ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL conference idea

There isn't actually a state governing body for high school hockey in Pennsylvania.
True and I am not saying that there is. That's my bad on the words that I used. That being said, the governing bodies of the high school hockey leagues in the state (i.e. the PIHL) The point I was trying to make is that each of the teams "boards" are full of parents and most of them have no concept of the sport and what they are doing. They are only worried about their "Jimmy or Susie" winning a banner. I hate the concept that a group of parents can get together and select a level that their children should play at. If you are at a school like Norwin and you have a male enrollment of 500+, you should be playing against schools with similar numbers, not dropping down a level or two because the parents don't feel they have a good enough team.

True and I am not saying that there is. That's my bad on the words that I used. That being said, the governing bodies of the high school hockey leagues in the state (i.e. the PIHL) The point I was trying to make is that each of the teams "boards" are full of parents and most of them have no concept of the sport and what they are doing. They are only worried about their "Jimmy or Susie" winning a banner. I hate the concept that a group of parents can get together and select a level that their children should play at. If you are at a school like Norwin and you have a male enrollment of 500+, you should be playing against schools with similar numbers, not dropping down a level or two because the parents don't feel they have a good enough team.

You know more of this than I do but lets use Norwin in your example. If the parents want to play at a lower level, cant the PIHL (or other teams) step in and say, "wait a second, they may have been bad the last 5 years but now they have Jimmy playing for them and he is an elite player with Pens Elite?"

You know more of this than I do but lets use Norwin in your example. If the parents want to play at a lower level, cant the PIHL (or other teams) step in and say, "wait a second, they may have been bad the last 5 years but now they have Jimmy playing for them and he is an elite player with Pens Elite?"
Probably could, but they absolutely will not. Most of the league is parents who ran for a spot of the board of the organization and got elected. Try as they might, they still make the league decisions based upon what is good for their little jimmy and Susie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT