You have to at least give
it a try by fouling. If you
don't they sit on the ball
and you're guaranteed a
a loss. They miss the foul,
and you still have a chance.
Don't foul, and you have NO
chance, none. It's basic bball
I agree, need to foul. My comment was meant as sarcasm, there is no 6-point play.

For whatever reason, it seems like women's teams are way more reluctant to foul in late game where you are losing situations than men's teams are.

My god UVA has a terrible team. I can’t believe Pitt won doing hockey line subs in the first half, and then they basically didn’t sub the entire 4th quarter.

Pitt beats uva 60-51 to earn first ACC win of the year.
7uvz.gif

Pitt beats uva 60-51 to earn first ACC win of the year.
They deserved to win as
they were clearly the
better team. Not very
often we can say we
had more talent, but we
did in this game IMO.
White platooned again
as usual, but today it
worked in our favor.

UVA came into the game
on a five game losing
streak. They're not very
good, but this isn't meant
to take anything away from
our players. They clearly
outplayed UVA. UVA had
a definite height advantage
(what else is new), but our
players fought hard and
and were not overwhelmed
inside. Good win for a
group of players who have
hustled, fought hard, and
maintained good team
spirit and willingness all
year long. I'm happy for
them.

They deserved to win as
they were clearly the
better team. Not very
often we can say we
had more talent, but we
did in this game IMO.
White platooned again
as usual, but today it
worked in our favor.

I don't know, but Virginia must be having injury problems. They only played eight, which isn't unusual, but they only dressed, I think, nine. I think they had one player who was dressed but did not play, but I could be wrong, they might have only had eight available. They did have a big who was on crutches with her foot in a boot, so that's at least one more. But surely their whole roster is not nine or ten.

That platoon system is so dumb. It reeks of "well I don't have any idea what to do, so let's try this!" And what you get out of it is limiting the minutes of the people who are playing well, for instance Liatu King, 10 points, 9 rebounds and 4 blocks in only 21 minutes, while giving similar minutes to people who are not playing well, for instance Gabby Hutcherson, 0 points on 0-8 from the field with 3 rebounds in 20 minutes. Or Day Harris with 14 points, 5 rebounds and a couple of assists playing 26 minutes while Emy Hayford, 3 points, 1 rebound and 0 assists from the point guard position in 21 minutes (to say nothing of the fact that against the UVa press in the fourth quarter she looked like she was afraid to have the ball in her hands).

I don't know, but Virginia must be having injury problems. They only played eight, which isn't unusual, but they only dressed, I think, nine. I think they had one player who was dressed but did not play, but I could be wrong, they might have only had eight available. They did have a big who was on crutches with her foot in a boot, so that's at least one more. But surely their whole roster is not nine or ten.

That platoon system is so dumb. It reeks of "well I don't have any idea what to do, so let's try this!" And what you get out of it is limiting the minutes of the people who are playing well, for instance Liatu King, 10 points, 9 rebounds and 4 blocks in only 21 minutes, while giving similar minutes to people who are not playing well, for instance Gabby Hutcherson, 0 points on 0-8 from the field with 3 rebounds in 20 minutes. Or Day Harris with 14 points, 5 rebounds and a couple of assists playing 26 minutes while Emy Hayford, 3 points, 1 rebound and 0 assists from the point guard position in 21 minutes (to say nothing of the fact that against the UVa press in the fourth quarter she looked like she was afraid to have the ball in her hands).
They did have a least one player out.

I also have no idea about
UVA player #'s. My guess
is it's injuries. You listed
some questionable stats
and comments for Pitt,
All true, but how about
UVA's awful #'s. They were
27% from the field, with
6-30 on their threes at
20%. They outrebounded
us decisively 50-38. Even
worse they had 23 off the
offensive boards with only
18 pts. in the paint, while
we had 20 pts. in the paint
off only 13 offensive boards.
The UVA coach ought to be
pulling her hair out after
those numbers, especially
with their height advantage.

Reactions: jctrack
Announcers said that Pitt had lost 20 straight ACC games. Ouch!

Course we were 0-11 this season before today. This team is maddening to watch, even in victory. So many horrible possessions.

Happy for the young ladies though…

Go Pitt.
Yeah I agree, but they
were LESS "maddening"
today (if there is such
a thing) LOL, than usual.

And yup, we have to be
happy for these young
women as they clrearly
are giving their all and
seem invested in the
reason for the pink out
today.

Reactions: Black Panther
I also have no idea about
UVA player #'s. My guess
is it's injuries. You listed
some questionable stats
and comments for Pitt,
All true, but how about
UVA's awful #'s. They were
27% from the field, with
6-30 on their threes at
20%. They outrebounded
us decisively 50-38. Even
worse they had 23 off the
offensive boards with only
18 pts. in the paint, while
we had 20 pts. in the paint
off only 13 offensive boards.
The UVA coach ought to be
pulling her hair out after
those numbers, especially
with their height advantage.

That's why I think they have to be missing players. I mean it's not like they don't have any wins, or even very few wins. At one point this year they were 12-0 and had made it into the top 25. And then, boom, the bottom dropped out. When they beat Wake early in the year they played 11. Two of the players who started that day didn't play today. When they pummeled the nitters a few weeks later they played the same 11.

In looking at their team stats, they have played 24 games so far this year. They only have three players who have played all 24. The player who I think was the one on crutches in the boot started the first 21 games but has not played in the last three. She's averaging 11 and 4. The other starter from earlier this season who is not playing played 15 games with 13 starts. She hasn't played since early January. She's averaging 12 and 9.6. Given what we saw on the glass today, think about that. The player who is, by far, their leading rebounder on the year didn't play today. Yikes!

That's why I think they have to be missing players. I mean it's not like they don't have any wins, or even very few wins. At one point this year they were 12-0 and had made it into the top 25. And then, boom, the bottom dropped out. When they beat Wake early in the year they played 11. Two of the players who started that day didn't play today. When they pummeled the nitters a few weeks later they played the same 11.

In looking at their team stats, they have played 24 games so far this year. They only have three players who have played all 24. The player who I think was the one on crutches in the boot started the first 21 games but has not played in the last three. She's averaging 11 and 4. The other starter from earlier this season who is not playing played 15 games with 13 starts. She hasn't played since early January. She's averaging 12 and 9.6. Given what we saw on the glass today, think about that. The player who is, by far, their leading rebounder on the year didn't play today. Yikes!
Well, that explains it. I
don't want to take anthing
away from our players and
their win, but UVA right
now is a flawed team. The
missing players sound like
they're the top players on
that team. What showed
up here today was IMO a
less talented team than
Pitt.

On a different topic, I'm
guessing White has been
using Pitt's more recent
play as a reason why he
should be retained. The
same old problems still
exist, but the overall play
has been better. The Va T
game may have been our
best outing even though
we lost (they're ranked).
We also were right there
with BC and Duke and
possibly could have won.
Can you guess what he's
trying to convince Lyke of
NOT doing?

Seems to me the Pitt players have not significantly improved in the 4 years they’ve been here. Day Harris will still make a spectacular basket on one possession, then throw the ball away on the next. AB has improved her foul shooting, but why has that never translated into being able to be a threat with short jumpers. She does not have to be defended unless she has the ball three feet from the basket. Hayford still attempts wild scoop shots.

To their credit, the effort is terrific and the players are athletic - but way too often they just don’t click as a basketball team…

So today they needed UVA to have an absolutely terrible shooting day get the win. I’m not buying minimal “progress” as a reason to keep the Coach, especially with his failure to recruit a post presence…

Go Pitt.

Seems to me the Pitt players have not significantly improved in the 4 years they’ve been here. Day Harris will still make a spectacular basket on one possession, then throw the ball away on the next. AB has improved her foul shooting, but why has that never translated into being able to be a threat with short jumpers. She does not have to be defended unless she has the ball three feet from the basket. Hayford still attempts wild scoop shots.

To their credit, the effort is terrific and the players are athletic - but way too often they just don’t click as a basketball team…

So today they needed UVA to have an absolutely terrible shooting day get the win. I’m not buying minimal “progress” as a reason to keep the Coach, especially with his failure to recruit a post presence…

Go Pitt.
For the most part I
agree. You're right about
AB's lack of even a short
jumper. Harris is IMO,
the biggest example. I
wonder about a knee
inury holding her back.
Hayford though has
improved. She was an
outta control train wreck
for two years. She is at
least running the point,
staying in control. and
not forcing a race horse
pace at all costs.

Not only no "post presence"
but also failure to recruit
ACC level players has made
this program what it is.
As far as "minimal progress
as a reason to keep the
coach".....I totally agree
with your assessment. I
wonder what Lyke thinks.

Harris is IMO,
the biggest example. I
wonder about a knee
inury holding her back.

I've said it before, but I really think that she is on a minutes limit. Even when she is playing well she gets taken out. She isn't playing nearly as many minutes as she used to, she doesn't look nearly as explosive as she used to be, and when she is in they keep her mostly off the ball until it's absolutely necessary. Like today in the 4th when Virginia started pressing, they tried to break the press with Hayford and Lewis with help from King or Brown. It took all of about one possession to see that that wasn't a good idea, but it took a lot longer than that for them to start using Harris to help out.

There is no way that if she is 100% that on a day like today she plays 26 minutes while Hayford plays 21. That split should be more like 32-15. Maybe even bigger. But I just don't think she's physically up for it, or at least they don't think she is. And they are probably right.

Them not calling a foul on that layup try by King at the end of the overtime there was simply egregious. How on earth is there a ref on the baseline there and they not see that player hack straight across King's arm?

And then they compound the mistake, because King was clearly the last person to touch the ball before it went out of bounds, but they give the ball to Pitt anyway. Because it was obvious that they should have called a foul in the first place.

Reactions: Black Panther
Them not calling a foul on that layup try by King at the end of the overtime there was simply egregious. How on earth is there a ref on the baseline there and they not see that player hack straight across King's arm?

And then they compound the mistake, because King was clearly the last person to touch the ball before it went out of bounds, but they give the ball to Pitt anyway. Because it was obvious that they should have called a foul in the first place.
Exactly the way I saw it.

How about GT with a
3 pt. lead and 2.5 seconds
left in regulation, not
purposely fouling. This
after a time out which
allowed Pitt to get 3 pt
shooters into the game
and also set up a play
on the in bounds.

I'm glad we pullled it out
at the end. GT is one of
a few league teams we
can beat.

This
after a time out which
allowed Pitt to get 3 pt
shooters into the game
and also set up a play
on the in bounds.

First off, yes, they clearly should have fouled.

But secondly, astonishingly, Pitt did NOT put three point shooters into the game. They didn't change the lineup at all on the timeout. So we still had Emy Hayford, who is a poor three point shooter, on the court. And we still, for god knows what reason, had Liatu King on the court. She not only has never made a three in her three years at Pitt, she hasn't even attempted one. Even Lewis wasn't good earlier this year, but she has made some lately, and obviously made the big one today.

In other substitution issues, how on earth in a close game like that is Day Harris not on the court late in regulation and for the first half of the first overtime? It's a good thing that he finally put her in when he did, because in the last seven minutes of the game she scored 10 points.

First off, yes, they clearly should have fouled.

But secondly, astonishingly, Pitt did NOT put three point shooters into the game. They didn't change the lineup at all on the timeout. So we still had Emy Hayford, who is a poor three point shooter, on the court. And we still, for god knows what reason, had Liatu King on the court. She not only has never made a three in her three years at Pitt, she hasn't even attempted one. Even Lewis wasn't good earlier this year, but she has made some lately, and obviously made the big one today.

In other substitution issues, how on earth in a close game like that is Day Harris not on the court late in regulation and for the first half of the first overtime? It's a good thing that he finally put her in when he did, because in the last seven minutes of the game she scored 10 points.
I'll go back and look
at it but I'm pretty sure
they had Johnson and
of course Lewis on the
floor. No need for Emy
but Strikland should
have been in there. King?
Well maybe if she's setting
a pick...no need for her
rebounding with 2.5 left.

As far as the substituting,
What else is new. Harris
HAS to be on the floor
late in reg. and in OT. Emy
did very little today. I've
mentioned she's improved,
but it's not enough to take
minutes from Lewis, Harris,
and Weshenitz. Worse yet,
last game I bitched on here
about Strikland getting so
few minutes despite playing
well. Today?....37 minutes.
She deserves them , but
where's the logic? I've never
seen player rotations,
minutes earned, or the use
of platooning like with this
team.

Gave ND all they could handle the other day too. H2P
I posted earlier in
another thread that
since the VT game (a
game they lost but a
game they played well)
they've looked much,
much better. VT was
ranked # 12 at the time.
Fla St blew them out,
but other than that I
felt they could have
won a few more.

I'm still wondering what
A.D. Lyke and White are
dicussing relative to his
future here at Pitt.

I'll go back and look
at it but I'm pretty sure
they had Johnson and
of course Lewis on the
floor. No need for Emy
but Strikland should
have been in there. King?
Well maybe if she's setting
a pick...no need for her
rebounding with 2.5 left.

Johnson, Lewis, Hayford, King and Strickland. Should have had Harris and Hutcherson in for Hayford and King. She didn't play much so I can understand Malcolm not being out there, but she would have been a better option as well.

As already mentioned GT
blew it with 2.5 on the
clock and up 3.....gotta foul
in that situation.

Hayford defintely has to be
off the floor and replaced
by Harris. As for Hutcherson
in place of King....Ok. I'll go
with you on that. Despite
it all, they HIT the three
anyway. Go figure. LOL

Thoughts on what you think
is transpiring beween Lyke
and White? My guess is
White is pressing hard to be
retained with his argument
being he's got them playing
much better bball. I'm sure
he's saying they're now
competitive with a few of
of the lesser ACC teams,
also ND, Duke and VT.
and he has a Big signed for
next year.

Much as I’d like to see Coach White turn it around, I just don’t see it happening. Seems to me that a coach can elevate the program in two ways. One is to bring in high-level talent. Coach has brought in some decent players, but not any high-end difference makers.
The second way is to have a well-coached team of “decent” players with a system suited to their talents.

From his years here, I haven’t seen evidence that Coach White can do either. I think his assistant coaching changes helped some offensively this season. I can’t get over that Coach was totally unprepared for Rita to transfer out - leaving the starting post players as six-footers. Tough to give our opponents those extra possessions from being out-rebounded, especially when our shooting is so inconsistent…

Go Pitt.

This is year 5 and they are 2-12 in the ACC with 4 games remaining. Their two wins so far this season came against teams that are a combined 7-22 in conference and they have no out of conference wins against a major conference. Sorry, it doesn't take six years to show you can get anywhere close to a .500 record in basketball, let alone win more than 3 games in a conference, which he's only done once. That's the five year high water mark so far...3 conference wins in 2021. Maybe they get to 3 wins again this year with BC coming up, but that's just a flat out inexcusably awful record for year five of a coaching tenure, not to mention the combined 5 year record of .301 (.123 ACC). No coach in any sport would be retained after that. What on earth would ever give anyone the impression White is going to have this program competing for ACC titles in the near or distant future?

There is really no excuse to keep White, no matter how affable he is.

Last edited:
Unless he somehow has a buyout that Pitt doesn't want to pay, they simply can't keep him any longer. His tenure has been a disaster. He took over a bad team, and after five years they aren't really any better.

He simply has to go.

I posted earlier in
another thread that
since the VT game (a
game they lost but a
game they played well)
they've looked much,
much better. VT was
ranked # 12 at the time.
Fla St blew them out,
but other than that I
felt they could have