ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, it's Happened Before: The 2001 Pitt Panthers.

ButtPilgrim

Freshman
Nov 27, 2017
I don't think anyone's saying Pitt is turning this thing around, but it wouldn't be the biggest turnaround in Pitt history if they did.

Didn't Pitt start running a completely different offense that season after they were 1-5? If we come out in the Single Wing T against Louisville, perhaps I'll be a believer. Otherwise, 3-9 at best.

Our QB then was much much much better, just to begin with. And he ain’t changing that. He has made that clear.

But they aren’t changing squat either way. They know the crap Pitt admin doesn’t give a shit and aren’t firing anyone

Reactions: Jim Z
The remaining seven teams on the schedule have a combined 27-7 record. But this is Pitt, so I would honestly not be surprised if the unimaginable happened.

Didn't Pitt start running a completely different offense that season after they were 1-5? If we come out in the Single Wing T against Louisville, perhaps I'll be a believer. Otherwise, 3-9 at best.
Walt was running the no huddle to start the year. He was ahead of the curve by like a decade. It also didn’t work.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Walt was running the no huddle to start the year.
Walt also had a wealth of knowledge of offense, not only to change, but implement the change during the season, hard to do in general, as the saying goes "building the Plane while in the air." Well, yes I would take Walt as OC right now come to think of it.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
Walt was running a no huddle spread attack that was 10 yrs ahead of its time. He rightfully saw that our guys were ill equipped and went to a more pro style approach. That was the year we lost to south Florida years before they jumped up to D1 (if memory serves correct)

Yes they ran the spread west coast offense

Then after BC abandoned it entirely

I was at the home games that year VT was unbelievable PITT ran the same sideline pass formation to both sides VT never adjusted

Reactions: Farnox
Walt was running a no huddle spread attack that was 10 yrs ahead of its time. He rightfully saw that our guys were ill equipped and went to a more pro style approach. That was the year we lost to south Florida years before they jumped up to D1 (if memory serves correct)
That was USF's first season in Division 1A and only their 5th season overall, legit one of the worse losses in Pitt history.

Walt also had a wealth of knowledge of offense, not only to change, but implement the change during the season, hard to do in general, as the saying goes "building the Plane while in the air." Well, yes I would take Walt as OC right now come to think of it.
Walt is a little too new school to be on Duzz radar for OC. What's Matt Cavanaugh up to?

I was at the home games that year VT was unbelievable PITT ran the same sideline pass formation to both sides VT never adjusted
I remember that game, it was like a guaranteed first down every time.

Specifically remember walking to the VT game telling my dad how Pitt could still make a bowl and him telling me repeatedly that it wasn't going to happen.

I remember Walt would alway give the backup QB playing time in the second quarter every game. Sure would come in handy now.

I don’t think he even named a starter at QB in 2010 until like the 8th game of the year.

I loved Walt as HC, basically because I prefer offense, especially passing offense over conservative run offense and defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT