ADVERTISEMENT

Why would the Clemson game be blacked out in Chicago??

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
Just checked the espn3 schedule and of course the Pitt game says subject to blackout. I checked where and almost the whole eastern half of the country including 90% of Illinois. What am I missing here?

Does anybody know how long after the game finishes that I'll be able to watch the replay on espn3? Do I have to wait a couple hours or something or is it available to watch right away?

Thanks.
Last time though I was in a blackout area I was able to watch most of the game on my Samsung Galaxy 6S Edge Plus, it was weird. The whole 1st half worked, then I quit out of it during the half and when I tried to watch it once the 2nd half started it said on my phone it is blacked out. Then I restarted my phone and it worked. Wasn't working on my laptop though the whole game. Bizarre.

Good question and I'm not sure if my answer is going to help. It's possible Illinois has a game also tonight and maybe that's why the Pitt game is blocked out. When I lived out of the Pittsburgh area I just listened to Pitt LiveWire App when it wasn't on one of my cable channels.

Yeah thx but it seems like the blackout system is really arbitrary. I found it so strange though that it worked on my phone, then didn't, then did again all in a 2 hour period.

I don't know what you are looking at but the blackout map on the web site does NOT say the game will be blacked out in Chicago.

Just like pretty much always, the game is blacked out on ESPN3 in places where the game is available on an over the aor or cable channel. It theoretically should be blacked out in Pittsburgh because the game is available on Root Pittsburgh. The game is not blacked out in Chicago because no one is Chicago is showing the game.

I don't know what you are looking at but the blackout map on the web site does NOT say the game will be blacked out in Chicago.

Just like pretty much always, the game is blacked out on ESPN3 in places where the game is available on an over the aor or cable channel. It theoretically should be blacked out in Pittsburgh because the game is available on Root Pittsburgh. The game is not blacked out in Chicago because no one is Chicago is showing the game.
No you are wrong. The map has all the places it is blacked out in black and most of Illinois is on there. Go to espn3, click on subject to blackout under the Pitt game and you'll see.

No you are wrong. The map has all the places it is blacked out in black and most of Illinois is on there. Go to espn3, click on subject to blackout under the Pitt game and you'll see.
I guess I'm wrong or can't read a blackout map. It says game is about to begin, stand by so sorry Joe, it's not blacked out.

Poker, I wasn't trying to screw with you. I looked at the map and it showed the Chicago area as getting the game, that's why I posted that. Maybe earlier in the week someone in Chicago was potentially going to show the game and they bailed on it, so they didn't need to black it out.

Reactions: PittPoker
Just checked the espn3 schedule and of course the Pitt game says subject to blackout. I checked where and almost the whole eastern half of the country including 90% of Illinois. What am I missing here?

Does anybody know how long after the game finishes that I'll be able to watch the replay on espn3? Do I have to wait a couple hours or something or is it available to watch right away?

Thanks.
Last time though I was in a blackout area I was able to watch most of the game on my Samsung Galaxy 6S Edge Plus, it was weird. The whole 1st half worked, then I quit out of it during the half and when I tried to watch it once the 2nd half started it said on my phone it is blacked out. Then I restarted my phone and it worked. Wasn't working on my laptop though the whole game. Bizarre.
If it is blacked out, consider yourself lucky.

Reactions: California Panther

Thanks.

Why not?

Blacked out in philly as well for no reason. Move to the acc has been a disaster for fans and alumni on the east side of the state

it looks like there are more competitive in the 2nd half would love to see it

Its proably because the ACC has the game on a channel that your provider doesn't carry.
That bhappened to us for the FSU game.

Thanks.
It is on some low power over-the-air channel that has a picture quality from 1957.
That is why.

Fox Sports South games are blacked out on ESPN3 if RSN in your area bought rights to th game (even if they are showing the game on a tape-delayed basis).

Raycom games usually arent blacked out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT