ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s basketball

It probably largely depends on his contract and how many years it has left to run. There is pretty much nothing that has happened on the court that would lead anyone to think that he "deserves" to be back.

He's been the head coach for 74 ACC games now. And he has 8 ACC wins. 8-66. That's a .108 winning percentage for those of you scoring at home. Overall, 39-90, .302. That is simply god awful.
How long could his contract
be? He's in his fifth year. It's
hard for me to fathom that
he was given on an initial
contract, more than five
yrs.

Buyout? I cant imagine
an assistant in his first HC
position even has a buyout.
OK...maybe he did have a
buyout, but this is women's
Bball, he was an assistant and
this is Pitt, not UCONN.

The ACC record is beyond
terrible. As for his non league
wins, they're basically all lower
level teams.

He's probably attempting to
convince Lyke, that the team
is playing better and improving
with the frosh, a few sophs and
jrs,and a good recruiting class
entering. But then again how do
you explain an ACC record of
8-66 with the top tier teams
yet to be played?

How long could his contract
be? He's in his fifth year. It's
hard for me to fathom that
he was given on an initial
contract, more than five
yrs.

Buyout? I cant imagine
an assistant in his first HC
position even has a buyout.
OK...maybe he did have a
buyout, but this is women's
Bball, he was an assistant and
this is Pitt, not UCONN.

My hope is that it was a five year deal and was never extended, so it's over at the end of this season. If that's the case then I cannot imagine how he could be back next year. I have a feeling, however, that that is not the case. Colleges don't typically let coaches get to their last year, because it becomes more difficult to recruit.

As to a buyout, of course there would be one. If there isn't any language in the contract about specific terms then if he has (just as an example) two years at $400,000 per left on his deal when you fire him then you owe him $400,000 per year for the next two years. You don't get out of paying the money simply by firing someone.

Hopefully if they did give him some sort of extension somewhere along the line, because of his performance they wrote a really small buyout into the deal.

My hope is that it was a five year deal and was never extended, so it's over at the end of this season. If that's the case then I cannot imagine how he could be back next year. I have a feeling, however, that that is not the case. Colleges don't typically let coaches get to their last year, because it becomes more difficult to recruit.

As to a buyout, of course there would be one. If there isn't any language in the contract about specific terms then if he has (just as an example) two years at $400,000 per left on his deal when you fire him then you owe him $400,000 per year for the next two years. You don't get out of paying the money simply by firing someone.

Hopefully if they did give him some sort of extension somewhere along the line, because of his performance they wrote a really small buyout into the deal.
True about the buyout.
I was referring to having
to pay him beyond what
they owed him if they let
him go before the end of
his contract. As far as an
"extension" at what point
in his tenure here, could
they possibly have offered
him one. I know, I know
LOL, it's been done before.

If there is a negotiation,
I can see mgmt's obvious
arguments. As far as the
other side, all I can see is;
I run a clean program, I'm
bringing in student athletes
who are a credit to Pitt. My
players play with spirit and
don't give up. We're looking
better recently with my
hiring a competent group
of assistants. Oh wait, one
other thing, I'm a nice guy
and the players like me and
I don't embarrass the school.

Reactions: jctrack
As far as an
"extension" at what point
in his tenure here, could
they possibly have offered
him one. I know, I know
LOL, it's been done before.

Well what I am saying is that sometime when he got to the point where he had one or two years left that they quietly signed him to an extension but with a cheap buyout, so he could tell recruits that he had three or four more years or whatever left on his deal, when while that would technically be true, it would also be true that it really wouldn't cost much to let him go.

"We'll add a couple years to your deal to help you recruit, but only under the condition that if things don't get better we can fire you without it costing us." That sort of thing.

Reactions: Chescat
Well what I am saying is that sometime when he got to the point where he had one or two years left that they quietly signed him to an extension but with a cheap buyout, so he could tell recruits that he had three or four more years or whatever left on his deal, when while that would technically be true, it would also be true that it really wouldn't cost much to let him go.

"We'll add a couple years to your deal to help you recruit, but only under the condition that if things don't get better we can fire you without it costing us." That sort of thing.
I spent a good part of my
my career negotiating
contracts across the table
from unions, other employee
groups, and also singular
individuals. The example you
gave of an extension/buyout
wasn't something I was in the
habit of doing, but then again
I wasn't dealing with college
coaches and the world of
college sports. So with that
said, your possible scenario
makes sense. It does LOL,
run contrary to my DNA,
but then again, I can see the
possibility in this case.

I spent a good part of my
my career negotiating
contracts across the table
from unions, other employee
groups, and also singular
individuals. The example you
gave of an extension/buyout
wasn't something I was in the
habit of doing, but then again
I wasn't dealing with college
coaches and the world of
college sports. So with that
said, your possible scenario
makes sense. It does LOL,
run contrary to my DNA,
but then again, I can see the
possibility in this case.

It's really the recruiting aspect of it that makes it different. Because I guarantee that a coach who is five years into his tenure and who has not had the greatest success (and isn't that an understatement) is going to get asked about his contract status by potential recruits. And saying that you only have one more season left on your deal isn't going to inspire anyone to sign with you. Because they know that if you only have one year left on your deal you are unlikely to be that recruits coach for long, if at all.

Reactions: Chescat
It was basically another second half collapse.
Yes, and the key word is
"another." The last several
games we were right there
at the half. Two of those
games we gave up over 50
pts in the second half. the
others were plus 40. If it
happens repeatedly it's
a pattern and not simply
a coincidence. I'm not going
to surmise why these second
half collapses occur. I'll leave
it your imagination.

I honestly thought pre game
we'd finally get a win. BC is
not that good, they were on
a five game losing streak, and
were missing a top player.

He clearly deserves to be fired. But, has Heather ever fired a coach she hired? The softball coach should have been gone two years ago. White should have been gone a year ago.

She has pulled the pin on coaches who she inherited, but I don’t think she has fired anyone she hired.

Reactions: Black Panther
He clearly deserves to be fired. But, has Heather ever fired a coach she hired? The softball coach should have been gone two years ago. White should have been gone a year ago.

She has pulled the pin on coaches who she inherited, but I don’t think she has fired anyone she hired.
True..doesn’t want to look bad..still hate the Jordano firing…

Lance will be gone. Oh well H2P!!!

Not yet. This should be her first time having to fire one of her hires.

Heather has fired:
Kevin Stallings (Barnes)
Suzie McConnel-Serio (Pederson),
John Hargis (Barnes)
Holly Aprile (Pederson)
Joe Jordano (Pederson)
Greg Miller (Pederson)
Alex Santos (Pederson) was effectively fired by eliminating tennis

Adam Bray left XC for a volunteer position at GT, so looks like he was shown the door, but it is unknown how much Heather had a part in that.

Debbie Yohman (Bozik) also retired after 31 years. Was she encouraged? who knows?

Julian Krug for sure just retired on his own after 38 years and recent ACC diving coach of the year honors.

Keith Gavin was Heather's first hire but she did not fire Jason Peters.

The only current coaches that haven't been initially hired during Lyke's tenure are Alonzo Webb (Pederson), Pat Narduzzi (Randy Juhl), Dan Fisher (Pederson), and Jay VIdovich (Barnes). Heather has extended Narduzzi, Fisher (fighting off fierce poaching attempts), and Vidovich.

Lance is done. Firing him may be a tough pill to swallow because Lyke took some outside heat hiring a white man for that position. Who she brings in will be interesting to watch to see if that prior experience influences the next hire. Jodi Hermanek is heading to the chopping block. Capel looks like he is saving his career. Webb has maintained a respectable program under extreme handicaps of decades with no facilities so he isn't likely going anywhere. The rest of her hires are trending upwards and safe or too early in their tenure for a verdict.

Last edited:
You just have to laugh at the graphic they just put up on the screen.

Point differential by quarter:
1st: -14
2nd: +15
4th: +31

Hey, that's pretty good. I mean they could stand to get off to better starts, but you could live with that.

What's that? I forgot one of the quarters? Oh, yeah, you're right, sorry. I missed the third quarter.

That is not a typo.

BTW, you would think that a game announcer would know how to pronounce "Washenitz". I mean it looks a little different, but it's actually pronounced exactly the way that it looks.

That’s a pet peeve I have with all announcers.No excuse for it.Find out how to pronounce every players name before the game.

The color commentator seems to be getting it right. I wonder when you are pronouncing someone's name differently than your broadcast partner, does that give you pause to think you might want to check on the correct way to say it?

Neither team played very
well. We had our chances
but were beat up inside.
We were outrebounded,
and the offensive rebound
difference 13-7, was key.
That led to a 26-16 point
differential in the paint.
Those are killer stats that
happen to an undersized
team. We have no bigs,