOT going to land a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits. If we had 73 of them in state, like Miami, then we’d land more. Law of probability. Bama and PS - LOL. No need to even respond to that one.

Reactions: BFo8
Pitt has nothing in common with those schools. I mean....seriously.....it is time to wake up, look in the mirror, and face reality. Pitt IS NOT going to land a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits. If we had 73 of them in state, like Miami, then we’d land more. Law of probability. Bama and PS - LOL. No need to even respond to that one.
I was pointing out location ,location ,location . Isn’t PSU in the same state as Pitt ?
No reason half the class can’t be 4*

If a program is a good program the location of the program has no bearing on recruiting.

Good programs attract good players. If the programs in FL were bad programs the FL players would go elsewhere but they happen to be good programs.

At this time Pitt isnt considered a good program so why should a Fl kid go to Pitt except for immediate playing time?!

Your first paragraph is just absolutely not true. Look at the big ten. Lots of programs considered good programs...yet despite that they constantly get clocked by the southern schools. That is because of a better local recruiting base.

I know it has been
Said over and over, but 2 and 3 star recruits in FL are often closer to a 4 up here.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I was pointing out location ,location ,location . Isn’t PSU in the same state as Pitt ?
No reason half the class can’t be 4*

Seriously, are you really trying to make these comparisons? Geographically, PSU has very little real competition in eastern PA and in NJ Rutgers has been very bad.

In western PA, pitt has three strong other programs that are fairly local to compete with in OSU, WVU, and PSU.

We had a coach who tried to copy the U.

Our former Jimmy Johnson assistant recruited a better percentage of our top local talent, ran a "pro style" offense, focused on an athletic 4-3 over defense. He had a lot of players arrested too, which probably wasn't his goal.

He was fired.

Pitt will never be Miami without a time machine to 1984. The why can't we be more like Wisconsin thread is the more relevant of the jealousy threads.

I attended last nights game between ND and Miami and I can’t remember ever being in an environment with so much energy and excitement . (I’ve gone to many Pitt games over the yrs ) Being I spend half the yr in SFl and I absolutely hate ND sports it was an easy choice , I was Caine fan yesterday . Starting in the parking lot with the tailgating the level of excitement was something I’ve never experienced at a Pitt game , everyone was your new best friend . I was expecting to see a lot of ND fans , but if 5% of the crowd were ND fans that’d have a lot .(not 30-40%) The closest I can come to describing the noise level inside the stadium was rock concert like and it never changed throughout the game .The only other game I’ve ever seen that could rival last night game for excitement and intensity would’ve been TDs 303 yd game against my buds from ND .
Take aways
The U is back
Their back because they went out and hired the right coach
They went out and paid what it took to get the coach ( 4 mil ) they wanted and they are now contenders for a national championship. ( it didn’t take long either )
Their incoming recruiting class is top 5 and with 30 prospects at last nights game getting better
With their success their fans are back ( the cheapest seat last was going for over $300 ) . I’m sure season ticket sells and donations for next season will easily offset any investment they made
Playing in big games like this are invaluable in turning students into lifelong fans
PITT CHANGE YOUR APPROCH TO ATHLETICS embrace winning it does wonders for the student body , the alumni and the city . By the way it pays off $$$$$$$
Ps ..as for the actual game , compared to the Caine’s ND looked like they were running in mud . Their quick and talented , it might not be pretty in a couple weeks hope for bad weather !
yeah noise levels through the roof...now, check in on next year's nooner against wake forest or duke down there and get back to me on that...Despite that game last week I'm not buying Miami is back yet...what I am buying is that using ND's nail biter loss in a game against a now exposed Georgia gave them way, way too much credence as a powerhouse...

73 - 4 and 5 star recruits in FL
14 in PA

Next Year
37 - FL
3 - PA
The point is Pitt has to minimize its focus on PA recruits and recruit the national football hotbeds!

Football in Eastern PA is dropping off as more people move to PA from NY and NJ and the CTE "scare" is pushed by the liberal local and liberal NY/Philly media with alot of Bob Costas "wanna be's" directing programming.

The NY and NJ kids focus on Soccer, Basketball, Baseball, Track & LaCrosse ( however its spelled).

Our Eastern PA local HS while still a PA state and national wrestling power now has a LaCrosse ( however its spelled) team. This once was a blood and guts football and wrestling HS. In the past the basketball was terrible now its good to very good!

Things are changing and recruiting plans should as well! If I was Narduzzi I'd try to nail down a few coordinators from Fl and the Southwest.

Last edited:
Richt was a top OC when he was hired at UGA.

I think the key is not hiring a coordinator for a ground-up rebuild job like this one. That requires someone who has been there, done that. UGA was already loaded when he got there.

Nobody has succeeded at Pitt since Jackie. At some point, you have to recognize maybe it’s not them, it’s Pitt.
People forget that Richt was SP's first choice to replace Majors. Cavanaugh was his second choice. They ended up with a QB coach from OSU. GA got a great coach, we got an OK coach. I'm not sure if that was the time that we refused to interview Alvarez??
People keep saying that this admin. is "all in" for athletics.......but there's no proof being shown. Talk is cheap.....subsidizing sports for all those years hasn't worked....because prior leadership always went cheap, and let everything slide. Same is happening today.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
yeah noise levels through the roof...now, check in on next year's nooner against wake forest or duke down there and get back to me on that...Despite that game last week I'm not buying Miami is back yet...what I am buying is that using ND's nail biter loss in a game against a now exposed Georgia gave them way, way too much credence as a powerhouse...
Until the conference championships and playoffs there’s really no great way of knowing how good anyone really is . I’ll tell you this much though this wasn’t a lucky fluke win . They dominated and if they played again they’d easily win .
Two of the fellows I went with plan on purchasing season tickets next season . Adding a top 5 recruiting class too what I saw ....this program is on a roll .

Last edited:
I attended last nights game between ND and Miami...

I was Caine fan yesterday .

I am too. The man is a treasure.
tumblr_ljib6ofEee1qbz490o1_400_2439.jpg

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Here’s the point that’s getting away from us here . Pitt through its incompetence at running their athletic department has taken the fun out of attending both Fb and Bb games . Some on here want to blame the fans , but it’s not the fans responsibilities to attend events that they don’t find entertaining . Some on here complain about the recruiting base , well aren’t the two highest paid employees at the university the Fb and Bb coaches and isn’t it their job to acquire and coach the student ATHLETES ?
There are no excuses , if you want fans to attend your games and you want athletic donations to increase put winning teams out there that are great events to attend , it’s really that simple .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT