ADVERTISEMENT

What was the best Pitt game at Pitt Stadium or Three Rivers Stadium?

What was the best Pitt game at Pitt Stadium and/or Three Rivers Stadium? By best, I mean most competitive, most exciting.
There were so many great games at Pitt Stadium. However, the very last game at the stadium vs ND was as thrilling as they come. A panther victory before a sell out crowd on a historic occasion at night was a sight to behold. There were many great games but that’s one I’ll always treasure.

Without question for me, the comeback victory against WV in the early 70's.
Cost Bobby Bowden his job eventually.
Homecoming stunner against a real rival.

Great fun!

I can't vouch for the 70s games, I'm sure they were better.

For those I attended, for Pitt stadium guess I'd have to say the 10-0 win over PSU in 87 or whatever year, or the final game, though that was a lame ND team, it still had likely 100 times the talent in star rankings. Plus the emotion, nostalgia etc..

For Three Rivers, there weren't many games in "my" era. The game Pitt beat PSU 12-0 was really a pretty dull game and neither team was anything special. Pitt beating WVU 38-27 or such, when A. Bryant caught a td pass without one shoe, ranked higher to me.

Reactions: JSSTartan
My first Pitt Stadium game was Louisville in 1976. So from there to the stadium's closing, I'll choose the 1987 win over Penn State 10-0 as #1 by far. Runnerup, the 1982 thriller over WVU when Pitt had to rally against a very good, tough Mountaineer squad.

The shutout over PSU at Three Rivers was the best one there since I wasn't at the '76 game.

In truth, I saw more moments of agony, horror, torture and heartbreak on the hill than significant wins. Pitt saved its best work for the road.

Reactions: caleco's
In truth, I saw more moments of agony, horror, torture and heartbreak on the hill than significant wins. Pitt saved its best work for the road.

Same. But I loved every minute of watching those games.

For some reason, the game that sticks out the most to me was a loss to Miami in the rain. Ironhead was a menace. Miami's secondary was abused over and over again trying to tackle him.

What was the best Pitt game at Pitt Stadium and/or Three Rivers Stadium? By best, I mean most competitive, most exciting.
My first game 1956 PITT vs. Army. Pitt won 20-6. I loved every minute of the game. Watch the knights march onto the field, (really something to see as an 8 year old). While waiting for the streetcar with my dad to go home Army cadets picked me up on their shoulders and carried me down the street. Great time with my dad and PITT won. That was one of my very special days.

Same. But I loved every minute of watching those games.

For some reason, the game that sticks out the most to me was a loss to Miami in the rain. Ironhead was a menace. Miami's secondary was abused over and over again trying to tackle him.
37-10 loss but it was fun in the monsoon. That was one helluva Miami team. The Canes borrowed aqua rain capes from the Dolphins. You would never see that today.

1996 vs Temple. Pitt leads then has to rally to win 53-52.

To me this was rock bottom. Temple was worse than Pitt if it was possible at this point in time.

I don't know what was worse, the 10,000 ppl there (just guessing, hell it could have been 2,000 at the end) celebrating or Ron Dickerson so down and out they lost that he quit in the post game only to change his mind.

I'm being a smarta$$ with the temple game so I'll go with 87 vs ND. Started out as a rout then ended as a nail biter with a glimpse ahead to the Irish 1988 national championship season with Tony Rice.

Sorry but 1970 Pitt-WVU game is the correct answer ( Final 36-35 after Pitt down 35-8 at half. WVU ranked in top 15— Pitt had 3 straight one win seasons before 1970 etc).
Only 2 of you got this question right. Shame!

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Pitt 0
Fordham 0

One of the greatest games ever played, anywhere

Fordham+Football+Team+1936.jpg

To me this was rock bottom. Temple was worse than Pitt if it was possible at this point in time.

I don't know what was worse, the 10,000 ppl there (just guessing, hell it could have been 2,000 at the end) celebrating or Ron Dickerson so down and out they lost that he quit in the post game only to change his mind.

I'm being a smarta$$ with the temple game so I'll go with 87 vs ND. Started out as a rout then ended as a nail biter with a glimpse ahead to the Irish 1988 national championship season with Tony Rice.
Yeah, the posters musing over which game of the 70s have an enjoyable dilemma. MY prime of Pitt Stadium games began in the mid 80s so "highlights" were few and far between.

I remember, 86 maybe, our opener was Northern Iowa. I remember the annoyance and embarrassment of playing such a terrible team. And we "only" beat em 31-7 (or something like that). I recall in the Pitt News, the admin was kinda apologetic, that something fell through with the REAL opponent we were supposed to play, and they had to scramble to fill it with team. The insinuation that, don't worry, we wont be playing rotten garbage like this in the future. o_O

But little did we know (or maybe we should have) that things were just gonna go downhill from there, both quality of schedule and quality of team. Not only would we (and other top programs) be playing crap teams like NI regularly but strugglle with em (at least, we would).

Of course playing good teams could be painful too. I started going when we played tough teams like Oklahoma and BYU at home... and got stomped. Humbled by the most homo-est named QB of modern times (Robbie Bosco).

And playing quality teams in the lowly 90s... ugh. 60-6, 53-12, and of course 72-0 (though that wasn't at home...I guess that made the difference). So thankfully we did have Villanova or SW Louisiana on the schedule. The Pirates certainly would enjoy playing 8 series or so with Manatee University and have them count as real wins in the regular season.

But anyway, that Temple game ... I was there and to the end! Because it was HILARIOUS. Like what might happen if the Washington Generals (football version) played each other. So yeah, in a warped way, it IS a highlight game of Pitt stadium, at least my era.

Last edited:
One of my favorites, because it was so fun to watch was Wlat's coaching debut. Pistol Pete put other team's on notice and it was Wlat's first game at Pitt. The final game against WVU clinching a 6-6 record the bowl berth was very satisfying, as well. Expectations were very, very low then.

37-10 loss but it was fun in the monsoon. That was one helluva Miami team. The Canes borrowed aqua rain capes from the Dolphins. You would never see that today.

I had been going to a few games a year with my parents since the mid 70's, but that was the first "big" opponent that my dad bought tickets for me and a friend. Super rainy, pretty cold, but so much fun. We wore garbage bags as rain coats. I remember getting coffee at the stadium to try and warm up. It tasted so bad I haven't had a cup since! Fun day for a 15 year old!

Great fun!

I think your memory is a little faulty on this one. That game was during Bowden’s 1st season at WVU, he wouldn’t leave until 6 seasons later for FSU and he definitely wasn’t fired after upsetting Pitt that final season and finishing up with a bowl win.

The 10-0 game over PSU definitely my favorite, but I understand the allure of the 37-10 loss in the rain to Miami. That Hurricane team was loaded with future NFL players and Ironhead literally ran all over them. Game was closer than the final score indicated and would’ve been even closer had Pitt managed to mount any kind of passing game.

I think your memory is a little faulty on this one. That game was during Bowden’s 1st season at WVU, he wouldn’t leave until 6 seasons later for FSU and he definitely wasn’t fired after upsetting Pitt that final season and finishing up with a bowl win.

The 10-0 game over PSU definitely my favorite, but I understand the allure of the 37-10 loss in the rain to Miami. That Hurricane team was loaded with future NFL players and Ironhead literally ran all over them. Game was closer than the final score indicated and would’ve been even closer had Pitt managed to mount any kind of passing game.

I haven't been able to find a box score online for that Miami game but I remember sitting in the pouring rain wearing a Glad garbage bag for a poncho (worked pretty well considering) as the water just rolled down the stadium steps. Ironhead was tremendous that day.

Yeah, you're right.
I remember reading how WVU fans were so pi$$ed at Bowden they were banging on the locker room door after the game.
He paid PItt back a few years later ruining a perfect season for PItt under Sherrill. Hope I remember that one right!

Sad part of being a Pitt fan is the lack of come from behind thrilling victories. Mostly I remember smoking weed “on the ramp” and blowing smoke towards the Temple coaching staff huddled outside that cinder block locker room. It must’ve helped them. Arians outcoached Gottfried (again) and won easily. </sigh>

Pitt’s victory over the Cuse in 76 was a hell of a game....but for Al Romano’s stopping the Cuse QB on a short yardage play late in the game the Panthers may have had their first loss. The game was a tense nail biter and everyone was greatly relieved Pitt got out of that game alive.

Reactions: jtbuba
I had been going to a few games a year with my parents since the mid 70's, but that was the first "big" opponent that my dad bought tickets for me and a friend. Super rainy, pretty cold, but so much fun. We wore garbage bags as rain coats. I remember getting coffee at the stadium to try and warm up. It tasted so bad I haven't had a cup since! Fun day for a 15 year old!
Coffee is no better at HF... might have been brought from the old stadium!

Rock bottom was BLOWING a 20-0 halftime head against the Owls in 1998 and losing 34-33. One of the three games I've missed since 1982.

Rock bottom was BLOWING a 20-0 halftime head against the Owls in 1998 and losing 34-33. One of the three games I've missed since 1982.

I still think 96 was worse even though they rallied to win. That team was coming off beatings from Ohio State and Miami and was outscored like 130-3 or something like that. That was the most somber season I can remember from going to games or just talking about the team.

At least in 98 they were coming off a bowl game and a winning season so Walt was pretty much given a pass for 98 which most knew was going to be a long year and accepted it.

I can still remember jumping down like an idiot celebrating that Temple comeback. lol

My first Pitt Stadium game was Louisville in 1976. So from there to the stadium's closing, I'll choose the 1987 win over Penn State 10-0 as #1 by far. Runnerup, the 1982 thriller over WVU when Pitt had to rally against a very good, tough Mountaineer squad.

The shutout over PSU at Three Rivers was the best one there since I wasn't at the '76 game.

Louisville game was my first game also. My neighbor and his son took me to the game. I was 10 years old at the time. Couldn’t believe how amazing Tony Dorset was. Also was at 87 win over PSU.

1975 ND....The Hawk goes for 303. (The last game was too painful.}
As for 3RS.....pounding the nitwits in 1976. We had 2 bottles of champagne there.

Great fun!

That absolutely did not cost Bobby Bowden his job. That was his first year, he was at WVU 6 years. His final year they finished 9-3, ranked and beat Pitt.

He left WVU for FSU. It was his decision

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT