ADVERTISEMENT

What's always been my idea for announcing the First Four

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
When watching the show, it comes so quick, you forget which teams are left on the board. As diehard fans, we know that if OK St, Vandy, Nevada, or Clemson are announced that we are in trouble but few people really follow that. I'd announce it like "6 seed St. Mary's plays a First Four winner on Friday in Sacramento." Then after the brackets are announced, show a graphic of bubble teams remaining, ask the hosts to pick theirs, go to commercial and announce them one by one. That would be so much more entertaining.

When watching the show, it comes so quick, you forget which teams are left on the board. As diehard fans, we know that if OK St, Vandy, Nevada, or Clemson are announced that we are in trouble but few people really follow that. I'd announce it like "6 seed St. Mary's plays a First Four winner on Friday in Sacramento." Then after the brackets are announced, show a graphic of bubble teams remaining, ask the hosts to pick theirs, go to commercial and announce them one by one. That would be so much more entertaining.
Yea that first 10-15 minutes of the selection show will be the worst because the longer you go without hearing Pitt’s name called while at the same time hearing other bubble teams names called like an Ok St or Nevada before you hear Pitt you are gonna start to get that sick feeling in your stomach that Pitt is not gonna make it. My hope is they get called in the first few brackets tonight early and they aren’t in the very last bracket called. We are gonna have a pretty good idea I think halfway through if Pitt’s name is not called by then whether they are gonna get in or not based on what other teams get called before Pitt.

Reactions: cabe23
You're a freaking masochist.

The fans of bubble teams are the most nervous, and so the Dayton teams should be announced first.

You're a freaking masochist.

The fans of bubble teams are the most nervous, and so the Dayton teams should be announced first.

But that doesn't make the best television, and it won't hold the audience the longest. And I hope that we all understand that at the end of the day the selection show is just that, an hour of television that someone is trying to make money off of.

Reactions: Fredact
Yea that first 10-15 minutes of the selection show will be the worst because the longer you go without hearing Pitt’s name called while at the same time hearing other bubble teams names called like an Ok St or Nevada before you hear Pitt you are gonna start to get that sick feeling in your stomach that Pitt is not gonna make it. My hope is they get called in the first few brackets tonight early and they aren’t in the very last bracket called. We are gonna have a pretty good idea I think halfway through if Pitt’s name is not called by then whether they are gonna get in or not based on what other teams get called before Pitt.

When the Pitt women were on the bubble in 2015 they were the last team called. They were down to the last "pod" and there were three automatic qualifiers left and one spot for an at large team. Pitt was literally the last team to have their name called.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
But that doesn't make the best television, and it won't hold the audience the longest. And I hope that we all understand that at the end of the day the selection show is just that, an hour of television that someone is trying to make money off of.

Yea, its supposed to be for ratings but they dont do a good job in making it more suspenseful. With in the first 5 minutes you sometimes hear that this 6 seed plays this play-in winner. Then you get to the end of the show and you have 8 and 9 seeds worried that might not make it because they cant keep track of who's in and who's out. By announcing the First Four last, you really keep an audience and make it more exciting for those last teams in. It also tempers the disappointment of a team who was projected as a Bye.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Yea, its supposed to be for ratings but they dont do a good job in making it more suspenseful. With in the first 5 minutes you sometimes hear that this 6 seed plays this play-in winner. Then you get to the end of the show and you have 8 and 9 seeds worried that might not make it because they cant keep track of who's in and who's out. By announcing the First Four last, you really keep an audience and make it more exciting for those last teams in. It also tempers the disappointment of a team who was projected as a Bye.

But there's nothing suspenseful about it to the majority of their audience.

It's a tourney to crown a champion. Nobody is going to expect a lot from a bubble team.

But there's nothing suspenseful about it to the majority of their audience.

It's a tourney to crown a champion. Nobody is going to expect a lot from a bubble team.

They talk endlessly about bubble teams the last month. Even when we arent on the bubble, I am always super interested to see who made it and who got screwed. Its great TV

They talk endlessly about bubble teams the last month. Even when we arent on the bubble, I am always super interested to see who made it and who got screwed. Its great TV

I think the yearly "Va Tech got screwed" interviews with Seth Greenberg might have laid the groundwork for his ESPN broadcasting career.

I have no sympathy for any of the bubble teams. Most of them will be gone the first weekend and none of them are going to be cutting nets down on a Monday night.

But it is great comedy listening to a coach and a panel of ex-coaches bitch and whine about not getting the chance to play for a championship because he's sure is team is one of the top 68 teams in the country.

I think the yearly "Va Tech got screwed" interviews with Seth Greenberg might have laid the groundwork for his ESPN broadcasting career.

I have no sympathy for any of the bubble teams. Most of them will be gone the first weekend and none of them are going to be cutting nets down on a Monday night.

But it is great comedy listening to a coach and a panel of ex-coaches bitch and whine about not getting the chance to play for a championship because he's sure is team is one of the top 68 teams in the country.
UCLA went from Dayton to the Final Four 3 years ago.

Miami went from bubble and 10 seed to Elite Eight last year.

Bad take.

UCLA went from Dayton to the Final Four 3 years ago.

Miami went from bubble and 10 seed to Elite Eight last year.

Bad take.

That's why I said most, and not all. You occasionally have a Sister Jean or George Mason.

But the lowest seed to win the tourney was Nova at 8 before the shot clock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT