ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Capel discontinue City game

Only the old timers care about it.

And schedule much more full now than when Howland / Dixon were here. 20 conference games. Hoopies. 2 in MTE, Challenge game.

Plus those MTE events usually assign us 2-3 Q4 games

Reactions: FireballZ
Personally I’d like to play Duquesne every year. We can make it work with our schedule. Villanova never shied away from playing the City 6.

Actually they kind of did.

At one point they told the other schools if they wanted them to continue playing all those games at the Palestra they were out. They only continue playing those games because they can play many of them either on campus or at Wells Fargo.

For instance this year they played three of those games, one at the Palestra, one on campus, and one at Wells. Last year they played two of them on campus. Basically, they told the other schools that if they didn't get what they wanted they wouldn't be playing them any more.

In what has been a tough week for Pitt sports, why not have Duquesne in the tourney. They won’t even have to go to Dayton.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Many more people care about that game than care about all of Pitt's other non-P6 ooc games.

As I said before, people at least talk about that game for a day or two leading up to it and for the day after. People don't talk about a game against NC A&T even on the day that it happens. If you are lucky, you might get a mention on the local television channels. And you'll get a little story on the local web sites. And nothing more.

Reactions: brickfhouse

Says it all, since 1981. That’s 43 years ago.

Pitt is already getting badgered about OOC SOS.
Just very hard to anticipate in advance when a bottom feeder might have a fluke year?
Don’t care. Didn’t know this was a thing when I was a student. Wouldn’t know it’s a thing now but for folks whining on here.

Started as the Steel Bowl where Pitt and Duquesne winner would Play the winner of the 2 invited teams. In 1970 it was UCLA and Pitt hung in there before losing 70-58.

Deprived fans of great tradition. I recall days Duquesne was elite for many years yet they never dropped Pitt’s pathetic team at the time.So stupid. Pitt would be in better position for Tourney.
No offense, but you must be pretty old to have experienced a time when Duquesne was elite and Pitt was pathetic. It’s literally been almost 60 years.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Started as the Steel Bowl where Pitt and Duquesne winner would Play the winner of the 2 invited teams. In 1970 it was UCLA and Pitt hung in there before losing 70-58.
Right. I was there. In 1971/72 Billy Knight played his 1st varsity game at home for Pitt. Vs UNC. Pitt lost by 12. Was there for that one, too.

The following year, Pitt played at Pauley Pavilion and lost a VERY competitive game to UCLA. Knight scored something like 35 points. John Wooden said it was the best game an opposing player had played there in his tenure up to that time.

Saw Mooney at the Pete last year. Completely by accident. Him and Terry walked into the stands right in front of me. Shook hands and said hello. He looked GREAT!

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Red Manning - Martin twins and Jarrett Durham
No doubt those were good Duquesne teams. I guess my point is the old Duquesne was great Pitt was horrible dialogue from back then is a little overblown. Pitt was lousy between 1964-69, but other than that was a mediocre to good team in the times before and after those years.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Duquesne is Pitt's fifth most played opponent, after West Virginia, Penn State, Syracuse and Carnegie Mellon.
I think in addition to our screen names here, we should put our age behind it; so it provides some added context to our posts/replies. I'm Chairman Moe 71 ... and while I didn't grow up in the 'Burgh, I definitely knew when Duquesne was a better basketball program than Pitt

I think in addition to our screen names here, we should put our age behind it; so it provides some added context to our posts/replies. I'm Chairman Moe 71 ... and while I didn't grow up in the 'Burgh, I definitely knew when Duquesne was a better basketball program than Pitt

I'm 59, so I can remember Duquesne being better, but by the time I got to Pitt they were in the process of leaving Duquesne behind, competitively.

But I still think that there is no reason for them to not be playing every year. And Robert Morris as well.

Almost as amazing as Duquesne’s NCAA-less streak is the fact this is the first time they’ve won at least 23 games since 1953. Granted teams didn’t play as many games back then but it is still incredible that it’s been 70 years.

Keith offered to play at the Pete, which we should’ve declined. He offered to give Pitt the entire gate at Consol, which we should’ve obliged. Neutral court home game where we take in 25k is better than flying in SC State and Jacksonville pay them 100k for a win that ruins our Non conference SOS. I have my theories why, but one would definitely be that Capel hates Keith for his early 90’s incident

Actually they kind of did.

At one point they told the other schools if they wanted them to continue playing all those games at the Palestra they were out. They only continue playing those games because they can play many of them either on campus or at Wells Fargo.

For instance this year they played three of those games, one at the Palestra, one on campus, and one at Wells. Last year they played two of them on campus. Basically, they told the other schools that if they didn't get what they wanted they wouldn't be playing them any more.
They still played them though...that is the bottom line.

And now even with expanded conference schedules, added Drexel and play them in pods so they've never destroyed the tradition of the Big 5.

Keith offered to play at the Pete, which we should’ve declined. He offered to give Pitt the entire gate at Consol, which we should’ve obliged. Neutral court home game where we take in 25k is better than flying in SC State and Jacksonville pay them 100k for a win that ruins our Non conference SOS. I have my theories why, but one would definitely be that Capel hates Keith for his early 90’s incident
Hmmm, your theory would fit the MO of other petty coaching miffs that have kept other serieses from being played.

Still, it should be played, and it should be bigger than whomever is coaching.

Is there a reason Duquesne doesn’t play Robert Morris anymore?

They still played them though...that is the bottom line.

And now even with expanded conference schedules, added Duqusene and play them in pods so they've never destroyed the tradition of the Big 5.

Yeah, but they only play them on their terms. They don't play all of them every year, and they play most of them at home rather than at the Palestra.

If the other schools didn't give Villanova what they wanted, Villanova wouldn't play them any more. Which, don't get me wrong, is Villanova's right. They are the only one of those schools that anyone outside of the locals cares about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT