ADVERTISEMENT

Will USC go after Franklin

pbrad

Sophomore
Sep 27, 2009
They have the money. He can recruit and knows how to hire good assistants. With a good team it is an easier road to the playoff.

They have the money. He can recruit and knows how to hire good assistants. With a good team it is an easier road to the playoff.

Do they? I don't know if they pay ridiculous salaries (at least for coaches!). Franklin makes over $5m and will make over $6m next year. Clay Helton's salary is like Narduzzi's - ~$3.2m.

Somebody should. The guy is a beast. Penn State can match or beat any college or NFL team's offer. They could pay him $15 million/year and not sweat it. So I doubt it.

Rooting against Penn St. is a waste of time. They will never be down for any lengthy period of time in football. They recently stiff armed the biggest scandal in college football history. Their program could be running a narcotics ring, and their fans would just brush it off like it was nothing. They’d still have 100k the next weekend for a game.

Rooting against Penn St. is a waste of time. They will never be down for any lengthy period of time in football. They recently stiff armed the biggest scandal in college football history. Their program could be running a narcotics ring, and their fans would just brush it off like it was nothing. They’d still have 100k the next weekend for a game.
Exactly. If Jimmy Franks would leave, all they would do is dial up Matt Rhule's number.

Conversely, if we had to replace Narduzzi it would be some coordinator who has never coached before and likely has the personality of a block of cheese.

Right but Franklin is recruiting like Ohio State, Bama, and Clemson. I'd like to see someone else start getting late Paterno-type classes.

Somebody should. The guy is a beast. Penn State can match or beat any college or NFL team's offer. They could pay him $15 million/year and not sweat it. So I doubt it.

Just because you keep repeating this does not make it true. There are multiple schools out there that could pay way more than Penn St could ever hope to match if they wanted to.

Texas A&M has boosters that could buy the entire faculty of Penn St University if they decided they wanted to. USC has some guy that’s given $400 million to the school and decided he wanted Al Cowlings name on a dormitory, if that guy wants James Franklin that bad do you really think anyone at PSU has that kind of money just sitting around? Im sure if Phil Knight decided Cristobal had to go and demanded they buy out Franklin there’s nothing PSU could do about it,

USC fans and donors seem all in on Urban Meyer, although I’ve read the school president has supposedly said she does not want him running their football program. Apparently the interest between some at USC and Meyer is mutual, and if that would happen there is your true definition of a home run hire. I think Franklin would bring some improvement to USC, but probably only regionally. However were they to get Urban Meyer I see the Trojans becoming a top 5 type team again almost immediately.

Supposedly there are boosters trying to put something together to lure Meyer to Florida St, but I don’t think he’d be nearly as willing to go there as he would to USC.

Just because you keep repeating this does not make it true. There are multiple schools out there that could pay way more than Penn St could ever hope to match if they wanted to.

Texas A&M has boosters that could buy the entire faculty of Penn St University if they decided they wanted to. USC has some guy that’s given $400 million to the school and decided he wanted Al Cowlings name on a dormitory, if that guy wants James Franklin that bad do you really think anyone at PSU has that kind of money just sitting around? Im sure if Phil Knight decided Cristobal had to go and demanded they buy out Franklin there’s nothing PSU could do about it,

USC fans and donors seem all in on Urban Meyer, although I’ve read the school president has supposedly said she does not want him running their football program. Apparently the interest between some at USC and Meyer is mutual, and if that would happen there is your true definition of a home run hire. I think Franklin would bring some improvement to USC, but probably only regionally. However were they to get Urban Meyer I see the Trojans becoming a top 5 type team again almost immediately.

Supposedly there are boosters trying to put something together to lure Meyer to Florida St, but I don’t think he’d be nearly as willing to go there as he would to USC.

Yes, PSU will match any offer. $15 million per year, $20 million per year, whatever. They print money there.

Yes, PSU will match any offer. $15 million per year, $20 million per year, whatever. They print money there.

Just because Penn St has chosen to devote everything they have to the football program does not mean they have near the firepower of the truly well moneyed big boys if they came calling.

None of them would make Franklin that kind of offer though. Solid coach or not he isn’t in the same class as the Meyers or Saban’s of the world, not even remotely close.

Exactly. If Jimmy Franks would leave, all they would do is dial up Matt Rhule's number.

Conversely, if we had to replace Narduzzi it would be some coordinator who has never coached before and likely has the personality of a block of cheese.
Correct! Franklin is a better recruiter, but Rhule is a better coach. They’d still keep rolling along with him. I refuse to sit there and watch them play. The media and their fans slobbering over them as if the place has changed since the Rape Scandal. The same exact thing would happen all over again if it meant they’d continue winning football games.

Reactions: FayettePittDad

More so the media than the fans. And not just the usual local idiots like cook, Smizik, Hagmen, Junker, etc. It is the national guys who were portraying PSU as the victim also and the NCAA as a big evil bully.

USC has more big donors than PSU (the billionaire GOP container guy, Hollywood producers, etc.) They had Pete Carroll as the highest paid coach in the country about 10 years ago. And schools like Texas and Texas a&m are $50 million a head of PSU in athletic department annual revenue, even before you think about some oil man making a mega donation:
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

I was listening to a Sirius show yesterday and one of the hosts said they would probably go after Ed Orgeron which shocked me. He has some kind of ties there with someone??

Urban Meyer to USC is much further down the road than some want to beleive. He will be on their sideline next year.

FSU would never hire Urban Meyer, and Taggart isnt getting canned this year, anyway.

Reactions: bubba31
USC has more big donors than PSU (the billionaire GOP container guy, Hollywood producers, etc.) They had Pete Carroll as the highest paid coach in the country about 10 years ago. And schools like Texas and Texas a&m are $50 million a head of PSU in athletic department annual revenue, even before you think about some oil man making a mega donation:
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
Benioff (Salesforce) is worth 6 Billion+. He’s a USC grad. Not sure if he is a football fan.

I was listening to a Sirius show yesterday and one of the hosts said they would probably go after Ed Orgeron which shocked me. He has some kind of ties there with someone??

He coached there two different times, nine years in total. I think he'd at least be on their list.

If Franklin leaves I can see them going after Matt Rhule, which may actually turn out better for them long-term. I’ve been high on Rhule since he was at Temple, and I think he’s one of the better coaches in college football. He seems like one of the “good guys” in the business. He likes Baylor but probably wouldn’t turn down the chance to coach his alma mater.
Rhule also is "one of them". He fits their demographics perfectly. That is one reason why maybe Franklin could be enticed to leave.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Well he coached there before. But Ed O is a ragin' cajun literally. He's home. He's more home than Wanny was home. LSU with its success can easily ante up and keep Orgeron.

Ugh. Rhule at PSU would be horrifying. Franklin sucks and the PSU machine is still rolling. Rhule would have them every bit as good as OSU.

Like Pitt doesn't have any wealthy alum? You got some professional sports owners amongst its alumni.
Never said we didn’t. I was providing an example for the other post that someone else had regarding wealthy USC alums. There is a big Salesforce meeting in a few weeks, and he popped into my head.

Ugh. Rhule at PSU would be horrifying. Franklin sucks and the PSU machine is still rolling. Rhule would have them every bit as good as OSU.

I always felt Rhule was their coach in waiting. And I think it would be Alabama or A&M that would go after Franklin, not USC, since he has experience in the SEC. That's why if one of those two make a ridiculous offer, he probably takes it and PSU doesn't match and just gets Rhule

Franklin does not "suck". I would take him 7 out of 7 days a week over Narduzzi. Let's stop with this absolutely ridiculous narrative.

If anything, Franklin has proven he does not "suck" because he has lost very few, if any WTF games. If he is favored, he wins. If he isnt, he usually loses but he has recruited well enough to be favored in 10 or 11 games per year.

Reactions: CCvNYC
He coached there two different times, nine years in total. I think he'd at least be on their list.

Orgeron was the interim coach and they hired someone else rather than give him the job.

Plus, there is no better fit in america than Ed O at #1 LSU.

The guys on Sirius that are throwing this out there just further proves that anyone, including those of us on this message board could be a Sirius radio guy and talk CFB all day.

I always felt Rhule was their coach in waiting. And I think it would be Alabama or A&M that would go after Franklin, not USC, since he has experience in the SEC. That's why if one of those two make a ridiculous offer, he probably takes it and PSU doesn't match and just gets Rhule
A&M. They are laughable. Since they poached Jackie from us, they have been on this quest.....all of this money, and they have been a good program, but hardly, and I mean hardly great. Why would a coach leave PSU for A&M?

If anything, Franklin has proven he does not "suck" because he has lost very few, if any WTF games. If he is favored, he wins. If he isnt, he usually loses but he has recruited well enough to be favored in 10 or 11 games per year.
But he is still bashed on this board, strictly out of jealousy. Let's face it, the Nits nailed that hire, and have the resources to put behind him and let him do his thing.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
Mark Stevens is worth 2.6B, serves on the USC board, and already donated $100M to USC.

Despite what @Sean Miller Fan says, PSU can't compete with California venture capital wealth.

USC is going to offer a coach $20 million/year? No. They may offer Franklin $8 million, which Penn State would very easily match.

USC is going to offer a coach $20 million/year? No. They may offer Franklin $8 million, which Penn State would very easily match.

Even If you assume both schools could match the other's offer, then it's a question of what is the better job for him. I'd rather have the playoff route that doesn't involve Ohio State and live in the ocean than central PA though no clue if that's a big priority to him.

Even If you assume both schools could match the other's offer, then it's a question of what is the better job for him. I'd rather have the playoff route that doesn't involve Ohio State and live in the ocean than central PA though no clue if that's a big priority to him.
Plus, I am guessing USC doesn't have a fanbase willing to write handwritten letters to their players about their dreadlocks and tattoos.

Sure, he could make a life decision and choose to live in SoCal rather than Pennsyltucky but it wont be for more money. Actually, he'd probably make less once you consider the high cost of living.

Despite all of the noise about how great SoCal is (wildfires, earthquakes, mudslides) and the wealthy alums at USC (Felicity Huffman, etc.) USC football has sucked since the Pete Carroll days. And he was shady AF. Who the hell wants it?

Despite all of the noise about how great SoCal is (wildfires, earthquakes, mudslides) and the wealthy alums at USC (Felicity Huffman, etc.) USC football has sucked since the Pete Carroll days. And he was shady AF. Who the hell wants it?
Franklin helped cover up a rape when he was at Vandy that's way more shady than Pete Carroll looking the other way when Reggie Bush and his parents got some free stuff from an agent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT