ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s basketball

Unless he somehow has a buyout that Pitt doesn't want to pay, they simply can't keep him any longer. His tenure has been a disaster. He took over a bad team, and after five years they aren't really any better.

He simply has to go.
I think the talent on the team now is definitely better than the players Coach W. inherited. The problem is that this talent is wildly inconsistent - for which I question the coaching.

But this team would easily beat the team Coach inherited, IMHO…

Go Pitt.

I think the talent on the team now is definitely better than the players Coach W. inherited. The problem is that this talent is wildly inconsistent - for which I question the coaching.

Go Pitt.
Good point! However the
ACC opposition just might
also be better, so we're not
keeping pace with the other
ACC teams. This yr's team
IMO is actually playing a
better brand of ball since
the VT game ( Fl ST being
an exception). I notice that
an assistant is drawing up
plays during time outs,
and that might be the one
reason causing some recent
improvement. Some of us
criticize White's in game
substitutions, his wholesale
platooning, and players losing
and/or gaining sizeable on
floor miutes for no apparent
reason. I'm sure he'd argue
against everything I just
detailed. I still wonder how
Lyke will see all of this and
what others on here have
posted.

Go Pitt.

I agree that this team is better.

But two things. First of all, as we well know, that's a low bar to clear. Secondly, they might be better but they are still not getting results on the court. You just can't be 10-71 in conference nearing the end of your fifth season and have anyone believe that's good enough.

Conference wins by season: 2, 1, 3, 2, 2 (so far)

Good point! However the
ACC opposition just might
also be better, so we're not
keeping pace with the other
ACC teams. This yr's team
IMO is actually playing a
better brand of ball since
the VT game ( Fl ST being
an exception). I notice that
an assistant is drawing up
plays during time outs,
and that might be the one
reason causing some recent
improvement. Some of us
criticize White's in game
substitutions, his wholesale
platooning, and players losing
and/or gaining sizeable on
floor miutes for no apparent
reason. I'm sure he'd argue
against everything I just
detailed. I still wonder how
Lyke will see all of this and
what others on here have
posted.
I don't like how he can not decide on who to play. i do not like how he has been unable to recruit any size.

Yet even with all that, recruiting has improved overall?

I don't like how he can not decide on who to play. i do not like how he has been unable to recruit any size.

Yet even with all that, recruiting has improved overall?
The crazy thing is, I DO
think he can decide whom
to play. It's just that it
defies bball logic. A few
games ago Strickland who
had been playing well and
starting was benched and
hardly saw the floor. Last
game she gets 37 minutes
in an OT game. She deserved
those minutes. The point is
why now? and why following
a game being benched. Of
course coaches make player
changes, but White's make
no sense and they happen
repeatedly. Some of us on
here point it out game after
game.

Your recruiting question,
yes it's improved, but IMO
nowhere enough, and also
not significantly enough
in this league. As posters
have pointed out...why no
Big when he lost his center?
More proof?....no increase
in wins five years into his
stay here at Pitt.

Last edited:
I believe Lance has one year on his contract. The last 3 are going to be tough to win. Should be an interesting finish to the year after getting some momentum.

That was two really bad basketball teams trying to determine who was the worst. Not only does a good team crush both of them tonight, a good team would have crushed the Pitt-BC all star combined team tonight.

That is Pitt's first back to back conference wins since they beat North Carolina and Virginia at home on January 15 and 22 of 2017.

Ouch.

• Wow
Reactions: FireballZ
BTW, this might have been another team that was missing a bunch of players, because BC only dressed eight and the eighth played about a half minute. They had three players in sweats on the bench who were injured. I have no idea if those players were any good or not.

Went to the game figuring Pitt had a shot at a win. Pitt is so up-and-down and so inconsistent. With so many awful possessions, it’s a wonder they won. And the five-in-five-out strategy seems loony.

The “starters” played 2.5 minutes before being pulled. Pitt score 75 points and the “bench” scored 51. Loony, I tell ya.

I hope the AD doesn’t make too much of Pitt beating the other awful teams at the bottom of the ACC. The teams Pitt had beaten are 12 and 34 in the ACC…

Go Pitt.

I’m wondering if Coach’s strategy is to start a stronger defensive 5 to try to get the opponent off to a poor start offensively - hoping to undermine their confidence early with high-energy defense (think Emy Hayford…). Then Coach brings in a group of 5 that includes his best scorers like King and Harris, and lately, Lewis.

Against BC, 51 of the 75 points were scored by the “bench” 5. And he brought in the bench-5 about 2.5 minutes into the first quarter and after 3 horrible offensive possessions in the second half…

The strategy doesn’t work against better teams because we usually struggle to score more than 12 points in the first quarter…

Go Pitt.

Its good to see all you "fire the Coach" folks have someone to demand be fired since all your Capel posts have suddenly vanished. Keep up the good work and here's hoping your workplace is into firing just as much as you all are.

It’s good to see all you "fire the Coach" folks have someone to demand be fired since all your Capel posts have suddenly vanished. Keep up the good work and here's hoping your workplace is into firing just as much as you all are.
Generalize much? Perhaps you’ll be pleased to know that as for this poster, I have never posted that Coach Capel should be fired.

Go Pitt.

Its good to see all you "fire the Coach" folks have someone to demand be fired since all your Capel posts have suddenly vanished. Keep up the good work and here's hoping your workplace is into firing just as much as you all are.

Lance White's career record in conference games is 11-71, a .134 winning percentage.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Like most people, where I work there are no high dollar, big buyout contracts. So anyone whose job performance was the equivalent of 11-71 would have been fired a long time ago.

Imagine a salesman working at a company. They have 82 chances to win a contract. Their average coworkers are winning 40-45 of them. The top sellers are winning 50-60 of them, and even more. And then there's this one guy whose won 11 of them. How long do you suppose that sales guy would keep his job?

Reactions: Chescat
If you have ever read my posts, unlike others, I Ioath turning over coaches without giving them more than a fair chance to prove themselves, He has run out of rope. Sorry but White needs to be shown the door.

Reactions: Chaos

I would have advocated for firing Capel if he had another losing season. Perhaps even fired him if he managed a winning season but didn't make a post-season appearance, depending on what the season looked like. I wanted him to do what he ending up doing this year because I saw flashes of well coached teams early in prior seasons, before internal locker room issues undermined those seasons, and believed he could be a quality coach and just ran into some unfortuante circumstances, which happens sometimes. He looks like he saved his job this year, and I'm glad for that. But five years is more than enough time to get a program above .500, no matter what is going on, and ultimately, wins and losses matter and an athletic program has to set a standard of expectations. One out five seasons >.500 is not a difficult expectation...one could say it is the bare minimum of expectations.

Lance is done. His tenure has been, unarguably, an abject failure. I've seen no flashes of anything nor any realistic possibility that he can get the program to a top 25 status, which should be the expectation for every program in Pitt's athletic department (outside track & field because they have no facility). Maybe if he won the ACC tournament I might change my mind.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is senior day. Pitt is honoring six seniors. Channise Lewis, Destiny Strother, Cynthia Ezeja, Day Harris, Emy Hayford and Amber Brown.

Lewis is a grad transfer who has no eligibility left. The other five, based on the extra covid year that everyone got, should all have one more season left if they want it. I completely understand why someone who has had all the injuries that Ezeja has had might not want to play any more. But I find it interesting that none of the other four are apparently coming back to play a fifth season.

BTW, Amber Brown needs 56 points for 1000 in her career. It would be nice to get her that before this season comes to an end.

I mean ND was playing a different sport than Pitt today lol. If they didn’t ease off the gas, could’ve dropped over 100 points with how dominant they were rebounding and shooting

And not to get into silly message board arguments bc our opinions mean nothing, but Lance White absolutely should be fired, he has shown nothing over his tenture here. His ACC record is like 8-bazillion over 4 or 5 seasons, too lazy to look it up. But women’s bball is a sport that generally people don’t care about, so we’ll see if Heather keeps him here until his contract runs out or whatever lol

But women’s bball is a sport that generally people don’t care about

There were about 3,000 there today, so someone cares. I mean part of that is obviously that they were playing Notre Dame and there were more Notre Dame fans there than there ever are for any other visiting team. But the vast majority of the people there were Pitt fans.

And after a game like today, why would anyone expect them to come back?

Back when they were good they regularly got 3,000 - 5,000 people there for games. For big games there were times when the lower level was 3/4 full and there were people sitting in the upper level. At this point they keep the curtains down over the upper level for all the games, because there is no need for anyone to ever sit up there.

Charel Allen from Monessen that played for ND and is now an assistant for them had a few buses go down to the game today.

Reactions: bschulter
And not to get into silly message board arguments bc our opinions mean nothing, but Lance White absolutely should be fired, he has shown nothing over his tenture here. His ACC record is like 8-bazillion over 4 or 5 seasons, too lazy to look it up. But women’s bball is a sport that generally people don’t care about, so we’ll see if Heather keeps him here until his contract runs out or whatever lol

Women's basketball is the third highest profile sport at most universities. A distant third, but comfortably third nonetheless. Just look how much it is on tv compared to any other college sport other than football and men's basketball.

Women's basketball is the third highest profile sport at most universities. A distant third, but comfortably third nonetheless. Just look how much it is on tv compared to any other college sport other than football and men's basketball.
It’s also the #3 sport at every school in the country when it comes to expenditures, and one of the three sports that IIRC actually brings in any television revenue. So if you’re going to spend money on it, you might as well be good at it.

Reactions: CrazyPaco
It’s also the #3 sport at every school in the country when it comes to expenditures, and one of the three sports that IIRC actually brings in any television revenue. So if you’re going to spend money on it, you might as well be good at it.
How about at least respectable? In the past 8 seasons, Pitt has won 4 ACC games twice, and that is the highest number of ACC wins. White has won 3 twice, including this year, his best seasons. Just awful.

I've been out of town
and off the board for.
awhile, but some things
remain the same here.
Coach White and his
Pitt tenure continue
to be the source of
much discussion, as
it should be.

Losing at home on Sr.
Day to a very good ND
was to be expected, but
by 40 pts? We somehow
lost to them earlier by
only six 69-63, and that
was at ND. Lately we have
played several ACC games
where we actually looked
half way decent. I only see
them on tv, but my sense
is an assistant or two is
making a difference. As
for today, you would think
whatever argument White
was using to retain his
job, we would have seen
a stronger performance.
Anyone watching today's
fiasco would easily see
the gap between these
two programs. Posters on
here (myslf included) like
to discuss what we see
game after game. With
that said, recruiting is
a main problem here.
Coach White has not been
able to bring in ACC level
players. We beat sub ACC
teams in the pre season,
and then win a few ACC
games against the lower
level in the league. If Lyke
objectively watched today,
there's not IMO, anything
else for her to do but cut
ties with Coach White. If
coach had an argument for
his retention, I feel it went
down the drain with today's
dismal performance.

Reactions: 303vND
Losing by 40 to ND at home today. Anyone still think that White should have another year?

I don't care what sport it is, and if they average only 10 fans a year, this level of incompetence cannot be tolerated.

Although the miracle turnaround for Capel may be Heather's reason to keep Lance, as she seems to be in the Dan Rooney school of coaching stability, especially with one of her own hires.

Smooshed by Syracuse tonight, 85-55. And Syracuse isn't even all that good. And they were apparently missing a couple players, one of whom had 23 and 7 the first time the two teams played.

Pitt led 17-11 late in the 1st, and the next time they scored a basket they were down 27-19, it was 42-28 at the half, and that was that.

About the only good thing to come out of this game is that it is the last time I have to watch a Lance White coached team live and in person. Because as I sat there tonight I decided, if for some ungodly reason he's still the coach here next year I'm not going. They are, without a doubt, the worst fundamental basketball team I have ever seen. And it's no better today than on day one of the season. They simply have not gotten one bit better.

I can't imagine what someone who was as good a player fundamentally as Brianna Kiesel was thinks about as she sits there watching this mess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT