gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Gordon, Johnson, Hughley, Davis, Omoruyi, Bridges
Alexander, Langford, Curbelo, Stute, Bagley, Collier

Pie in the sky? Dickinson Coleman, Cam Thomas, Timberlake

Who do we get? Do we get any of these?

No Pitt for Bagley.

Very good list @gary2 and I agree with @Tonyt66 that getting 3 would be major recruiting wins for Capel. Hopefully it's the expectation and not the goal. We've been on many of these guys for 1+ years, a semi-promising 2018 OOC/ACC season, young players on the team, so hoping that will give us on an edge on a few of these guys.

Thinking visits will start taking place soon and at the very least, start getting scheduled. Not sure about a commitment before the season begins, but you never know.

Reactions: Tonyt66
Timberlake seems to be leaning away from Pitt, 247 has 6 teams warm and Pitt's not one the them. Rivals has him with 16 offers and all of them are medium. I think Hugley and Gordon will commit and either a JuCo or Transfer.

Kind of agree with you.

IMO, recruiting results will remain less than what fans want until we post a winning season. Hopefully that winning season can happen next season--at a tad over 0.500 with maybe an NIT appearance.

However, such a result cannot be a recruit selling factor until late recruiting for the 2020 class (spring 2020) and for the 2021 class (Nov. 2020 signing period). Whatever November 2019 signing period results (class of 2020) will be based only on what Capel has to sell recruits with today.

IMO, recruiting results will remain less than what fans want until we post a winning season. Hopefully that winning season can happen next season--at a tad over 0.500 with maybe an NIT appearance.

However, such a result cannot be a recruit selling factor until late recruiting for the 2020 class (spring 2020) and for the 2021 class (Nov. 2020 signing period). Whatever November 2019 signing period results (class of 2020) will be based only on what Capel has to sell recruits with today.

I agree with the "winning season" concept. Elite recruits IMO are not going to be part of
a rebuilding process. They're good enough to go to a top program and see playing
time, so the early "playing time" we have to offer is basically meaningless.
The one factor that would induce an elite recruit to go to a rebuilding school, would be
the coach. Those coaches are the Calipari's and the Coach K's. Capel, good as he is, does not have the name recognition and rep of those two. He is good enough to
have these elites at least considering us at this point. A few winning seasons along with perceived program improvement will get it done for Capel IMO.
Personally, I like what Capel is doing and the way he's doing it.

Last edited:
Believe the priority remains post players. In the near term (2020 & 2021) we can fail to recruit-over the guards and wings we now have on the roster and it will have little effect on W-L outcomes, IMHO. On the other hand, the most effective way to improve W-L outcomes would be to recruit major immediate post position upgrades over Brown and Chukwuka in the 2020 and 2021 classes.

Believe the priority remains post players. In the near term (2020 & 2021) we can fail to recruit-over the guards and wings we now have on the roster and it will have little effect on W-L outcomes, IMHO. On the other hand, the most effective way to improve W-L outcomes would be to recruit major immediate post position upgrades over Brown and Chukwuka in the 2020 and 2021 classes.
How wide does the net appear to be for post players? Are there 10 post players we are known to be involved with?

After last years failure, I am sure we have learned our lesson and have multiple backup options.

We get none. We need to become a tourney team and increase our perception before we get any of these guys.

How wide does the net appear to be for post players? Are there 10 post players we are known to be involved with?

After last years failure, I am sure we have learned our lesson and have multiple backup options.

I really don't know how Capel could have done much better considering the circumstances that he had to inherit. As far as this next recruiting year I believe
much of it will be a result of how much we improve as a team, especially our
Bigs. If Brown has a great year, and really shows improvement, that will definitely
send a message. If Hamilton shows he was a good addition, that will also send
a message. Capel will now have a much better time frame in which to build
relationships (he didn't have that last year). Relationships can only go so far
though. We're going to have to show improvement. If we don't...why would any
of these better players pick Pitt?
With that said, I believe we'll be better. I'm hoping for a far improved year
from our Bigs. Can we get elite Bigs in here next year?....maybe not. If we
don't, I'd at least expect to see a jump from Coulibaly and see Capel get
at least two as good or better. As the team and program improve, so will
the signing of better Bigs. It takes time. We're not dealing with Calipari,
Coach K, or Bobby Knight here at Pitt. I feel we're on the right track
with Capel.

I really don't know how Capel could have done much better considering the circumstances that he had to inherit. As far as this next recruiting year I believe
much of it will be a result of how much we improve as a team, especially our
Bigs. If Brown has a great year, and really shows improvement, that will definitely
send a message. If Hamilton shows he was a good addition, that will also send
a message. Capel will now have a much better time frame in which to build
relationships (he didn't have that last year). Relationships can only go so far
though. We're going to have to show improvement. If we don't...why would any
of these better players pick Pitt?
With that said, I believe we'll be better. I'm hoping for a far improved year
from our Bigs. Can we get elite Bigs in here next year?....maybe not. If we
don't, I'd at least expect to see a jump from Coulibaly and see Capel get
at least two as good or better. As the team and program improve, so will
the signing of better Bigs. It takes time. We're not dealing with Calipari,
Coach K, or Bobby Knight here at Pitt. I feel we're on the right track
with Capel.
How many bigs have we currently targeted for the early signing period?

How many are realistic possibities? What would be your guess as to the percentage we land two in the early signing period?

How many are realistic possibities? What would be your guess as to the percentage we land two in the early signing period?

Even if Pitt feels good about where they stand with Omoruyi and Hughley, even if they have been given some assurances, they better have backup choices ready.

We can't afford to be over confident and fooled again.

I have no idea "how many Bigs we're targeting for the early signing period." I don't follow it all that closely. As to my "guess as to the percentage we land in the early signing period"...again no idea. I hope Capel lands those he's targeting.
My sense is, the better Bigs are going to wait for some tangible evidence that the program is getting better, and winning more. They're probably also going to watch
how our current Bigs perform. Just my take on it as I watch this program develop.
I feel good about what Capel is doing and how he's going about it.

I have no idea "how many Bigs we're targeting for the early signing period." I don't follow it all that closely. As to my "guess as to the percentage we land in the early signing period"...again no idea. I hope Capel lands those he's targeting.
My sense is, the better Bigs are going to wait for some tangible evidence that the program is getting better, and winning more. They're probably also going to watch
how our current Bigs perform. Just my take on it as I watch this program develop.
I feel good about what Capel is doing and how he's going about it.

Per 247 we have offered 6 Centers and 6 Power Forwards for 2020.

It's John Hugley even though it's spelled Hughley on some sites.

Baloney. How did Illinois land so many good recruits?
Better recruiters? Their top assistant is Orlando Antigua. If you don’t think he knows how to play the AAU and recruiting game better than any of our coaches then your crazy. I have looked at every other assistant coaching staff every time we have lost a recruit to a college similar to ours. We have by the least experienced and AAU connected recruiters compared to every single college team we have lost a recruit to in the 2019 class. And many were staffs that had been at their new college for 3 years or less.

Last edited:
I think Elijah Taylor is a priority big for Pitt now. More realistic and has been playing well on the circuit.

Similar size and rating as Coulibaly and looks more like a forward rather than a center candidate for ACC competition--Here is his 247 link:

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Elijah-Taylor-111092/RecruitInterests/

He would seem to be a decent get; but, IMHO, we need someone bigger in height and/or width to fill our ACC Center needs unless he has well above average hops or wingspan relative to his height.

Landing Hugley and/or Omoruyi would seem to be far more important.

This class will be interesting to see what happens now. The staff was on a a few of these higher profile guys really early and now they are blowing up with the Blue Bloods.

Omoruyi, RJ Davis, Henry Coleman, Mark Williams, Earl Timberlake, Puff Johnson, Curbelo, Dickinson and even Hugley holds offers from Blue Bloods or Near Blue Bloods like MSU/Florida.

I still would be happy with the 2020 class if it looks something like this, Hugley, DJ Gordon, Demarr Langford and one of the PG's - Davis/Farrakhan/Hoggard/Curbelo/Lane. I know a lot of posters different places are thinking 2020 will be our 5 star studded class but I think we are going to need more success.

I am hoping that a Timberlake or Davis or Puff or Omoruyi that we have been on for a long time chooses us but not overly optimistic that they will.

Landing Hugley and/or Omoruyi would seem to be far more important.

Hugley is probably a top 3 guy for me. Have been on him the longest, multiple unofficials visiting Pitt, rugged bruiser down low. The Big 10 schools worry me.

From @Ajntrw list above, getting 2-3 of those guys is huuuuge. New names will emerge and Pitt will prioritize them. Just too many big offers/blue bloods unfortunately.

Yeah, the dream class for 2020 IMO is Davis, Gordon, Puff, Hugley, and Omoruyi. That would fill almost every hole on the roster going into the 2020-21 season with a bunch of high end talent.

That said, I think a class of Davis, Gordon, Hugley, and Taylor would still propel us upward in a very big way, fill a whole bunch of holes while also being a pretty realistic goal class. Gotta get Davis on campus now that he’s blown up, but I think there’s a lot to sell him about his potential role here.

Again, getting 2-3 of those guys should be the goal..Bare minimum of 2..4* prospects right there. Things need to happen for this class, it's a big one.

Even if Pitt feels good about where they stand with Omoruyi and Hughley, even if they have been given some assurances, they better have backup choices ready.

We can't afford to be over confident and fooled again.

I wouldn’t be putting too much time into either guy. I think they’re both headed to bigger brand programs, unfortunately. As someone noted earlier, it would be wise for us to focus on bigs that may be a bit lower on the food chain now versus having to scramble in late winter/spring as we did this year

The guy I will continue to bang on the table for is Hassan Diarra. He’s a throwback guard that has really developed his scoring ability to go with defense/toughness. I know we had initial interest during the Akok recruitment, so I hope that’s a guy we target.

Reactions: singregardless
Hopefully, not one of these guys.

1. D_hiTBrXkAAa2WN.jpg

I wouldn’t be putting too much time into either guy. I think they’re both headed to bigger brand programs, unfortunately. As someone noted earlier, it would be wise for us to focus on bigs that may be a bit lower on the food chain now versus having to scramble in late winter/spring as we did this year

The guy I will continue to bang on the table for is Hassan Diarra. He’s a throwback guard that has really developed his scoring ability to go with defense/toughness. I know we had initial interest during the Akok recruitment, so I hope that’s a guy we target.

Our best bet is if either or both of those guys don't commit anywhere in November. Then if we manage that winning season with maybe an NIT run we will have a better shot at signing them in the spring since we will have demonstrated the program is moving up.

In any event, I don't believe Capel will burn all or most available ships in November on lesser talent than those two guys if they commit elsewhere for November as long as he believes he can land better plan Bs in the spring than in November.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elsalvador
I think/believe Capel will "swing for the fences" as long as he can, until maybe the Spring comes (and hopefully it doesn't come to it and the scrambling happens) and then he throws out some offers at recruits in 2020. Yes, I'd like Davis, Cliff, Hugley, whomever else high on the list to commit to Pitt, but whoever doesn't, let's hope they commit earlier than later, so we're not dragged too much into the Spring.

Reactions: gary2
I think/believe Capel will "swing for the fences" as long as he can, until maybe the Spring comes (and hopefully it doesn't come to it and the scrambling happens) and then he throws out some offers at recruits in 2020. Yes, I'd like Davis, Cliff, Hugley, whomever else high on the list to commit to Pitt, but whoever doesn't, let's hope they commit earlier than later, so we're not dragged too much into the Spring.

Ideally we sign a quality big or two (like Hugley and/or Omoryui) in the fall; but if we don't, judging by last year, I believe Capel will be willing to wait until the spring once again.

The only thing that would worry me would be if there is a strike out in November and we then don't have a better season than last so that we don't have more recruiting "juice" in the spring (and for the 2021 class in the fall of 2020). That scenario would present a major setback and potential disaster for the entire program rebuild should it occur. Hopefully things will not go down that way.

Reactions: Elsalvador
Ideally we sign a quality big or two (like Hugley and/or Omoryui) in the fall; but if we don't, judging by last year, I believe Capel will be willing to wait until the spring once again.

