ADVERTISEMENT

You run the ball 4 times. Period.

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
That VT game is still in his head. I know our OL cant block but you have to get a yard. 2 passes then a FG will be something that I will unfortunately never forget. The only good news is I bet $1000 on PSU to win outright to win $170 to ease my pain ever so slightly.

That VT game is still in his head. I know our OL cant block but you have to get a yard. 2 passes then a FG will be something that I will unfortunately never forget. The only good news is I bet $1000 on PSU to win outright to win $170 to ease my pain ever so slightly.
Well, you run twice.. and maybe have a rpo on 3rd down.

But regardless, you go for it on 4th down.

I don’t think you run the ball every time, although ok 4 QB sneaks might not have been a bad idea. However the only call I didn’t like was 1st down. I don’t even mind throwing it with your fullback in there, I just thought the routes they were running were questionable.

Pickett had it on that 1st down play. If he makes the decision to run early he walks into the end zone. Just hesitated a second and it was too late.

Reactions: Ronnyp91 and Pittx9
Pickett had it on that 1st down play. If he makes the decision to run early he walks into the end zone. Just hesitated a second and it was too late.

Thought that live too I was screaming run lol.

That is why you shouldn’t coach. Lol. You are soooo right. Pickett is a big QB. Put a tight end in the backfield and scrum it 4 times. This is not rocket science. They totally played into their hands. This to me is totally unforgivable and he should be REPEATEDLY called out on this forever. If you score great and if you don’t then it can be discussed by both teams into history of how they stuffed Pitt and you move on. Totally gutless.

Reactions: Large Panther
You go for it on 4th down, but the play calls on first, second, and third down were not that bad. They were stone walling us all game. What makes you think we can run the ball at that point?

Why not spread out 4 wide and run? No one ever does that. You have to go cover those guys. It’s easier to win a 5 on 7 battle than a 9 on 11 battle.

If you want to win and have confidence in your team you go for it on 4th. If you just want to be “Good Enough” and have a respectable 17-13 road rivalry loss on your resume you kick the field goal. We know by now what kind of coach Narduzzi is.

Yes - 4 QB sneaks. No handoffs and definitely no passes.
First play was the best time to do a QB sneak. Nowhere near as many men inside the box as the third and goal play and the way their line was aligned, he could’ve followed his center in Pat Bostick-style for the score.

They missed a block or that pass was for a TD
Agree there was not one thing wrong with the play calls.
1st down they were hoping psu would be ready for the run and fail to cover someone. They did a pretty good job, picket likely has a shot to run it in if he decides to run right away but it would have been close after the initial hesitation the window was closed and he wisely threw it away.
2nd a run very similar to the one they scored on but wasn't blocked at all
3rd they had it wide open but someone missed their block if picket has one second more it's a easy td.
4th of course was a missed fg

Reactions: DiehardPanther
That is why you shouldn’t coach. Lol. You are soooo right. Pickett is a big QB. Put a tight end in the backfield and scrum it 4 times. This is not rocket science. They totally played into their hands. This to me is totally unforgivable and he should be REPEATEDLY called out on this forever. If you score great and if you don’t then it can be discussed by both teams into history of how they stuffed Pitt and you move on. Totally gutless.

How many people on here would have been saying "WTF, should have kicked the FG to cut it to 4" if we went for it on 4th and missed it?

How many people on here would have been saying "WTF, should have kicked the FG to cut it to 4" if we went for it on 4th and missed it?

Nobody with any knowledge of football would say that. You play to win, especially on the road. My thought was you go for it, because you may never get that close to the goal-line the rest of the game. It was your best chance to win. All that bravado that comes from Narduzzi is a bunch of baloney. Players can see it's all talk.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Agree there was not one thing wrong with the play calls.
1st down they were hoping psu would be ready for the run and fail to cover someone. They did a pretty good job, picket likely has a shot to run it in if he decides to run right away but it would have been close after the initial hesitation the window was closed and he wisely threw it away.
2nd a run very similar to the one they scored on but wasn't blocked at all
3rd they had it wide open but someone missed their block if picket has one second more it's a easy td.
4th of course was a missed fg

The problem with these play calls is that they all require split second judgment calls from a QB who usually needs 3-4 seconds of time to make a decision. 1st and 2nd downs we score a TD if Pickett commits to the run a split second earlier. 3rd down requires Pickett to make a judgment call in a compressed field and tight time frame...factors that do not play to his strengths.

Even if our running game and interior line suck the beauty of at least two conventional rushes or QB sneaks from the 1 is that it takes the decision making out of the hands of a QB who has yet to prove himself reliable in pressure situations. And before you chalk our running game up as hopeless I'd suggest going back to the tape of our one and only touchdown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT