ADVERTISEMENT

WTH? Tony Salesi let go.

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
What is to this change, because on the surface, this is appears to be a very poor decision by Capel and leads me to question his judgement.

That kind of wisdom, experience, and historical knowledge through over three decades of the program is priceless. There is a reason he has lasted as the head trainer through five coaching regimes.

Last edited:
What is to this change, because on the surface, this is appears to be a very poor decision by Capel and leads me to question his judgement.

That kind of wisdom, experience, and historical knowledge through four decades of the program is priceless. There is a reason he has lasted as the head trainer through five coaching regimes.

Also sounds like a good reason for a change

Relax

I dont know about the inside story, but I was an athletic training major at Pitt and worked closely with Tony in the mid-2000s. He is one of the most knowledgeable ATs I've ever met and he will truly be missed if true.

Reactions: BApanther
Again, this is not a substantive response.

Your question shows that you don't have substantive knowledge on Tony's role with the program the past 30 years. Nor does the person who made this decision, whoever that is, unless there is more to this behind the scenes.

People connected to the program are going to majorly pissed, and this has the ability to sever many ties to the program or administration from basketball and athletic alumni depending on why this was done.

Last edited:
The majority of Pitt's actions under Lyke have been positive, they have been made with reason, etc.. She seems to get it.

I trust her. If she let Tony Salesi go then I am going to make a good assumption that it was done for a specific reason. I am certain she didn't come into the office one day and say "Tony has been here for 30 years, I am going to can him because I feel like it today".

I think she has earned that benefit of the doubt.

Tony was a good guy. I meant him multiple times as a former baseball player.

But sometimes change is necessary. And if there was a reason he was let go, then Pitt certainly won't make it public so there is no sense debating or speculating it. Maybe he was let go for a very good reason. We have no idea.

Your question shows that you don't have substantive knowledge on Tony's role with the program the past 30 years. Nor does the person who made this decision, whoever that is, unless there is more to this behind the scenes.

People connected to the program are going to majorly pissed, and this has the ability to sever many ties to the program or administration from basketball and athletic alumni depending on why this was done.

Look....I don't know Tony. Maybe he is the greatest guy in the world. But if people would be willing to sever ties because of an AT being let go, then this shows why Pitt is small time. He is a trainer for god sakes. Not a Head Coach, not a beloved asst coach, but a trainer. I am not taking away from the position, but for the love of God, he is a trainer!

I am sure there was a good reason. Or at least a reason to let him go. People need to be less reactive over such things. As I have stated...he was a trainer.

So there is, or there isn't, more to the story?

If that is true, that there isn't any more to it, then this is outright damning.

Half the time when he walked into the court to see an injured player; it looked like they would have a brief chat and Tony would tell them to rub some Robitussin on the injured area and walk away.

The new "progressive" administration apparently prefers Mucinex.

That kind of wisdom, experience, and historical knowledge through four decades of the program is priceless. There is a reason he has lasted as the head trainer through five coaching regimes.

I don't have a single clue as to why this happened, but just would like to reiterate that this certainly seems surprising. I've talked to Tony dozens of times over the years and have fine respect for him, and I know he was held in high regard by everyone else.

Half the time when he walked into the court to see an injured player; it looked like they would have a brief chat and Tony would tell them to rub some Robitussin on the injured area and walk away.

The new "progressive" administration apparently prefers Mucinex.

We used to yell ... "hey Tony, give him an Advil!"

Look....I don't know Tony. Maybe he is the greatest guy in the world. But if people would be willing to sever ties because of an AT being let go, then this shows why Pitt is small time. He is a trainer for god sakes. Not a Head Coach, not a beloved asst coach, but a trainer. I am not taking away from the position, but for the love of God, he is a trainer!

I am sure there was a good reason. Or at least a reason to let him go. People need to be less reactive over such things. As I have stated...he was a trainer.

He is more than just a trainer to a lot of people in the program and to student-athlete experience. The quotes in this article about him say it all.
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/29/sports/ncaabasketball/29coaches.html

He is more than just a trainer to a lot of people in the program and to student-athlete experience. The quotes in this article about him say it all.
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/29/sports/ncaabasketball/29coaches.html

Plenty of good people get let go. That wasn't my point. He may be the greatest guy ever. But remember college athletics are a business and should be treated as such.

Besides, no one as of yet has mentioned the cause/reason. I am just saying lets not get feathers ruffled for a trainer being let go.

Plenty of good people get let go. That wasn't my point. He may be the greatest guy ever. But remember college athletics are a business and should be treated as such.

Besides, no one as of yet has mentioned the cause/reason. I am just saying lets not get feathers ruffled for a trainer being let go.

To that point, I'll just quote:

“He’s one of those people in college athletics that the outside world does not appreciate,” Miller said of Salesi. “If you’re a coach or player and been a part of Pitt basketball, you know how much he means.”

It is a business, but college athletics is also built on tradition. You get alumni donors by appealing to that sense of commitment to a place that was home.

Reactions: BApanther

If people are severing their ties with Pitt athletics over a trainer than they're terrible fans already looking for an excuse to do so.

Again, I will just reiterate that we were all praising Lyke for "getting it", understanding college athletics, making good decisions, etc...

I find it hard to believe she would let go a guy so well respected who has been here for so long for no reason.

And for legal purposes, I am sure she is not going to disclose if there were actual reasons for him being let go.

Reactions: FireballZ
Again, I will just reiterate that we were all praising Lyke for "getting it", understanding college athletics, making good decisions, etc...

I find it hard to believe she would let go a guy so well respected who has been here for so long for no reason.

And for legal purposes, I am sure she is not going to disclose if there were actual reasons for him being let go.

This is why Chris should ban the term "gets it" on these boards. Because a coach/AD/player/fan only "gets it" until they step on a fan's particular thing they care about. Then they throw a hissy fit and start questioning that person's judgment.

We're talking about a trainer. Not a coach. Not a coach. A trainer.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I mean, from a purely results viewpoint, a highly qualified and experienced AT that ensures that the players are as healthy as possible on a nightly basis throughout the course of a long season is a really big deal.

Clearly the last two years prove this. I mean we have UPMC literally FEET away. Do you really think we will have a hard time finding quality care?

Pitt fans will bitch about anything...no script, bitch. No on campus stadium, bitch. Buddy Morris was fired, bitch. A friggin trainer fired, bitch.

Clearly the last two years prove this. I mean we have UPMC literally FEET away. Do you really think we will have a hard time finding quality care?

Pitt fans will bitch about anything...no script, bitch. No on campus stadium, bitch. Buddy Morris was fired, bitch. A friggin trainer fired, bitch.
Buddy Morris lol. that dude was a pantherlair legend..

I'm not going to blow a gasket without knowing more information. Maybe it's a mutual agreement becaust Tony wants to avail himself of some other opportunity, or maybe they couldn't come to an agreement over duties in his contract. We shall see....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT