ADVERTISEMENT

Why coaching matters

columbus mike

Freshman
Dec 6, 2002
Sean Miller coaches to pass the ball, get more assists and runs well executed sets.
Capel coaches the dook system of dribble, dribble, shoot, low assists to points. He’s been lucky he found lightening in a bottle this year with some of the shooters. You can’t win long term nor any tournament with that style.

He also has a team that's played together for multiple seasons. This team won the NIT with an interim coach. They are just simply further along than us. Next year will be rough but don't underestimate the effect of having years of chemistry (and having a 26 year old, NBA body in the center). It's not the end of the world losing this game, and we're in a good spot to reload in the Transfer and late recruiting window.

He also has a team that's played together for multiple seasons. This team won the NIT with an interim coach. They are just simply further along than us. Next year will be rough but don't underestimate the effect of having years of chemistry (and having a 26 year old, NBA body in the center). It's not the end of the world losing this game, and we're in a good spot to reload in the Transfer and late recruiting window.
Also miller shouldn't even be coaching. He's a scum

Also miller shouldn't even be coaching. He's a scum
I have nothing against Miller. The fact that 10 schools were involved in that scandal only prove he was doing what it takes to win. We've been clean, but also don't win as much. It's a trade-off in this sport we have to accept.

I'm not a Miller stan who wants him here but it is frustrating watching the success he's had elsewhere.

I have nothing against Miller. The fact that 10 schools were involved in that scandal only prove he was doing what it takes to win. We've been clean, but also don't win as much. It's a trade-off in this sport we have to accept.

I'm not a Miller stan who wants him here but it is frustrating watching the success he's had elsewhere.
That's just the thing, the NCAA has evidence of these coaches cheating like Miller, Self, Wade, etc and life goes on. Complete joke

That's just the thing, the NCAA has evidence of these coaches cheating like Miller, Self, Wade, etc and life goes on. Complete joke
Life has gone on, and that era of hoops is gone now. We just have to hope we adjust positively to NIL and transfer era (which it looks like we are). We made the second round of the tournament on the backs of cast offs, undersized and undeveloped athletes. Capel better string together success from what he's learned this season if we're able to corral higher quality athletes (not contending our players aren't skilled, just that a 6' point guard, 6'3 back down guard, and two 200 lb 7 footers aren't as developed as a team like Xavier).

Sean Miller coaches to pass the ball, get more assists and runs well executed sets.
Capel coaches the dook system of dribble, dribble, shoot, low assists to points. He’s been lucky he found lightening in a bottle this year with some of the shooters. You can’t win long term nor any tournament with that style.
Same old bullshit. When we lose, we blame it on the coach.

If you have the matchup’s you can win any way. There is no set way to winning in this tournament, so your major premise is wrong.

Xavier just had advantages at most of the positions. JB likes to win off the dribble, but Xavier had a few bigger guys who could guard him.

I don't necessarily agree with this take. Sean Miller has always had really good players. When Capel had elite talent at OU he went to the Elite 8.
And Miller has sucked in the tourney over the years with better players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffburgh
Same old bullshit. When we lose, we blame it on the coach.

If you have the matchup’s you can win any way. There is no set way to winning in this tournament, so your major premise is wrong.

Xavier just had advantages at most of the positions. JB likes to win off the dribble, but Xavier had a few bigger guys who could guard him.
Playing that way when you need a basket is one thing. Playing that way trip after trip is another.

Can we agree we were at our best when we were quickly moving the ball?

(And I am blaming Burton ,not the coach, that said Burton was a force and the heart of this team)

Last edited:
Pitt this year was best moving the ball for open shots, They were at their worse when individual players tried to carry the team on their backs and turned it over or lost foul shot focus. Could have won this game, but the season was more than I hoped for. The twins are going to be very good next year with some added muscle. The point is an area of untested concern.

Yes, it’s been clearly shown you can’t win long term with Duke’s style of play. What have they done over an extended period of time ?? We’re doomed to the same failures they have had over the last 20 years.

Xavier is a very experienced team with high major players at all positions. Give them their due.

I don't care about them now. I care about Pitt going into next year. We have a couple of pieces returning if they don't transfer, namely the Diaz-Graham's, Fede and Hinson. We have a few recruits that may or may not be here (including Johnson, if he stays), and I'm certain we'll make some noise in the portal. We're going to need a couple of experienced guards and at least one experienced 5 to compete. If the incoming freshmen are here, they'll need time to adjust and make an impact. We'll see if Capel can build a team from those building blocks again next year.

Reactions: gary2
Xavier is a very experienced team with high major players at all positions. Give them their due.

I don't care about them now. I care about Pitt going into next year. We have a couple of pieces returning if they don't transfer, namely the Diaz-Graham's and Hinson. We have a few recruits that may or may not be here (including Johnson, if he stays), and I'm certain we'll make some noise in the portal. We're going to need a couple of experienced guards and at least one experienced 5 to compete. If the incoming freshmen are here, they'll need time to adjust and make an impact. We'll see if Capel can build a team from those building blocks again next year.
Yep, as much as JC saved himself this year, I'm not sure how much more leash it will give him. The pressure is still going to be on to move things forward. We still need better talent than we had this year, and he needs to prove this wasn't a "one-hit wonder."

Reactions: 303vND
Too many missed shots with nobody under the net. Xavier shot lights out in the first half and their D smothered PITT's shooters. Unexpected season by the Panthers.

Playing that way when you need a basket is one thing. Playing that way trip after trip is another.

Can we agree we were at our best when we were quickly moving the ball?

(And I am blaming Burton ,not the coach, that said Burton was a force and the heart of this team)

Yes - This style wasn’t what I saw all year. I saw good ball movement and finding open guys. So this thread topic is kind of flawed because we have been that team.

Not sure what changed. It appeared to me that JB forced too much, but it also could be fewer guys open.

The net result was it just seemed like we weren’t spreading looks around like we were.

Why? Doesn't have to be.
Doesn't have to be, but when you lose 3 of 5 starters, 4 of 6 meaningful players, there is normally a regression.

I'm hoping we fill the gaps created by this in the Transfer Portal, but we need to parlay this season's performance into more athletically gifted players. We have a nice recruiting class, but we need to find adequate experienced players.

Doesn't have to be, but when you lose 3 of 5 starters, 4 of 6 meaningful players, there is normally a regression.

I'm hoping we fill the gaps created by this in the Transfer Portal, but we need to parlay this season's performance into more athletically gifted players. We have a nice recruiting class, but we need to find adequate experienced players.
True that and maybe Jeffress comes back better.

There are at least 4 “meaningful” players scheduled to come back, not 2. And two more that were thought to be meaningful could be back in the mix. And that’s without incoming freshmen or portal.

I think this is a program changing season. Might not be a change back to consistent top 10 - but a change to relevant basketball.

There are at least 4 “meaningful” players scheduled to come back, not 2. And two more that were thought to be meaningful could be back in the mix. And that’s without incoming freshmen or portal.

I think this is a program changing season. Might not be a change back to consistent top 10 - but a change to relevant basketball.
Agree, but only if we score in the portal.

Blow this recruiting season, it is unlikely we are ACC top half.

• Sad
Reactions: PittPoker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT