ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling National Tickets

nubepm

Redshirt
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2004
Since Pitt is the host school for the Nationals this year, will Panther Club members have the option of ordering tickets? I would assume we should get a nice allotment of tickets. Has anything been released by the ticket office?

Not sure how many tickets Pitt gets even though we are hosting. The NCAA controls all the tickets. Donating to the wrestling team certainly helps your getting tickets. Last year in Cleveland was the toughest ever getting tickets, at least good ones. I think it will be just as tough in Pittsbugh mostly because of PSU fans being close. Also OSU is good and fans also close. PSU has already rented out entire hotels in Pittsbugh. Getting rooms in the city is next to impossible already.

Not sure how many tickets Pitt gets even though we are hosting. The NCAA controls all the tickets. Donating to the wrestling team certainly helps your getting tickets. Last year in Cleveland was the toughest ever getting tickets, at least good ones. I think it will be just as tough in Pittsbugh mostly because of PSU fans being close. Also OSU is good and fans also close. PSU has already rented out entire hotels in Pittsbugh. Getting rooms in the city is next to impossible already.

Thanks for the info. I think our group will be staying in Harmarville. I usually watch on tv but since so close I thought we would attend this year. I think we will probably be looking at "peanut heaven" seats.

Reactions: DevilDog42
I have been to every NCAA wrestling tourney since 1981. I previously had been to 6 NCAA’s. Every year before last year in Cleveland you could buy all session tickets in lower bowl for face value on Thursday AM. Many people did not buy tickets ahead for that reason. Last year many got burned because there just weren’t good tickets available unless you spent around $600 for 260 dollar tickets. I think that will repeat this March.

I agree with thom67. It has become tougher and tougher to get seats in recent years. I didn’t go to Cleveland, but I have seen the trend over the last few years. I can remember showing up in College Park, MD without tickets and getting good seats at the door for the early sessions. (The later rounds have always been harder.) Plus, you often could move around to see matches of particular interest. I can remember seeing three of Wayde Schalles pins from closeup.

Now, although still not as hard to get as the Saturday sessions, the early rounds are getting tough. It is particularly true when the tournament is held in or near a wrestling hotbed. Even when it was held in St. Louis, which is not home to a traditional power, you had Missouri, the Oklahoma schools, Iowa and the other midwestern Big Ten schools all within easy driving distance.

Reactions: Amigo3
I would assume we should get a nice allotment of tickets. Has anything been released by the ticket office?

There has been a note on the Pitt website where they have ticket information for many months that states that even though the tournament is in Pittsburgh that Pitt will only get a "normal", very small allotment of tickets and that if people want tickets they need to get them through the NCAA.

From the Pitt web site:

2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship
On-Sale Date: Wednesday, March 14 at 10am

The 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship will be hosted in Pittsburgh at PPG Paints Arena. Our allotment, as is normally the case, will be extremely limited. Purchase your tickets directly from PPG Paints Arena to ensure yourself seats!

Thanks for all of your info and updates. I think I may just watch the coverage on ESPN, who did a great job last year, rather than sitting in the upper level seats. Heck, I can not even see the scoreboards from the upper level.

The arena does not get tickets. The ncaa controls all the tickets. Schools are allotted tickets based on their standings in the NCAA tournament and sponsors and others(ie. Hall of Fame) get allotments. I know this because my son has run 2 ncaa tourneys in st louis. Obviously, are a people have access to tickets, but usuly these tickets are sold to friends, sponsors, advertisers etc.

ADVERTISEMENT