The only thing that would worry me would be if there is a strike out in November and we then don't have a better season than last so that we don't have more recruiting "juice" in the spring (and for the 2021 class in the fall of 2020). That scenario would present a major setback and potential disaster for the entire program rebuild should it occur. Hopefully things will not go down that way.
My suggestion would be to take the first big you deem "acceptable". That way you have something in hand. It makes it a little easier to then shoot for the stars.

What you don't want to do is pass on players who improve the program with the hope of adding players better than they are.

Reach can't exceed grasp.

My suggestion would be to take the first big you deem "acceptable". That way you have something in hand. It makes it a little easier to then shoot for the stars.

What you don't want to do is pass on players who improve the program with the hope of adding players better than they are.

Reach can't exceed grasp.

This would be my optimum course of action. Omoruyi is going to wait for UK until that door is shut, which won’t be until Spring depending on who they lose/pick up. They did a great job isolating Hughley early, but the more schools like Louisville that get in the door, the harder it is for me to see a happy ending there.

Every school in the country is chasing top-50/100 guys right now. Lock in on the underrated/under-recruited kids now before the big boys come calling mid-year after the top tier or two commit elsewhere

Reactions: Tonyt66 and gary2
Hugley is probably a top 3 guy for me. Have been on him the longest, multiple unofficials visiting Pitt, rugged bruiser down low. The Big 10 schools worry me.

From @Ajntrw list above, getting 2-3 of those guys is huuuuge. New names will emerge and Pitt will prioritize them. Just too many big offers/blue bloods unfortunately.
From the Cheap Seats; maybe Capel can get Billy Fuccillo to recruit these guys. HUUUUGE!

It's obviously easier to land top rated recruits if your a winning program and Pitt is several seasons away from being a winning program and serious post season contender ( hopefully ) . What Pitt needs is for one highly rated guy and his family/handlers to fall in luv with JC or one of his assitants . Getting the first one is the toughist and hopefully others will follow . Sooner or later it will happen for JC he has what it takes to recruit these game changer guys .

Love the update from Corey Evans Twitter Tuesday article today. That we are in good shape with Hugley and Jalen Bridges and DJ Gordon. Disappointed a little but not surprised about where we stand with Puff Johnson.

If we land those first three and then anyone of the PG targets- Davis/Curbelo/Hoggard or another big - Omoruyi/Key/Stute -- would be an incredible class for 2020.

Love the update from Corey Evans Twitter Tuesday article today. That we are in good shape with Hugley and Jalen Bridges and DJ Gordon. Disappointed a little but not surprised about where we stand with Puff Johnson.

If we land those first three and then anyone of the PG targets- Davis/Curbelo/Hoggard or another big - Omoruyi/Key/Stute -- would be an incredible class for 2020.
Yeah, definitely hard not to be encouraged by what Evans said with Hugley. He’s exactly the kind of rugged post player that would thrive in this program.

I said it before, but a class of just Hugley, Gordon and Davis would be massive for this program. To potentially add a guy like Bridges, Key, or Stute as the fourth member of the class would be absolutely fantastic. If Hugley were to potentially look to commit late this summer or early this fall, it’d give a huge shot of momentum.

It's obviously easier to land top rated recruits if your a winning program and Pitt is several seasons away from being a winning program and serious post season contender ( hopefully ) . What Pitt needs is for one highly rated guy and his family/handlers to fall in luv with JC or one of his assitants . Getting the first one is the toughist and hopefully others will follow . Sooner or later it will happen for JC he has what it takes to recruit these game changer guys .

"Pitt is several seasons away from being a winning program and serious post season contender . . . "

Hopefully you are wrong on the part highlighted. Not good if we are not close to or just over 0.500 this season and up to 20 win seasons by 2020-2021.

"Pitt is several seasons away from being a winning program and serious post season contender . . . "

Hopefully you are wrong on the part highlighted. Not good if we are not close to or just over 0.500 this season and up to 20 win seasons by 2020-2021.
Pitt could have a winming season this yr , but what I want is a winning conference record . Penciling in 10-12 OOC wins over the little sisters of the poor teams doesnt fool anyone . You want to beat ACC teams out for recruits you need to beat them on the court first !
It will happen I believe just be patient . Patience is 2 more yrs !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT