ADVERTISEMENT

WVU - Everything That is Wrong With Education

Well, it does matter because opinion articles don't have to be grounded in reality. But they are accountable. Student loans aren't something you can bankrupt your way out of. Even the programs that you deem worthy are difficult if not impossible to pay back because of how the loans are structured. It's not the school or the program. It's the way the loans work.
I'm not sure what your points are.

1) I listed the articles because they discussed a topic that your or someone said they never of. An opinion article that talks about the topic still highlights the topic.

2) I've always stated that grad is responsible for the loan. I've never varied from that stance. The point about the school is that they need to be being held accountable for putting out next-to-worthless degrees while reaping the benefits of loans creating demand/higher tuition for such degrees. When politicians talk about the taxpayer paying for that debt, it behooves people to start looking at the source of the problem rather than shifting who pays to someone not involved.

I've always stated that grad is responsible for the loan. I've never varied from that stance. The point about the school is that they need to be being held accountable for putting out next-to-worthless degrees while reaping the benefits of loans creating demand/higher tuition for such degrees. When politicians talk about the taxpayer paying for that debt, it behooves people to start looking at the source of the problem rather than shifting who pays to someone not involved.
Oh! You just don't like that people study things like history and philosophy. Why didn't you just say so at the beginning?

Oh! You just don't like that people study things like history and philosophy. Why didn't you just say so at the beginning?
Because that isn't true. I said in one of my first posts that all students should get exposed to these topics and that some should specialize in them in order to teach them.

Don't start making stuff up.

You called those degrees "next-to-worthless". Don't know how else to take it.
That comment was based on their value in the marketplace. not on their value in education. I don't know how that wasn't since that phrase was used in the discussion of tuition and loans.

That's kind of worse. Makes it sound like you think that only people that can afford a course of education at face value should be allowed to pursue it.
I do think that people who can afford an education (through past or future income) should pursue it., as compared to someone who wants the taxpayer to pay for it. I don't know why that hasn't been clear.

It's clear but has zero to do with the discussion or any of my comments before you jumped in.
I didn't jump in with that. It evolved to that and you participated. Now you're saying you can't follow along?

Couldn’t disagree more. Language, writing , critical thinking , creativity, the arts… all such important skills and worthy pursuits .

I'll agree that those areas of study are very important, but should have been covered all through grade school and high school. However, it seems that when many kids get to college, they can barely read or write. And why aren't life skills like budgets, balancing a checkbook, basic finance taught in high school? Probably because most teachers don't know how to teach it.

I think a big part of the challenge is that more students are attending college who are less smart. In the past, smarter students dedicating themselves to degrees like Philosophy and creative writing could go on to get an advanced degree or could simply get a decent job having a college degree. Now, a student with a philosophy or gender studies degree who also isn't above average intelligence isn't going to be highly sought after in the job market.

Gender studies??? LOL! That's a funny one! Who would have ever thought there would be a degree someday studying something so basic?

I'll agree that those areas of study are very important, but should have been covered all through grade school and high school. However, it seems that when many kids get to college, they can barely read or write. And why aren't life skills like budgets, balancing a checkbook, basic finance taught in high school? Probably because most teachers don't know how to teach it.
Balance a Checkbook?? Would you like to bring typewriting class back as well?

Let’s stick with teaching them modern skills that are useful. I’m sure teachers today could handle that as opposed to your outdated idea.

Reactions: pierre93
Balance a Checkbook?? Would you like to bring typewriting class back as well?

Let’s stick with teaching them modern skills that are useful. I’m sure teachers today could handle that as opposed to your outdated idea.

Why are so many Gen Z kids failing at basic life skills, running up huge amounts of debt, unable to perform basic budgeting and finance operations for themselves? Most don't even know their net worths or financial markets that are appropriate today. It shows in their complete ignorance and failures in life. Instead, you like so many on here enjoy taking backhanded or direct swipes at other posters. Typical but expected.

Why are so many Gen Z kids failing at basic life skills, running up huge amounts of debt, unable to perform basic budgeting and finance operations for themselves? Most don't even know their net worths or financial markets that are appropriate today. It shows in their complete ignorance and failures in life. Instead, you like so many on here enjoy taking backhanded or direct swipes at other posters. Typical but expected.
You understood all of that coming out of high school? Not taking a side but worrying about financial markets was pretty far from my radar for a long time.

There's a long list of what's wrong in academia. I wouldn't include an attempt to inject fiscal responsibility on that list.

If you read the article it details where the bloated budgets and waste are… the administration… big f@cking surprise there… it’s been the truth for at least 3 decades
The article is nothing but a hit piece because the cuts were the sacred liberal arts and humanities programs. If they cut engineering - there would be no such article written.

And the REAL truth is Gordon Gee is an idiot (as well as notorious Pitt hater). He did the same thing while at Ohio State - massive capital construction budget - whether or not WVU/West Virginia could support the expense or attract the students to fill and pay for those new buildings. Have you been to Morgantown? It's not recognizable to 20 years ago - the dope spent money they didn't have and had no hope of getting.

I met Gordon Gee 25 years ago and I swore he had dementia. WVU hires this clown(again)?? They got what they deserved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT