ADVERTISEMENT

Worst weather Pitt home games you remember or attended?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
What were the worst weather (rain, snow, cold) Pitt home games you remember or attended? I can't recall any terribly snowy games or terribly cold games (not like the Raiders at Steelers frigid game last Christmas Eve).

The ones that come to my old mind are:
Rain: 1986 versus Miami where it seemed like it was Ironhead Heyward vs the mighty Hurricanes. I remember water running down the steps of Pitt Stadium.
Snow: 1977 versus Penn State with Elliott Walker being stopped near the goal line.
2009 versus Cincinnati. Even though it didn't accumulate, it snowed lightly throughout the game.
Cold: 1977 versus Penn State as well because of the wind.

I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few. Other bad weather Pitt home games?

Reactions: Parkview57
Worst Pitt game I remember being at, weather-wise, might have been the Buffalo game in 2011. The air was thick enough to eat, and our clothes were completely stuck to us.

Most of the cold Pitt games I was at were mainly a result of dressing way too lightly. But they don't hold a candle to some of the Steeler games I've been to (including that Christmas Eve game last season, the infamous Miami Monday night game, and multiple others).

I know you said home games, but the game at UCF was the worse ever. Like watching a game on the planet Mercury. Hottest home game, the Oklahoma State one was pretty bad, or maybe the on field performance made it seem worse.

Other home games. the monsoon versus Temple in 1987 I think? Also in 1987, there was a game after the nits against Kent or someone like that in November. Snow and freezing cold.

The Miami game in 2003 was pretty cold.

Reactions: CCHS82
Worst Pitt game I remember being at, weather-wise, might have been the Buffalo game in 2011. The air was thick enough to eat, and our clothes were completely stuck to us.

Most of the cold Pitt games I was at were mainly a result of dressing way too lightly. But they don't hold a candle to some of the Steeler games I've been to (including that Christmas Eve game last season, the infamous Miami Monday night game, and multiple others).

that Steeler game last year was insane, I don't know how anyone was able to sit outside for that one, let alone on Christmas Eve. Surprised it was as well attended as it was

that Steeler game last year was insane, I don't know how anyone was able to sit outside for that one, let alone on Christmas Eve. Surprised it was as well attended as it was

It honestly wasn't too bad, because I dressed for the occasion. I'll take the coldest day with proper dress over the games that are "sneaky cold," where I'm sitting there shivering like a jackass. I can remember a few of those against WVU back in the Big East days.

VT 2003 cold as hell with the wind.

Psu 2018 was a monsoon but in sept so it wasn't cold.

2021 UNC when it got to the end of the game was brutal rain. I ended up getting a hotel for the night rather than driving for hours in the rain on the turnpike.

Home: 2003 Miami Game - Cold

Away: 1983 Cotton Bowl - Sleet / Cold
I remember the 2003 Miami game. My buddies from Oil City were in town for the game and were all cold but thankfully, I was dressed warm enough and I didn't think it was that bad.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
It honestly wasn't too bad, because I dressed for the occasion. I'll take the coldest day with proper dress over the games that are "sneaky cold," where I'm sitting there shivering like a jackass. I can remember a few of those against WVU back in the Big East days.

yeah, pretty much any Thanksgiving weekend game was sneaky cold, Rolling the dice with the weather at that time of year.

I remember the 2003 Miami game. My buddies from Oil City were in town for the game and were all cold but thankfully, I was dressed warm enough and I didn't think it was that bad.

everyone thought the weather was going to impact the hurricanes. They came out shirtless for pre-game. Kind of set the tone for a blow out win.

Unfortunately, I didn't dress as warm as I should have. To this day my wife reminds me how cold she was at that game...

Cold: November 1989 against East Carolina. I was 10 at the time and it was incredibly cold and windy.

I vividly remember sitting in the end zone on those metal benches with my family. The concessions in the end zone were closed and you couldn’t leave the area because this was when Pitt still had the fences up so you couldn’t move to the sideline from the end zone sections. That meant you couldn’t get coffee or hot chocolate or anything to keep you warm.

Pitt won the game by less than a touchdown but it was only because East Carolina ran out of time. The defense couldn’t stop anybody.

Maybe it was because I was so young but the memory of how cold I was has stuck with me to this day. I honestly can’t think of another time in my life when I was colder.

H2P

VT 2003 cold as hell with the wind.

Psu 2018 was a monsoon but in sept so it wasn't cold.

2021 UNC when it got to the end of the game was brutal rain. I ended up getting a hotel for the night rather than driving for hours in the rain on the turnpike.

2019 UNC was pretty cold, but it was another one of those situations where I was expecting it so I didn't underdress. Duke last year - same thing.

1977 pitt vs penn st in a snow storm. 2018 acc championship. Tailgated all day and it rained hard all day. Last year Duke game was cold

Pitt Stadium November 15, 1997 vs Syracuse. Typical late fall day (temp's were in the high 20's low 30's with snow blowing occasionally). Syracuse had Donovan McNabb as QB; I think we had Pete Gonzalez. Syracuse led 19-0 in the fourth quarter before Pitt stormed back, scoring 27 points in less than a quarter, but the last TD left too much time on the clock, and McNabb threw a 24-yard touchdown pass to Quinton Spotwood with 28 seconds left for a 32-27 victory

This was probably the last game I saw @ Pitt Stadium

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Kent State 1987. Ironhead left, Ironhead right, Ironhead up the middle.
Snow piles in the stadium. Cold!!!

2021 UNC when it got to the end of the game was brutal rain

Yeah, it was, but come on, it was in the 60s that night. It's a lot worse when it's 40 and raining than 60 and raining.

If you want a cold game, the kickoff temperature for the Duke game last season was 29 degrees, and it was also a little windy. That's surely not the coldest game ever, but it's on the short list. At least it was in the afternoon, so it didn't keep getting colder as the game went on.

What were the worst weather (rain, snow, cold) Pitt home games you remember or attended? I can't recall any terribly snowy games or terribly cold games (not like the Raiders at Steelers frigid game last Christmas Eve).

The ones that come to my old mind are:
Rain: 1986 versus Miami where it seemed like it was Ironhead Heyward vs the mighty Hurricanes. I remember water running down the steps of Pitt Stadium.
Snow: 1977 versus Penn State with Elliott Walker being stopped near the goal line.
2009 versus Cincinnati. Even though it didn't accumulate, it snowed lightly throughout the game.
Cold: 1977 versus Penn State as well because of the wind.

I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few. Other bad weather Pitt home games?
I know this isn't what you are looking for, but I thought it deserved mention. February 6, 2010, 20 inches of snow fell on Pittsburgh. The game was not cancelled, but officials asked that people not come to the Seton Hall game at the Pete.

Only two of the 2 refs made it to the game. But myself and plenty of others still did. A crowd of 6,681 was announced which was silly because there were no tickets or turnstiles -- fans just walked right in. And the crowd was closer to half that anyway.

Nonetheless, inside the weather was wonderful and so was the game as the Hoopers won by 25.

Around 1970 or 71 agains ND. Rained so hard that in the second half the game was played and both teams allowed the clock to run non-stop thru the half. ND was also up by a lot so it did not matter.

Canes thought it was refreshing. Had first row endzone balcony 524 and just maybe this game pushed us to the clubs. Lol.

I believe the 2000 opening game against kent state was delayed because of nasty thunderstorms and lightning delay.

Cold doesn't bother me because you can prepare for it. 09 cincy was perfect cold atmosphere as someone already noted. Cuse in 2016 was cold as well.

I also recall BC in 04 as non stop rain. That was the game Palko trucked the BC player on the sideline.

WVU was always at night and cold. The 04 Thanksgiving day night against WVU was really cold.

I don't do cold weather very well.

Miami 2003 was the game that seemed to bother me the most.
My season tix that year were up top. With the wind it was brutal. It didn't help that the Panthers fell behind real bad before halftime. That made it seem even colder.

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but I thought it deserved mention. February 6, 2010, 20 inches of snow fell on Pittsburgh. The game was not cancelled, but officials asked that people not come to the Seton Hall game at the Pete.

Only two of the 2 refs made it to the game. But myself and plenty of others still did. A crowd of 6,681 was announced which was silly because there were no tickets or turnstiles -- fans just walked right in. And the crowd was closer to half that anyway.

Nonetheless, inside the weather was wonderful and so was the game as the Hoopers won by 25.

That must have been a year or two after we stopped getting season tickets, because I remember buying a pair from some lady who lived in Squirrel Hill. We got to her street and there was nowhere to park because of the snow banks on the roads, so I said eff that and just took the loss (though I think she refunded me out of kindness - and probably sympathy for anyone who was stupid enough to navigate that weather in a Ford Fusion - anyway). Driving that day was a freaking adventure.

Rutgers in 2012 was cold, a few flurries, and had a fairly steady wind. 2018 Vs the Nitters in the hurricane was a soaker. Narduzzi’s first game in 2015 vs YSU felt like being 8n a broiler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT