ADVERTISEMENT

Will levis

Everyone thought all 3 could play at a high level. I don't think there was a unanimous #1 like we saw with Trevor Lawrence in 2021. There were definitely people who had Ben #1. Most common it was probably Eli, Rivers, Ben.
That is my memory of it. And all three of those teams had opportunities to succeed with those guys. Results definitely varied.

Remember when Ryan Leaf was a sure thing? Very few certainties.

I dont think he's better than jurkovec

OK, I didnt want to say that because it can become an all-time bad take but I certainly wouldn't have thought there was much difference between Jurkovec and Levis. And the one is a Top 5 QB and the other was told he wouldn't be drafted

Yeah the NFL has never egregiously overdrafted an unproductive white QB because he can throw a really pretty ball in shorts.

IDK what Levis will be at the next level. I don't think anyone does. But nothing about his resume, to me, indicates that he's a top 5 or even a top 10 pick. There's a good chance that he gets someone fired just like Zach Wilson and Drew Lock did.

How does Levis compare to Josh Allen in your grading system?

How does Levis compare to Josh Allen in your grading system?

Way better, actually. Josh Allen checks almost none of the boxes (only the physical stuff and single season rushing from the production side). I thought he was a huge joke as a top 10 selection and so did pretty much everyone else. It's totally unprecedented to come as far as he has. Even Lamar Jackson - who people said should play RB - was significantly further along as a prospect.

The Levis and Allen college comparisons aren’t entirely fair.

As I noted above, Kentucky has had one season under Stoops where their offense even graded out as a top 50 offense.

That was in 2021 under Liam Coen. Levis graded out with a 90 ranking that year according to PFF. Which is elite QB play.

Coen leaves after 2021, Kentucky’s offense reverts back to where it always has been under Mark “The Destroyer of Offenses”Stoops, and Levi’s’ play suffers as well.

You aren’t really banking on pure physical tools with Levis, as you did with Josh Allen.

What you’re really banking on is he is the elite college player he was in ‘21 under competent offensive direction. Which isn’t as much of a gamble as, “this guy has never shown to be an elite player. But man does he look good in shorts.”

Reactions: Section 509
Honestly, if you run a scheme where the you expect the QB to have a prominent role in the run game, he "MIGHT" be groomed to be a backup in that type of system. It seems those systems need to treat the QB position like the tailback position.
Maybe he can be like the guy at New Orleans - Hill - for one year they kind of did that at pen state

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
He has good traits. But I am skeptical of taking a traits-only QB in the top 5 and then hoping he becomes Josh Allen, which is a 100th percentile outcome that Allen probably only achieved because he also had extraordinary coaching (Daboll in particular) and they traded for a top 5 WR. Indy probably doesn't have either of those things. Vegas has McDaniels, who is ok, and Adams who is 30 years old and has maybe 1-2 more elite seasons in him. And Levis isn't as big or physical as Josh Allen either.

Not saying Levis is a bad QB. But if he is so good why was his most productive season only a fraction of Kenny "hands too small / can't throw it deep" Pickett's? Levis is also turning 24 so he's not young either. I'd take him in the top 20 like Pickett. Certainly not in the top 5.
Agree the counter point would be Levis has all the physical tools required to be a elite QB. He wasn't very good in college but Allen wasn't really either. Someone is going to see the raw tools and try to make a QB out of him

Agree the counter point would be Levis has all the physical tools required to be a elite QB. He wasn't very good in college but Allen wasn't really either. Someone is going to see the raw tools and try to make a QB out of him

I see it that way, too. It's not the way that I would draft a QB - just think it's such a difficult position to evaluate already - but I get that's what is going to happen. I'm totally fine taking a hyper athlete and trying to teach them an easier position like RB (Antonio Gibson) or DL, but QB it's just such a hard position and there's a big jump between college and NFL competition.

Of course, that doesn't mean Levis is off my draft board. He isn't by any stretch. I just wouldn't take him in the top 5 given his tools-only profile.

That sounds like a 3rd rd pick to me not the 5th or 6th pick overall

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT