ADVERTISEMENT

WVU - Everything That is Wrong With Education

Just not sure how to answer your question because the question doesn't make sense in any context. Just about every loan for just about anything you can purchase negates profits. Student loans, with the way they're constructed, would make every course of study a bad bet if the school had to pay for it. But that is all pretty far from the point.

And even if you're correct and these departments aren't profitable, it's not like businesses run everything at a profit either.
It must too hard to answer a simple question.

I don't think any business ever avoided a profit center just because the consumer's outcomes were typically poor. There are actually entire business models that depend on ignoring consumer outcomes.
Any business that ignores poor consumer outcomes is a business bound for failure.

The big oil company I worked for looked at customers as a lifelong relationship and did everything it could to make things right when customers complained.

I think this is an unfortunate situation. I fundamentally do not believe that a public university is a business; it’s a public good held in the public trust, no different than public transportation, parks, libraries, K-12 public schools, even our publicly-owned forests, rivers, and other similar things. They’re essential, they’re important, and it’s a shame to see what’s happening to them.

I also have a very bad feeling that similar actions and attacks will come to Pennsylvania’s public schools in short order, and you could probably argue that the underlying attack began long ago. I’m very proud to say that I attended public schools for my entire education, including my Pitt education, and I think it would be a tremendous shame for a school like Pitt to be forced to return to being a private school in order to escape the spurious whims and the attacks of the people who like to create these hostage crises.

It wasn’t always this way. There was a time where both political ideologies believed in supporting public education, rather than trying everything in the book to starve it out of existence. I think it’s just really unfortunate.

Reactions: Ski11585
It must too hard to answer a simple question.
There was nothing simple about the question. You're trying to apply fictional conditions and expect a meaningful answer without any conditions. Not sure if it's an attempt to make me look dumb or it's the only way you feel like you can justify your position. I did my best with it. Sorry it's not good enough.

I guess my point is that they have a plan and are doing what they think is the best way out of it. One can look at financials but that doesn’t tell the whole tale. And sadly there are always going to be victims in these situations and someone is going to be unhappy.

Just like in business. Disney recently cut 7000 employees. Closed down a major hotel attraction a year after it opened. Laid off TV personalities. Cut their visual effects team including the senior VP. Someone is going to bear the brunt of these things. There are several ways to skin a cat or in this case trim the fat. People want to rip WVU because ideologically their cut’s impact the departments that they support. But mistakes get made and cuts need to be made. I’m sure these were tough decisions. But I suppose it’s fun for some to rip them for them.

What's funny (or sad) here is that they cut those jobs at least in part because of the idiotic decision making of the executives, who likely still have their jobs. The Disney visual effects team doesn't strike me as a problem. The Star Wars and Marvel movies and shows all seem to (mostly) look good. Yet the Senior VP of Visual Effects got the ax while the dolts who greenlighted that stupid Star Wars hotel (i.e. Kathleem Kennedy) someone still have jobs earning millions per year. Hmm.

Last edited:
What's funny (or sad) here is that they cut those jobs at least in part because of the idioc decision making of the executives, who likely still have their jobs. The Disney visual effects team doesn't strike me as a problem. The Star Wars and Marvel movies and shows all seem to (mostly) look good. Yet the Senior VP of Visual Effects got the ax while the dolts who greenlighted that stupid Star Wars hotel (i.e. Kathleem Kennedy) someone still have jobs earning millions per year. Hmm.
Kathleen Kennedy has pictures of every man in Hollywood doing compromising things. No other explanation for her to still have a job. You couldn’t do a worse job if you tried.

Reactions: Dan1911
Kathleen Kennedy has pictures of every man in Hollywood doing compromising things. No other explanation for her to still have a job. You couldn’t do a worse job if you tried.

She seems like someone who is really great at getting films made, as long as someone else is there for all of the creative decisions. Like, when someone is a good OL coach, you let him coach up those players, but the mnute he becomes an OC it all goes to hell.

What's funny (or sad) here is that they cut those jobs at least in part because of the idioc decision making of the executives, who likely still have their jobs. The Disney visual effects team doesn't strike me as a problem. The Star Wars and Marvel movies and shows all seem to (mostly) look good. Yet the Senior VP of Visual Effects got the ax while the dolts who greenlighted that stupid Star Wars hotel (i.e. Kathleem Kennedy) someone still have jobs earning millions per year. Hmm.
The higher the exec, the more buddy buddy (and sometimes bed buddies) they are with the Board. So of course THEY are never to blame for anything; it’s always the great unwashed workers. The thing is that this isn’t foreign to private companies. Government and schools are very similar; just the titles are different

She seems like someone who is really great at getting films made, as long as someone else is there for all of the creative decisions. Like, when someone is a good OL coach, you let him coach up those players, but the mnute he becomes an OC it all goes to hell.
Yeah I dunno. Whose fault is it when the writers and directors get fired and replaced after 80% of the film was made as what happened with Solo? And whose fault was it when the decision was made to make 3 sequel stories with 3 different writers and directors and no defined overriding story? Maybe that was Disney dictating to her that they wanted a film released every two years and that was the only way to do it. But it still doesn’t explain lack of continuity between films and no clear direction. Why was Trevorrow fired late in the game? And whose fault is it that every film had significant reshoots and cost overruns…more than the norm? Who thought Ruin Johnson was so awesome that she gave him his own trilogy only to quietly scrap it. Who hired the duo from Game of thrones to develop another trilogy, only to scrap that? Who hired the bimbo who made Wonder Woman 2 trot out a project only for that to quietly get scrapped? Now there’s the woke masterpiece from the Harvey Weinstein prodigy that’s in the can but may never see the light of day. Everything either gets scrapped or gets released and underperforms, other than TFA and Rogue One.

Yeah I dunno. Whose fault is it when the writers and directors get fired and replaced after 80% of the film was made as what happened with Solo? And whose fault was it when the decision was made to make 3 sequel stories with 3 different writers and directors and no defined overriding story? Maybe that was Disney dictating to her that they wanted a film released every two years and that was the only way to do it. But it still doesn’t explain lack of continuity between films and no clear direction. Why was Trevorrow fired late in the game? And whose fault is it that every film had significant reshoots and cost overruns…more than the norm? Who thought Ruin Johnson was so awesome that she gave him his own trilogy only to quietly scrap it. Who hired the duo from Game of thrones to develop another trilogy, only to scrap that? Who hired the bimbo who made Wonder Woman 2 trot out a project only for that to quietly get scrapped? Now there’s the woke masterpiece from the Harvey Weinstein prodigy that’s in the can but may never see the light of day. Everything either gets scrapped or gets released and underperforms, other than TFA and Rogue One.

Because she sucks as the head of LucasFilm. But if you're a director/writer and you need to get your film moving forward, she probably does a great job. Just as long as she isn't in change of creative decisions and choosing the director, involved in the plot, choosing main characters, etc. Then she's an epic disaster of wokeness. It's also worth noting that she played a role in making the hotel based on the Rey /Kylo and set in that universe, which is perfect because the few people who do like those characters have little or no money to spend, while those with money love the OT characters. Absolutely brilliant decision.

Because she sucks as the head of LucasFilm. But if you're a director/writer and you need to get your film moving forward, she probably does a great job. Just as long as she isn't in change of creative decisions and choosing the director, involved in the plot, choosing main characters, etc. Then she's an epic disaster of wokeness. It's also worth noting that she played a role in making the hotel based on the Rey /Kylo and set in that universe, which is perfect because the few people who do like those characters have little or no money to spend, while those with money love the OT characters. Absolutely brilliant decision.
Just an absolute disaster.

There was nothing simple about the question. You're trying to apply fictional conditions and expect a meaningful answer without any conditions. Not sure if it's an attempt to make me look dumb or it's the only way you feel like you can justify your position. I did my best with it. Sorry it's not good enough.
I gave a condition that many discuss as a possible solution to the alleged student loan "crisis". Sure, its fictional now, but it could become very real. It seems that you believe that schools don't recognize that possibility.

State schools, absolutely right. There are plenty of foo foo schools for those who want to flit about and party for five years, to get their “Mrs” degrees, and/or to be indoctrinated in the fringe left or fringe right politics. State schools should certainly offer some humanities, Lit, Art History, Music History, etc for the ‘well rounding’ aspect but concentrate on STEM, because that’s what our country and particularly a state like Wv desperately need.
Many humanity majors started off in PreMed.

They don't have any local banks or, even better, credit unions?

Are local banks not part of the banking industry?

And yes, lots of people don't have access to credit unions (although a lot more do today than they did even 20 years ago).

I went to Fairmont State. Graduated with a 2.1 GPA. Graduated Dec 95. I was wasted every Wednesday thru the time I passed out Saturday night, actually lived above a bar for a year. It cost my mom 24K for 4 1/2 years Tuition books and rent. Make mid 6 figures for the last 10/12 years company vehicle expense account 1.7 million Hilton honors points, only fly first class and all the gas I can steal. Always thought education was overrated. I actually tell some young kids now, just say you have a college degree. Most companies dont even check. Just say you have a business degree from Slippery Rock or Clarion or Glenville St.

Are local banks not part of the banking industry?

And yes, lots of people don't have access to credit unions (although a lot more do today than they did even 20 years ago).
Bottom line - if people want/need banking, they are getting what they want/need from the banking industry. Or they wouldn't be using that bank.

I gave a condition that many discuss as a possible solution to the alleged student loan "crisis". Sure, its fictional now, but it could become very real. It seems that you believe that schools don't recognize that possibility.
Never heard that discussed and I don't know any school that would take over responsibility for student loans unless it's a scheme where they get to operate the loans the same way they are now and reap the profits. It would be easier to just provide grants and forget about it.

Didn't say they were failing them. Don't move the goal posts. Said they didn't care about customer outcomes.
I don't understand how that differs from failing them. What customer outcomes don't they care about?

I don't understand how that differs from failing them. What customer outcomes don't they care about?
Well, let's go back to the original topic. Does the school care if you can't find gainful employment after you secure a degree? Is it actually their problem? Isn't up to the graduate to figure that out? Does it affect the schools business model at all if Johnny gets a degree and can't find employment?

Never heard that discussed and I don't know any school that would take over responsibility for student loans unless it's a scheme where they get to operate the loans the same way they are now and reap the profits. It would be easier to just provide grants and forget about it.
Wow. You really are uninformed. This proposal has been around for several years - and is bipartisan.

Require colleges to cosign on student loans

Why schools need to be accountable for overextending student loans

Well, let's go back to the original topic. Does the school care if you can't find gainful employment after you secure a degree? Is it actually their problem? Isn't up to the graduate to figure that out? Does it affect the schools business model at all if Johnny gets a degree and can't find employment?
The answer to all of your questions is "yes". See my other post above for relevant links.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I’m

because they don’t fail themselves

If they are failing their customers, why don't their customers go elsewhere? The real answer is that their customers aren't failing due to bank policies. They are getting their needs met.

Again, how does that impact customers?

Give me an example where you have been negatively impacted by a bank.

That's kind of the point. I can't be negatively impacted if the government is going to help them when their moral hazard decisions go bad.

Holy cow. Watch the latest episode of South Park about the Panderverse. They attribute all of Disneys problems to Kathleen Kennedy. Hilarious.

Holy cow. Watch the latest episode of South Park about the Panderverse. They attribute all of Disneys problems to Kathleen Kennedy. Hilarious.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT