ADVERTISEMENT

Worst weather Pitt home games you remember or attended?

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but I thought it deserved mention. February 6, 2010, 20 inches of snow fell on Pittsburgh. The game was not cancelled, but officials asked that people not come to the Seton Hall game at the Pete.

Only two of the 2 refs made it to the game. But myself and plenty of others still did. A crowd of 6,681 was announced which was silly because there were no tickets or turnstiles -- fans just walked right in. And the crowd was closer to half that anyway.

Nonetheless, inside the weather was wonderful and so was the game as the Hoopers won by 25.
My son and I went to that game in a Honda Accord. I had been outside clearing our driveway and thought that the roads seemed fine. Thankfully we didn't encounter anything that seemed at all hazardous.

To go further afield, I was in law school when Pitt closed the university during a bitter cold snap, after the Governor declared an "energy emergency." I bought a knit cap from the University Shop because my ears felt frostbitten, and my eyelashes froze walking to Ruskin Hall.

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but I thought it deserved mention. February 6, 2010, 20 inches of snow fell on Pittsburgh. The game was not cancelled, but officials asked that people not come to the Seton Hall game at the Pete.

Only two of the 2 refs made it to the game. But myself and plenty of others still did. A crowd of 6,681 was announced which was silly because there were no tickets or turnstiles -- fans just walked right in. And the crowd was closer to half that anyway.

Nonetheless, inside the weather was wonderful and so was the game as the Hoopers won by 25.
Attended this game just to get something hot to eat since we had no power and most restaurants were closed.

Rutgers in 2012 was cold, a few flurries, and had a fairly steady wind. 2018 Vs the Nitters in the hurricane was a soaker. Narduzzi’s first game in 2015 vs YSU felt like being 8n a broiler.

I don't think the 2018 nitter game was that bad. It was a steady rain, but not heavy. The road game at akron I think in 2015, or the 1987 Temple game were worse.

Cincinnati game that determined BEeat champ was frigid.. away was Akron in freezing rain. Did attend a navy game at pitt stadium in downpour 1989? Cigar juice neatly killed me... Yes we were smoking in the 20% full stadium.

Reactions: Panther Holla
Military bowl was obviously an away game but that day was freaking cold as well

Remember a game at Pitt Stadium against Temple, probably back in the 80's.
It was raining sideways and you could bearing see the field. Could have been the leftovers of a hurricane.
Does anyone remember the year?
1987, as a few people have mentioned previously. In spite of the weather, it was a classic Ironhead versus Paul Palmer duel. I think Ironhead matched his poundage with yardage that night.

Reactions: Panther Holla
Pitt vs. Temple in the rain was in 1986. The game in 1987 was also at night but the weather was fine. Sal Genilla was not.

I believe the 2000 opening game against kent state was delayed because of nasty thunderstorms and lightning delay.

Cold doesn't bother me because you can prepare for it. 09 cincy was perfect cold atmosphere as someone already noted. Cuse in 2016 was cold as well.

I also recall BC in 04 as non stop rain. That was the game Palko trucked the BC player on the sideline.

WVU was always at night and cold. The 04 Thanksgiving day night against WVU was really cold.
The 04 game against the hoopies is one of mine for sure. If I recall correctly that was the first real cold day of that year so you didn’t get any time to adjust. It was right into a deep freeze.

There was another WVU game probably 10 years or so ago give or take. Wasn’t as cold on the thermometer but our seats were near a wind tunnel so it was brutal. Pitt stink it out so we bailed and went to the bars.

Not a Pitt game but I was at the Steeler game when Bettis trucked Urlacher. Snowed like hell for 10-15 minutes. Got soaked so that got to be bone chilling too.

Cold: November 1989 against East Carolina. I was 10 at the time and it was incredibly cold and windy.

I vividly remember sitting in the end zone on those metal benches with my family. The concessions in the end zone were closed and you couldn’t leave the area because this was when Pitt still had the fences up so you couldn’t move to the sideline from the end zone sections. That meant you couldn’t get coffee or hot chocolate or anything to keep you warm.

Pitt won the game by less than a touchdown but it was only because East Carolina ran out of time. The defense couldn’t stop anybody.

Maybe it was because I was so young but the memory of how cold I was has stuck with me to this day. I honestly can’t think of another time in my life when I was colder.

H2P
I remember that game well. I wasn’t there but was listening to it on the radio in Youngstown. Pitt was down 21-7 and ECU was driving to score again when Crossman picked off a pass and ran almost 90 yards for a TD.

Then Pitt was ahead 47-28 and the Pirates scored two late TDs and if they got ball again would’ve won. No idea where the D was that day.

I don't remember the exact game, but it was in 2021 or 22, I believe a night game. The temperature was around 50 degrees but with the wind it felt like it was in the 30s. I've sat through rain, snow, extreme heat, and frigid temperatures and this was the most miserable I've ever been at a game due to the weather.

I was at the 1986 Temple game. It was a Saturday night and the rain was coming down so hard that you would have thought it was the American side of Niagara Falls. Cascading water down the idle steps in waves. It was brutal

there was a game I believe against Akron in 97 or 98 where it just rained all day at the old stadium. Hardly anyone was there. It was kind of cold if I remember correctly. Bad atmosphere.

Miami 2003 hands down. Plus the way that game turned out made it that much worse.

I remember getting hot chocolate for my Girlfriend at the time and by the time I got back to the front of the student section it was basically ice cold.

Pitt at Buffalo, maybe 2012. Game was played in sunshine, rain, snow and sleet. Started nice and ended nasty. It was played in the evening. We won but experienced every condition.

I was there, and also picked up my brother and drove to the game. His wife (and mine) thought we were crazy.

Yeah. Any that Lousaka Polite VT game was damn cold too.
Yes! Probably colder than the Miami game a week or two later..... but it is amazing how the ending can affect our memory of the cold. My favorite game ever in Heinz. If you watch the old broadcast of that game on youtube Herbstreit and Fowler where bundled up and they did pan out at some time to show frozen water on one of the rivers. I remember giving my jacket to a girl behind me who was freezing. I had about a quart of whiskey and a sweatshirt to stay warm.

Ped state TD's sophomore year. Bitter cold on Thanksgiving. The Temple downpour with my wife and 5 year old daughter.

Yes! Probably colder than the Miami game a week or two later..... but it is amazing how the ending can affect our memory of the cold. My favorite game ever in Heinz. If you watch the old broadcast of that game on youtube Herbstreit and Fowler where bundled up and they did pan out at some time to show frozen water on one of the rivers. I remember giving my jacket to a girl behind me who was freezing. I had about a quart of whiskey and a sweatshirt to stay warm.
The thing I remember is when LP went in I thought it took the ref forever to raise his arms. Watching the replay it was barely a second.

Reactions: Conemaugh
Miami was supposed to be the opponent in 1987 but the game was moved to 1989 and Kent was the replacement. I would've preferred Kent in 1989 and that Panther team going 9-2-1.

Cold: November 1989 against East Carolina. I was 10 at the time and it was incredibly cold and windy.

I vividly remember sitting in the end zone on those metal benches with my family. The concessions in the end zone were closed and you couldn’t leave the area because this was when Pitt still had the fences up so you couldn’t move to the sideline from the end zone sections. That meant you couldn’t get coffee or hot chocolate or anything to keep you warm.

Pitt won the game by less than a touchdown but it was only because East Carolina ran out of time. The defense couldn’t stop anybody.

Maybe it was because I was so young but the memory of how cold I was has stuck with me to this day. I honestly can’t think of another time in my life when I was colder.

H2P

I was going to say this. Wasnt it a huge snowstorm too? I tried googling images or videos but none. We left at halftime. Other than that, the @ Akron game was the worst. But 99% of the small crowd watched from the concourse under cover. PSU 51-6 was probably 3rd.

WVU in 2010. It was freezing and Pitt got obliterated. And then, as we were leaving the parking lot, my buddy rolled down the passenger side window of my car to yell at a WVU fan. For whatever reason, the window would not roll back up so we spent the next hour and half driving back to Greensburg with bitterly cold wind whipping in our faces. Absolutely miserable.

Pitt Stadium November 15, 1997 vs Syracuse. Typical late fall day (temp's were in the high 20's low 30's with snow blowing occasionally). Syracuse had Donovan McNabb as QB; I think we had Pete Gonzalez. Syracuse led 19-0 in the fourth quarter before Pitt stormed back, scoring 27 points in less than a quarter, but the last TD left too much time on the clock, and McNabb threw a 24-yard touchdown pass to Quinton Spotwood with 28 seconds left for a 32-27 victory

This was probably the last game I saw @ Pitt Stadium
And as it would turn out, if we end up holding on we would have claimed a share of the Big East title and played in the Fiesta Bowl. I left that game halfway through the 3rd quarter and watched the comeback/letdown from our house on Semple St.

And as it would turn out, if we end up holding on we would have claimed a share of the Big East title and played in the Fiesta Bowl. I left that game halfway through the 3rd quarter and watched the comeback/letdown from our house on Semple St.
This game semi-reminded me of the 1970 Pitt - WVU game where we came back from 35-7 to win by a point. Much of that game's crowd had left by the third quarter, too

Reactions: LVNVPanther
Pitt at Buffalo, maybe 2012. Game was played in sunshine, rain, snow and sleet. Started nice and ended nasty. It was played in the evening. We won but experienced every condition.
I was there standing behind end zone when a gust came up and blew all the cameraman’s gear to hell. A bunch of us chased the stuff down for him.

I remember as a kid in highschool going to the game against BC in 1993. It was raining all game and completely miserable. Pitt lost 33-0 and attendance was only 10k.

What were the worst weather (rain, snow, cold) Pitt home games you remember or attended? I can't recall any terribly snowy games or terribly cold games (not like the Raiders at Steelers frigid game last Christmas Eve).

The ones that come to my old mind are:
Rain: 1986 versus Miami where it seemed like it was Ironhead Heyward vs the mighty Hurricanes. I remember water running down the steps of Pitt Stadium.
Snow: 1977 versus Penn State with Elliott Walker being stopped near the goal line.
2009 versus Cincinnati. Even though it didn't accumulate, it snowed lightly throughout the game.
Cold: 1977 versus Penn State as well because of the wind.

I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few. Other bad weather Pitt home games?
Elliott Walker allegedly being stopped near the goal line...there I fixed it for ya...That 77 game had snow but it was also damn cold for November...seem to remember it being in the low 20s by the end of the game..Some stupid kid (who shall remain nameless) drank his whole thermos (yes you could take them in back in the day) of hot chocolate on bus trip to the game...

Elliott Walker allegedly being stopped near the goal line...there I fixed it for ya...That 77 game had snow but it was also damn cold for November...seem to remember it being in the low 20s by the end of the game..Some stupid kid (who shall remain nameless) drank his whole thermos (yes you could take them in back in the day) of hot chocolate on bus trip to the game...

not weather related, but my first experience with beginning to dislike the nits came watching the 1975 game, when Carson Long missed every kick he tried and we lost 7-6. Of course the intense dislike began after 48-14, my first time attending a Pitt-PSU in person. It was my first exposure live to nitter fans in person and that kind of sealed my fate seeing how obnoxious they were after the game.

Pitt Stadium November 15, 1997 vs Syracuse. Typical late fall day (temp's were in the high 20's low 30's with snow blowing occasionally). Syracuse had Donovan McNabb as QB; I think we had Pete Gonzalez. Syracuse led 19-0 in the fourth quarter before Pitt stormed back, scoring 27 points in less than a quarter, but the last TD left too much time on the clock, and McNabb threw a 24-yard touchdown pass to Quinton Spotwood with 28 seconds left for a 32-27 victory

This was probably the last game I saw @ Pitt Stadium
And I still say Pitt recovered a Syracuse fumble. And my gang was at the Temple monsoon game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT