ADVERTISEMENT

WTH? Tony Salesi let go.

College athletics is a big business.
Quote from the Godfather than sums this up:
Michael: It’s not personal, Sonny. It’s strictly business.

The AD in this case Lyke is repsonsible for the budget and controlling costs.

Recently Lyke hired new coaches, extended other coaches, so I'm sure Lyke has one eye on how the Pitt athletic expenditures compare to budgeted expenditures.

As a competent executive Lyke is looking at areas where she can save some money to offsett over budget expenditures.

HR runs Comp calculations which rate jobs and assign a low - mid- and max compensation rate for each job in an organization.

If a person stays in one job for their career they usually exceed the max comp rate and if they're not offering something extra their value to the organization declines.

In a budget "squeeze" other than non comp controllable costs, comp is the first place good executives look to cut costs! This is a perfect example of a cost savings opportunity. Bring in a new person at probably half the cost of this senior employee. This person should be able to retire with some incentive severance pay from PITT.
People costs are big bucks because they include base pay, + benefit costs.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Change is inevitable . Unless they release a statement ,that’s accurate, no one will ever know the real reasons behind the move .
I knew an upper level employee of the athletic department who was fired after many yrs of loyal service the first day Smiley took the job . This was during the times of the Golden Panthers and he had enough dirt on Pitt to bury them . He sued Pitt for wrongful termination and won , but never threatened to expose their indiscretions if they didn’t settle even after being treated like he was . Because he said “I'm a Pitt man “ Good men like that are hard to come by and I think Pitt just lost another one .
Ps ..the graveyard is full of indispensable men and women . Having great people behind the scenes is great , but unless they win very few fans will be affected by moves like this .

Last edited:
Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Change is inevitable . Unless they release a statement ,that’s accurate, no one will ever know the real reasons behind the move .
I knew an upper level employee of the athletic department who was fired after many yrs of loyal service the first day Smiley took the job . This was during the times of the Golden Panthers and he had enough dirt on Pitt to bury them . He sued Pitt for wrongful termination and won , but never threatened to expose their indiscretions if they didn’t settle even after being treated like he was . Because he said “I'm a Pitt man “ Good men like that are to come by and I think Pitt just lost another one .
Ps ..the graveyard is full of indispensable men and women . Having great people behind the scenes is great , but unless they win very few fans will be affected by moves like this .
∆∆∆∆∆
Quite true.

What is to this change, because on the surface, this is appears to be a very poor decision by Capel and leads me to question his judgement.

That kind of wisdom, experience, and historical knowledge through over three decades of the program is priceless. There is a reason he has lasted as the head trainer through five coaching regimes.

This is a restructuring. He has reportedly been reassigned to a new role. That's all. He wasn't fired. This happens all of the time elsewhere. Restructuring is a way of life now.

This is a restructuring. He has reportedly been reassigned to a new role. That's all. He wasn't fired. This happens all of the time elsewhere. Restructuring is a way of life now.
Has anyone informed Gilbert Brown or is he gone forever already?

Will be interesting to see who the new trainer is. Maybe Capel has a cousin who needs a job.
I have to admit, as much as I think the Capel hire was the right fit at the right time, his subsequent hiring of his brother to fill an AC vacancy was a bit of an eyebrow raiser. Certainly not the best optics.

Will be interesting to see who the new trainer is. Maybe Capel has a cousin who needs a job.
I have to admit, as much as I think the Capel hire was the right fit at the right time, his subsequent hiring of his brother to fill an AC vacancy was a bit of an eyebrow raiser. Certainly not the best optics.
Yeah- a North Carolina native, former head coach, and acc star-
Who can recruit and and sell Jeff’s vision.

LOL... wow...

Reactions: FireballZ
These days employees have to "multi task", be flexible, accept change/new ideas/intiatives, and be capable of doing the new things.

Leveraging the workforce is what's happening today.

One of our kids replaced a guy with 30+ years as Mfg Mgr in his company. The 30 + year guy was just the Mfg Mgr. Our kid is the Mfg Mgr, one of the Safety Lead Team, 5S coordinator, and he's taking Six Sigma courses.
The previous guy was forced to retire because he didn't agree with lots of the new intiatives and wasn't interested in learning new stuff.

This happens everyday today! Lyke and Capel are just doing their jobs transitioning PITT to a new style organization.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Reactions: H2P28 and PantherO
I'd love to know how many people knew who this guy was before yesterday.
Change isn't always bad and we really don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

If you've stuck with Pitt through the past 10 years and are now getting worked up over this, then I don't know what to say.

I'm not going to blow a gasket without knowing more information. Maybe it's a mutual agreement becaust Tony wants to avail himself of some other opportunity, or maybe they couldn't come to an agreement over duties in his contract. We shall see....
I like you Buckage, funny but true

If his brother never coached you might have a point, but it's pretty hard to say his brother isn't qualified to be a #2 assistant. If the guy is qualified for the job who cares if he hires his brother?

Reactions: FireballZ
Just curious, where does it say she is replacing Salesi?

Associate AD title differs from Salesi's Associate AD title, but it matches job posted when he was re-assigned and the first sentence of paragraph #4 notes that she is the trainer of the Men's hoops team.

Pitt wouldn't put that in the article, but that's what's happening.
She’s 10x more qualified for the job description than Salesi is, no matter how good he is/was in his most recent position. The job description changed.

Associate AD title differs from Salesi's Associate AD title, but it matches job posted when he was re-assigned and the first sentence of paragraph #4 notes that she is the trainer of the Men's hoops team.
Thanks. I missed the note about being the men’s basketball trainer.

She’s 10x more qualified for the job description than Salesi is, no matter how good he is/was in his most recent position. The job description changed.
That's not even remotely true. Never worked with basketball. Salesi has 3 degrees and extensive teaching experience as well as publications. This bs press release talks about her improvements in the concussion program at EMU. Meanwhile, Pitt is known for DEVELOPING the concussion protocol, and Salesi is on academic publications with the researchers. This is politics, and likely Hoppe hiring a lackey to work with. Or some worse type of nepotism. Probably things he's doing on the backend of things will come to light.
This woman doesn't have any additional qualifications. Nothing against her personally because I've never met her, but Lyke and Hoppe are just bringing in one of their own to make sure they get credit for the work of others. The collab with WPIC was happening long before they got on the scene, but they want to pad their CV for their next AD job search. No respect for Pitt or Pitt tradition, or a real Pitt guy. Just self-serving.

AD and Hoppe trying keep boosters and former players from noticing their move.
lolwat. Boosters? You think boosters are going to stop supporting the University because of this. There are a few MBB players (who don't donate) complaining and then superfans on here who don't like it, but aren't going to stop supporting Pitt because of it.

Reactions: Ski11585
That's not even remotely true. Never worked with basketball. Salesi has 3 degrees and extensive teaching experience as well as publications. This bs press release talks about her improvements in the concussion program at EMU. Meanwhile, Pitt is known for DEVELOPING the concussion protocol, and Salesi is on academic publications with the researchers. This is politics, and likely Hoppe hiring a lackey to work with. Or some worse type of nepotism. Probably things he's doing on the backend of things will come to light.
This woman doesn't have any additional qualifications. Nothing against her personally because I've never met her, but Lyke and Hoppe are just bringing in one of their own to make sure they get credit for the work of others. The collab with WPIC was happening long before they got on the scene, but they want to pad their CV for their next AD job search. No respect for Pitt or Pitt tradition, or a real Pitt guy. Just self-serving.
Is it possible that he was stuck in his ways and didn’t see eye to eye with Lyke? Or maybe Capel wanted his own person instead of the same guy who has been around for years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT