ADVERTISEMENT

Will USC go after Franklin

I wouldn't lose sleep if they did, they won't, Rutgers might. I trust Heather to get us a better coach than Duzz if needed

I'd prefer to keep Narduzzi but if someone paid us a buyout to take him, I'd be like "whatever." There are coaches who are worse than Narduzzi for sure but he has proven to be mediocre (which by Pitt standards is pretty good).

A&M. They are laughable. Since they poached Jackie from us, they have been on this quest.....all of this money, and they have been a good program, but hardly, and I mean hardly great. Why would a coach leave PSU for A&M?

Why would a coach leave Alabama for A&M? Stranger things have happened. Fischer will be a monumental bust there. They will be in the market sooner rather than later.

Franklin helped cover up a rape when he was at Vandy that's way more shady than Pete Carroll looking the other way when Reggie Bush and his parents got some free stuff from an agent.

I hate the pompus ass, but you are making crazy assss accusations, wish people could be held liable

Somebody should. The guy is a beast. Penn State can match or beat any college or NFL team's offer. They could pay him $15 million/year and not sweat it. So I doubt it.

I find it strange that he has a really low buyout making it easy for him to go. That place is so racist that I would not be surprised that the low buyout was put in so he could build up program and easily leave. They could then replace w/ a Joebot and go back to success with honor

Reactions: TBC247
Why would a coach leave Alabama for A&M? Stranger things have happened. Fischer will be a monumental bust there. They will be in the market sooner rather than later.

Jimbo's buyout, at $60 million, is the biggest in football history. It's truly wild how much money A&M has and how they used it to go all in on him like that.

USC cheerleaders would make the move worth it. What big name coaches are truly available that might be interested? Urban Meyer would command top interest I’d assume. Franklin seems like his personality would work in Cali. I’m not sure USC would reach for a G5 like the guy at Cincinnati.

Hopefully no one is comparing Southern CA for Centre Co, PA! Money would not the reason to leave the sh*thole that is Centre Co. The money would be great in either position.

central pa is a nice place to live. PSU football is the only show in town so you are deity wherever you go. Coach Franklin is from PA. Unless somebody gives him an outrageous deal then he is staying put

We shall see if Jimmy wants greener and warmer pastures ( you like what I did here) and central PA blows!

Laguna_Beach_Southern_California_2016_32063208772-1200x668.jpg

VS

central pa is a nice place to live. PSU football is the only show in town so you are deity wherever you go. Coach Franklin is from PA. Unless somebody gives him an outrageous deal then he is staying put

My 1st job after graduating from Pitt was in Irwindale, CA and lived there 4 years. I transferred to Houston for 2 years and then to Cincy for 5 years. I did come back to Pittsburgh as I wanted to raise my family here.

Pittsburgh is widely known as a great place to live and yes, I am proud to live here and be from here. I have been to central PA many times over the years and it sucks!

Lol. Haven't you lived your entire life in Western PA though?

I was listening to a Sirius show yesterday and one of the hosts said they would probably go after Ed Orgeron which shocked me. He has some kind of ties there with someone??

Orgeron was the DL coach at USC for years. I believe he was the interim HC for a game or two. He was considered their best recruiter.

Love me some coach O. I think almost everyone realizes the guy is far from a good gameday coach, and that’s being kind. However he’s a great recruiter, solid motivator, and seems like a fun guy to be around.

The truth is, most coaches are not great game day coaches. The good ones know the game, can look at film and scheme, and can figure things out, but not necessarily in one minute or less. Most of them need some time to think about it. I'm sure both Narduzzi and Franklin know the game inside out, but like most people in most jobs, can't always figure out a problem and its solution instantly. The ones that can are truly rare. Particularly in a football game, with 22 different moving parts.

Reactions: steelhead52
The truth is, most coaches are not great game day coaches. The good ones know the game, can look at film and scheme, and can figure things out, but not necessarily in one minute or less. Most of them need some time to think about it. I'm sure both Narduzzi and Franklin know the game inside out, but like most people in most jobs, can't always figure out a problem and its solution instantly. The ones that can are truly rare. Particularly in a football game, with 22 different moving parts.

That actually would be a good separate thread. What coaches (college or pro) are excellent game day tacticians? Even Saban has screw ups, kicking a 58 yard FG not expecting the potential it could be returned for a TD

Right now USC needs a sailing coach, tennis coach, field hockey coach, and maybe a few more.

They're full up for football.

Love me some coach O. I think almost everyone realizes the guy is far from a good gameday coach, and that’s being kind. However he’s a great recruiter, solid motivator, and seems like a fun guy to be around.
Talent wins you a whole lot more games than X's and O's do. The difference between a "great recruiter, average tactician" and a "average recruiter, great tactician" is the difference between guys like Franklin and Orgeron (and Dabo, IMO) and guys like Kirk Ferentz, Paul Chryst, and Mark Dantonio. There isn't a fan in the world who'd take the results of the latter over the former.

Talent wins you a whole lot more games than X's and O's do. The difference between a "great recruiter, average tactician" and a "average recruiter, great tactician" is the difference between guys like Franklin and Orgeron (and Dabo, IMO) and guys like Kirk Ferentz, Paul Chryst, and Mark Dantonio. There isn't a fan in the world who'd take the results of the latter over the former.

Dabo can recruit like Dab because he's at Clemson, with the fanciest training facilities in the country. I'm not saying charisma is zero but football recruiting is more overall about the budget of the University than the personality. If you chart football revenue and recruitment rankings, it tracks pretty close with just some outliers.

We shall see if Jimmy wants greener and warmer pastures ( you like what I did here) and central PA blows!

Laguna_Beach_Southern_California_2016_32063208772-1200x668.jpg

VS

In picuture # 1 wait for the earthquake, resulting in a massive tidal wave, mud slides, and finally fires as a result of the earthquake.

None of that is happening or going to happen in picture # 2.

This is a great comment. I think Franklin is indeed a very good game day coach personally as he won many games at Vandy with lesser talent and at PSU while recovering from sanctions. Yeah they lost to OSU 2 out of the three past years but with lesser talent and two games by a single point. For a head coach, its not just about making adjustments. Its often deciding between adjusting to what the other team is showing or knowing your base schemes will work if executed better. Some coaches just have an instinct or the innate ability to identify what the opposition is doing and make adjustments on the fly. The issue is often not whether a coach can see the required adjustments, but does he trust that his team has enough reps to make a change to their base schemes at critical times. So much gets placed on the head coach, but its usually the coordinators making the in game adjustments with the head coach overriding if he feels its necessary. A head coach micro managing during the game often un-empowers his organization. To be a great head coach you need great coordinators and you need to show you trust them. If you can't you need to make changes. I think one thing that gets overlooked as part of a good game day coach is whether his players play hard to the end. Its not all about X's and O's, its often about not losing your team when facing adversity.

This is a great comment. I think Franklin is indeed a very good game day coach personally as he won many games at Vandy with lesser talent and at PSU while recovering from sanctions. Yeah they lost to OSU 2 out of the three past years but with lesser talent and two games by a single point. For a head coach, its not just about making adjustments. Its often deciding between adjusting to what the other team is showing or knowing your base schemes will work if executed better. Some coaches just have an instinct or the innate ability to identify what the opposition is doing and make adjustments on the fly. The issue is often not whether a coach can see the required adjustments, but does he trust that his team has enough reps to make a change to their base schemes at critical times. So much gets placed on the head coach, but its usually the coordinators making the in game adjustments with the head coach overriding if he feels its necessary. A head coach micro managing during the game often un-empowers his organization. To be a great head coach you need great coordinators and you need to show you trust them. If you can't you need to make changes. I think one thing that gets overlooked as part of a good game day coach is whether his players play hard to the end. Its not all about X's and O's, its often about not losing your team when facing adversity.
Here is a list of the coaches that have beaten Franklin @ PSU. Games won in parentheses. I'm not sure what the interpretation is, so you can decide for yourselves.

Urban Meyer (4) - Gone
Mark D’Antonio (4) - One foot out the door
Jim Harbaugh (3) - Had one foot out the door, but apparently pulled it back
Pat Fitzgerald (2) - Will die of old age on the sidelines at NW
Pat Narduzzi - Still there
Clay Helton - Still there, but apparently being replaced by Franklin
Mark Stoops - Still there – last coach to beat him
Brady Hoke - Gone
Randy Edsall - Gone
Tom Beckman - Gone
Matt Ruhle (Temple) – Gone to greener pastures
Mark Richt - Gone

You know too much about Jimmy

Here is a list of the coaches that have beaten Franklin @ PSU. Games won in parentheses. I'm not sure what the interpretation is, so you can decide for yourselves.

Urban Meyer (4) - Gone
Mark D’Antonio (4) - One foot out the door
Jim Harbaugh (3) - Had one foot out the door, but apparently pulled it back
Pat Fitzgerald (2) - Will die of old age on the sidelines at NW
Pat Narduzzi - Still there
Clay Helton - Still there, but apparently being replaced by Franklin
Mark Stoops - Still there – last coach to beat him
Brady Hoke - Gone
Randy Edsall - Gone
Tom Beckman - Gone
Matt Ruhle (Temple) – Gone to greener pastures
Mark Richt - Gone

Reactions: DiehardPanther
We don't play anymore so don't you have anything else to do like follow your team on your site! wow...just wow
Yeah but I will be honest....seeing some of the absolutely idiotic comments from Pitt fans in regards to Franklin and PSU, I am fine and support PSU fans coming over here and making these idiots look bad. You can be a fan of your team, but I want someone who is objective and knowledgeable, not who's face is painted and should be wearing a skirt waving pom poms.

And I am fine with Pitt fans posting on a Pitt board. You don't think it is creepy to have trolls hanging on another team's board?

Yeah but I will be honest....seeing some of the absolutely idiotic comments from Pitt fans in regards to Franklin and PSU, I am fine and support PSU fans coming over here and making these idiots look bad. You can be a fan of your team, but I want someone who is objective and knowledgeable, not who's face is painted and should be wearing a skirt waving pom poms.

Certainly not men's basketball....:rolleyes:

No question about that. PSU Men’s hoops has long been neglected. They have a real chance to make the tournament this year, but I wouldn’t count on it.

I think they have the most NCAA championships outside of the big 3 in the state of California (Stanford, UCLA, USC). Of course, you could argue that sports outside of football and basketball don’t matter, but If that were truly the case, it would only really make sense to dump all resources into football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT