ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Capel discontinue City game

They should. All three should play each other, IMO.
Let’s have a “Steel City Classic” at PPG Paints each year to start the season:

Thursday night: Pitt vs RMU
Friday night: Duquesne vs RMU
Saturday night: Duquesne vs Pitt

it would have been good how? A Q3/4 win?

GTFOH 😂😂😂🤣😂

Keith offered to play at the Pete, which we should’ve declined. He offered to give Pitt the entire gate at Consol, which we should’ve obliged. Neutral court home game where we take in 25k is better than flying in SC State and Jacksonville pay them 100k for a win that ruins our Non conference SOS. I have my theories why, but one would definitely be that Capel hates Keith for his early 90’s incident
What was the early 90s incident?

Are they like 90 in NET and it would’ve been neutral court? How is beating sub 300 teams like SC State and Jacksonville better?
But you don’t necessarily know when you schedule these lesser OOC teams before the season where they might wind up.

This year? Could’ve worked out well. But you don’t know.

Times have changed though, those two teams haven’t met in quite a while and RMU’s program has pretty much gone into the toilet since then. The move to the Horizon is part of that to be sure, but they weren’t doing very well their last few years in the NEC either.

Times have changed though, those two teams haven’t met in quite a while and RMU’s program has pretty much gone into the toilet since then. The move to the Horizon is part of that to be sure, but they weren’t doing very well their last few years in the NEC either.
OK. So why does Duquesne refuse to play them? Should be a nice win for the Dukes.

Pitt opened up RMU’s new building by playing there.

Duquesne is criticizing Pitt for doing EXACTLY what Duquesne is doing. That’s the definition of hypocrisy.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
OK. So why does Duquesne refuse to play them? Should be a nice win for the Dukes.

Pitt opened up RMU’s new building by playing there.

Duquesne is criticizing Pitt for doing EXACTLY what Duquesne is doing. That’s the definition of hypocrisy.
I’m not disagreeing with your original premise, all 3 of those teams should be playing each other every season.

I’m not disagreeing with your original premise, all 3 of those teams should be playing each other every season.
I’m not disagreeing. But I’m not the decision maker for any of those programs, either.

Think I recall a tournament one year that had Pitt, Duquesne, PSU and WVU back in the day. Only lasted 1 year if I recall.

But times change. People change and relationships change.

All time, Duquesne's record against Robert Morris is only 16-12.

That's the difference between Pitt and Duquesne's views on these series. Pitt's fear of an embarrassing loss to Duquense, given the last 40+ years of history between the two schools, is mostly overblown. Duquesne's fear of losing to Robert Morris, not so much.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Also, Duquesne's media guide doesn't list their games against every opponent separately like Pitt does, but unless I missed one, in the last eight games that they played before Duquesne stopped scheduling them, the tally was Robert Morris 7 wins, Duquesne 1 win.

That's the difference between Pitt and Duquesne's views on these series. Pitt's fear of an embarrassing loss to Duquense, given the last 40+ years of history between the two schools, is mostly overblown. Duquesne's fear of losing to Robert Morris, not so much.
Meanwhile, Pitt is 32-3 in the last 35 games against the Dukes.

I was rooting for DUQ to win the A10 and get in. Good for them and I will root for them.

But I could give a rat's @ss about Pitt playing them. Don't care about that game at all. And playing DUQ this year would NOT have pushed Pitt into the NCAA tourney. That's the dumbest thing on the internet tonight. Yeah, like the selection committee looked at our resume and thought 'man, if they just had a win over Duquesne then they'd be worthy'....lol...that's dumb

Deprived fans of great tradition. I recall days Duquesne was elite for many years yet they never dropped Pitt’s pathetic team at the time.So stupid. Pitt would be in better position for Tourney.

He was afraid of losing. Ironically, this is the ONE year where beating Duq may have helped Pitt.

One of those teams is not located in Western Pennsylvania.
True. Since we already play WVU, a Pitt/WVU/DUQ/RMU round robin might be fun. I don't really care about playing DUQ or RMU, though when we played the first game at RMU's new arena, that was a fun night. Very electric atmosphere for a RMU game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT