ADVERTISEMENT

WTH? Tony Salesi let go.

To that point, I'll just quote:

“He’s one of those people in college athletics that the outside world does not appreciate,” Miller said of Salesi. “If you’re a coach or player and been a part of Pitt basketball, you know how much he means.”

It is a business, but college athletics is also built on tradition. You get alumni donors by appealing to that sense of commitment to a place that was home.

You can definitely tell the people who have not been around the basketball program or the athletic department based on their responses in this thread.

I'm not going to blow a gasket without knowing more information. Maybe it's a mutual agreement becaust Tony wants to avail himself of some other opportunity, or maybe it they couldn't come to some agreement over duties in his contract. We shall see....

It doesn't sound mutual, but the rest could be true. It will come out soon enough.

Last edited:
This is why Chris should ban the term "gets it" on these boards. Because a coach/AD/player/fan only "gets it" until they step on a fan's particular thing they care about. Then they throw a hissy fit and start questioning that person's judgment.

We're talking about a trainer. Not a coach. Not a coach. A trainer.

Ski the social warrior, free speech?? ban the word, phrase, book, or person And he doesn't buy tickets, donate a penny, or attend PITT sports but he's "all in" on the Free Pantherlair board???

Talk about "fake news" how about "fake people."???

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: paulbl99
I'm not going to blow a gasket without knowing more information. Maybe it's a mutual agreement becaust Tony wants to avail himself of some other opportunity, or maybe they couldn't come to an agreement over duties in his contract. We shall see....

I'm telling you, it's not mutual.

Look....I don't know Tony. Maybe he is the greatest guy in the world. But if people would be willing to sever ties because of an AT being let go, then this shows why Pitt is small time. He is a trainer for god sakes. Not a Head Coach, not a beloved asst coach, but a trainer. I am not taking away from the position, but for the love of God, he is a trainer!

I am sure there was a good reason. Or at least a reason to let him go. People need to be less reactive over such things. As I have stated...he was a trainer.
You would have to know him, and his work through the years.

Reactions: BApanther and bwh05
Clearly the last two years prove this. I mean we have UPMC literally FEET away. Do you really think we will have a hard time finding quality care?

Pitt fans will bitch about anything...no script, bitch. No on campus stadium, bitch. Buddy Morris was fired, bitch. A friggin trainer fired, bitch.

Because Tony is a great guy who's also great at what he does. Plus he's dedicated a big chunk of his life to the service of Pitt athletics. You may not care about people like that, and that's your prerogative, but I do and he deserved better.

You can definitely tell the people who have not been around the basketball program or the athletic department based on their responses in this thread.

Right, I can see how the casual fan wouldn't get it. Guys like Buddy Morris, Bob Junko, Ox, & Tony, that the players love that spanned generations are the heart and soul of the department. The guys (and donors) love coming back, seeing a familiar face and telling stories about the old days, even if the coaches change constantly. You can't replace that kind of connection and tradition. People that aren't inside probably don't get that.

Last edited:
If Capel turns the program around, then most people will forget about this.

It is true that most people in the stands and watching on TV won't even really know about it one way or the other, which is sort of a shame for how big of a part of the program Tony has been for so long. Former people associated with the program will not forget and it is definitely raising eyebrows in a very bad way.

For some alumni, he is the only connection left to the program. Personally, it won't affect me as far as how I view my connection, but it will certainly affect some. It certainly will color my view of the person(s) responsible for the decision if there isn't some unknown good reasoning behind it.

I dunno, I guess an analogy might be if they just fired Junko or EJ.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Right, I can see how the casual fan wouldn't get it. Guys like Buddy Morris, Bob Junko, Ox, & Tony, that the players love that spanned generations are the heart and sole of the department. The guys (and donors) love coming back, seeing a familiar face and telling stories about the old days, even if the coaches change constantly. You can't replace that kind of connection and tradition. People that aren't inside probably don't get that.

Ox is a good example. Mouse is too. Just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: bwh05

CP, you know I respect your posts and agree on almost everything, but I think what some people don't understand is this is the second time you've come on here and blown a gasket with regard to a move the athletic department has made w/o knowing the full story.

At least that is my view. The guy obviously is very well respected, and I know people that have played on the team and have been around the athletic program. It sucks. But we don't know the full story yet, and unfortunately, when there are new leaders, sometimes they want their own people. It happens everywhere.

If Pitt fan are going to disassociate themselves from the athletic department because of this, even if the department has shown it is willing to invest into it's programs, and we are showing improvement across the board IMO, then we are in bigger trouble then we all thought.

This isn't a crisis for Pitt in the sense that it shouldn't have a significant impact on the basketball program, but it rubs me the wrong way to hear people say he's just a trainer. He's not, he has supervisory responsibilities that go beyond merely being a trainer. Aside from that, he's been here for over 30 years. That degree of tenure alone ensures that his impact on the program is likely to be disproportionate to the specific role he occupies. Finally, like others have said, he's a trainer. Not a coach. Not a guy who has to sometimes be an asshole to get results. On the contrary, a guy who, by virtue of his role, can have a positive impact that goes beyond the court. Coaches can too, obviously, but it's always struck me as similar to a parent/child vs grandparent/grandchild with regard to the implicit social contract underlying said relationships.

All that said, I'm not going to judge the decision without knowing the facts, but I don't think it's accurate to say "he's just a trainer, who cares".

Is he totally gone? Didn't he also have other duties at the University?

That's a good question. His title is the Executive Associate Athletic Director, Coaches and Performance. He's had is hands in administrative roles and I believe even taught in SHRS and EDU, so I think, in the very least, they could probably find something for him.

CP, you know I respect your posts and agree on almost everything, but I think what some people don't understand is this is the second time you've come on here and blown a gasket with regard to a move the athletic department has made w/o knowing the full story.

At least that is my view. The guy obviously is very well respected, and I know people that have played on the team and have been around the athletic program. It sucks. But we don't know the full story yet, and unfortunately, when there are new leaders, sometimes they want their own people. It happens everywhere.

If Pitt fan are going to disassociate themselves from the athletic department because of this, even if the department has shown it is willing to invest into it's programs, and we are showing improvement across the board IMO, then we are in bigger trouble then we all thought.

What was the first? Because if it was blowing the Santoro interview, it was worth gasket blowing. That was a huge F* up.

Reactions: BApanther and bwh05
This isn't a crisis for Pitt in the sense that it shouldn't have a significant impact on the basketball program, but it rubs me the wrong way to hear people say he's just a trainer. He's not, he has supervisory responsibilities that go beyond merely being a trainer. Aside from that, he's been here for over 30 years. That degree of tenure alone ensures that his impact on the program is likely to be disproportionate to the specific role he occupies. Finally, like others have said, he's a trainer. Not a coach. Not a guy who has to sometimes be an asshole to get results. On the contrary, a guy who, by virtue of his role, can have a positive impact that goes beyond the court. Coaches can too, obviously, but it's always struck me as similar to a parent/child vs grandparent/grandchild with regard to the implicit social contract underlying said relationships.

All that said, I'm not going to judge the decision without knowing the facts, but I don't think it's accurate to say "he's just a trainer, who cares".

This is pretty much how I feel.

He was much more than "just a trainer" at least from the people I know that have dealt with him, but at the same time, I don't think this should be reflected as some sort of crisis for Pitt as well.

People are emotional right now.

By the way, this is a decent thread in which to mention that the term is "athletic trainer" not "trainer". Athletic trainers mostly have their masters degrees at this point.

I know no one cares, but I though that I would throw that out there.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
This is pretty much how I feel.

He was much more than "just a trainer" at least from the people I know that have dealt with him, but at the same time, I don't think this should be reflected as some sort of crisis for Pitt as well.

People are emotional right now.

It isn't a crisis as far as the overall, long-view operational success of the basketball program, athletic department, or university. Who called it a crisis?

However, how people treat people reflects on them and this has the potential to alienate a lot of people that are close to the program. If things are as they appear, people are upset for good reason.

Just when I think I've seen the most Pitt thing ever, someone ups the ante. Players are going to sever ties over this?!? When the hell were they ever tied in the first place? Pitt has the weakest, most disinterested, whiniest group of former athletes imaginable. If it wasn't for Tony D, Fitz and Wanny we would never hear a positive word from a former athlete about their alma mater. Peterson was a terrible AD who gets a lot of flack about not nurturing ties with alumni. Maybe he just got tired of dealing with this self interested and disingenuous group of people, realizing there was no way to keep them in the fold. Other schools have former athletes get upset, but it's always from a standpoint of their rabid love for the school. Our athletes always seem to leave too early, never come back and take shots at Pitt every chance they get.

You can also see you by this thread who the young people are that did not know him and the influence he had on students and athletes at the University he was fully dedicated to Pitt athletes and students. A great mentor to future trainers and very knowledgeable in his field. Unless you knew him then you shouldn’t make a judgment call, he is an outstanding individual. And I doubt there’s more to it... he got the short end of the stick on this.

Reactions: CrazyPaco
Good god.....we hate ourselves don't we. Look, Salesi has been around forever. And I am sure he is a loyal son, good guy. But unless he is diagramming up offensive plays, or putting in defensive schemes, or out on the recruiting trail, this has zero effect on the overall success of the basketball program.

In the business world when someone isn't getting it done, isn't adapting to change, isn't part of the new team, etc no matter how long they've been with the business its pay the person their severance pay due, they can retire or leave.
Done!

The business world is a what have you done for me today way of thinking.

But in a University sports program firing a well respected person, like a 30 year athletic trainer, can have a real negative impact on boosters, donors, fans in general, former athletes who you expect to show up at games, donate, and talk up the PITT athletic programs.

If he was a do nothing hanger on guy who cares but it doesn't sound like he was that type of person??

Interesting!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: BApanther
You can also see you by this thread who the young people are that did not know him and the influence he had on students and athletes at the University he was fully dedicated to Pitt athletes and students. A great mentor to future trainers and very knowledgeable in his field. Unless you knew him then you shouldn’t make a judgment call, he is an outstanding individual. And I doubt there’s more to it... he got the short end of the stick on this.

Things end....

He can be a great guy and it can be time to move on. It isn’t mutually exclusive.

It isn't a crisis as far as the overall, long-view operational success of the basketball program, athletic department, or university. Who called it a crisis?
Aren't you the one shouting from the rafters that every person in the history of Pitt sports was going to be seriously outraged at the termination?

Weren't you the one that said it was damning for the administration if there wasn't an unreleased reason behind the firing?

Jesus, even Chicken Little didn't have the balls to wait 20 minutes then ask everyone what they were panicking about.

Aren't you the one shouting from the rafters that every person in the history of Pitt sports was going to be seriously outraged at the termination?

Weren't you the one that said it was damning for the administration if there wasn't an unreleased reason behind the firing?

Jesus, even Chicken Little didn't have the balls to wait 20 minutes then ask everyone what they were panicking about.

You apparently know how to quote posts, right? Then why do you invent your own conversations. People like you go on ignore.

I will tell you before I hit the ignore button, every single person that I know who is actually connected to Pitt basketball, former players and staff, were shocked and pissed off by this news. Some are also doing a lot more than me just posting on a message board. So the AD would be served well to get out ahead of this because it is taking on a life of its own within the Pitt basketball community.

Reactions: BApanther
That's a good question. His title is the Executive Associate Athletic Director, Coaches and Performance. He's had is hands in administrative roles and I believe even taught in SHRS and EDU, so I think, in the very least, they could probably find something for him.

I won't pretend to be a secret insider, but second hand information that I am hearing on campus is that he was re-assigned, but remains employed by Pitt. It's being implied that the re-org decision came from within the SHRS AT Program academic leadership, and not Capel nor Lyke.

I won't pretend to be a secret insider, but second hand information that I am hearing on campus is that he was re-assigned, but remains employed by Pitt. It's being implied that the re-org decision came from within the SHRS AT Program academic leadership, and not Capel nor Lyke.

Interesting, thank you for that. Also weird.

It appears this isn't something that Tony wanted.

I would be somewhat relieved if this decision didn't come by way of people in the athletic department. But also concerning if SHRS would override coaches or athletic administrators preferences.

Well saying nothing says something... if it was something like a reappointment and they were excited about it don’t you think they would make a big fun post? Don’t want to argue just hate to see him go w this rumor
Pitt hopefully will recognize all the good he did

None, and his profile page hasn't been removed. This spread like wildfire through email and twitter, etc.

Reactions: CrazyPaco
A poster on the pay board said basically the same thing.

You apparently know how to quote posts, right? Then why do you invent your own conversations. People like you go on ignore.

I will tell you before I hit the ignore button, every single person that I know who is actually connected to Pitt basketball, former players and staff, were shocked and pissed off by this news. Some are also doing a lot more than me just posting on a message board. So the AD would be served well to get out ahead of this because it is taking on a life of its own within the Pitt basketball community.

He's got most of the board on ignore.
Half the fun is dealing with people who don't agree with you or like you on message boards.

Why post on a message board if you "ignore" people that you don't agree with??
Another free speech avocate?
What a joke alot of you are!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

as others here have stated, its a business. Big business.

Maybe this is an example of corporate downsizing? Tony has been here so long...he brings home a nice fat paycheck.

Maybe too fat??

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I think my post alluded to the fact that I certainly may not know the whole story. His firing is also absolutely stunning, so I can't at all understand it on the surface.
Maybe you should have kept original your post to just “I may not know the whole story.”

This isn’t accurate

The AD reassigned him, and temporarily at that.

ADVERTISEMENT