ADVERTISEMENT

Which Steelers coordinator had the worst game plan?

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
A. Todd Haley, who did the following:

- ran a deep hand off to DeAngelo Williams twice in a row with first and goal at the 1.

- followed that up with a pass to Rogers in the flat that wouldnt have been a touchdown even if it was completed

- on third and one in the very first drive of the game, throws a deep ball to stone-hands Sammie Coates, instead of getting the first down and moving the sticks.

- on fourth and goal calls a fade pattern to the 5th best receiver on the team.

B. Keith Butler, who did the following:

- Despite all past evidence in video of every game he has ever played showing that Tom Brady only struggles when you put consistent pressure on him and play man-to-man defense.... went with a 3 man rush and 8 men in a deep zone (essentially a prevent defense) on every passing down.

It is a close call... but i give the nod to Butler. Did he even watch film this week.... at all?

1. Why didn't Nix get into the game to play fullback? He blows people up in short yardage.
  2. Butler's gameplan was worse, but both were bad.

Reactions: VJJPUNISHER
  1. Why didn't Nix get into the game to play fullback? He blows people up in short yardage.
  2. Butler's gameplan was worse, but both were bad.
Tomlin is responsible for both of therir game plans. As long as Belichick is their coach and Tomlin is ours we will never beat that team. They totally out scheme us every time!

Reactions: lawlerdawg
Tomlin is responsible for both of therir game plans. As long as Belichick is their coach and Tomlin is ours we will never beat that team. They totally out scheme us every time!
Maybe goofy Bradshaw was right?

One thing 100% clear.... Tomlin is NO match for NE

- ran a deep hand off to DeAngelo Williams twice in a row with first and goal at the 1.

- followed that up with a pass to Rogers in the flat that wouldnt have been a touchdown even if it was completed

- on third and one in the very first drive of the game, throws a deep ball to stone-hands Sammie Coates, instead of getting the first down and moving the sticks.

- Despite all past evidence in video of every game he has ever played showing that Tom Brady only struggles when you put consistent pressure on him and play man-to-man defense.... went with a 3 man rush and 8 men in a deep zone (essentially a prevent defense) on every passing down.

It is a close call... but i give the nod to Butler. Did he even watch film this week.... at all?
Butler by far.

Steelers were simply outclassed by the far better team, as most of the world expected. Could have been a closer game but there was no way the Steelers were going to win it.

Reactions: OriginalEther
They'll never do it but they really need to clean house from the front office all the way down to the ball boys.

How many times do the Pats have to beat the Steelers before the appropriate response is "They are just better"?

Because they are.

Did coaching, play calling, gameplan, injuries, refs contribute? Sure. But it's not the difference. The difference is a now 16-2 Pats team which is just a lot better than this Steelers team.

The Pats have better coaches, better players, better schemes. They're just better.

How many times do the Pats have to beat the Steelers before the appropriate response is "They are just better"?

Because they are.

Did coaching, play calling, gameplan, injuries, refs contribute? Sure. But it's not the difference. The difference is a now 16-2 Pats team which is just a lot better than this Steelers team.

The Pats have better coaches, better players, better schemes. They're just better.
Mainly better coaching.

If you switch the coaching staffs for these rosters.... Belechik wins still.

He is the kind of coach that will beat yours with his, and will beat his with yours.

Reactions: lawlerdawg

Because they are.

I wouldn't say better players. Most of their roster is made up of guys nobody wanted or on their last leg in the league.

Hate to say it... Belichick is a magician

Mainly better coaching.

He is the kind of coach that will beat yours with his, and will beat his with yours.

Probably true. I think if you switch the QB's the Steelers probably win also.

But the Pats D is severely underrated. Secondary just miles better than the Steelers.

Also, I don't know if it's just Pittsburgh, but after literally every loss, there just doesn't seem to ever be the acceptance that the better team won. They certainly did today.

Reactions: Chomp_Panther66
Trust me, I hate Haley with a passion.....but i'm sure all week the gameplan was to feed Bell the ball as a rb and also as a wr. Him going down about 5 plays into the game sure didn't help his gameplan.

Butler...he just flat out sucked. If you're going to let them run crossing routes against out Lb's...mainly Thimmons...you need to tackle...and we did not.

Oh well, Pats were better and desrved to win. Go draft a WR, MLB and get back to work.

BFo8...what do you think of the SB line?

I know twitter world seems to love Atlanta, but I think this line should be like pats -4, maybe even 4.5. I'm interested to see if it goes up.

Falcons away from the GaDome, bellichik two weeks to prepare...I dunno.

I know twitter world seems to love Atlanta, but I think this line should be like pats -4, maybe even 4.5. I'm interested to see if it goes up.

They are playing in Houston on the same surface they are used to, and in good weather. They clearly have more talent, but the question is how will the players react to playing in their first Super Bowl.

Kinda what I expected actually.

The Super Bowl is one of the few sporting events that public money actually matters, just because of the volume.

When the books open up at 3 unless they get a lot of sharp money on one side right away they aren't moving off of it. If it does move it would probably be up to 3.5.

Since most people who bet on the underdog in these games usually bet their team to win outright rather than with the points, the move is to take the dog with the points while also taking the favorite at the lowest money line you can find, opening up a nice middle for yourself.

The books do all they can to avoid this scenario, but if one could ever get the Falcons at +3.5 while also finding the Patriots ML at better than -160 you are truly getting the best of it.

Reactions: whirlybird optio

Butler by a country mile. This organization needs to start spending some money on defensive free agents in the offseason because we are lacking in key areas and the drafts have not been that productive. They also need to change their defensive philosophy and get players in here that can play solid man to man press coverage. Easier said than done but it's long overdue.

Kinda what I expected actually.

The Super Bowl is one of the few sporting events that public money actually matters, just because of the volume.

When the books open up at 3 unless they get a lot of sharp money on one side right away they aren't moving off of it. If it does move it would probably be up to 3.5.

Since most people who bet on the underdog in these games usually bet their team to win outright rather than with the points, the move is to take the dog with the points while also taking the favorite at the lowest money line you can find, opening up a nice middle for yourself.

The books do all they can to avoid this scenario, but if one could ever get the Falcons at +3.5 while also finding the Patriots ML at better than -160 you are truly getting the best of it.

Any early sharp money come in either way?

Its time to tell DC Butler, LB coach Porter, and DB coach Lake that its time to move in another direction and that there services are no longer needed. We need a 4 front rush that can pressure and we need to rotate players. For 6 years its the same defense against this team. Zone and 3-4 and Pats just carve us up every time. Does the DC ever learn and watch how other teams defend the Pats? Like the Seahawks did or Denver? Straight man on man and hit those receivers and pressure the QB!!

In terms of game plan, Butler takes the cake. They stayed in their incredibly lame zone defense all game and watched Brady shred them. No adjustments. Terrible plan.

I don't think Haley's plan was bad, but once Bell went down, they were clearly in trouble. Play calling was awful.

Cruzer

In terms of game plan, Butler takes the cake. They stayed in their incredibly lame zone defense all game and watched Brady shred them. No adjustments. Terrible plan.

I don't think Haley's plan was bad, but once Bell went down, they were clearly in trouble. Play calling was awful.

Cruzer

3rd in 1 on the first drive should NOT be a deep pass. It worked the first couple tried because nobody expected it....now it seems to be all they do. Gotta stay safe there, move the sticks and keep brady on the bench upset he only got 3 on the first drive.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
Def plan was joke. Off was joke but at least adjusted some. Still Ben was fooled on a few key plays.

I agree there was some poor play calling but if the the Steelers receivers (other than 84 and 17) catch 2 out of 3 of the catchable balls even with the lousy defensive performance the Steeler's would have been competitive.

If I am the owners I sit down with Tomlin and discuss this defensive staff/philosophy, at least to put the current group on notice.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Mainly better coaching.

This isn't just sour grapes hyperbole. I mean, as much as I like me some Dion Lewis, he takes scrap heap guys like that, a bunch of tiny white receivers and a few random punks from Rutgers and turns em into (almost certainly) SB Champs. And he's done the same with countless, nameless players just like those, multiple times. Like last night, the hero was essentially a dude likely no more talented than Chris Wuestner, yet he performed like a HOF receiver. Yes, the steelers secondary is puke, but that was still impressive.

I agree there was some poor play calling but if the the Steelers receivers (other than 84 and 17) catch 2 out of 3 of the catchable balls even with the lousy defensive performance the Steeler's would have been competitive.

If I am the owners I sit down with Tomlin and discuss this defensive staff/philosophy, at least to put the current group on notice.

I like Eli Rogers, even with his costly fumble. Coates just drops too many balls. But then I remember he is probably the fifth receiver when Bryant is back and Wheaton is healthy. The Steelers really need Bryant to come back and contribute a full season. They were too able to lock Brown down last night.

I didn't like the defensive schemes last night. But the damage would have been much less if they actually are making tackles down field. Defense seemed completely unprepared.

Butler had the worst game plan by far. Haley just has no idea what he's doing when they're in the red zone.

God forbid a Pitt coach would be so ill prepared for a game. Tomlin, Butler Haley all performed below the line.But guys like Cook and Starkey ,who sharpen the blades up when Pitt falters ,will be spending the day kissing the Ruineys butts. Such is the local media.

God forbid a Pitt coach would be so ill prepared for a game. Tomlin, Butler Haley all performed below the line.But guys like Cook and Starkey ,who sharpen the blades up when Pitt falters ,will be spending the day kissing the Ruineys butts. Such is the local media.
That's an interesting and cool misspelling of the Steelers' owners' last name. Thumbs up.

That's an interesting and cool misspelling of the Steelers' owners' last name. Thumbs up.
Really this is on Tomlin a good coach who choked in preparation and game day adjustments.This is his team, his defense. Butler should be fired but Tomlin needs to answer for that debacle.

If Pitt played Alabama and lost, I don't think any local media would blame the coaching staff.

I wouldn't say better players. Most of their roster is made up of guys nobody wanted or on their last leg in the league.

Hate to say it... Belichick is a magician
The difference, however, in the quality of the the player who plays the most important position on the field, QB, is enormous. Brady carries his team. Ben blends into the woodwork and isn't a difference maker. He's also at his worst in the red zone..dumb checkoffs, stupid calls. How the hell are you going to beat anyone scoring 17 points? The week before 6 FGs?

Last edited:
Reactions: tetonpanther
I like Ben but never has so much talent been wasted by a coaching staff. Ben is near the end. When this team turns over we are in the words of Full Metal Jacket. " a world of shyte"

Its time to tell DC Butler, LB coach Porter, and DB coach Lake that its time to move in another direction and that there services are no longer needed. We need a 4 front rush that can pressure and we need to rotate players. For 6 years its the same defense against this team. Zone and 3-4 and Pats just carve us up every time. Does the DC ever learn and watch how other teams defend the Pats? Like the Seahawks did or Denver? Straight man on man and hit those receivers and pressure the QB!!
You realize the Pats do the same thing to every defense, right? They have a precision passing offense and with their pre-snap reads and adjustments they clearly know exactly what the defense is going to do before the ball is snapped on every play. Their route tree is unlike anyone else's, it's true geometry. They don't bother with "we need to establish the run" or any of that other dinosaur thinking that leads to a lot of bad down and distance situations. It's the most sophisticated offensive system in the history of the NFL.

I hate them with a passion, and I've been sick of them for about a decade now, but you have to admire who they are and what they do.

Reactions: eastcoasthoops
The difference, however, in the quality of the the player who plays the most important position on the field, QB, is enormous. Brady carries his team. Ben blends into the woodwork and isn't a difference maker. He's also at his worst in the red zone..dumb checkoffs, stupid calls. How the hell are you going to beat anyone scoring 19 points? The week before 6 FGs?
I've been saying this for years and I'll say it again--the difference between Tom Brady and every other QB out there is Bill Belichick. If Tom Brady had been drafted by the Lions or Browns he;d have been out of the NFL a long time ago. Not to take anything away from him but he plays in the best system ever, he never gets touched or even pressured, someone is always wide open, and the ball comes out in 2 seconds every play. He's a great trigger man for that offense in that he is very smart and makes all the right reads pre-snap, but that is primarily a product of a lot of really good coaching as opposed to QB talent.

I've been saying this for years and I'll say it again--the difference between Tom Brady and every other QB out there is Bill Belichick. If Tom Brady had been drafted by the Lions or Browns he;d have been out of the NFL a long time ago. Not to take anything away from him but he plays in the best system ever, he never gets touched or even pressured, someone is always wide open, and the ball comes out in 2 seconds every play. He's a great trigger man for that offense in that he is very smart and makes all the right reads pre-snap, but that is primarily a product of a lot of really good coaching as opposed to QB talent.
It goes deeper than that, I believe. Brady is a master of checking off and he's the most accurate passer I have ever seen. He's also very decisive and makes consistently good decisions. You can't say the same thing about the Steelers' QB. The coaching is, however, as you say, superb.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
It goes deeper than that, I believe. Brady is a master of checking off and he's the most accurate passer I have ever seen. He's also very decisive and makes consistently good decisions. You can't say the same thing about the Steelers' QB. The coaching is, however, as you say, superb.
Yeah, don;t get me wrong, Brady and his skill set are a perfect fit for that system. Just not sure he'd be all that great anywhere else, and I also think there are a lot of guys in the league that would thrive in the Pats system. There has never been an offense like it. As I said, Brady never gets touched, he rarely gets pressured, he gets to make a flat footed throw through a wide open passing lane to a wide open guy within a 3 count of the snap 90% of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT