ADVERTISEMENT

Worst weather Pitt home games you remember or attended?

I'd say both the past PSU games 16 was so hot 18 was a downpour

@Akron might been the worst Rain wise for me.

I don't mind the snow games so all those are okay.

Cold ehhh it is what it is.

But them really hot games are miserable and rain.

I'd say both the past PSU games 16 was so hot 18 was a downpour

@Akron might been the worst Rain wise for me.

I don't mind the snow games so all those are okay.

Cold ehhh it is what it is.

But them really hot games are miserable and rain.

yeah that first nitter game at Heinz was brutally hot. But since it was the first meeting in years, and all the energy in the stadium, I really didn't notice it.

2022 Georgia Tech was misery, total downpour.

2011 Buffalo was quite hot from what I remember.

2022 Georgia Tech was misery, total downpour.

2011 Buffalo was quite hot from what I remember.

Incorrect. The rain stopped early in the 1st Quarter for 2022 GT. Was a very slight drizzle for a little while then no rain at all. It was miserable all day though. I was 100% planning on sitting under the roof for that game but no, need. No rain so I sat in my regular seats and it was fine.

I know you said home games, but the game at UCF was the worse ever. Like watching a game on the planet Mercury. Hottest home game, the Oklahoma State one was pretty bad, or maybe the on field performance made it seem worse.

Other home games. the monsoon versus Temple in 1987 I think? Also in 1987, there was a game after the nits against Kent or someone like that in November. Snow and freezing cold.

The Miami game in 2003 was pretty cold.
Yes. I believe that game against Kent in 1987 was around 13 degrees. Froze my rear end off.

Another bad weather game I remember was when Pitt played at Akron in 2015 was pretty rough. Torrential downpour. I had a rain suit and I was still soaked to the bone. And there was nowhere to take cover.

Yes. I believe that game against Kent in 1987 was around 13 degrees. Froze my rear end off.

Another bad weather game I remember was when Pitt played at Akron in 2015 was pretty rough. Torrential downpour. I had a rain suit and I was still soaked to the bone. And there was nowhere to take cover.

Under the 2nd deck.

Even though the weather was fine that day, the flood game against Nebraska was surreal. Entire docks of boats floating down the river and crashing into trees in the totally flooded Point State Park, Pitt punting on 3rd down twice like it was the CFL, Nebraska with a comfortable lead recklessly throwing the ball which lead to Pitt almost coming back and winning the game.

Reactions: jivecat
Even though the weather was fine that day, the flood game against Nebraska was surreal. Entire docks of boats floating down the river and crashing into trees in the totally flooded Point State Park, Pitt punting on 3rd down twice like it was the CFL, Nebraska with a comfortable lead recklessly throwing the ball which lead to Pitt almost coming back and winning the game.
That was an amazing experience. The weather was beautiful that day but the impact from the previous week was crazy.

Coming on the turnpike there were parts of the road with one lane closed because of mudslides blocking the right lane. I parked downtown that day and walked across the clemente bridge and the water was so high it was almost touching the bridge.

Syracuse at Pitt, 1985. A soaker. I remember it because it was the first time I left a game early after getting into a spat with my then girlfriend who bitched about the rain. Should have left her home to begin with. Pitt lost, 12-0.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
That was an amazing experience. The weather was beautiful that day but the impact from the previous week was crazy.

I think it was the previous day more so than previous week. But as you said it was a beautiful day, like the calm after the storm. I remember the always popular Smizik had an article calling out Pitt fans since attendance was low for such a big name opponent (around 40k) even though the region was cleaning up from a massive flood. Somethings never change.

Incorrect. The rain stopped early in the 1st Quarter for 2022 GT. Was a very slight drizzle for a little while then no rain at all. It was miserable all day though. I was 100% planning on sitting under the roof for that game but no, need. No rain so I sat in my regular seats and it was fine.
Ah, true. It was just a sh**ty day entirely. The best part was eating at Buca di Beppo in SouthSide.

What were the worst weather (rain, snow, cold) Pitt home games you remember or attended? I can't recall any terribly snowy games or terribly cold games (not like the Raiders at Steelers frigid game last Christmas Eve).

The ones that come to my old mind are:
Rain: 1986 versus Miami where it seemed like it was Ironhead Heyward vs the mighty Hurricanes. I remember water running down the steps of Pitt Stadium.
Snow: 1977 versus Penn State with Elliott Walker being stopped near the goal line.
2009 versus Cincinnati. Even though it didn't accumulate, it snowed lightly throughout the game.
Cold: 1977 versus Penn State as well because of the wind.

I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few. Other bad weather Pitt home games?
The 77 PSU game was cold and snowy like you said. It was my Freshman Year and the student section was down at that endzone. I had a good look at it and I'll go my grave believing that Walker scored.

Had tickets for the Miami game in 86 with my buddy. We were getting our pre-game drink on at Denny's on Louisa St. It was raining so hard we just stayed there for the first half and walked up to the stadium at halftime.

Last edited:
Pitt temple at Pitt stadium (86 or 87) monsoon

I looked it up and it was 87. Strange year, Gottfried's best Pitt team but somehow lost the monsoon game to Temple and another home game to an average Boston College while beating the nits, WVU & ND. Also lost to Syracuse but they were actually the beast of the east and finished the season 11-0.

Went on to lose the BlueBonnet bowl finishing 8-4 and unranked. At least we put the BlueBonnet bowl out of business that year. I wonder if Bozik ever got the money, lol.

Gottfried is another one in the long list of average coaches. Did less with more. I'd take Narduzzi over him anytime.

yeah that first nitter game at Heinz was brutally hot. But since it was the first meeting in years, and all the energy in the stadium, I really didn't notice it.
It was unbelievably hot that day. I recall seeing at least 2 people being carried out by medics. There was a ton of drinking pregame, so that could've been part of it, but definitely people were being stretchered out.

The 77 PSU game was cold and snowy like you said. It was my Freshman Year and the student section was down at that endzone. I had a good look at it and I'll go my grave believing that Walker scored.

Had tickets for the Miami game in 86 with my buddy. We were getting our pre-game drink on at Denny's on Louisa St. It was raining so hard we just stayed there for the first half and walked up to the stadium at halftime.
He scored and Rudy was offsides. We have had to live with it for more years than most posters here.

Elliott Walker allegedly being stopped near the goal line...there I fixed it for ya...That 77 game had snow but it was also damn cold for November...seem to remember it being in the low 20s by the end of the game..Some stupid kid (who shall remain nameless) drank his whole thermos (yes you could take them in back in the day) of hot chocolate on bus trip to the game...
My older brother and I won a contest, or something, as paperboys, and we rode down to that game on a school bus from over in Natrona Heights. It was so miserable. I fainted, sort of a white-out, against the wall at the top of the north end zone. I don't think we took a thermos, we should have.

The weather for that Akron game started out pretty ok. Our group had a great tailgate, but it was terrible by the time the game started. It was hard to describe how cold that game was

We ate at a Cracker Barrel after the game. I don’t think I’ve ever been more satisfied by a hot tea and a chicken fried steak

My son and I went to that game in a Honda Accord. I had been outside clearing our driveway and thought that the roads seemed fine. Thankfully we didn't encounter anything that seemed at all hazardous.

To go further afield, I was in law school when Pitt closed the university during a bitter cold snap, after the Governor declared an "energy emergency." I bought a knit cap from the University Shop because my ears felt frostbitten, and my eyelashes froze walking to Ruskin Hall.
Going way back - PItt played Miami at the Field House opposite a Steelers playoff game and during an ice storm . There were literally 35 people there including players and staff.

A certain regular poster here ( not me ) was there , sat center court and was the only fan visible on TV . Lol

This game semi-reminded me of the 1970 Pitt - WVU game where we came back from 35-7 to win by a point. Much of that game's crowd had left by the third quarter, too
I was at that game at a 9 year old kid. Its what got be hooked on Pitt!!! I don't remember the weather being bad, but who knows. Final 36-35 ( I think it was 35-8 at half)

I was at that game at a 9 year old kid. Its what got be hooked on Pitt!!! I don't remember the weather being bad, but who knows. Final 36-35 ( I think it was 35-8 at half)
@CentPaPittFan - it wasn't the weather @ the 1970 Pitt/WVU game that reminded me of the 1997 Pitt/Syracuse game; it was how similar it was with the opponent blowing us out in one half and our coming back in the other. Cool though to hear that the Pitt/WVU 1970 game got you hooked on Pitt. I was a freshman @ Pitt that year so my allegiance was pretty well established by my matriculation 😀

@CentPaPittFan - it wasn't the weather @ the 1970 Pitt/WVU game that reminded me of the 1997 Pitt/Syracuse game; it was how similar it was with the opponent blowing us out in one half and our coming back in the other. Cool though to hear that the Pitt/WVU 1970 game got you hooked on Pitt. I was a freshman @ Pitt that year so my allegiance was pretty well established by my matriculation 😀
Yea I,kind of figured that but wasn’t sure
as a high school junior, or sophomore , me and my buddy would come out to basketball games at the Fieldhouse, and sit in the student section
It was probably 77 or 78 but Pitt had a decent team, but top 10 Syracuse came to town with relatively new coach Jim Boeheim and all their hype
Clancy out played Roosevelt Bouie, I believe Sammy Ellis, Dwayne Wallace, Carlton,Neverson Dave Olinger, Were the other starters
I’m sure I missed one or two wrong, but anyway, Pitt pulled the big upset and I was hooked on basketball to.

Another memorable game was in January 1979 or 80 and Clancy again out played Jeff, Ruland and Iona, who were highly ranked that year with none other than Jim Valvano as the coach. I’m about 99% sure Iona beat Louisville that year who ended up national champs so it would’ve been 1980.

Reactions: Chairman Moe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT