ADVERTISEMENT

Women lost to Duquesne this afternoon

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
63-54. The main problem today was that Pitt just could not make a shot. They missed open layups, they missed open threes, they missed and missed and then missed some more.

The other problem this afternoon was the recurring one of rebounding. It is not normally a good sign when your leading rebounder is your point guard, and Pitt did that again today for the second or third time already this season.

Duquesne had a nice run to open up a decent lead at the beginning and then Pitt made a comeback to take a one point lead in the second quarter. Duquesne followed that up with another nice run to take a 14 point lead midway through the third quarter. Then Pitt made a nice comeback to get it back down to three points after the first possession of the fourth quarter. And once again Duquesne made a nice run to get it back to 12 midway through the half. It was 61-49 half way through the fourth and I'm thinking that Pitt is going to need to come close to shutting them out the rest of the way to catch up considering how poorly they were shooting the ball. And damned if they didn't almost shut them out the rest of the way. Duquesne didn't score again until there were only 21 seconds left in the game. Unfortunately, in all that time Pitt only managed to score three points. Which isn't exactly the way to make a comeback. Duquesne went from 5:37 to 0:21 without scoring, and Pitt almost matched that by going from 4:30 to 1:03 without a point. To say the least, it was a frustrating afternoon for the Panthers.

I'm not sure what is up with Aysia Bugg, but her game has completely deteriorated. 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 turnovers in 16 minutes. Benched twice for poor play. I don't know what is up but she simply has to play better for this team to be better.

Kauai Bradley also shot 1-6. Destinie Gibbs gave 19 minutes of 1-4. Cassidy Walsh was 1-3 in 17 minutes. That's four players who played a total of 77 minutes and went 4-18 from the field. Of the nine players who got into the game the only one to make half or more of her shots was Kalista Walters, who ended up 4-6 from the field.

63-54. The main problem today was that Pitt just could not make a shot. They missed open layups, they missed open threes, they missed and missed and then missed some more.

The other problem this afternoon was the recurring one of rebounding. It is not normally a good sign when your leading rebounder is your point guard, and Pitt did that again today for the second or third time already this season.

Duquesne had a nice run to open up a decent lead at the beginning and then Pitt made a comeback to take a one point lead in the second quarter. Duquesne followed that up with another nice run to take a 14 point lead midway through the third quarter. Then Pitt made a nice comeback to get it back down to three points after the first possession of the fourth quarter. And once again Duquesne made a nice run to get it back to 12 midway through the half. It was 61-49 half way through the fourth and I'm thinking that Pitt is going to need to come close to shutting them out the rest of the way to catch up considering how poorly they were shooting the ball. And damned if they didn't almost shut them out the rest of the way. Duquesne didn't score again until there were only 21 seconds left in the game. Unfortunately, in all that time Pitt only managed to score three points. Which isn't exactly the way to make a comeback. Duquesne went from 5:37 to 0:21 without scoring, and Pitt almost matched that by going from 4:30 to 1:03 without a point. To say the least, it was a frustrating afternoon for the Panthers.

I'm not sure what is up with Aysia Bugg, but her game has completely deteriorated. 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 turnovers in 16 minutes. Benched twice for poor play. I don't know what is up but she simply has to play better for this team to be better.

Kauai Bradley also shot 1-6. Destinie Gibbs gave 19 minutes of 1-4. Cassidy Walsh was 1-3 in 17 minutes. That's four players who played a total of 77 minutes and went 4-18 from the field. Of the nine players who got into the game the only one to make half or more of her shots was Kalista Walters, who ended up 4-6 from the field.
So they own Pittburgh now, a clean sweep. What else do we play them in, Ultimate Frisbee I hope.

So they own Pittburgh now, a clean sweep. What else do we play them in, Ultimate Frisbee I hope.

We've played them so far in men's basketball (a loss), women's basketball (a loss), women's soccer (a loss) and men's soccer (a win!). I think they are in a swim meet at Pitt after the first of the year and I am sure that the track and field teams will compete against each other in an invitational or two, but that's the only sports we would play them in that I can think of. In any event, the series has not been kind to our Panthers this season.

Every dog has it's day. The Dukes men just got lucky. The women are another story. It's getting very lopsided in Duquesne's favor. For now, they're the big dog on the block. Next year the game is at the Pete. Time to get the ball rolling.

Every dog has it's day. The Dukes men just got lucky. The women are another story. It's getting very lopsided in Duquesne's favor. For now, they're the big dog on the block. Next year the game is at the Pete. Time to get the ball rolling.

Agree on all accounts..

I don't follow women's ball. Is Burt a better coach, and was SMS success at Duquesne due mainly due to him?

I don't think it's the coaching; it's the recruiting. Coach Suzie has really disappointed in recruiting - especially with the credentials she has. Duquesne does a nice job of augmenting the local talent with international players - especially tall international players.

Plus, Pitt's best two players from last years team are not playing this season. Both would be juniors and ready to make some noise but Carey transferred out and Yacine Diop has been injured all season.

The quality of the players Coach Suzie has brought in has been really disappointing after her first full class. And women's players seem to get a lot of injuries, at least Pitt's players have.

The team could be at least decent next season -- Coach Suzie finally signed some true inside players in the recruiting class, and Diop will be back (I hope she redshirts so she has two full seasons left but I fear that Coach Suzie will get more desperate and play her this season).

Go Pitt.

I don't think it's the coaching; it's the recruiting. Coach Suzie has really disappointed in recruiting - especially with the credentials she has. Duquesne does a nice job of augmenting the local talent with international players - especially tall international players.

Plus, Pitt's best two players from last years team are not playing this season. Both would be juniors and ready to make some noise but Carey transferred out and Yacine Diop has been injured all season.

The quality of the players Coach Suzie has brought in has been really disappointing after her first full class. And women's players seem to get a lot of injuries, at least Pitt's players have.

The team could be at least decent next season -- Coach Suzie finally signed some true inside players in the recruiting class, and Diop will be back (I hope she redshirts so she has two full seasons left but I fear that Coach Suzie will get more desperate and play her this season).

Go Pitt.
Agree! There is no doubt that Suzie is a very good coach (as is Burt), the combination of talent and experience aren't there. Suzie is going to have to coach up the roster she has, and hope that when they have a couple of years under their belt, that they can compete with the middle teams in the ACC. If she can establish Pitt as a top half ACC team that can reach the NCAAs, she then might be able to upgrade her recruiting. Elite players aren't going to want to come to a cellar dweller. Even if everything breaks her way, it'll be a long road for Pitt to be able to compete with the elite of the ACC. Patience will be needed. Since Suzie is a local legend, Pitt is much more likely to be patient with her than they would be with an outsider.

Reactions: jctrack
Yacine Diop has been injured all season.

It looked like she was still in a cast this afternoon. She was still using that little cart thing to get around. I think this team is really missing her right now. She could be frustrating at times, but she also had the ability when the team was shooting the ball as poorly as they did today to drive to the hoop and create some offense or at least get to the line. No one on this team right now seems to have the ability to do that. It got a little better in the second half, but at half time today Pitt still hadn't shot a foul shot.

It's hard to understand at this point in Suzie's tenure, how did Agnus manage to achieve so much at Pitt, and then manage to blow it all up?

Pitt managed to compete against pretty much everyone in the Big East other than UConn.

It's hard to understand at this point in Suzie's tenure, how did Agnus manage to achieve so much at Pitt, and then manage to blow it all up?

Pitt managed to compete against pretty much everyone in the Big East other than UConn.
Marcedes Walker and Shavonte Zellous. After they left, Pitt fell apart. When Suzie had Brianna Kiesel, the team did very well. You just have to get those types of players. Not easy though.

Marcedes Walker and Shavonte Zellous. After they left, Pitt fell apart. When Suzie had Brianna Kiesel, the team did very well. You just have to get those types of players. Not easy though.

Walker was a big recruit (no pun intended) for sure, especially when Agnus had nothing from the previous regime. She also brought Mallorie Winn from GT. Zellous, however, was a really low recruit. I think Pitt might have been one of the only schools on her.

Those weren't the only ones though. Xenia Stewart was also very good, as was Taneisha Harrison.

Go back and look at that 07-08 roster. She had a lot of talent. It was the 10-11 team that drove me away from the women's program. That senior class of Harrison/Scott/Sims/Cole should've been stellar, yet they finished 14-17.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT